Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/2/2018 8:57:38 AM EDT
I got into sporting clays a couple years ago because I am an avid waterfowler. I have since found out how much fun and competition is involved in sporting clays! I started off with my duck hunting shotgun, a Steoger 3500 that soon blewup on me and required replacement. I soon found what I believed to be a good price on a new Beretta A400 Xcel and off I went! I have a great group of guys that I shoot with and help couch each other. Most of them shoot Perazzi's, Caesar's or a minimum of Citori's. I have since switched my duck gun to an A400 Xtreme also (Be advised, it shoots MUCH flatter than the xcel) but has a similar recoil reduction system in the stock that I find beneficial.

What is the best course you have shot?

The Gee
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 11:42:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: drfroglegs] [#1]
I got married at Rose Hill plantation in Nashville NC. It has two sporting clays courses and you get access to both courses the day before the wedding for free.

That was my first time shooting and I loved it. I live about 4 miles from it now and go pretty regularly when friends come to town. I usually shoot my Benelli SBE1 but have always wanted an O/U. I'll get one one of these days...

It's managed by Larry Corbit who won the world champion a while back and was #1 ranked in his age group. Such a grounded guy too.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 3:57:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Well “best” being that the club I go to is 5 mins from my house and gets me out of the basement Its a medium size club with 5 man, skeet, sporting clays, and trap. Pretty clean and people there are great. Some of the bigger “better” clubs have some real nut jobs that take it way too seriously and forget that it’s supposed to be fun.

I’m just glad some of my friends are finally getting into shooting. Yesterday 9 of us got out for sporting clays/ trap and it was pretty great. 3 of them basically first time shooters (shot gun wise) and they did alight. Makes it better when you can walk with a beer down the trail as well
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 4:12:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd like to shoot it more, but nearest course is about 70 miles away.

When we lived in So. Cal. we shot at Ozena Valley several time (defunct now I think), Shot Moore n' Moore a few times, and was invited to go along with a group of guys to shoot a new course at Raahauges'  with Dan Carlisle.  That was in the late 80's.

I always liked the Ozena course, but it was an all day thing to get there, shoot, and get home again.

If I recall corectly one of the stations at moore n moore was a small boat hung off of garage door springs, pass shooting high overhead following pairs.  That was a hoot.  I think the ruling body has killed that kind of station though.

Ozena had a flurry station, call once and you got 5 following pairs.  Each pair separated by a few seconds, a 5 count i think.  That was a fun station.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 4:18:38 PM EDT
[#4]
The boat station sounds epic. My favorite is always the rabbit
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 4:19:44 PM EDT
[#5]
The A400 Excel is great.

There are so many great sporting clays courses.  There's one north easts of PGH called Promised Land that is great, it's the right level of challenging and laid back AFAIC.  But in Western PA Seven Springs and Nemacolin are considered the big boys.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 9:43:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Its gaining popularity around here. I remember when I first started waterfowling, the only range I knew of was about 45 minutes away. Now we have 7 or 8 clubs within an hour that shoot sporting clays pretty regularly.

I really like the idea of the "flurry" targets.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 1:00:03 AM EDT
[#7]
I want to start shooting skeet.  I purchased everything that I need so far just finding a spot to shoot now.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 2:12:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quite a bit, actually.  Trap and Skeet, 12 & 20

This was last weekend

Link Posted: 6/20/2018 9:50:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: steve8140] [#9]
I shoot sporting clays on Sunday’s at my local club. Been shooting it for 3-4 years now with a Stoeger m3500.

Just had my bachelor party this past weekend and part of it was at Addieville in Rhode Island with a bunch of friends. Great place and a ton of fun.

Love the Stoeger but it is a heavy gun. Great for clays and hunting but sucks when I shoot 3-gun with it.
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 3:46:51 PM EDT
[#10]
We've shot in AZ, CA, Utah, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Washington and Georgia. Only course I've shot back East was at Wolf Creek back in '96 or so. 1st time shooting in foliage with short windows. Still have the Chipper Jones bat the wife got in the silent auction they had. I'm shooting a small tourney in CO. this coming Sunday. Will be my 1st shoot in a long time. My favorite course was probably the US Open in CA at River Road I believe.
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 4:09:32 PM EDT
[#11]
A few friends and I are headed out next weekend.  I've done it once and it was an absolute blast!
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 6:14:50 PM EDT
[#12]
I shoot clays and love it. Even went so far as to make a buggy shown here with a Benelli M2 American and one of my AR build. Still need to paint or get a good sticker to cover the baby trend name

Link Posted: 7/12/2018 8:04:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bud] [#13]
I shoot sporting clays and sometimes some 5 Stand 2-3 times a week.

I'm heading over to shoot in the Kansas FITASC and 5 Stand state championship this weekend.

There are a a lot of great courses.  The National Gun Club near San Antonio is always good, as is the Dallas Gun Club.  Greater Houston has a nice set up.  Powder Creek in Lenexa, KS is my home club, and has been getting progressively better over the last couple of years.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 5:17:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Bud:
I shoot sporting clays and sometimes some 5 Stand 2-3 times a week.

I'm heading over to shoot in the Kansas FITASC and 5 Stand state championship this weekend.

There are a a lot of great courses.  The National Gun Club near San Antonio is always good, as is the Dallas Gun Club.  Greater Houston has a nice set up.  Powder Creek in Lenexa, KS is my home club, and has been getting progressively better over the last couple of years.
View Quote
Good luck! We were just in KC all week. We were also in Overland Park and Lawrence. I'll throw the shotgun in next time. Girl is looking at KU for school in a couple years.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 5:42:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Join a league .  Handicap like golf .
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 6:06:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By ARLarry:

Good luck! We were just in KC all week. We were also in Overland Park and Lawrence. I'll throw the shotgun in next time. Girl is looking at KU for school in a couple years.
View Quote
Heck yeah.  Drop me a note when you know of your next visit and we will plan to go out and bust a few clays.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 7:33:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Bud:

Heck yeah.  Drop me a note when you know of your next visit and we will plan to go out and bust a few clays.
View Quote
Did you shoot a 95 in FITASC?
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 8:08:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bladeswitcher] [#18]
I'm primarily a skeet shooter. I'm not competitive but generally run 21-24. I have yet to shoot my first 25 after four years of shooting skeet. I have a lot of fun shooting skeet, though. I own a couple dozen shotguns and pretty much shoot a different gun every time. If I'm being serious, I'll shoot my Browning over/under, but I'm just as likely to shoot an old exposed hammer side-by-side or a pump gun. I enjoy buying old shotguns and skeet gives me a chance to use them.

I've shot sporting clays a couple dozen times at most. I pretty much suck at sporting clays. I'm a 50 percent shooter most days. It's fun, though. Makes for a nice outing with a group of buds.

I've shot sporting clay at River Hills in Boonville, MO, Prairie Grove in Millersburg, MO, and my home course, the United Sportsmans Club at Jefferson City, MO. Prairie Grove is the best of the three but I really like my home course. It's a private club and the sporting clays course was built by and staffed by volunteers. It's only a 50 shot course but it's laid out well, primarily in the woods with a bunch of relatively short, sporty stations. It's only $8 for 50 rounds.
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 9:40:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BaconFat] [#19]
One of my favorite place to shoot is Lehigh Valley PA.  Shooting thru the building ruins is pretty cool.  Its hard to see the 2nd clay as it comes out of the big window

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmKqTNgrBCQ
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 4:19:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: builder58] [#20]
Flint Oak is a really nice course. I've only shot there as a guest for events put on by others (some corporate, some private) and it is too far for me to shot regularly to be a member myself but it is really nice and reportedly a "world class" course.

Edit to note that it is in the middle of no-where Kansas.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 9:09:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By builder58:
Flint Oak is a really nice course. I've only shot there as a guest for events put on by others (some corporate, some private) and it is too far for me to shot regularly to be a member myself but it is really nice and reportedly a "world class" course.

Edit to note that it is in the middle of no-where Kansas.
View Quote
Flint Oak has been looking for a new general manager for a while.  Their location seems to limit the pool of qualified candidates.  The job itself would be a blast for someone who likes the outdoors and competitive shotgunning.
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 5:59:15 PM EDT
[#22]
I shoot sporting clays, extreme 5 stand, and skeet pretty often. Luckily for me there is a public skeet range on the Air Force base so its pretty cheap to shoot and also open to the public.
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 2:15:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wingsnthings] [#23]
My 15 yo daughter will shoot sporting clays first time tomorrow. Quail Ridge near Lexington.
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 7:41:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Used to shoot Skeet, now it's Sporting and 5 stand.
Link Posted: 12/19/2019 10:58:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M-60] [#25]
Love sporting clays.  Shoot skeet mostly, because it's cheaper and closer to home.  Sporting clays is hella fun though.

From last Sunday's informal 50 target shoot at Tri-county gun club in Sherwood, OR.

And from a tournament at Mid-Valley clays in Gervis, Or.

Link Posted: 2/18/2020 11:29:51 PM EDT
[#26]
5 Stand, trap, skeet, int skeet yes, SC, nope.
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 11:38:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Shot a round of FITASC yesterday.  It was fun.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 9:20:33 AM EDT
[#28]
Im 16 yo and i shoot with the 4h so we go to a lot of competitions probably my favorite was the meadows down in forsyth GA or Forest city gun club Savannah GA.
But the closest is the cmp in Talladega the others are about 2-5 hours away from me the cmp is 45min I'm shooting a CZ 1012 probably shot 2000 rd through it not one jam or misfire pretty reliable for about 700 dollars may upgrade in the future though.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 12:48:44 AM EDT
[#29]
New life in this thread.  

Still shooting Clays whenever I'm able.   Good times.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 6:17:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By M-60:
New life in this thread.  

Still shooting Clays whenever I'm able.   Good times.
View Quote

yep
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 8:14:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Bump to see if anyone else out there is shooting clays?

I made it to "B" class at this point.  It's a hell of a good time.
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 11:13:12 AM EDT
[#32]
B class checking in from Iowa.

Our targets in Iowa are usually lackluster, but so far this year they've been better. Waiting on the new Zoli I ordered.
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 11:20:29 AM EDT
[#33]
Shooting in a tournament next week.

Will be shooting a buddies Browning Citori 725 Sporting (about a $3k o/u).

Last time I shot it I hit 48/50, my highest score ever (previous high was 42).

This is my first trip this year so I don't expect to set a PR, just excited to go shoot!
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 5:00:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Bump to see if anyone else out there is shooting clays?

I made it to "B" class at this point.  It's a hell of a good time.
View Quote

I'm terribly addicted.  Hope to punch into M this year.
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 7:38:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By SamW:
B class checking in from Iowa.

Our targets in Iowa are usually lackluster, but so far this year they've been better. Waiting on the new Zoli I ordered.
View Quote
Nice!

Zoli makes good stuff from what I hear.  Congrats!
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 7:40:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By drfroglegs:
Shooting in a tournament next week.

Will be shooting a buddies Browning Citori 725 Sporting (about a $3k o/u).

Last time I shot it I hit 48/50, my highest score ever (previous high was 42).

This is my first trip this year so I don't expect to set a PR, just excited to go shoot!
View Quote
Nice!  I'm shooting a 725 sporting as well.  Great gun.  

Any day at the range is better...
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 7:45:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M-60] [#37]
Originally Posted By BigDeeeeeeee:

I'm terribly addicted.  Hope to punch into M this year.
View Quote
That's great!

Some day if I keep at it, I hope to get into the master class.  

It's going to take some time and targets.  I'm only at 2825 lifetime registered targets so far.
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 7:49:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: elementfreak431] [#38]
Sporting clays is great, I shoot a Citori and like it but want to upgrade to something nicer in the future. Maybe a Zoli Z Sport or CG Invictus. Hudson Farm in Andover NJ is the nicest shooting facility I’ve ever been to. There’s nothing else like it.
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 8:17:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Firestarter123] [#39]
I’ve shot it a couple of times and it’s a blast.

Sadly I bought this Browning Cynergy that fits me perfectly and haven’t shot it beyond throwing a few pigeons at the range.

Link Posted: 4/5/2022 8:31:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By drfroglegs:
I got married at Rose Hill plantation in Nashville NC. It has two sporting clays courses and you get access to both courses the day before the wedding for free.

That was my first time shooting and I loved it. I live about 4 miles from it now and go pretty regularly when friends come to town. I usually shoot my Benelli SBE1 but have always wanted an O/U. I'll get one one of these days...

It's managed by Larry Corbit who won the world champion a while back and was #1 ranked in his age group. Such a grounded guy too.
View Quote

Rose hill has great ranges. Live nearby myself. I haven't shot there in quite a while. Need to
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 8:33:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By mech4matsnova:

This was last weekend

https://i.imgur.com/js470y1.jpg
View Quote

That's not sporting clays, not even close
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 8:52:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By entropy:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By entropy:
Originally Posted By mech4matsnova:

This was last weekend

https://i.imgur.com/js470y1.jpg

It's not, but it's good fun too.   I shoot skeet every Saturday that I'm not shooting sporting clays.  Shot a 98/100 last week.  25,25,23,25.    I was pretty happy about that.

Link Posted: 4/7/2022 3:42:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Nice!

Zoli makes good stuff from what I hear.  Congrats!
View Quote

They do. I sold my K-80 and ordered an XL Evo. Got to shoot 'em all at NSCA nats and the balance of the Zoli blew me away. The only thing close is the Perazzi High Tech (my buddy bought one there) but the Zoli is $5k cheaper AND the barrels are silver soldered (not tin) and the support from Zoli USA is great. But if someone sneezes in Europe they shut it all down, so I'm on month 5 of my "3 month" wait for it.

Once it comes in it's off to Wenig for a custom stock....finally
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 4:47:18 PM EDT
[#44]
I shoot SCs or 5 stand about once a week. Shoot mostly around the DFW area and at my local club.  It is about the only shooting competition that interests me anymore. I’m a Beretta O/U guy.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 10:22:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Automaticslim:
I shoot SCs or 5 stand about once a week. Shoot mostly around the DFW area and at my local club.  It is about the only shooting competition that interests me anymore. I'm a Beretta O/U guy.
View Quote
That's awesome!  Well, not the beretta part.  But we'll forgive you.    
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 9:21:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Attachment Attached File

Punched up at Idaho state.  Pressure is off, time to just have fun and break targets with an extra helping of have fun.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 9:25:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By BigDeeeeeeee:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/27773/Screenshot_2022-08-23_at_17-44-14_My_Hom-2500550.JPG

Punched up at Idaho state.  Pressure is off, time to just have fun and break targets with an extra helping of have fun.
View Quote
Congrats!  

I'm still plugging away at "B" class.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 9:42:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BigDeeeeeeee] [#48]
Congrats!  

I'm still plugging away at "B" class.
View Quote

Thank you.

And remember.

Link Posted: 8/25/2022 10:26:38 AM EDT
[#49]
Yes, both my son and I are.....

Best course is within a local drive for us. Both Etowah and Garland Mountain, my gun club has SC as well as other shotgun sports but the courses aren't as nice as Etowah IMO....

Garland Mountain

Etowah Valley
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top