Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:20:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By slowr1der:
The finance side of my brain has run the numbers 50 different ways and I can't figure out a single way that owning something like this is feasible without losing a bunch of money. I've come to the conclusion that we're much better off to keep investing in the stock market and just vacation here once or twice a year with the proceeds.
View Quote

The finance side of your brain is right.  The reason people do this is because they want to own a beach house and can't afford it - so justify it by renting it out.  It's not a good investment.  It's a way to offset some of your costs.  Renting when you want to be at the beach is a lot cheaper.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:23:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:39:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By purevl2:
You're going to buy a second home literally at the height of the housing bubble?  Wait.
View Quote

It’s not a bubble if it’s permanent.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:41:25 AM EDT
[#4]
A friend of mine owns 3 houses in Ormond beach.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:53:38 AM EDT
[#5]

That's the thing. It I have no idea what the insurance is going to cost, but it doesn't really seem financially viable before the insurance costs.
View Quote

If it's not financially feasible before the insurance costs, it sure as hell won't be after you get hit with a bill for something you never considered.  

Keep renting when you go on vacation.  You won't be married to a potential money pit.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:54:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By User55645:
Just keeping renting when you want a vacation, untilyou'rereadytomove. Cheaper and less headaches.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:01:19 AM EDT
[#7]
I own a house on the coast of Tampa Bay. Bought and paid for. Flood and homeowners insurance is crazy. Plus I'm tired of worrying about hurricane season every year. It's not so much the wind but flooding. It's flooded several time where I live and water just touched the concrete block. Never made it under my home. I live in a stilt house. I'm selling and moving to higher ground. I built this house when I was 36. As I've aged climbing up and down a ladder up to 3 stories is a no go for me now. I'm not going to climb up 3 stories anymore.

I truely enjoy the fall, winter and spring here. But hurricane season is a nail biter every year. Here the last time it flooded last year and it was not even a hurricane. Just bad storm with very very high winds. This is from the mouth of the little manatee river. Those homes across from me have flooded several times in the 30 years I've lived here. In photos that's the highest it's flood to my home. There's a road under that water also. The house on the left behind that metal building is 4 ft underwater. It was just repaired from flooding last year. Water went down pretty quickly after wind stopped. Water was up 6ft. But if you've got the money for home and flood insurance and you've got another resident to stay at in case it's flooded or destroyed I'd go for it. Btw way homeowner and flood insurance can run as high as 15k a year here. Since my home meets current hurricane code after a few improvements mine runs about 3500 a year. But I'm over it. I want a lakefront home instead of ocean, bay ect front

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:01:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Was part owner of a family cottage handed down by grandparents to their kids who handed (passed away) to us kids.
Quit claimed my share to my niece a few years ago.
Ask you wife how much fun she thinks her vacay will be washing floors, cleaning windows, cooking meals etc., it's  a house not a hotel.
Just because it's  a beach house does not mean chores and maintenance magically disappears.
And in the spot where our cottage is located, finding lawn service (not everyone wants to work during vacay) and other help isn't easy. Local kids want to go somewhere with good money paying jobs and some nightlife and leave after graduation.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:19:06 AM EDT
[#9]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

That's awesome. There was a guy several years ago that use to dive off his dock every day and swim in an area that looked just like that. One day when when he dove Into the water. A bullshark nailed him. DRT. Poor guy did not know what hit him until it was to late. But the famous last words below. I honestly believe shark attacks are under reported here. Notice article states they think it was a shark. Even with a big bite out of his side. When it was quite obvious it was a shark attack.

A man swimming in the Intracoastal suffers a massive wound to his upper torso that officials think is a shark bite.

Nearly every day, Thadeus Kubinski swam in the warm, peaceful waters behind his home on Boca Ciega Bay. He found it relaxing and probably never gave it a second thought.

Most of his neighbors swam there too, and none of them worried for their safety.

On Wednesday afternoon, Kubinski was swimming about 10 feet off his own backyard dock when disaster struck. Authorities think a shark attacked Kubinski, 69, and killed him as his wife stood nearby.

"I heard his wife screaming really loud," said next-door neighbor Yoli Pate. "I ran over there, and her husband was floating face-down in the water next to the sea wall. Blood was everywhere."

Many homeowners along the canals surrounding Belle Vista have docks and are continually in the water of Boca Ciega Bay. Although they know they share the waterway with manatees, dolphins and sharks, they generally don't fear the wildlife.

Gary and Victoria Long, who live across from Kubinski, saw him swimming three or four days a week.

"We kayak here all the time. We've never given it a thought," Gary Long said. "We've seen a lot of dolphins and manatees, but we've never seen a shark."
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:48:24 AM EDT
[#10]
I did before hurricane Ike.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:50:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:57:02 AM EDT
[#12]
I had a beach/waterfront home in Stuart, FL for a number of years.  Non-HOA but the maintenance involved with being right on the water is not insignificant.  It dovetailed nicely with my fishing addiction as the boat was right out the backdoor on a lift and I fished a LOT.  I was never willing to rent it and have my place trashed.  Renting works for some, it just doesn't fit my personality well enough.

One downside of having a beach/vacation home is the dominant part of your travel that place will represent.  It's not easy for everyone to justify going somewhere else on vacation if they've already spent the money on a beach house for their vacations.

If I could go back in time, I'd not have done the beach house.  I'd fly somewhere totally different every time instead of being locked in to that one destination so frequently.

....and hurricanes suck.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:01:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NorthBridge] [#13]
Originally Posted By bassackwards:
The fees are high because of constant maintenance and high insurance costs.

View Quote

This. I can only speak about the gulf coast, but the salt air chews up everything quickly and you’re always spending money on maintenance/repair.

I mean, it’s definitely fun when you are using it but keeping it nice is a chore.

But the wife and dog love it lol

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:14:43 PM EDT
[#14]
My brother has an RV lot with water, septic & electrical. The slot has an enclosed overhead deck. Stays rented out fairly regularly.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:20:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ranging-by-zipcode] [#15]
Sold one two months ago on Oak Island NC

It was not a rental home  so can't really speak about that but I have a feeling it would have been trashed if it was used for that.

It's the beach and people rent places there weekly or daily  there to party

Also had one in Niantic CT which was the home I lived in . Glad I got out of there

traffic and bullshit during the summer season but I enjoyed the winters living  there .
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:25:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By housewolf:
I did before hurricane Ike.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/177202/camp2_jpeg-3212449.JPG
View Quote

Looks like it'll buff out.

Some new drywall, a little paint, no one will ever know.

Did you rebuild or write it all off?
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:25:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Grumple] [#17]
Last thing I would ever do is buy a property that others can dictate what I can or can't do.... aka an HOA.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:29:53 PM EDT
[#18]
So hurricanes, flooding, salt air killing everything, maintenance, jackass renters, HOA fees, impossible or only going higher insurance, and rental service co. 'fee's have been covered.

Why does no one mention the sandblasting of everything whenever there is a breeze?

Have experienced all of the above but the finding the side of your truck erased after a middling wind event on a bright sunny day was the thing that may have led to a sale.
Not to mention what it does to the windows of the home. You won't be able to wash those clean ever again.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:34:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By LesBaer45:
So hurricanes, flooding, salt air killing everything, maintenance, jackass renters, HOA fees, impossible or only going higher insurance, and rental service co. 'fee's have been covered.

Why does no one mention the sandblasting of everything whenever there is a breeze?

Have experienced all of the above but the finding the side of your truck erased after a middling wind event on a bright sunny day was the thing that may have led to a sale.
Not to mention what it does to the windows of the home. You won't be able to wash those clean ever again.
View Quote

Yes, window cleaning is a full time job. Gulf side windows are filthy pretty much 5 minutes after being cleaned.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:38:08 PM EDT
[#20]
I recently talked to a guy that owns 4 houses in Sunset Beach. Said he gets just over 30 weeks a year of rent out of them and it's still an area that you can make money with a mortgage. But he bought them from another guy that was renting them. Such a great deal, why'd he get rid of them?

The $1000 HOA thing is nuts and I'd be pretty much guaranteed to lose your ass long term as opposed to just saving your money. North Myrtle finally in the last like 5 years recovered from 2008. Forget that mess.

The argument is basically that you have something physical to reduce risk. But we saw houses fall 50% and you stuck with a ridiculous mortgage and expenses in a shitty economy. You gotta be loaded to make that not hurt.

If you want to move there eventually, sure buy something now without an HOA and ride into the sunset in 15 years.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:39:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Grumple:
Last thing I would ever do is buy a property that others can dictate what I cam or can't do.... aka an HOA.
View Quote

It's hard to avoid HOA's when buying water front

It's not impossible but it's hard

It seems like every place on the water is HOA's  in the South unless you can find off the beaten  path or can afford an estate

which most can't so you buy into an HOA
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:39:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Staying in someone's now in Hilton Head. It seems like a good investment if the property, rental history, location and price are right.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:41:29 PM EDT
[#23]
I’ve read through the thread and there are a lot of correct answers here.  

I bought mine right before prices went stupid.  The value of mine has almost doubled in 4 years.  Sounds awesome until you factor in how much the taxes  have increased.  That hurts really bad

I didn’t buy it as an investment (even though it worked out that way notwithstanding the increase in taxes)
I bought it so i had a place to go anytime i wanted and i don’t have to deal with hotels.  That “want” of mine costs me money every month.  It’s worth it for me though as it checks off a lot of boxes.  

You really really need to research the area and the market.  You don’t want to get into something that can end up forcing you to sell at the loss.  It’s. High risk thing really.  New roof last year was over 30K.

Oh and there is always maintenance and upkeep.  I’ve set it up to be as maintenance free as possible but it still needs attention.  Salt air kills everything.  

Taking everything into consideration, I’d still do it.  But i don’t know that i would do it at these prices.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:48:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Check insurance and taxes first. I checked once, and the place we looked at you had to have flood, wind, and something else before you could get homeowners.  Plus taxes, we could rent the place every week by what it would cost to buy. Plus the maintenance is never ending. We’ve been renting several time a year for over three decades. And every house had something that needed fixing. Even the new ones.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:58:45 PM EDT
[#25]
This thread need more pics.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:24:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DaveJRSC] [#26]
I design homes on Hilton Head. What I observe frequently is that a client will buy a home or condo as an investment property, hire a property management company, and rent it short term (typically 1 week terms) for ten years. Ten years is usually long enough for the rental profits to pay off the mortgage. The clients then sell their homes and move to Hilton Head, where they live in their beach home mortgage free.

Wealthier clients take a similar approach, but they may build a new home designed specifically to be optimized for rental use. After a few seasons of rental history, they can then sell it as an investment property with a reliably predictable annual revenue.

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:27:51 PM EDT
[#27]
My dad just sold his "beach house" (a few miles from beach) to the commandant of the USCG Academy.  Not sure about HOA costs, but just the taxes really made it not worth keeping for how much time he or other family spent there.  I never actually went to it, went to the previous house just a few times.   He never rented out either house, I'm sure he looked into it some point and decided against.  

Probably half his time spent there was probably doing 'projects' even though it was newly built 7 years ago.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:52:36 PM EDT
[#28]
I live in a beach house AND I rent beach houses for vacations. There’s just something about living on the water.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:53:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mousehunter] [#29]
Originally Posted By ar_mcadams:

this is exactly what two other people have told me that have beach houses around  Galveston.
View Quote
We are on Bolivar - so 7 miles or so (abet by ferry).   No HOA.  It is too far away to manage personally, so it is with the rental Mafia (like 2/3 of the rest of the community and Crystal Beach, maybe even Gilcrist).  Ike washed Gilcrist off the map (I recall an airial picture showing one house standing-but it was later condemned).  Port Bolivar beach got pretty cleansed as well - so virtually all the first few rows are now built after the hurricane - gone are the budget fishing shacks (Hard pressed to find first row under 1m, second row maybe in the 700's).  Good news is the Mafia can get shit repaired quick - if we were doing it personally, who knows how long it would take to get repair people over (I am talking about the month to semi-monthly shit renters call about-we usually can get 2hr service).  That said, I think the Mafia charges 25% of gross rent.  Next weekend is traditionally Go Topless Jeep weekend there.  A few years ago a house lost their outdoor staircase - the renters tore it out for a bonfire on the beach.  We don't rent Jeep Weekend.

The Mafia does provide good service - one of our last renters complained that some of our furniture was not up to par.  The Mafia had it replaced (I think within a day) with some they had in storage.  We still need to replace it all though.  Bust out another 5-10k.

Had a client once have his lake rental get destroyed by party (he had a full compound - multiple houses, pool, tennis courts, etc...).  He thought he was renting to an elderly person, he rented to a frat for a party.  I think total damages were about 350k - 20 years ago.  They did fun stuff like throwing all the furniture in the swimming pool, busting out walls, windows, doors, etc...)
---
Our house is built like a tank and elevated about 20' - but honestly it will not matter when the remains of the houses (and RV's) behind you flush through and take out your pilings.

The post Ike pictures of Gilchrist are fairly copyrighted now, not sure if I can link to one.

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:02:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Nobody actually owns a home at the beach, they just rent them from God.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 5:49:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By NorthBridge:

This. I can only speak about the gulf coast, but the salt air chews up everything quickly and you’re always spending money on maintenance/repair.

I mean, it’s definitely fun when you are using it but keeping it nice is a chore.

But the wife and dog love it lol

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/337680/IMG_2146_jpeg-3212458.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/337680/IMG_2131_jpeg-3212461.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/337680/IMG_2139_jpeg-3212462.JPG
View Quote

That's more than true. Saltwater can destroy anything. Saltwater fog everything rusts.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 5:58:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By mousehunter:
We are on Bolivar - so 7 miles or so (abet by ferry).   No HOA.  It is too far away to manage personally, so it is with the rental Mafia (like 2/3 of the rest of the community and Crystal Beach, maybe even Gilcrist).  Ike washed Gilcrist off the map (I recall an airial picture showing one house standing-but it was later condemned).  Port Bolivar beach got pretty cleansed as well - so virtually all the first few rows are now built after the hurricane - gone are the budget fishing shacks (Hard pressed to find first row under 1m, second row maybe in the 700's).  Good news is the Mafia can get shit repaired quick - if we were doing it personally, who knows how long it would take to get repair people over (I am talking about the month to semi-monthly shit renters call about-we usually can get 2hr service).  That said, I think the Mafia charges 25% of gross rent.  Next weekend is traditionally Go Topless Jeep weekend there.  A few years ago a house lost their outdoor staircase - the renters tore it out for a bonfire on the beach.  We don't rent Jeep Weekend.

The Mafia does provide good service - one of our last renters complained that some of our furniture was not up to par.  The Mafia had it replaced (I think within a day) with some they had in storage.  We still need to replace it all though.  Bust out another 5-10k.

Had a client once have his lake rental get destroyed by party (he had a full compound - multiple houses, pool, tennis courts, etc...).  He thought he was renting to an elderly person, he rented to a frat for a party.  I think total damages were about 350k - 20 years ago.  They did fun stuff like throwing all the furniture in the swimming pool, busting out walls, windows, doors, etc...)
---
Our house is built like a tank and elevated about 20' - but honestly it will not matter when the remains of the houses (and RV's) behind you flush through and take out your pilings.

The post Ike pictures of Gilchrist are fairly copyrighted now, not sure if I can link to one.
https://s.hdnux.com/photos/05/20/10/1376830/4/960x0.webp
View Quote

Man that looks just like Mexico Beach after Hurricane Michael.

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:11:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By TheJMan1:
We own a beautiful small farm nestled in the mountains of NEPA.  My brother just finished building a house on the water in NC.  We visit each other and it's perfect.
View Quote

The price of Vacant land in the NE corner of PA is ridiculous. Every 100 acre parcel I have looked at is going for $5k an acre.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:17:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: styles] [#34]
My wife is trying to talk me into "investing" in a beach house. I'm not normally a beach guy, but I'll admit we recently went on a vacation that was one of our favorite places we've ever been for both of us. The problem with these condo's isn't the price. It's the $750-1,000 a month HOA fees that come along with them. My first thought was maybe we can pull this off and Airbnb it when we aren't there. The finance side of my brain has run the numbers 50 different ways and I can't figure out a single way that owning something like this is feasible without losing a bunch of money. I've come to the conclusion that we're much better off to keep investing in the stock market and just vacation here once or twice a year with the proceeds. Of course that answer wasn't super popular with my wife. Does anyone else here own a beach house? How do you make it work? Or does it just cost you a massive amount of money each year?
View Quote

As a finance guy, you already know you are right.  It’s not an investment; it’s a lifestyle.  How you pay the least to do what you want is the only question.  Rent/Lease is cash flow.

The investor is the landlord.  Ask her if she wants to rent it out when you are not there.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:20:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Beach house vs Beach condo, they are not one in the same.
Everything requires maintenance, especially on the water.

Old friends family purchased 2 two bedroom condo's in Myrtle Beach a long time ago. It was in good spot and the buildings had an in house rental team for owners who wanted to rent when they were not using it. Cool thing was each unit came with a parking space under the building and a small lockable owners room inside the condo.  They could store their personal items inside like clothing, sheets pillows, toiletries etc. The rental team took care of providing linens etc for renters and a cleaning service.  Of course there was a percentage of the rental but financially it worked out well for them.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:35:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By ScottsGT:
We looked into a beach condo in North Myrtle.  In the end, it was a big no for reasons already posted.  
High maintenance due to salt air
Renters as a majority treat things like shit
High HOA fees to cover security, pool maintenance, elevator maintenance, etc
Assessment fees randomly for new roof, major repairs, etc
Trying to keep it rented out
Constant remodeling

No shit, about the time we were thinking about it I ran into another customer at an AT&T phone store. She was ecstatic and said it was the happiest day of her life because she had just signed the paperwork and sold her beach condo.  

Fast forward a few years.  Wife is getting another itch.  This time she wants a “shit shack” on the local lake to get away to on the weekends.  At the time, the smallest and worst smelling death cabin on the water was averaging $300,000.  I started looking at things through the grounds keeper, maintenance man’s eyes.  So I started looking at living there full time in nicer homes.  Our first was a nice home we looked at was in a cove for $375k.  I told her we gotta move. No way I can maintain both properties and not to mention high taxes on a second property. Take our equity and run.

In the end we found a 2200 sq ft with a walk out basement, full central air, very deep one car garage, a dock that costs more than our first home with a lift. Sitting on .88 acre.  Got it for $590k, but we had to buy a $10k 12X24 storage barn due to loss of garage space and no attic storage.  And it came with a million dollar view.  We also put in a hot tub to sit and enjoy the view.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img923/1848/m4btRV.jpg

Barn is in the front yard.
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img924/5495/nZE0K9.jpg

Previous owner used it as a weekend/summer place so yard work was not high on their priority list.  The shoreline was completely over grown as well as the wooded areas along the property lines.  This is one of the pics from the listing. All the shoreline growth is gone except the one tree.
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img922/5869/vW1gE0.jpg

I will say, maintenance is still high on any waterfront.  But at least no salt corrosion.  We get some pretty high winds coming off the water during storms.  It has caused some minor damage I’ve had to repair and prone to spring floods. One neighbor clocked the winds at 77 mph off his dock last week.  

View Quote

Wateree?
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:42:26 PM EDT
[#37]
I hear you on the condo. I inherited one from my late rich uncle. When he had it the HOA fee was like $150 a month and it stayed like that from like 1998 to like 2018. With me, over the course of a few years it crept up to $500! +30 here, +50 there…. I don’t know how my uncle kept it the same all those years.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:49:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NotAFudd] [#38]

$3k a day? Holy cow. That's wild, but awesome. How big is it?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By NotAFudd:
Depends my condo in Key West makes tons of money $3k/day peak season.  My place i sold in Orange Beach, not so much

$3k a day? Holy cow. That's wild, but awesome. How big is it?

1200 square feet

The nightly view
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:26:35 PM EDT
[#39]
We rent an oceanfront house on Topsail every year (coincidentally, starting this Sat!...) and invite some family.  I worked out the numbers long ago and we can afford some cash flow shortages but why?  Rent it and forget it.  It's a couple hours away and handling issues would be a pain.

A friend had one on Topsail for 15 years.  Calculating to the penny, he figured that after interest, taxes, utils, flood insurance, maintenance and so forth, he almost perfectly balanced out, even though the selling price was much higher.  He did not rent it out though, so he probably would have made money if he did.

Topsail doesn't take hurricanes well.  There are some houses that if they are ever hit again can't be sold or rebuilt, you are out (of course there are some in that state somewhere under the ocean in bits as well...).

I guess it comes down to the amount of risk you want to take for a diversified asset that provides some income and some utility to you while it hopefully appreciates.  I prefer liquidity.  I rent for vacations.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:26:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By LesBaer45:

Looks like it'll buff out.

Some new drywall, a little paint, no one will ever know.

Did you rebuild or write it all off?
View Quote
@LesBaer45
It was a mess. Three years later a judge made the insurance company write me a check for 3x what I would have settled for originally, plus a nice check for the lawyers. I held onto the lot for another 14 years then sold it to my old neighbors for more than I originally paid for the house. A year or so after the hurricane we bought a house on a lake 100 miles north of the coast which was destroyed, with me in it, by a tornado in 2020, we did rebuild that.  Fuckin' weather!

Beach? What the wind can't beat to death, the salt will eat. I love the coast and still do a rental a few times a year but it's a tougher life than lake life. Always fixing something!
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:27:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By DVCER:
A condo will have occasional “assessments” over and above HOA dues.  The older, the more often.  Stuff rots quick in salt air.
View Quote

This is all true.  Do your due diligence.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:30:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Insurance can be brutal on the beach. Make sure you know what it will cost first.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:38:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: housewolf] [#43]
Originally Posted By mousehunter:

---

https://s.hdnux.com/photos/05/20/10/1376830/4/960x0.webp
View Quote
@mousehunter
I took a pic of that same house when they first opened Bolivar to property owners after Ike. It was the only structure standing anywhere around it. The second pic is one I took the same day of what was a very nice home near ours right on the beach. Ike didn't even leave me a mess to clean up.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:40:49 PM EDT
[#44]
SIL has a condo in N.Mrtyle Beach, SC. Going there with the kiddos for a long weekend next month. It's near the House of Blues.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:42:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By AttachedFile:

This.

My parents owned a lake house. Living in it full time is great. Almost all the neighbors were weekend/2nd homes. They seemed to spend a lot of time unpacking, doing yard work and such Saturday morning. Enjoying the lake Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning then packing back up that afternoon.

When I inherited the lake house the family loved it at first but it became a burden with upkeep. If it was our primary home then we would have kept it but it was too far from our jobs and schools.
View Quote

Same.   Inherited my fathers 2nd home after he passed, kept it for a decade and sold during Covid given all the city folks were moving to the river to work remote.   I sold it as-is and I had right to leave everything…it was right for me to move on.

Going on vacation to fix a home is not a vacation.  When my son was little it was great.  As he grew older we spent less time and now with sports every weekend I knew I would just have it sit.

If you really want one.   You should not have to rent it to afford it.   If that is the case just rent a beach place for 4 weeks a year

- keeping up 2-3 houses sucks unless you are so rich you can pay someone to take care of your homes
- even with money it’s not fun. My neighbor at the river has fuck you money.  He couldn’t get anyone to fix his pool in the summer and said $1,000 to anyone who comes to give me a quote.   The money never got used.
- docks are 2-3 years out.  
-hospitals worth a shit are 1.5 hours away

I would only now consider a beach/river home if I were moving there as my primary and selling any other homes owned
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:43:34 PM EDT
[#46]

That's the thing. It I have no idea what the insurance is going to cost, but it doesn't really seem financially viable before the insurance costs.
View Quote

On a condo you only need liability and contents.  Your hoa due pays building.  Depends how you look at it but a condo in good shape. Can be a good investment.   It's all about location.  Many in good locations rent solid 90% or better
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:45:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By SCvARminter:

Wateree?
View Quote

Yep!
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:18:32 PM EDT
[#48]
One of our closest neighbors sold theirs last year.  It was Nickle 5 - I kind of think they rebuilt 4 times before the the original owners passed away and their kids could not afford to keep pumping money into it.  We kind of thought about buying it, but it was 1200sq ft and they wanted 800k.  The kids had been milking it for cash for a few years, really don't want to know how much repairs and maintenance was skipped - but most we looked at needed a couple 100k to fix up enough to rent.

That said, I know we have been deferring repairs - we have been trying to limit repairs and maintenance to 25k a year.  Right now we are sitting at needing new furniture, new carpet, paint job, and it is only a matter of time before 2 new AC units.  IIRC I put in $10k of cash the first year, $30k of cash last year, will see, but expect it will be another $20k of cash at least this year - and that is if the AC's hold out another year.  Honestly I don't think our insurance is that bad, but I had to cover the last quarter (little less than 2k) because the rental account was depleted due to a lack of off season rentals.  I think we have had 2 weeks of rent so far this year.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:22:43 PM EDT
[#49]
I own a house on the water.  Not at the beach, but on Mobile Bay.

The only way you come out ahead is if you consider the time spent there as an investment in your family.

I do not rent out my Bay house and never will.

Its like owning a boat.  You buy a boat to enjoy, not to make money.

I know a few people that rent out their beach/bay houses, and they end up never going themselves because it is always rented.

I can't imagine life without owning a Bay House... It's just something you have when you live in Mobile Al.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:48:34 PM EDT
[#50]
My wife and I inherited one in Humarock, MA some years ago. It's been a royal pita to open in between being susceptible to damage from squalls etc and dealing with renters during the summer months.

The cash haul is nice but sometimes it just isn't worth the effort. We are able to keep it occupied for most of the summer at around $4k-7k a week.

Taxes and insurance take a huge hit out of the income.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top