Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/31/2022 3:07:30 PM EDT
Guys I need a little advice, my 11 year old son is starting to have interest in shooting clays. He’s got some experience behind a O/U and a youth 1187 and prefers the auto. My first thought is to pick up a basic youth 1100/1187 used so he can grow.

I know some from Browning/Beretta/etc offer youth stock options for most of their guns but I know custom stocks are possible.

I would appreciate some thoughts on options, I know adj combs are a plus to have. I’m eyeing a skeet 1187 with adj comb now but I’m pretty sure the stock would be too long.
Link Posted: 10/29/2022 10:58:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dogtired] [#1]
The Stoeger 3020 compact would be a fine choice.  M2 basic design, cheap, reliable.  Not a lifetime gun but would get him started.
Link Posted: 10/29/2022 11:10:27 PM EDT
[#2]
The guy that runs the youth program at our trap club is using several weatherby sa-08 youth model shotguns.   They don't get a lot of tlc but they keep running.

He's only going to shoot this gun a few years before he outgrows it and wants to upgrade.  This is probably not the time to buy once cry once.
Link Posted: 1/8/2023 12:55:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By johnh57:
The guy that runs the youth program at our trap club is using several weatherby sa-08 youth model shotguns.   They don't get a lot of tlc but they keep running.

He's only going to shoot this gun a few years before he outgrows it and wants to upgrade.  This is probably not the time to buy once cry once.
View Quote

Somewhat agree with you, you can buy once but understand you may need to keep “fitting” as the kids grows. I’m there now, I’m looking for a reasonably priced youth or adult stock (to be cut) so I can reduce his length of pull by 2”. It’s somewhat less painful as my son was gifted a Browning 725 by his Grandfather.

My son shot an older Lanber last year that I had had the stock cut down for him. Whatever you do, get someone that can fit him to a gun. You can always buy spacers when you need to increase the LOP a 1/4” at a time.
Link Posted: 1/8/2023 1:02:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SteelonSteel] [#4]
Originally Posted By ATLDiver:

Somewhat agree with you, you can buy once but understand you may need to keep “fitting” as the kids grows. I’m there now, I’m looking for a reasonably priced youth or adult stock (to be cut) so I can reduce his length of pull by 2”. It’s somewhat less painful as my son was gifted a Browning 725 by his Grandfather.

My son shot an older Lanber last year that I had had the stock cut down for him. Whatever you do, get someone that can fit him to a gun. You can always buy spacers when you need to increase the LOP a 1/4” at a time.
View Quote

If the 725 isn’t too hefty (for the lad) you may want to buy an adjustable stock for it.   Otherwise a light 20 ga youth auto makes the most sense.  Another thought is if you buy a used adult 20 ga do not cut that stock that matches the forend.   Buy an aftermarket youth stock or an adult stock to take the cut.  That way several years down the road when he grows in to it you can avoid the mismatching wood problem.
Link Posted: 1/8/2023 3:12:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By SteelonSteel:

If the 725 isn’t too hefty (for the lad) you may want to buy an adjustable stock for it.   Otherwise a light 20 ga youth auto makes the most sense.  Another thought is if you buy a used adult 20 ga do not cut that stock that matches the forend.   Buy an aftermarket youth stock or an adult stock to take the cut.  That way several years down the road when he grows in to it you can avoid the mismatching wood problem.
View Quote

He handles the heft well, I’ve had him shoot a 20ga Beretta and he preferred the Browning. I do need to find a stock and have it cut or a youth stock, have a place in mind?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top