Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/2/2024 1:17:28 PM EDT
So I mostly run carbide, and have a good vendor there, but where do you guys get your HSS cutters?

Im trying to find some decent ones without the McMaster markup.

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 1:19:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mudholestomper] [#1]
mscdirect.com

Accupro/Hertel are house brands manufactured by the big names.

Widia is Kennametal’s budget line.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 5:16:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Travers?
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 11:01:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I buy all my HSS round tools in surplus/auction lots on the internet.  
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 11:09:31 PM EDT
[#4]
KBC tools

just buy the house brand cutters that you need if you want common HSS end mills.

https://www.kbctools.com/
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:23:52 AM EDT
[#5]
We use MSC at work. But....it's not my money either.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 5:25:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: brownbomber] [#6]
Lakeshore Carbide

Edit:  derp.  Reading skills are lackluster.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 5:44:49 PM EDT
[#7]
SHARS has been OK for me.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:56:12 AM EDT
[#8]
But...why?

Speed Tiger is taiwan stuff on amazon for unbelieveable prices. If you want cutters for AL, they have a high helix , highly polished flute that is very impressive. I have been very happy with their mills in both price and performance.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:15:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: notso] [#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Ridgerunner9876:
But...why?

Speed Tiger is taiwan stuff on amazon for unbelieveable prices. If you want cutters for AL, they have a high helix , highly polished flute that is very impressive. I have been very happy with their mills in both price and performance.
View Quote

Honestly, Ive had a bug in the back of my head of what if I couldnt just hop online and order some more carbides and expect them to show up.

I figure getting some practice with HSS and looking at the ability to sharpen them is a lot more sustainable than being my normal clumsy self and scrapping a carbide when I bust all the teeth off it

ETA- Still gonna use carbide most of the time, just want to expand my horizons.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:17:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By brownbomber:
Lakeshore Carbide
View Quote

Thats where I get all my carbides. I have had great experiences with their cutters.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:39:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By notso:

Honestly, Ive had a bug in the back of my head of what if I couldnt just hop online and order some more carbides and expect them to show up.

I figure getting some practice with HSS and looking at the ability to sharpen them is a lot more sustainable than being my normal clumsy self and scrapping a carbide when I bust all the teeth off it

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By notso:
Originally Posted By Ridgerunner9876:
But...why?

I just threw a bunch of HSS mills out. Some still sharp enough to use. They sat there for 20 years and I got tired of them taking up space. If I have more, I'll get your address and send them your way.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top