Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/28/2023 5:31:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: disco_jon75]
I have a class date in July with a Part 121 carrier flying mostly 737 classics (with upgrade training to NGs).  A friend has given me 737 gouge from a competing airline (all Boeing standard stuff, flows, etc).  I have been flying MQ-9s and MQ-1s for the past two decades.  My plan is to know the ops limits and memory items when I show up... but is there a flight sim that will let me practice flows?  X-plane?  MSFS?

I'm happy for any advice folks have.

Edit: Made it through clean! 737 Classic and -800 differences training complete. IOE next.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 7:50:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Honestly, put your efforts elsewhere.

Learn the flows, limitations, and memory items. If you’re really jonesing to do something, buy a paper tiger on eBay.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 10:32:06 PM EDT
[#2]
X-Plane 11 and the Zibo 737-800 mod are your best and lowest cost option.
The Zibo mod is free, updated often, and very well done. Very high level of realistic systems and flight model.
There's also the MSFS route but that's more expensive since you'll be buying the PMDG 737 add-ons.
The PMDG 737-600 is $35ish. The 700/800 is $70ish.
PMDG has also set a gold standard in realism.
I have both and enjoy both for different reasons.
After a 25 year airline/corporate career, my work now is still in aviation but I no longer get any real stick wiggle time.
My solution has been to build a home flight simulator. It wasn't cheap but now I can keep my pilot juices flowing and stay fresh on automation and procedural flows.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 10:59:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Know the ops limits and memory items as you mentioned.
The sim at your company will have company procedures, including flows.

If you can get those, look at those too.

I would not worry about the sim, you will do procedural trainers first to get flows and some abnormals maybe.

The sim part comes last and you don't want to learn bad habit patterns ahead of time, save learning those for the sim
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 11:03:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Congrats on your new job.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 9:29:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Congratulations!

And FPNI
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 11:48:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Mach:
The sim part comes last and you don't want to learn bad habit patterns ahead of time, save learning those for the sim
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 11:51:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Congratulations on the new gig!

As a 737 check airman for one of the legacies, I'd mirror what everyone else says.  Make sure you are studying from current materials from your company, if you want to get started ahead of time, they may differ from the Boeing FCOM and FCTM stuff.

Learn the memory items, limitations, flows and profiles (or whatever your company calls them, "standardized actions" at my shop).  Show up with a god attitude, ready to devote the majority of your time to the training, and you will do fine.

Having said that, one of my buddies had a newhire student in the sim, who had spend a considerable amount of time using the PMDG 737 program.  He said he essentially could have passed the check ride after the first day.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 3:52:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Dr_Nimslow:
Congratulations on the new gig!

As a 737 check airman for one of the legacies, I'd mirror what everyone else says.  Make sure you are studying from current materials from your company, if you want to get started ahead of time, they may differ from the Boeing FCOM and FCTM stuff.

Learn the memory items, limitations, flows and profiles (or whatever your company calls them, "standardized actions" at my shop).  Show up with a god attitude, ready to devote the majority of your time to the training, and you will do fine.

Having said that, one of my buddies had a newhire student in the sim, who had spend a considerable amount of time using the PMDG 737 program.  He said he essentially could have passed the check ride after the first day.
View Quote
That gave me a good laugh because even though I know it was a typo, we all know those who have showed up with a god attitude.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 5:58:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Wait, what's this place that's hiring?
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 4:36:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By SquatchAv8:
That gave me a good laugh because even though I know it was a typo, we all know those who have showed up with a god attitude.
View Quote

Haha, yes we do!  
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 4:41:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By SquatchAv8:
View Quote

Haha, yes we do!  
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 8:18:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Now have a CJO from two 121 carriers, both flying the 737.  I guess its decision time.  I've got a copy of the memory items and flows from one carrier... and have booked a week of sims with Flight Training International on my own dime to help prep.  Overkill? Probably.
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 12:17:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By disco_jon75:
Now have a CJO from two 121 carriers, both flying the 737.  I guess its decision time.  I've got a copy of the memory items and flows from one carrier... and have booked a week of sims with Flight Training International on my own dime to help prep.  Overkill? Probably.
View Quote

Overkill is what we do.

I showed up for my interview 2 days early. made a dry run the day before at the proper time of day by calling a cab to see how long the cab ride would be, then hired that cab to come back the next day early.

I brought with me a suit, dress shoes, ties, etc and had a spare of everything. an extra suit, extra pair dress shoes, extra ties in case somehow some way, my suit or shoes, etc got ruined I had a complete backup set.

I was anal about it. A week later I was in class in training.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 8:53:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Either sim is probably fine. I’ve been using Xplane C-172, to train my son, and it seems pretty good.

I did fly the 737 on it a little, and it seems realistic, enough.

The home sim can help, if you can get to where you’re religiously practicing the specific company flows, checklists, procedures,  callouts, profiles, etc.     It forces you to know them fluently, in real time, under pressure.    This is especially true if you haven’t been flying real airplanes in forever.  It will get your brain spun up, and maybe even your scan.       Do you have company Sim videos, or a company pilot that can help make sure you’re getting it right?
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 9:15:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By BillofRights:
Either sim is probably fine. I’ve been using Xplane C-172, to train my son, and it seems pretty good.

The home sim can help, if you can get to where you’re religiously practicing the specific company flows, checklists, procedures,  callouts, profiles, etc.     It forces you to know them fluently, in real time, under pressure.    This is especially true if you haven’t been flying real airplanes in forever.  It will get your brain spun up, and maybe even your scan.       Do you have company Sim videos, or a company pilot that can help make sure you’re getting it right?
View Quote

I have booked five days with FTI at the Boeing Center in MIA on the 737 Classic and have provided them the flows, callouts and profiles flown by the company.  After that, I'll have about 10 days before I go to indoc.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 9:23:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BillofRights] [#16]

I have booked five days with FTI at the Boeing Center in MIA on the 737 Classic and have provided them the flows, callouts and profiles flown by the company.  After that, I'll have about 10 days before I go to indoc.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

It’s a Nice trng center.    Btw, Congrats!       Do you have the 737 Cockpit companion app?   It’s around $60, but worth it.

The App Icon is a dark brown square, with CC inside (yellow letters)
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/15/2023 10:29:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: disco_jon75] [#17]
Ok, guess I need an iPad... recommendations on something that will run Foreflight?

Disregard. Ordered a 9th gen iPad with 256GB.  Worst case, hand me down for my daughter.
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 9:21:35 PM EDT
[#18]
It's going well!

Link Posted: 6/29/2023 6:29:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Finished up my "week" in MIA today. Knocked out some V1 cuts. Note to self, don't skip leg day.

Link Posted: 6/29/2023 7:09:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Finished up my "week" in MIA today. Knocked out some V1 cuts. Note to self, don't skip leg day.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/105802/20230629_134632-2868100.jpg
View Quote

Are you locking your heel to the floor after you set it where you want?
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 7:17:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: aeroworksxp] [#21]
https://pmdg.com/pmdg-737-700-for-microsoft-flight-simulator/

The ULTIMATE Immersive / Realistic MSFS Experience | Real Airline Pilot | PMDG 737-800 Full Flight

600,700,800 and 900 are available
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 7:21:40 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

absolutely nobody uses speed brakes to slow from 175 knots down to 160 knots then puts the flaps out.

Nobody

I doubt that guy is a real airline pilot.
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 7:22:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Looks like you had a good time, and thats all that really matters.

All those steam gauges scare me anymore.  Hard to believe it's the same airplane (and type) as the NG/MAX.  I don't know if it works as well in the classics, but in the NG, fuel flow is a good WAG for the rudder trim on one engine.  5000lbs/hr is around five units of trim, in level flight.  I tend to set the trim to around 4.5 units right after an engine failure, and then leave it alone, and use my feet the rest of the time.  Until I'm about to join final, then I set it, and leave it alone again until landing.

The single engine go-arounds is what separates the guys who miss leg day, from the rest.
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 7:22:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: aeroworksxp] [#24]

absolutely nobody uses speed brakes to slow from 175 knots down to 160 knots then puts the flaps out.

Nobody

View All Quotes

Nobody

Either way, video does a good job showing the aircrafts detail.

ETA: Just checked it. He didn't use his speed brakes. He armed the auto spoilers for landing. Didn't deploy them.

Timecode in video is @47:30
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 5:04:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By aeroworksxp:

ETA: Just checked it. He didn't use his speed brakes. He armed the auto spoilers for landing. Didn't deploy them.

View All Quotes

Nobody

Yeah, you are correct.

I guess it was so realistic, I was dozing on final again and didn't really pay attention.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 12:57:31 PM EDT
[#26]

Yeah, you are correct.

I guess it was so realistic, I was dozing on final again and didn't really pay attention.
View All Quotes

Nobody

Yeah, you are correct.

That's why you have this button. Nothing like a little service on final to stay alert.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 4:36:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Update: Indoc and systems complete.  Giant list (4x what Delta uses for the 737) of memory items down stone cold as well as ops limits.  Working on flows.  They sent us all home for 5 days. Cockpit procedural trainers followed by sims on 1 Aug.  Oral exam in the middle of sims, followed by checkride a week later.  After that, LOFT and -800 differences training.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 11:30:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Great!   Please keep us updated.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 7:57:46 PM EDT
[#29]
737 oral tomorrow! Wish me luck!
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 8:13:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Good luck!
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 11:32:53 AM EDT
[#31]
1.5 hours until oral.

Link Posted: 8/7/2023 2:24:43 AM EDT
[#32]
Absolutely rocked my oral. Got good compliments from the Check Airman.  Instill felt like I'd been put through the ringer.

Full motion sims start tomorrow.
Link Posted: 8/7/2023 3:16:17 AM EDT
[#33]
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/8/2023 1:36:25 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Bklyn_Irish:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bklyn_Irish:

Thanks, brothers!
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 11:12:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: disco_jon75] [#35]
Checkride tomorrow. I could definitely use prayers.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 1:17:28 AM EDT
[#36]
View Quote

You got 'em.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 8:33:23 PM EDT
[#37]
View Quote

dude you will do fine.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 8:44:38 PM EDT
[#38]
I wouldn't say I did fine... I'd have likely failed myself if I'd been giving me the check... but I passed.  ATP / 737 / Company checkride.  LOFT/EET and  -800 difference training next then OE.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 9:44:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Congrats!
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 3:36:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Any chance you could comment on what you did, or what your resume looked like, when you were applying to the airlines coming out of Reapers?  I might be in a similar spot in a year or two.
Link Posted: 8/22/2023 11:43:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Low_Country:
Any chance you could comment on what you did, or what your resume looked like, when you were applying to the airlines coming out of Reapers?  I might be in a similar spot in a year or two.
View Quote

Let's talk.  While I did hire a professional resume and application review, its probably overkill for the types of airlines willing to pick up folks like us who have been out of the jet for a bit.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 4:00:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Update?
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 12:01:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Update?
View Quote

First takeoff and landing in a jet in 20 years yesterday!  6 hours into OE.  Actually got to use the QRH today.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 12:06:38 PM EDT
[#44]

First takeoff and landing in a jet in 20 years yesterday!  6 hours into OE.  Actually got to use the QRH today.
View All Quotes
Update?

you will be using the QRH more than you ever imaged possible
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 7:11:03 PM EDT
[#45]
I mean, they are old airplanes!  Bleed Trip Off light.  For the non-737 folks paying attention, thats an overtemp or overpressure of the air coming off the 5 (or 9th, as needed) stage compressor(s).
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 10:15:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Released to the line!

Link Posted: 9/16/2023 8:40:20 AM EDT
[#47]
Congrats!
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 9:47:04 AM EDT
[#48]
Congratulations!
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 8:46:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Congratulations!
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 8:55:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Released to the line!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/105802/20230913_021653-2955338.jpg
View Quote

Lookin good.   . Congrats bro!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top