Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/1/2020 11:40:19 PM EDT
Looking for an adjustable length fixed stock for my new build. What are competitive NRA/CMP shooters using these days?  I'm getting back in after 25 years and can't go to a match to scope out the best stocks out there for a 223 Wilde set up due to matches all cancelled.

Looking for something that won't be disqualifying but is good and solid. Want to be able to adjust between stages at the matches to compensate for different positions.

Any suggestions?

( tossing the grenade and running away...)

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Darden
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 12:21:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: panzer] [#1]
Magpul UBR gen 1 is the preferred one, white oak had a run made for them. Gen 2’s are in use but not as well received. I still use an A2. If you shoot nose to charging handle in every position it’s the easy button.

White oak gen 1
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 2:45:40 AM EDT
[#2]
FPNI

Link Posted: 5/3/2020 4:37:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys. I guess there isn't as much controversy on this as I thought.

I guess I'll try one.

Cheers!

Link Posted: 5/4/2020 12:38:17 PM EDT
[#4]
+2 UBR for adj stock.

Try a A1 or A2 first before spending on a UBR and accessories and see if it works for you in all positions esp sitting and prone you may need to move scope far forward to adj eye relief for nose 2 charge handle.

By the time you add Custom weights and striker plate etc the UBR can add up $$$$$.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 10:36:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Loudenboomer_8972] [#5]
Originally Posted By Senator16:
Looking for an adjustable length fixed stock for my new build. What are competitive NRA/CMP shooters using these days?  I'm getting back in after 25 years and can't go to a match to scope out the best stocks out there for a 223 Wilde set up due to matches all cancelled.

Looking for something that won't be disqualifying but is good and solid. Want to be able to adjust between stages at the matches to compensate for different positions.

Any suggestions?

( tossing the grenade and running away...)

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Darden
View Quote

Nothing wrong with a fixed A2 stock. I started with one, and then went to a UBR Gen1, then back to A2. I found that I never needed to adjust my UBR stock. The only thing I adjust is my sling from sitting to prone.

I think the A2 stock bites into my coat better, and cycles the rifle more reliably, thats why I went back.  

Creedmoor sports also sells both the Gen1 and Gen2 UBR's, and the mega-weights.

I have 2 lowers, one with a UBR Gen 1 w/mega weight and extension weight from WOA, and the other is an A2 fixed.  I have experienced cycling issues with the UBR. I was using AR Comp, and have heard of others having the same issues. I tried different weight buffers and spring combinations and still had the same issue. The rifle would short stroke, or fail to lock back. Can't have that in EIC matches.  I'm switching to 8208XBR this year.  I think the the rifle length gas system and carbine recoil system don't work well together sometimes.  I have always had better reliability with the A2 stock. This is my experience. Not saying it's going to happen to you.

Link Posted: 5/17/2020 2:25:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks to all for the info. I'm new here and really feel welcome.

Link Posted: 9/7/2022 9:02:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Went with the UBR Gen 1 and two with the A2 stocks for me and my 2 sons.  Got the weights for both.  Working up loads.  Using Varget for now but hoping to find some IMR 8208xbr in an 8 lb keg - about to give up, but still no 8 pounders for Varget anywhere to be found.  

I really like the UBR, and once i get the loads worked up I can start practicing with the gear to see if I like the UBR better than the A2.  

Thanks for the help!

Darden
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 9:48:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: W_E_G] [#8]
I use the Gen 1 UBR

I hit the plastic cheek piece with the sander to remove the “grippy” texture, and to reduce the thickness and angle of the cheek piece.

I set the length just ONE CLICK out for offhand.
ALL THE WAY OUT for sitting.
ONE CLICK IN for prone.

One of the better shooters on our rifle team uses the Gen 1 with the cheek piece completely removed.

I run standard weight (3.1) ounces carbine buffer, and standard carbine spring.

I used to shoot VARGET. Very good powder, but availability and price have become unacceptable.

Always use MAGNUM primers.

For all targets 300 yards, and closer, I now run 24.2 grains Ramshot TAC with the 69-grain Rocky Mountain Reloading 15-cent match bullet.
https://www.rmrbullets.com/shop/bullets/rifle/224-5-56mm/224-69-gr-rmr-jacketed-hollow-point-boat-tail-3-gun-hunter-bullets-new-2/

Getting very good accuracy with the 69RMR and TAC from the White Oak service rifle upper.  (1:7 twist Wilson barrel).
Magazine-length.

600 yard ammo is 24.0 TAC and Sierra 80 at 2.400” OAL.

Link Posted: 9/7/2022 9:53:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: W_E_G] [#9]
The “enhanced” butt pad fits all the Magpul stocks.

I run it on my service rifle.

The grippy rubber grips my shooting coat really well, and does not chew the rubber on the shoulder of the coat excessively.

Available on Amazon or any number of other sites.

MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/16/2022 5:29:38 PM EDT
[#10]
I like the late A1 stocks with the trap door.  I am short.  An A2 is good in a sweat shirt but I cannot do it with a hardback on.
Link Posted: 12/23/2022 6:07:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Use an A2 stock and don't look back. I use one in xtc matches. I get the nose-to-ch cheekweld in all 3 positions comfortably and there's plenty of eye relief for the optics.
Jon
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top