Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/12/2024 9:49:48 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:03:36 AM EDT
[#1]
I tend to try to stay OEM or SKF, etc on bearings. Timken is sometimes overseas now too.

I tend to temper the reviews with the understanding that it's certainly possible to get bad stuff out of the box, and it happens more often now, but it's entirely possible that it was installed by a retard.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:13:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:17:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Into_the_Void] [#3]
Stick with timken.  Even if their quality has gone down, they're still the safest bet.  

Hasn't skf gone completely to China?

Keep in mind failure rates have probably gone up from assholes running 14" wheels with 13" offsets
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:20:54 AM EDT
[#4]
I use primarily Timken for all things.

Bad parts from good manufacturers are rare, far more often the problem is with who installed them.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:21:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By NwG:

Bad parts from good manufacturers are rare, far more often the problem is with who installed them.
View Quote

How the hell can someone fuck up a unit bearing
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:22:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Made in Japan KOYO are some of the best.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:24:45 AM EDT
[#7]
I tend to not care about bearing brands so much as where it's made. Obviously i prefer American made first, followed by other 1st world countries like japan, germany, korea etc. I avoid bearings made in 3rd world shit holes like china, vietnam, pakistan, malaysia, etc if at all possible.

I just recently put in a clutch on my Miata. I made it a point to get the japanese made clutch kit by exedy. It came with a japanese made throw out bearing and pilot bearing. Actually all the parts in the clutch were made in japan. Exactly what I wanted.  The japanese made clutch kit was $150. The chinese clutches are $50.

This also does for auto parts in general, I really try to avoid the chinese made stuff if I can.  It's not always possible to avoid chinese auto parts, but I do it whenever possible. It seems like they really cheat on material quality.  Chinese bearings are junk. So are their cv joints, u joints, and any thing else that is precision.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:25:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:28:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Jeffg:
View Quote

Koyo was the other I was trying to think of. Everything I've got from Toyota that I can remember is from Toyo. Good stuff

Originally Posted By Into_the_Void:
View Quote

Have you met the public?
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:32:40 AM EDT
[#10]
SKF, FAG, TIMKEN, NSK, NTN, NACHI, and KOYO, are all OEM to various car manufactures.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:33:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Agilt:

Koyo was the other I was trying to think of. Everything I've got from Toyota that I can remember is from Toyo. Good stuff

Have you met the public?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Agilt:
Originally Posted By Jeffg:

Have you met the public?

Yeah, but follow my logic.

If you're dumb enough to fuck up a unit bearing, you're not smart enough to get it out.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:33:59 AM EDT
[#12]

View Quote

I’ve asked myself the same question on a great number of parts that have passed through my shop in 20+ years.

All I can figure is it started a long time ago when someone thought a bigger rock was the answer.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:37:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Waldo] [#13]
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:38:55 AM EDT
[#14]

I’ve asked myself the same question on a great number of parts that have passed through my shop in 20+ years.

All I can figure is it started a long time ago when someone thought a bigger rock was the answer.
View All Quotes

I'm not familiar with this particular setup, but if it is possible to screw up the preload, that will do it to a bearing for sure, no matter the bearing quality. Too little is every bit as bad as too much. And as someone else noted, running a drastically different wheel offset will do it too.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:41:05 AM EDT
[#15]

Yeah, but follow my logic.

If you're dumb enough to fuck up a unit bearing, you're not smart enough to get it out.
View Quote

View Quote

As NwG says:

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:44:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DayandNight1701] [#16]

View Quote

Wtf is a "unit bearing?"  I've been a mechanic for 20+ years and never heard the term. You mean a pre-installed hub flange wheel bearing and all you have to do is bolt it in?  Say like on a 2004ish Chevy truck?
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:46:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:47:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By DayandNight1701:

Wtf is a "unit bearing?"  I've been a mechanic for 20+ years and never heard the term. You mean a pre-installed hub flange wheel bearing and all you have to do is bolt it in?  Say like on a 2004ish Chevy truck?
View All Quotes

Yes
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:47:18 AM EDT
[#19]

View Quote
I've never replaced a timken unit bearing.  The oem usually goes 60-100K and the Timken I replace them with has been lifetime of the truck after that.  Usually 300k ish.

I haven't had to replace one lately so maybe the quality has tanked, but I still buy timken at work anytime I can.  My go to bearing company.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:50:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:50:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SkyFive] [#21]
FAG  

Schaeffler Group, AG
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:52:22 AM EDT
[#22]

Yes
View Quote

#The more you know

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:53:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By SkyFive:
FAG

View Quote

It's pronounced "Fashe" and they make the best shit.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:00:09 AM EDT
[#24]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SkyFive:
FAG

No wonder I got weird looks at parts stores

"Timken, skf, koyo, or faggot are fine"
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:08:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Waldo:

I live close to the Summit Racing warehouse in Ohio and they have the Timkins in stock. I may have to go pick one up in the morning if I can't locate an OEM hub online today.
View All Quotes
Stick with timken.  Even if their quality has gone down, they're still the safest bet.  

Hasn't skf gone completely to China?

Keep in mind failure rates have probably gone up from assholes running 14" wheels with 13" offsets

I live close to the Summit Racing warehouse in Ohio and they have the Timkins in stock. I may have to go pick one up in the morning if I can't locate an OEM hub online today.

Sounds like a plan.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:10:29 AM EDT
[#26]

View Quote
Unit bearing has been the standard name for this type of arrangement since forever.  I'd be concerned if someone calling themself a mechanic was unfamiliar with the term.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:25:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By turbobrick:
Unit bearing has been the standard name for this type of arrangement since forever.  I'd be concerned if someone calling themself a mechanic was unfamiliar with the term.
View Quote

Maybe in Vegas they talk like that.  
I never heard it either. we just call them wheel bearings.  

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:29:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: xd341] [#28]
Originally Posted By Squeefoo:

View Quote
a wheel bearing is an individual loose bearing.  Like you would have on a solid axle.  Unit bearings or hubs are the assembly of multiple bearings, the wheel hub with it's studs and usually the ABS sensor that bolts in as a unit to the "spindle" which isn't really a spindle, the spindle is technically in the unit bearing attached to the hub.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:31:46 AM EDT
[#29]
My 03 ram 2500 diesel has had AutoZone (dura last?) Front hubs on it for ~3 years and ~30k miles.

I started buying AutoZone parts because I was having OEM parts (AC Delco when I had a 2500 suburban)fail like clockwork right after the parts warranty ran out. I figured that if I was going to buy trash parts, I'd get trash parts with a lifetime warranty. I've had pretty good luck with them.

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:33:26 AM EDT
[#30]

View Quote

Installation  can cause as many failures or more than the bearing failure itself.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:33:36 AM EDT
[#31]

It would be hard to over torque it by hand since I think it's somewhere around 250-260 ft. lbs.

Different story if you have a monkey with a 1" impact gun though.
View Quote

Quite a few folks don’t realize it needs to be 250 ft lbs and they only go to 80/90 …problems soon follow. Heck a lot of folks don’t have a tq wrench that breaks 150.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:35:06 AM EDT
[#32]
Any bearing made in a country that is not China or India
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:37:36 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Wangstang:

Quite a few folks don't realize it needs to be 250 ft lbs and they only go to 80/90  problems soon follow. Heck a lot of folks don't have a tq wrench that breaks 150.
View Quote
I use 4 ugga duggas on the milwaukee problem solver.

Torque is such a fussy thing to get accurate it's almost useless for the average person.  That's why critical stuff is torque to yield these days, the smarts are in the fastener.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:40:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By VVinci:

I'm not familiar with this particular setup, but if it is possible to screw up the preload, that will do it to a bearing for sure, no matter the bearing quality. Too little is every bit as bad as too much. And as someone else noted, running a drastically different wheel offset will do it too.
View Quote

It would be hard to over torque it by hand since I think it's somewhere around 250-260 ft. lbs.

Different story if you have a monkey with a 1" impact gun though.
View Quote

I'd guess that most modern front hubs are killed by being too loose.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:41:17 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By xd341:
a wheel bearing is an individual loose bearing.  Like you would have on a solid axle.  Unit bearings or hubs are the assembly of multiple bearings, the wheel hub with it's studs and usually the ABS sensor that bolts in as a unit to the "spindle" which isn't really a spindle, the spindle is technically in the unit bearing attached to the hub.
View Quote

I know what it is.
I just replaced 2 of them last week without destroying the dust shields.  

The issue was terminology.
When I call my parts guy we just call them wheel bearings, which is what it is at the root, everybody knows what it is without being overly specific.

If I called it a unit bearing, he would say they don't make one small enough for your unit and laugh.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:42:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DayandNight1701] [#36]
View Quote

lol K

They don't call me Big Dick Daddy from Cincinnati for no reason.   I also do heavy equipment but I'm getting old.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:45:38 AM EDT
[#37]

I know what it is.
I just replaced 2 of them last week without destroying the dust shields.  

The issue was terminology.
When I call my parts guy we just call them wheel bearings, which is what it is at the root, everybody knows what it is without being overly specific.

If I called it a unit bearing, he would say they don't make one small enough for your unit and laugh.
View Quote
Sorry man I wasn't trying to imply you didn't know what it was, Just laying out the definitions of the terms as I understand them

Nice job not nuking the dust shields, I'm not too proud to tell you that I've done one in like 25 minutes only to get it all back together and realize I forgot to put the dust shield back on! fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuk!
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:48:08 AM EDT
[#38]
View All Quotes

You mean "knuckle".
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:48:33 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By whiskerz:
Any bearing made in a country that is not China or India
View Quote

Almost every example of Caterpillar made equipment would fail by your statement. I will always look for the USA marking on bearings I buy, but Japan, Sweden and Denmark get a pass from me.

New Cat equipment is a hodgepodge of foreign made components.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:53:30 AM EDT
[#40]
Timkin, SKF, National in that order.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:57:02 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Rick-OShay:

You mean "knuckle".
View Quote
yeah...I've heard that too.  A steering knuckle to me at least is at the end of a solid axle...but picking knits...
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:59:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Waldo] [#42]
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:00:25 PM EDT
[#43]
yeah...I've heard that too.  A steering knuckle to me at least is at the end of a solid axle...but picking knits...
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Rick-OShay:

You mean "knuckle".

Correct.

A knuckle is the turning part of a solid axle.  Anything else is a spindle.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 6:44:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 7:21:04 PM EDT
[#45]

View Quote
Not torque the center, for one. Takes a lot more than "one ugga dugga".

Nick
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 7:26:43 PM EDT
[#46]

View All Quotes

It's a unit bearing in MI
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 7:30:46 PM EDT
[#47]

lol K

https://i.imgur.com/jllpygk.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/XFmjyc6.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/VS19TS1.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/X0QB3tm.jpeg

They don't call me Big Dick Daddy from Cincinnati for no reason.   I also do heavy equipment but I'm getting old.
View All Quotes

lol K

https://i.imgur.com/jllpygk.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/XFmjyc6.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/VS19TS1.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/X0QB3tm.jpeg

Doesn't take a rocket surgeon to know lefty loosy, righty tighty.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 7:53:58 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:06:37 PM EDT
[#49]

I finally have to replace one in my old 2007 powerwagon.  I've pulled them before to change front axle joints, but they were always fine and I just reinstalled them.

The reviews on replacements are always shit, doesn't matter if they're Timken, MOOG or any of the parts house brands.  A lot of "failed at less than 5000 miles" comments.

View Quote

Stay OE

Haven't had luck with moog at all the last 8 years

They don't last more then 10,15k miles when I would sell them
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:06:50 PM EDT
[#50]

The reviews on replacements are always shit, doesn't matter if they're Timken, MOOG or any of the parts house brands.  A lot of "failed at less than 5000 miles" comments.

View Quote
It's a crap shoot.
Some good, some trash.
Customer is responsible  for Quality Control and durability testing.
Even genuine Timken are Xhinese made now.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top