Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/11/2024 6:21:06 PM EDT
Picked up a 2020 EZ-Go TXT on the cheap but it needs batteries. Do I replace the lead-acid or “upgrade” to lithium (along with charger)?

Why or why not?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 6:24:07 PM EDT
[#1]
lithium
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 6:24:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By coldair:
lithium
View Quote

Why or why not

Sir.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 6:25:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Lead acid is the killer of golf carts, rots the frames out from the outgassing of sulfuric acid.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 6:45:40 PM EDT
[#4]
well I just pulled my third set of lead acid batteries out in 5 years.
lead acid batteries are messy always leaking acid fumes up
they are heavy
you have to keep water in them and here in Florida that is a weekly thing
when you give them hard throttle their voltage falls off quickly
their range is a lot less
they are only warrantied for 2 years
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 7:00:06 PM EDT
[#5]
From the pricing I did LiFePO4 batteries are about 4-5 times more expensive, and you need a different (again expensive) charger to use with them.  I didn't think the trade off was worth it, so I went with good old lead-acid.  

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 7:00:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Trojan is the leader in golf cart batteries
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 7:03:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Lithium.
NO maintenance
NO distilled water
More expensive but supposed to be 3 times the life of lead.
Almost 300 lbs lighter than 6 - 8v lead batteries

I believe ours (48v) came with a 7yr warranty (?)
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 7:06:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MethaneMover] [#8]
Unless you use it on the links put in new, high quality batteries then sell it and buy gasoline.  They're infinitely better at everything off course.

Been there, done that- gasoline is the king for a GP golf cart

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 7:10:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Whether its lead or lithium. The answer is how they are maintained.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 7:21:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Trade it in for a gasser?
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 7:23:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Went from lead-acid to lithium and saved 308 pounds
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 7:25:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By rbb2:
Trade it in for a gasser?
View Quote

I was searching for gas powered initially. I got this for a good enough deal from a friend that I could put multiple sets of batteries in it and still be money ahead.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 7:26:45 PM EDT
[#13]
I don't drive mine that much and batteries rarely require water. Some get at least 5 years out of them. I believe the guy I bought my cart from only spent $480 on 36V batteries at Costco. I think lithiums are $3k, no?
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 7:26:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By xciapup:
Whether its lead or lithium. The answer is how they are maintained.
View Quote

Maintenance won’t be an issue.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 7:34:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Lead acid is a dying market for golf carts.  Lithium is taking over at an increasing rate every year.  Low maintenance and much better overall performance.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 7:37:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By MethaneMover:
Unless you use it on the links put in new, high quality batteries then sell it and buy gasoline.  They're infinitely better at everything off course.

View Quote

Yeah, no.  EV carts have much better acceleration and top speed with very low maintenance.  Boomers are afraid of range, but you can get up to 80 miles per charge on a 210AH lithium.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 7:43:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dirtyboy] [#17]
I know several that have gone Lithium, they all love it.  Cart weighs much less and has more power, rides better too.  Should last much longer also.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 7:45:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Definitely lithium.  Lighter and you get twice the useable Ah.  More expensive but it pencils out to be cheaper in the long run.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 7:50:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Supra_MK3:

Yeah, no.  EV carts have much better acceleration and top speed with very low maintenance.  Boomers are afraid of range, but you can get up to 80 miles per charge on a 210AH lithium.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

If you want a golf cart for high acceleration or top speeds then I agree, electric wins.  But that's not what I'd consider to be a General Purpose cart, either.  As for maintenance I don't see how you could make that comparison without including the charge hours (won't run without it) and then it gets silly in favor of gasoline.

OP got his for a steal so I understand the allure- thats how I tried the electric cart too.  In the end, you'll want gasoline.  Unless, like I said above, there are hard reasons that you can't.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 7:53:08 PM EDT
[#20]
If you want a golf cart for high acceleration or top speeds then I agree, electric wins.  But that's not what I'd consider to be a General Purpose cart, either.  As for maintenance I don't see how you could make that comparison without including the charge hours (won't run without it) and then it gets silly in favor of gasoline.

OP got his for a steal so I understand the allure- thats how I tried the electric cart too.  In the end, you'll want gasoline.  Unless, like I said above, there are hard reasons that you can't.
View Quote

Plugging in a cart when it isn't in use is hardly maintenance.  There are very few people that are going to drain a lithium battery in a single day.  But okay.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 7:58:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MethaneMover] [#21]

Plugging in a cart when it isn't in use is hardly maintenance.  There are very few people that are going to drain a lithium battery in a single day.  But okay.
View All Quotes

Downtime is downtime.  Don't do it and then show me how your cart works.

Also- golf cart maintenance?  The fuck?  Does an annual 2qt oil change wrinkle your panties?
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 8:38:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By QwikKotaTx:
I don't drive mine that much and batteries rarely require water. Some get at least 5 years out of them. I believe the guy I bought my cart from only spent $480 on 36V batteries at Costco. I think lithiums are $3k, no?
View Quote

You can get them for significantly cheaper than they were a few years ago which was the last time I researched them, but a 48V set is still going to be 800-1200 for the amp hour rating I would be looking for. Not a small cost by any means but still less than I recall.

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 8:45:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Lithium for longevity and even power output. Less mess.

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 8:53:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Downtime is downtime.  Don't do it and then show me how your cart works.

Also- golf cart maintenance?  The fuck?  Does an annual 2qt oil change wrinkle your panties?
View Quote

Okay boomer.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 9:06:12 PM EDT
[#25]
I got about 5 years from my last set of lead acid batteries and replaced them recently with the same (36v cart), for about $800. A friend has lithiums in his (it is a stretch cart) and they have been nothing but trouble. I’m not sure what’s wrong but I’ve helped his kids push the cart home several times already. Anecdotal but I’m hesitant on lithiums based on his experience (which could be something other than battery related).
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 9:13:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: nottooslow] [#26]
I went with lithium.
more expensive but way lighter (300#) and 30 mile range vs 8 with the old lead acid ones. Also, charging time is shorter. Still take a few hours though, but not 6-8.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 9:24:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By nottooslow:
I went with lithium.
more expensive but way lighter (300#) and 30 mile range vs 8 with the old lead acid ones. Also, charging time is shorter. Still take a few hours though, but not 6-8.
View Quote

Shortened charge time is another positive imo.

Cart is a 48V setup so looking at 6 8v’s as opposed to 4 12’s but still researching pros and cons of both
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 9:31:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By SERVED_USMC:

Shortened charge time is another positive imo.

Cart is a 48V setup so looking at 6 8v’s as opposed to 4 12’s but still researching pros and cons of both
View Quote

We went with 1 - 48v lithium
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 9:57:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Do they have a battery management system that comes with them?
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:38:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JDennis] [#30]
I don't know, mine has a Kawasaki 400D engine. The one that comes in their smaller Mule side by side  

Lithium is well worth the upgrade if you plan to keep the Buggy.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:15:58 AM EDT
[#31]

View All Quotes

My kids do easily, I’m looking for a gas one now.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:35:42 AM EDT
[#32]
We have lead batteries but I'm going with a lithium power cell. Pros Better range, performance, Battery life and no drop in power. Easier maintenance,  charging.  Cons cost.  Ours lasted 4 years. They would of probably lasted longer but I fucked up and let the water run down in the cells. Looking at Eco lithium. My son in law has a cart with the eco lithium power cell and it has good performance and troubles free.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:50:29 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Ranxerox911:
Do they have a battery management system that comes with them?
View Quote

The nicer the pack, the better the BMS

People get in trouble chaining a bunch of cheap small packs together for AH instead of running a single large one.  The little ones don't always play well together.  Some do, but not all
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:52:11 AM EDT
[#34]
I've got an older TXT that I swapped to Lithium.  Was originally 36V and I went up to 48V with batteries from bigbattery.com.  I also switched out to a Navitas controller and an AC motor.  It'll lift the front tires if I turn up the acceleration and my highest registered top speed is 55mph.  Just about rolled the damn thing at that speed.  Turned down to safe acceleration and 20mph max most of the time.  

I don't do anything with it but run around my little lake community in the summer, so it was all a huge waste of time and money, but it makes me giggle.

If I were you, I'd go to lithium because it's lighter and in many cases cheaper.  Downsides are instead of getting weak as they go dead, you just have to stop.  You've got to keep an eye on the voltage.  And they occasionally catch on fire and burn your house down.  Check out BigBattery and RoyPow.  Or if you're into DIY, there are lots of forums where you can find instructions on how to build your own cell out of used Tesla and Nissan Leaf batteries.  

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:00:41 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By mstennes:

View All Quotes

I have a gas and electric, electric wins no contest

60ah lithium battery = 30 miles.
120ah lithium battery = 60 miles.
210ah lithium battery = 80 miles.

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 7:57:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Lithium.  All the reasons mentioned above PLUS if you just leave it charged for a week doing other stuff, travel whatever, and leave it unplugged when you come home it is STILL CHARGED.  Lead acid doesn't do that.  I left my new lithium for  2 months unplugged and it was good to go when I returned.  Lead acid requires a trickle charge etc.

Plus PITA putting distilled water in lead/acid batteries.  

Also the cost isn't THAT prohibitive.

6 x $150 for lead acid = $900.  Realistically other charges etc $1000.  To last 5-7 years or so will take at least two sets so $2000.

Lithium upgrade (do it yourself) about $2500.  Should last as long as the 2 lead acid lifetime.

BTW if you are not on a golf course as mentioned above gas is a better choice.  I don't have that option as my club mandated electric only which I approve.  Quieter and less stinky.

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:03:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Admiral_Crunch] [#37]
I bought my cart about 3 years ago.  I paid extra for lithium, and I have never regretted that decision for a second.

Totally zero maintenance.  Just charge and go.   The batteries should last a lot longer than lead.

Lithium is better in every way except initial cost.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:05:50 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By TheLookingGlass:
From the pricing I did LiFePO4 batteries are about 4-5 times more expensive, and you need a different (again expensive) charger to use with them.  I didn't think the trade off was worth it, so I went with good old lead-acid.  

View Quote

LiFePO Batteries have come way down in price
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:06:07 AM EDT
[#39]
I went through two sets of Trojan lead-acid batteries in my EZ Go until I finally had enough. I got the lithium upgrade. Seems like a good choice at this point.

Basically it worked out to the cost 2x as much, but last at least 2x as long with no maintenance, no water, no dangerous acid, higher performance and way less weight. Seemed like a solid deal.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:33:49 AM EDT
[#40]
I don't have to leave my lead acid cart plugged in. Even the one time my charger broke for a month it still had 75% range left. I only check the water level about once a year. I don't use it but maybe weekly to drive to the tennis courts or pool. About 1/2 mile round trip.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:44:06 AM EDT
[#41]

View Quote

Your kids drive over 30 miles in a day in a golf cart?  That is impressive and not the norm.  What brand and batteries do you have?
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:20:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SERVED_USMC] [#42]
Thanks for the info so far fellas.

I got lucky. I cleaned the corrosion of the battery posts when I got it home and found that the power cable for the charger had corroded through at the connector on the post. So there was zero charge getting to the batteries hence why he assumed the batteries were shot. I left it on the charger all night and the batteries took a full charge.

I drove it a few miles around the lake multiple times and it is still holding a charge! I’ll still be replacing the batteries but it looks like I have some time to research what I want to go with.

I feel like I stole it for the price now.

ETA: This thing does about 26-27mph. It’s gonna really rip if I  go lithium.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:29:26 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By SERVED_USMC:
Thanks for the info so far fellas.

I got lucky. I cleaned the corrosion of the battery posts when I got it home and found that the power cable for the charger had corroded through at the connector on the post. So there was zero charge getting to the batteries hence why he assumed the batteries were shot. I left it on the charger all night and the batteries took a full charge.

I drove it a few miles around the lake multiple times and it is still holding a charge! I’ll still be replacing the batteries but it looks like I have some time to research what I want to go with.

I feel like I stole it for the price now.

ETA: This thing does about 26-27mph. It’s gonna really rip if I  go lithium.
View Quote

I saw a video where a guy bought a BMW I3 with the REX for a lot cheaper than it was worth because it wasn't running on the battery. The guy drove to check it out, brought a friend and a trailer just in case. Made the deal with the guy, double checked "are you SURE you want to let it for for this price?" and the guy agreed. Signed the paperwork and it was done.

Then the buyer got into it, removed a couple covers and cleaned some corrosion off of a connector, and BAM. The damn thing worked perfectly fine after that. The seller was a bit surprised but didn't fuss. Buyer loaded it up on the trailer and had a functional car for about half of its value.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:44:10 AM EDT
[#44]

Your kids drive over 30 miles in a day in a golf cart?  That is impressive and not the norm.  What brand and batteries do you have?
View All Quotes

Duracell, and yes lithium would be a excellent upgrade. Kids and grand kids have it going from sun up to sun down here. They run around the ranch and around town, it gets more use than the side by sides.  I think for a GP cart in my situation gas is better as it can sit for mo this and still be ready at a moments notice and go all day. I also don’t have to make sure it’s plugged in at night and if it does stop it’s a flat or needs gas, not a tow home.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:46:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: networkguru] [#45]
natural gas engine with a Phill ?

Honda Civic GX Natural Gas with Phill the home refueling at the 2006 Los Angeles Auto show LAAS
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:49:11 AM EDT
[#46]
I've managed multiple golf cart fleets in country clubs.....Lithium; no question about it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:54:40 AM EDT
[#47]
I don't think any of these rednecks around here have anything aside from ....shade tree two strokes
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:54:48 AM EDT
[#48]
Ive had nothing but fucking headaches and problems with lithium batteries in an industrial environment. In both cases of lithium "upgrades" (over $30k) we scrapped the problematic lithium crap and went back to troublefree operation with lead acid batteries.

Also worth noting... lead acid batteries wont go into runaway meltdown mode and burn your fucking house down.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:56:17 AM EDT
[#49]
EV THREAD!
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:09:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By clubmanager1:
I've managed multiple golf cart fleets in country clubs.....Lithium; no question about it.
View Quote

@clubmanager1

36v or 48v carts? How many batteries in each setup? Some people in this thread have mentioned going with one 48v and I’ve read other things saying 6 8V setup is the way to go.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top