Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/27/2023 12:13:27 PM EDT
WTK SIG 551A1 are they Hard to come by?

How reliable are they compared to their SWISS made counterparts?

Any info on this weapon would be appreciated.

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 12:16:34 PM EDT
[#1]
They're not as common as the 556 it's based on but come up for sale often.  Reliable?  By design, yes, but with Sig Exeter it was always a roll of the dice...it's not a given that every example made was perfect.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 1:14:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I wish I had one. Prices have gone nuts since I didn't have the scratch to buy one from OMB guns in 2012.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 8:41:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Meh, they are OK.  Had one and sold.it when JDI started imported the 55X.

you are better off saving for the real.deal.    The older 551A1 had Swiss parts but were still Sig NH rather than Swiss SAN.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 8:57:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JoshNC] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By PGT_0673:
They're not as common as the 556 it's based on but come up for sale often.  Reliable?  By design, yes, but with Sig Exeter it was always a roll of the dice...it's not a given that every example made was perfect.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By PGT_0673:

This is the absolute truth.

Originally Posted By BlackOPs1:
Meh, they are OK.  Had one and sold.it when JDI started imported the 55X.

you are better off saving for the real.deal.    The older 551A1 had Swiss parts but were still Sig NH rather than Swiss SAN.

Agreed.  

At this point, just buy a Swiss 55x imported by JDI.
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 12:58:15 AM EDT
[#5]
I’m happy with my 551A1.  Came with the real Swiss stock, added the MFI rail and sights, flash hider, Swiss 551 handguard, and bayonet lug.  They weren’t out very long, near the end of the 556 production before Sig moved on to the 556xi.  Never had any real interest in the JDI guns.  Aside from not wanting pistols, too expensive and wasn’t interested in being on a waiting list for delivery at some unknown time.

Link Posted: 11/28/2023 5:56:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought one when they came out. I already had a Swiss 551 and 553.  I thought it was a pretty decent rifle for the money. I think they are plenty reliable. The difference between it and the Swiss guns would be long term durability and probably the quality of the barrel.  Most parts will interchange with the Swiss except for the barrel (different trunion). You are limited to using the Swiss mags though. They are superior but pretty pricey now days.
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 6:35:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for all the info y'all.... Very Much Appreciated.

Now I just have to find one at s Decent Price
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 6:26:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Got a early one, swapped out us parts for sans

Runs like a champ

Have a spare 556 lower for ar mags

Mags are a bit spendy
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top