Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/7/2024 5:52:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: donnieR32]
Have a friend that is salaried. She's intending to take 3 days off. She was told she won't be paid for those three days. From what I can tell, she works over 40 hours a week.

I'm my world, our employees accrue PTO and this would never fly. My friend works in the food service industry and I'm not well versed in that space.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:16:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I don’t earn PTO, because I have unlimited PTO.

But her situation sounds like she needs a new employer.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:17:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't think there's a law that requires PTO.....

But, if she's working more than 40 hours per week or 80 hours every two weeks and is not an exempt employee, she's probably due overtime.  Salary or not.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:17:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DDiggler:
I don’t earn PTO, because I have unlimited PTO.

But her situation sounds like she needs a new employer.
View Quote

Yeah "unlimited" is a different animal.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:18:10 PM EDT
[#4]
That's an awful arrangement. My last 4 or 6 jobs over 30+ years have been salaried and I've always earned PTO. Sometimes it was done as x amount of hours per day or per week or per pay period. Way back I did have one salaried position that simply granted 3 weeks time off on January 1 every year. I currently get something like 28 hours a month but I've been here about 15 years.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:19:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By WWolfe:
I don't think there's a law that requires PTO.....

But, if she's working more than 40 hours per week or 80 hours every two weeks and is not an exempt employee, she's probably due overtime.  Salary or not.
View Quote

Was just told over time pay is in the form of picking up extra shifts to earn tips.... no real OT.

To clarify, this is a pub/restaurant.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:24:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By donnieR32:

Was just told over time pay is in the form of picking up extra shifts to earn tips.... no real OT.

View Quote

Oh - that's different, I think.  A job that involves tipping has a much lower minimum wage, and employment rules.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:29:53 PM EDT
[#7]

Oh - that's different, I think.  A job that involves tipping has a much lower minimum wage, and employment rules.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I figured that dynamic mattered. Salaried but not salary or cap on hours and no PTO sounded strange.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 9:26:49 PM EDT
[#8]

View All Quotes

I'm gonna guess her employer is using "salary" to break labor laws. Tips and salary don't usually go together and US DOL has a minimum amount that must be paid as salary.

To qualify for exemption, employees generally must be paid at not less than $684* per week on a salary basis.

You might point her at this link.

https://www.dol.gov/agencies/whd/fact-sheets/17g-overtime-salary
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:21:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Andr0id:

I'm gonna guess her employer is using "salary" to break labor laws. Tips and salary don't usually go together and US DOL has a minimum amount that must be paid as salary.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Andr0id:

To qualify for exemption, employees generally must be paid at not less than $684* per week on a salary basis.

I will. Thank you
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:43:04 PM EDT
[#10]
didn't the .Gov come out with new salary guidelines for employee's like this in the past month?
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:45:35 PM EDT
[#11]
A salaried position at a bar/restaurant? Unless she is management (and probably not even then) then they are probably breaking the law. The government has rules on the types of positions that can be salaried.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:25:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Have a friend that is salaried. She's intending to take 3 days off. She was told she won't be paid for those three days. From what I can tell, she works over 40 hours a week.

I'm my world, our employees accrue PTO and this would never fly. My friend works in the food service industry and I'm not well versed in that space.
View Quote

It's very common to be salary and have to charge vacation or sick. Generally it says more than one half day gone.

Salary = surprise you now get to work 70 and we don't have to pay you or provide you with the requisite meal and rest break periods.

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:14:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Every salary job I ever had fell into 3 categories:

1.  You get granted x number of days PTO on Jan 1.  Use it or lose it.

2.  You earn/accrue PTO.  You can bank some of your unused PTO for the next year.  If you need to take vacation in January, you have to get permission to "borrow" against your planned PTO, or they could make you take time off without pay.

3.  Unlimited PTO, where I am at now.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:01:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Yes, salaried positions without PTO exists.

I'm salaried and am contracted to work 260 days a year (52x5), but I accrue 20 vacation days to use whenever I want, along with 12 sick days, 3 personal days, and 11 or 12 paid holidays.

My employer recently changed policies for new people, and people that change positions.  My supervisor got his job after the policy change.  He does not accrue any vacation time.  All he gets is 2 personal days and 10 sick days, no vacation time or holidays.  He's also only paid for 220 days a year, and has no say in when he takes any time off.  The HR department has him take some unpaid time off around Christmas and in the summer (and he's off on the holidays I get paid for but he doesn't get paid for).  Apart from those 2 personal days he can't decide to take a paid day off just because he wants to.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:03:51 AM EDT
[#15]
If you consistently work over 40 hours a week and don't take/get PTO, you made a bad choice not being hourly.

Ask me how I know
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:07:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By KentuckyMarksman:
My supervisor got his job after the policy change.  He does not accrue any vacation time.  All he gets is 2 personal days and 10 sick days, no vacation time or holidays.  He's also only paid for 220 days a year, and has no say in when he takes any time off.  The HR department has him take some unpaid time off around Christmas and in the summer (and he's off on the holidays I get paid for but he doesn't get paid for).  Apart from those 2 personal days he can't decide to take a paid day off just because he wants to.
View Quote

Thats nuts.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 2:25:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By FALARAK:

Thats nuts.
View Quote

100% agreed, and that was a big factor in my decision to not apply for my supervisor's job when it was posted.  It only pays $10k (before tax) more than my job, and with the added responsibilities, evening work, and total lack of flexibility in time off it just wouldn't be worth it to me.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 2:49:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Foxxz:
A salaried position at a bar/restaurant? Unless she is management (and probably not even then) then they are probably breaking the law. The government has rules on the types of positions that can be salaried.
View Quote

Operates as the GM, but gets bar shifts when people call out. Gets to keep the tips.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 2:59:23 PM EDT
[#19]
At my work, we don't accrue PTO.   Its unlimited.  From the day you start work, you have infinity PTO.  Obviously if you abuse it, they'll learn the company runs fine without you and terminate you.  
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 3:02:08 PM EDT
[#20]

Operates as the GM, but gets bar shifts when people call out. Gets to keep the tips.
View Quote

He’s probably better off just taking regular job/shifts.  Management going in dry.  In his current spot, treat it like a contractor/1099 gig, work an extra 24 hours and take the time off.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 3:37:12 PM EDT
[#21]
I've never worked a salaried position and didn't get PTO/Sick Time,  and that is all I work.   And comp days for working on a weekend.  

Your friend has a shitty employer.  She should look elsewhere.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:35:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By KentuckyMarksman:
Yes, salaried positions without PTO exists.

I'm salaried and am contracted to work 260 days a year (52x5), but I accrue 20 vacation days to use whenever I want, along with 12 sick days, 3 personal days, and 11 or 12 paid holidays.

My employer recently changed policies for new people, and people that change positions.  My supervisor got his job after the policy change.  He does not accrue any vacation time.  All he gets is 2 personal days and 10 sick days, no vacation time or holidays.  He's also only paid for 220 days a year, and has no say in when he takes any time off.  The HR department has him take some unpaid time off around Christmas and in the summer (and he's off on the holidays I get paid for but he doesn't get paid for).  Apart from those 2 personal days he can't decide to take a paid day off just because he wants to.
View Quote

That last paragraph: Yeah, fuck that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top