Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/3/2022 5:32:13 PM EDT
I need a new pair.
I shoot USPSA, IDPA, Steel Challenge, Skeet, and rarely Sporting Clays.
I shoot rifles but not in any competition.
I shoot matches indoors and outside.

Suggestions?
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 6:11:26 PM EDT
[#1]
99% of optometrists are utterly clueless as to the needs of shooters.

Shooting glasses may help some - but I believe purpose-built glasses for shooting always lead you to a compromise sight picture. The compromise sight picture the optometrist thinks you need may be actually WORSE for how your brain processes the image.

If you can, talk to Dr. Alan Toler.
https://drtoler.com/

I know Alan. He has prescribed and furnished shooting glasses for a number of my shooting buddies.

Alan is double-distinguished (rifle and pistol). So when you talk about "sight picture," you won't be explaining it to somebody who is hearing the expression for the first time.

Alan will loan you a lens-kit that you can take the range, and which allows you to test various lenses in actual conditions. Then you report back to him what works for you. I'm pretty sure he will even mail it out to you if you live at some distant locale.

It is super-important to test lenses in actual field conditions. The lens that works on a bright day might be pure shit on an overcast day. So realize that you may need multiple pairs of glasses for varying conditions and for different shooting games.
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 6:19:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ScoutH57] [#2]
I’d just go to sport RX

Buy a set of WileyX Saints. Get a set of prescription clear and sunglass lense then adjust to them
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 8:45:32 AM EDT
[#3]
I like the idea of multiple lenses. I will find the Wiley X local to try on.
Link Posted: 11/15/2022 10:20:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Hunters HD Gold for the win... you really should try them if you ever get a chance.
They are in Alabama and travel to a lot of the Area matches as well as nationals.
Link Posted: 11/15/2022 10:26:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Decot

I wear decot for shotgun, but I wear contacts and use their Plano (non rx) lenses so I don't have to buy new lenses every year.
Link Posted: 11/15/2022 10:47:06 AM EDT
[#6]
This is what I do and it works very well for me.  I am 65 years old, nearsighted and wear bifocals.  You will need to explain this to your optometrist.  Mine caught on right away and the glasses came out perfectly.  

I set the dominant eye lens prescription to focus on my front sight (??26”??). The other eye is set to a normal distance.  The bifocal section is set normally to allow close in manipulation.  It’s a bit disconcerting when I first put them on, but the brain quickly sorts things out.  My front sights are clear and sharp. And so is the target.  

If you run a rifle scope you will have to adjust the focus. My shotgun sight is about the same distance as the pistol so that works out.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 9:45:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By YankeeDog357:
This is what I do and it works very well for me.  I am 65 years old, nearsighted and wear bifocals.  You will need to explain this to your optometrist.  Mine caught on right away and the glasses came out perfectly.  

I set the dominant eye lens prescription to focus on my front sight (??26”??). The other eye is set to a normal distance.  The bifocal section is set normally to allow close in manipulation.  It’s a bit disconcerting when I first put them on, but the brain quickly sorts things out.  My front sights are clear and sharp. And so is the target.  

If you run a rifle scope you will have to adjust the focus. My shotgun sight is about the same distance as the pistol so that works out.
View Quote

Ignoring the bifocal part, I know people who do that. I discussed it with my optometrist. He said he could do that but the difference would be negligible with my prescription.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 1:29:32 PM EDT
[#8]
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0078R4D10?tag=arfcom00-20

I use these.  Looking through the bi focals, makes the front post clear as day
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 1:41:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: skindroid] [#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ScoutH57:
I’d just go to sport RX

Buy a set of WileyX Saints. Get a set of prescription clear and sunglass lense then adjust to them
View Quote

This is the best answer you're going to get OP.

I have been using SportRX for awhile for RX eye protection I used professionally.  Totally trouble free and by far the most options as far as lenses, frames, etc.  They also do sales fairly regularly.

Click the frames you want, select lens options (highly recommend Transitions Xtractive), upload RX, press submit and pay.  About two weeks later they are in your mailbox.

To start:

SportRX Z87 options

They have other stuff filtered by activity, so look around for additional options.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 7:00:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RazorEdge] [#10]
Hunter's HD Gold.  

They understand shooters and produce high volumes of lenses for the optometry market, so they will be able to meet a shooter's needs.  You can generally get lenses made for any glasses, and they have premade as well(non prescription).
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 9:58:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Went With Hunter's Gold. Chose the Wiley X Valor frame.
Gave them my prescription and got my glasses about a week later.

My eyes are not that bad but my near vision was fading. Since my old glasses still seemed OK and after hearing bifocal horror stories, I went with just a the single vision lenses.

I immediately went and shot a a 4 stage outlaw pistol match with the worst iron sights I have (factory RIA 1911 Tac). I have over 10,000 rounds through this gun and can run it pretty well.
I immediately noticed I was hunting the front a sight a bit on stage 1. On stage 2 I think I just stopped looking for the sight and relied on index to get hits. I was down 14 points on the first two stages.
Normally I am down 1 point or less per stage.

On the following weekend I shot the same outlaw match but used my X5 with an SRO while wearing my new HG glasses. I was down 3 for the match and never had any issue running the dot.

After some discussion with the HG guy, he explained that my issue was the +1.5 for near vision my doctor had put on the script. We decided to add .75 to my dominant eye (right eye; still single vision lens) and leave the left alone. I am now good to go with both irons and dots. It takes my brain a minute to acclimate when I first put them on (I only wear prescription glasses to shoot) but after that no issues.

Summary: If you have an adder for near viewing, add half of it to you dominant eye if you want to shoot irons. If you are 100% optics, just use your far vision prescription.
Link Posted: 12/25/2022 3:28:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Walmart optical department...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top