Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/7/2024 4:19:09 AM EDT
If you were to pick one exercise,  what would you choose?

My heavy lifts are suffering.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:43:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Why pick one exercise?  Seems silly to limit yourself to one movement.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:55:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Mostly time I don't have.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 5:29:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Kettle bells
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 9:33:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JoeDevola] [#4]
Roger, Russian Twists w/ kettle bells are great.  'Bout to go do some of those right now.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 9:45:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Hanging leg raises are pretty brutal. I'm doing those and cable crunches right now actually.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:44:10 AM EDT
[#6]
You can do a pretty serious workout in less than an hour.  Do that 3-4 times a week for several years and experience major improvements.  
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:15:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By lefty-weaver-g19:
Why pick one exercise?  Seems silly to limit yourself to one movement.
View Quote

Exactly. Core muscles like others respond to a wide variety of exercises, rep ranges and volume.

What are your specific objectives? That drives exercise selection.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:14:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Mostly compound stuff 5x5s.  I've always been great at pulling but now, being older,  seems my core is keeping me back.

I know I can pull close to twice what I am now.  But I feel like my si joint,  LS region is going to let go if I  push it.  And if I brace any harder I'm going to blow my nuts across the gym. Lol.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 3:04:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Overhead stuff works your core pretty good.

Snatch, clean, jerks and their variations.  Try a set of 5 snatch balances with just the bar.  

Snatch Balance | Olympic Weightlifting Exercise Library

But for direct accessory work, I do leg raises (decompresses my back too) and back extensions.

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 3:06:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Ab roller for me.

Outside of the gym if you can get some time in a K1 kayak or a surfski, that's really the best thing I've found, although the learning curve is gigantic.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:27:55 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't do any core-specific exercises.

squats, deadlifts, weighted/walking lunges, RDLs, standing shoulder press, pull ups, standing arm movements (curls, reverse curls, etc).  They all engage core muscles.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:38:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By rob78:

squats, deadlifts, weighted/walking lunges, RDLs, standing shoulder press, pull ups, standing arm movements (curls, reverse curls, etc).  They all engage core muscles.
View Quote

I thought so, but my upper is outlifting/ out pacing my lower back and hips.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:42:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Cooper1:
If you were to pick one exercise,  what would you choose?

My heavy lifts are suffering.
View Quote

I'm no expert, but I'd say heavy squats.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 5:29:49 PM EDT
[#14]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By rob78:

If your core is holding you back, simply doing other exercises that "engage" the core won't overcome that plateau (you're already doing that). You need to strengthen those muscles and the same way you train other muscles.

Maybe some powerlifting programs incorporate core exercises you can choose. If you're trying to strengthen your core to support compound lifts, I'd try weighted or difficult movements at low to moderate reps.

Also incorporate all muscles- upper and lower abs, obliques and lumbars (I like training these with abs).
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:23:02 PM EDT
[#15]
This isn't hard...

squats, deadlifts, bench press, and overhead press.  Those movements give you the best bang for your time.  Then add in a couple accessory lifts that work your weak points.  Rotate in power cleans and snatches if you want something more athletic.  Pullups and dips are good for accessories.  Heck I even throw in curls and situps on a decline bench...oh gasp yes I do situps...lol.

The first four lifts I mentioned along with cardio will take you a very long way and accomplish amazing results with nothing else added in if you do them correctly, with progressive overload, consistently, and for a long period of time.

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:34:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Pullups with a hollow body.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 9:28:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MadeintheUSA] [#17]
Pass a heavy Kettle bell around your waist for 15-20 reps. It's very effective.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 12:12:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Squat deadlift bench.

Nothing is as good
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 12:17:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Any barbell or dumbbell workout while not sitting is great for the core. Compound lifts and a barbell complex will do it.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:30:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:14:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top