Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/24/2024 4:19:52 PM EDT
My LGS has a lightly used Sig MCX Virtus for sale.  I'm thinking about buying it.  

Can I tell by ser. # if it is Gen 3?  

Is there a list for AR/Sig MCX compatibility parts?

Spare parts that I would need?

I do intend to wade through the big threads on these but I need to figure this out soon so I don't miss out.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 6:12:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Gen 3? I don’t think there was/is such a thing. There’s the original MCX, the updated MCX virtus and then the spear LT. The original rattler was a virtus variation,or precursor,I can never remember. The rattler has a couple parts specific and non interchangeable to it like the handguard and the op rod
People erroneously called the spear LT a gen 3 before it was released.

Like with most sig products there were some rolling changes within each gen but nothing really worth worrying about enough to do serial # checks, not that that would tell you anyway. The handguard is the easiest way to distinguish between the 3 different models, then receiver length, barrel thickness gas block position and a couple others.

Unless it’s dirt cheap I wouldn’t bother with an original MCX but a virtus is great.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 10:05:47 PM EDT
[#2]
G3k...thanks.  I know nothing about these so I was relying on googling and that is where I saw the references to a gen 3.

It is definitely a Virtus.  It's in great shape.  My ffl took it to the gun show this weekend.  I might grab it if it comes back.  I'm still up in the air on it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 10:49:53 PM EDT
[#3]
It's a fine gun, heavier than the Spear LT but the rail setup is very solid.

Link Posted: 1/28/2024 9:48:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I’ve had my Virtus for about a year now and love the thing. There is very little difference between the Virtus and the Spear LT and the VIRTUS will accept almost all Spear LT parts except the hand guard and a maybe a couple other minor parts I believe.
If it’s a good price, I would snag it.
Cp
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top