Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/17/2020 5:57:30 PM EDT
Hi, I'm looking for comments from people who have done 5k run and guns.  Are backpack slings good to go or do the obstacles make it a nogo?  
How do you hump your rifle?
Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 11:35:21 AM EDT
[#1]
TAB Gear biathlon sling?
Might be worth a look.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 10:32:42 AM EDT
[#2]
I bought a backpack sling for 'Hard-Ass' style 3 gun matches that require a lot of movement, running, obstacles, etc.

A standard 2 point sling is great for retaining a rifle that needs to be ready to shoot at a moments notice.  It is less great for keeping a rifle secure through a lot of movement when you don't need to shoot at a moments notice.

The biathlon sling is much better for extended carry while moving than a 2 point.  TAB gear is good but expensive.  I went with a Grovtec.
Link Posted: 12/17/2021 1:27:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I used a backpack sling for my first run and gun.  I found it generally made the running and most of the obstacles easier, but it was very awkward to get on and off my back if rigged for easy carriage--and it banged around too much if set for easy access.

I ran with a basic two-point sling last weekend (also a ~5k distance) and for the most part it was easier, given the relatively short run segments.  It did make accessing my gear a bit harder (e.g. topping up mags while running) and was more awkward on things like creek crossings.

I think if I were doing a longer event (10k ish) the backpack sling might be more worth the effort
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 7:49:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I’m old school.  Ammo pouch carry while running.  Over the shoulder for obstacles and such.
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 10:47:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By YankeeDog357:
I’m old school.  Ammo pouch carry while running.  Over the shoulder for obstacles and such.
View Quote

@YankeeDog357

Could you expand a bit on the ammo pouch method?

Any pics demonstrating this?
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 11:43:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Ammo pouch carry, if I'm on the right page, is when you rest your gunhand/wrist/forearm rests on your strongside ammo pouch, which is about 1:00-1:30, maybe 2:00 on your Load Bearing Equipment, aka suspendered belt.  

Check out a Magpul Ambidextrous Sling Attachment Point, it lets your rifle hang horizontally in front of you like a 'flat ready'.  

When you're moving out, it's ok to move your gunhand to the buffer tube area.
Link Posted: 11/14/2022 11:02:59 PM EDT
[#7]
I use a battle belt with suspenders.  Just hook the mag well over an ammo pouch on the right side.  A light touch on the rifle to keep it in place.  Of it wasn’t for stages that require me to sling my rifle I would use a sling at all.  It just gets in the way.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top