Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/7/2024 9:27:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MadeintheUSA]
I have an Ice Barrel 500. I'm in southeast Florida and my 1/4 hp chiller runs about once every 1.5-2 hours. It begins cooling after it rises 1 degree. I have it set at 48 degrees with the danner 950 pump on constantly. I'm wondering if I need to turn off the pump because the water is heating up from flowing through the pipes in the Florida heat, but my pipes are insulated it shouldn't be that bad.

If you have no clue what this post is all about, and never done a cold plunge, it's pretty amazing how much a daily 2 min plunge after your morning shower can do for your physical and mental wellness. I'm never tired anymore.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:44:06 AM EDT
[#1]
After trying the cold shower thing for a week in November several years ago I decided that stuff is for people that live where it's hot and/or work inside.

We get enough of the cold by just existing in it.

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:16:18 AM EDT
[#2]
I’ve read there’s no proof that cold plunging has any demonstrable benefits.

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:20:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Oakley] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dogsplat:

View Quote

My limited anecdotal opinion. After a workout in the heat after climbing out of a cold tub I "feel" like I am less swollen. Not sure I have any better way to describe it, I also don't know if it improves recovery outside of the initial plunge and feel.

ETA: I am also at this point pretty sure I wouldn't pay to have one.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:31:43 PM EDT
[#4]

View Quote

Really?
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:20:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I used to buy large bags of ice and put them in my bathtub along with cold water.  I was hard to get in at first but I would lay in it.  At first I thought it was having an effect, but there were no measurable gains or other noticeable differences in my day due to it.  

I stopped doing it and deemed it a waste of my time.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:39:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By lefty-weaver-g19:
I used to buy large bags of ice and put them in my bathtub along with cold water.  I was hard to get in at first but I would lay in it.  At first I thought it was having an effect, but there were no measurable gains or other noticeable differences in my day due to it.  

I stopped doing it and deemed it a waste of my time.
View Quote

I can't see how making my day even more miserable is beneficial, especially in the winter when we are spending most of the day freezing at work.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:51:05 PM EDT
[#7]

View Quote

It’s the sleight of hand steroid users on instagram use to pretend to be natural.

Ice plunges, raw eggs, drinking your own jizz,  bone broth, excess protein intake etc.

Workout eat square healthy meals. You will be as healthy as your personal genetic disposition as a human can be. No amount of ice baths is going to do anything but make you cold.

You want more than that. Get on the sauce. You will be able to recover quickly and workout 8 hours a day and get big and swole.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:39:08 PM EDT
[#8]
I see state sponsored weightlifting teams doing it all the time.  Maybe it's just an eastern European thing, they're big on the sauna too.

Don't recall seeing any Asians doing the plunge, but who knows.

First time I've heard about the jizz trick though.  So let's say this gym bunny is blowing all the guys loaded up on HGH and stanozolol, is that why she's front squatting 180 for triple?  
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:13:54 AM EDT
[#9]

View Quote

I've read that it does.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:17:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By GutWrench:

It’s the sleight of hand steroid users on instagram use to pretend to be natural.

Ice plunges, raw eggs, drinking your own jizz,  bone broth, excess protein intake etc.

Workout eat square healthy meals. You will be as healthy as your personal genetic disposition as a human can be. No amount of ice baths is going to do anything but make you cold.

You want more than that. Get on the sauce. You will be able to recover quickly and workout 8 hours a day and get big and swole.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GutWrench:

Eating your own jizz is a waste of time.  No benefits.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 8:04:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MadeintheUSA] [#11]
Originally Posted By txinvestigator:

I've read that it does.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By txinvestigator:

I've read there's no proof that cold plunging has any demonstrable benefits.

I've read that it does.
I can say with 100% certainty that it does. The dopamine and hormones released have increased my energy substantially. I'm not beat up or worn out after Jiu jitsu. Muscle soreness is mild at best after heavy workouts. I typically plunge for 2 minutes after my morning shower, or if I can't do that, 20 minutes before I lift or shortly after rolling Jiu jitsu or kickboxing. You only need 11 minutes total per week, but I do it daily for 2 minutes. Look up Andrew Huberman and Soberg interview for more info. And for people with insulin resistance, it fixes that shit too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top