Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/9/2024 2:52:14 PM EDT
I have 19 days off, its a bucket list item and less than 4.2 hrs away. Been to Tucson a bunch and Phoenix, never planned a stop there.

Just curious on what your take was.

TIA

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 2:58:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KILLERB6] [#1]
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 3:28:18 PM EDT
[#2]
There are a lot of great museums in the Tucson area.  The Pima Air Museum is excellent.  Titan Missile Museum, Sonoran Desert Museum (which is really a zoo) is great, and Kartchner Caverns are all excellent destinations in the area.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 4:18:38 PM EDT
[#3]
First of this month my geezer friends an I did the Titan silo and Pima the next day.
I wanted to spend way more time at Pima buy my friends complained it was hot and they were tired of walking, lots of really neat stuff is outside so be sure to stay hydrated.
One of the guys found his dad's signature on the wall in the B-17 pavilion.
They have "No guns" signs posted, though one of us may have ignored them.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 6:02:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes and it is great.  If Davis-Monthan still does bus tours of the boneyard be sure to do that as well.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 6:03:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Pima and Titan are both worth a visit. Pima will take all day. Titan a couple hours.

Titan was interesting in the way it was constructed to absorb a hit. Pima has many extremely rare aircraft.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 6:18:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't overthink it, just go.  Great aircraft museum.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 6:18:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Pima was excellent. You can waste a whole day there.

Colossal Caverns is twenty miles east. Great time if you don't mind moderate caving. Saguaro NP is over there, too.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 6:28:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes. Go.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:46:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By KILLERB6:
Absolutely!  Great museum.  Back in the day they had actual veterans who flew (in) a given airframe (most the WWII birds) giving lectures/tours “planeside”.  Not too many of them left.

A little south of Tucson is the Titan Missile Museum/Historic whatever; another great tour where airmen who were actually stationed in a Titan silo gave the tour.  Again, do t know how many of them are left.

Another possibility is the 309th AMARG on Davis-Monthan AFB.

This says they are open again for tours (date:  2022 ) which is another must do if possible.

All that and get a Sonoran Dog from a street vendor (or at least a restaurant)!
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/18716/IMG_8449-3209698.jpg
View Quote

My hiatal hernia is crying looking at that dog..

Ive been to Davis Montahn for work, head out that way every few 3-4 months..Our contractor that we see is on the west end of the runway..saw the Herk I got my initial check ride on taking the brake she deserves.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:48:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By BFskinner:
Don't overthink it, just go.  Great aircraft museum.
View Quote

Yeah, I just am going to pick a day, leave at 4am and spend the day there. Maybe I will time it with a rock show (if there is one) at the Rialto and head back next day.

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:49:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By lew:
Pima was excellent. You can waste a whole day there.

Colossal Caverns is twenty miles east. Great time if you don't mind moderate caving. Saguaro NP is over there, too.
View Quote

Wife wants to check out the Caverns, we been to Carlsbad a few times...Id wait for her. I have until 07/2028 to check that box. Tombstone, too.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 12:33:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Titan silo and Pima were very much worth the trip to Tucson.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:39:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By ZitiForBreakfast:

Wife wants to check out the Caverns, we been to Carlsbad a few times...Id wait for her. I have until 07/2028 to check that box. Tombstone, too.
View Quote

I personally thought Tombstone was overrated. Especially the reenactment which you have to pay for. But maybe things have improved over the past 10 years or so. Some of the restaurants/saloons were ok though.

Pima and the boneyard tour (if available) were definitely not overrated.

The other interesting thing nearby is the Boothill Graveyard where Lester Moore is buried. “Here lies Lester Moore. Four slugs from a 44 , no les, no more.”

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 7:32:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Hell yeah do it! A lotta weirdos in there.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 4:08:52 PM EDT
[#15]
A very worthwhile trip. I did it a few years ago..
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:32:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Of all the times I've been there never did the Pima side.   I have spent a bunch of time on the Air Force side however.     AMARC/AMARG   Mostly flying out older stored planes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top