Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/5/2024 5:42:43 PM EDT
https://www.hockerty.com/en-us/men/seersucker-suit/
Anybody have experience with this company? I'm trying to build an adult wardrobe (I'm 53 y/o). @Low_Country had a thread in GD about seersucker suits and I did a bit of research.
I thought I would see if any of ya'll have purchased from this company or if maybe someone has a better recommendation. TIA for any help.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 6:10:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I would suggest being fit for and buying your suits in person, rather than online, if your goal is an adult wardrobe.

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 7:01:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kraquine] [#2]

find a good tailor, preferrably within a reasonable distance. I'm sure Atlanta has some good tailors. Any city with professional sports teams usually does.

Get a bespoke suit

They will keep your measurements on file and make it easy to alter the suits you have and make the ones you don't.

BTW, IRT the seersucker, $299 is maybe what you will pay for 2 bespoke dress shirts.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:50:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Kraquine:

find a good tailor, preferrably within a reasonable distance. I'm sure Atlanta has some good tailors. Any city with professional sports teams usually does.

Get a bespoke suit

They will keep your measurements on file and make it easy to alter the suits you have and make the ones you don't.

BTW, IRT the seersucker, $299 is maybe what you will pay for 2 bespoke dress shirts.
View Quote

This. Spend more money on a more traditional and timeless suit, and you will wear it more and be happier.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 9:26:29 PM EDT
[#4]
@Kraquine
@fortydelta
I honestly don't have the occasion to wear a suit at all. I was thinking maybe a sport coat for taking my wife to art museums (she's an artist) and out to dinner. I don't think I need a full blown suit.
To put things into perspective I drive a forklift for a living and my wife is a florist/painter. I appreciate both of your replies but in my situation I think that would be a waste of money.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 9:29:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fortydelta] [#5]
Originally Posted By Knothead71:
@Kraquine
@fortydelta
I honestly don't have the occasion to wear a suit at all. I was thinking maybe a sport coat for taking my wife to art museums (she's an artist) and out to dinner. I don't think I need a full blown suit.
To put things into perspective I drive a forklift for a living and my wife is a florist/painter. I appreciate both of your replies but in my situation I think that would be a waste of money.
View Quote

My bad, I misunderstood since you were asking about a suit in your OP.

Get one navy and one sharkskin sports coat and be done. I'm serious, at our age it is better to dress more traditional and conservative than whatever is trendy.

ETA your occupation doesn't dictate if you can dress appropriately. You may not need tophats and tails but everyone needs one good suit IMO.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 12:51:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By fortydelta:

My bad, I misunderstood since you were asking about a suit in your OP.

Get one navy and one sharkskin sports coat and be done. I'm serious, at our age it is better to dress more traditional and conservative than whatever is trendy.

ETA your occupation doesn't dictate if you can dress appropriately. You may not need tophats and tails but everyone needs one good suit IMO.
View Quote
@fortydelta
Ok, you obviously know what you're talking about, I'm going to lean on you a little bit because I don't know anything.
What material would you recommend? Keep in mind, I live in middle Georgia and spend a good amount of time in central Florida.Humidity and heat are a way of life 8 or 9 months out of the year.
Also, is linen not considered traditional? In my limited research it seems that linen is preferred when the weather is hot. But, again I have no real idea of what I'm talking about.
Please don't take this as me arguing with you. I honestly have questions and am trying to learn.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 7:29:36 AM EDT
[#7]
@fortydelta
Ok, you obviously know what you're talking about, I'm going to lean on you a little bit because I don't know anything.
What material would you recommend? Keep in mind, I live in middle Georgia and spend a good amount of time in central Florida.Humidity and heat are a way of life 8 or 9 months out of the year.
Also, is linen not considered traditional? In my limited research it seems that linen is preferred when the weather is hot. But, again I have no real idea of what I'm talking about.
Please don't take this as me arguing with you. I honestly have questions and am trying to learn.
View Quote

Not sure if I would say I'm a SME on it, I was just raised by a blue collar dad that knew he didn't have to look blue collar all the time.

I'm mid forties and live in central MS. So I know about heat and humidity.

I own 2 nice suits and 3 sportscoats. They are wool or wool blend. Traditional. No wild colors or designs. I can throw on a sports coat with jeans and be fine or with casual slacks. Suits for weddings, funerals, or other things where just a jacket isn't good enough.

All I was saying before is at our age it is better, in my opinion, to stay with a traditional well fitting style instead of what is going around on Insta. Go to Men's Warehouse or Jos A Banks and try some stuff on. I've ordered suits online and they were never what I expected. Find an old lady near you that does alterations. Leave room for your body to fluctuate size slightly. Hopefully you would only need the sleeves and pants hemmed.

You can look good and professional without making it too complicated or expensive. Just make smart purchases.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 7:46:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Seersucker sport coats are cool in the summer.

But I wouldn't have that be my only one.  I'd get a traditional navy or charcoal sport coat AND a lighter khaki or tan sport coat. You've got fall, winter, spring, summer covered.

I've got a Seersucker sport coat and suit.  I see them as a niche wearable.  Great for when it's very hot and you're outside in business attire.

They wrinkle at the thought of wrinkling. You can try to steam them out and be partially successful or you can buy a press.  Otherwise, it looks like a hot mess unless you have them dry cleaned after every other wear.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:26:12 AM EDT
[#9]
@fortydelta
Would the wool be tolerable to wear outside in summer? Something like walking around a downtown area like maybe Greenville or St. Augustin.
We have a Mens Warehouse and Jos. Bank here where I live. I've seen both recommended on Arfcom in the past.
I'll go have a look this weekend.
I really appreciate you taking time to reply. I'm way yonder out of my comfort zone on this deal. I normally wear a polo or just a button up shirt and jeans for "formal" wear. Got a little more dressed up a few days ago for my niece's play and my wife really liked how I looked. I thought I'd try to step it up a bit more.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:27:46 AM EDT
[#10]
@rob78
That wrinkle action is pretty much a deal breaker. There would be hardly any way to keep it looking presentable with our humidity.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:37:14 AM EDT
[#11]
@fortydelta
Would the wool be tolerable to wear outside in summer? Something like walking around a downtown area like maybe Greenville or St. Augustin.
We have a Mens Warehouse and Jos. Bank here where I live. I've seen both recommended on Arfcom in the past.
I really appreciate you taking time to reply. I'm way yonder out of my comfort zone on this deal. I normally wear a polo or just a button up shirt and jeans for "formal" wear. Got a little more dressed up a few days ago for my niece's play and my wife really liked how I looked. I thought I'd try to step it up a bit more.
View Quote

You've generally got three classic options for hot weather - linen, tropical wool, or cotton (usually seersucker). You'll also find various hybrid blends of the above, some incorporating silk. Nowadays, a little (1-2%) synthetic stretch fabric seems to be all the rage as well, like with jeans. All have their plusses and minuses, advocates and detractors.

I remain an advocate of saying you need to get out, look at what's out there, and develop your own opinion. Men's clothing is not really any different from the tactical training, firearms, or any other industry when to comes to the marketing derp, egos, and emotions at play. And, really the same advice applies: if you see people who look or perform the way you want to look or perform, find out what they do to achieve this. Absorb and synthesize what will inevitably be contradictory or often stupid advice. Form your own opinion.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:28:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fortydelta] [#12]
@fortydelta
View Quote

Nothing is tolerable in our summertime, except maybe nekkidness. It's up to you what you will be comfortable in. Myself, I'd be wearing short-sleeved polo and sports coat if a jacket is required.

Got a little more dressed up a few days ago for my niece's play and my wife really liked how I looked. I thought I'd try to step it up a bit more.
Just remember, it doesn't do yourself any good to dress to the nines if you're gonna look uncomfortable and fidget a lot. Don't go overboard, you need to figure out what fits your body type and personality. Like the guy above said, watch other people and get some ideas there.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:46:11 PM EDT
[#13]
I have one navy and one charcoal. Several sports coats. Men’s wear house taylored my suit because they were outfitting the wedding I was in. Fits great and just wore it this weekend to nephews wedding.  Funerals and weddings are about all, but I mostly see sports coats and khakis. And I do have a seersucker sports coat for summer weddings.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 4:08:22 PM EDT
[#14]
I spent college working at Menswearhouse and I’ve bought 5-6 suits from Hockerty over the past 10ish years. The key is proper measurements and understanding fabric choices. I like the options that Hockerty offers as I prefer side vents and functional sleeve buttons. I like the ability to pick stitching color and lining options.

Summer fabrics will be tropical weight wools, linen or cotton. I have a tan cotton sport coat that I wear round for business casual stuff where I want to look nicer than a polo or button up.

Linen suits are great for summer weddings or outdoor events in warmer weather. Seersucker to me is more of an occasion thing and leans very old school south…think Charleston style or Kentucky Derby parties.

I have a tendency to like seersucker pants with a lighter weight tropical wool blazer in a slightly lighter than navy blue. It’s my go to for nights out with wife when she wants me dressed up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top