Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/28/2024 10:47:44 AM EDT
Installing a dist in an 85 Mustang fox body 3.8L V6.  It is an early TBI vehicle. Can't locate the timing spout connector that is normally near dist base or anywhere else on the engine harness for that matter. Couldn't locate the procedure on Mitchell either. Might be a stand-alone year? Does anyone know how to disable the ECM for timing adjustment? Thanks

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:05:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: giantpune] [#1]
I looked it up in my Haynes manual.  Says step 1 is yank the V6 and drop in the 5.0.  

But on a serious note, is there not a spout connector hiding around the driver side fender maybe?  Or possibly a pigtail for the spout, but the dongle itself is missing.

Here's a PDF of the wiring diagram for 85.  Maybe the spout connector is hidden in here.
https://img1.wsimg.com/blobby/go/413b59b9-cf8d-4a86-ba4b-e608c35e6bb6/downloads/1985.pdf?ver=1705874202057
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:07:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By giantpune:
I looked it up in my Haynes manual.  Says step 1 is yank the V6 and drop in the 5.0.  

But on a serious note, is there not a spout connector hiding around the driver side fender maybe?  Or possibly a pigtail for the spout, but the dongle itself is missing.
View Quote

First post nailed it, epically!
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:12:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Computer can't add timing if there's not a computer
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:14:49 AM EDT
[#4]
The spout connector is often on the fender near the OBDI test connector and sometimes even hiding near the radiator support. You'll find it just keep looking.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:45:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, looked by the ALDL nothing there. Never saw one by the rad support will search there too.

Haven't worked on one of these for at least a decade. I killed those brain cells with Blantons.

Doing this for a friend, they are giving it to a grandson. It's really a pretty decent car, 60k convertible. Agree 3.8 wouldn't be my first choice but a new young driver might keep them out of trouble.

Thanks for the wiring diagram, printed it for them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top