Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/6/2024 2:44:25 PM EDT
In case anybody needs see what one looks like, here you go!

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:03:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -Obsessed-] [#1]
What is so catastrophic? Looks fine.

I had a catastrophic failure. Runaway heater led to the aluminum getting so hot that the nozzle dug into the metal build plate from expansion and then the metal got so soft the nozzle ripped out of the heat block, then that caused the e axis to melt.

Trashed the entire E axis in terms of plastic parts, heater, heater block, thermistor, heat break, nozzle, print fan, heat break fan, heat sink, and build plate.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:11:18 PM EDT
[#2]
The nozzle came loose? It happens once in a while .

Remove, break off all the bits that don't stress other stuff on the hot end, warm until the plastic is soft, and clean off.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:22:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rooster-X] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By homeyclaus:
The nozzle came loose? It happens once in a while .

Remove, break off all the bits that don't stress other stuff on the hot end, warm until the plastic is soft, and clean off.
View Quote

That's 6 hours of a 10 hour print. It's solid PLA Pro, not going anywhere. Literally is in the fan blades.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:32:09 PM EDT
[#4]
The one time that happened with my old Monoprice printer, it was easier to replace the entire hotend than to try to save it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:59:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By 2ANut:
The one time that happened with my old Monoprice printer, it was easier to replace the entire hotend than to try to save it.
View Quote

Totally fair if it filled the entire hotend cover
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 5:59:25 PM EDT
[#6]
If your lucky a heatgun and some pliers can get that off.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 6:19:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TODD-67] [#7]
I have to laugh a little bit. Those of us that have that have been around since the beginnings have gone through the same shit.

Heat gun very sparingly and small needle nose to get the bulk out. Might have to blip the heaters for the hot end on to about 60% of extrusion temps. Replace the nozzle and move on. If I am on the PC later I will post some pics to make you feel better.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 6:30:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TODD-67] [#8]
Originally Posted By Rooster-X:

That's 6 hours of a 10 hour print. It's solid PLA Pro, not going anywhere. Literally is in the fan blades.
View Quote

Fans are cheap. After the guys in the office shoved raw filament into the fans changing materials hot I bought a 12 pack and terminated them for plug and play replacement.

Outside of the drives there isn't much to the hot ends.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 7:39:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Oh, I've seen worse. This thing was working so well too. Like Mr Consistent. I know I can clean it up, and should, but it'll give me a good reason to down convert the SR to stock. Just swap out the effector and move on. I will try to clean it up, but in my industry, this is what we call "spare parts".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top