Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/6/2024 8:53:49 PM EDT
The church that my parents go to has started a series of sermons that deal with politics and religion. I was raised in this church long ago but currently I attend a different church.

When my mom told me about this upcoming series I was somewhat interested to see how the pastor was going to approach this topic.

After watching as far as I could tolerate into the first two sermons it's about what I expected. Watered down and not wanting to offend anyone.

Just curious if anyone else's church has tried to tackle this topic from the pulpit?
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:31:22 PM EDT
[#1]
It depends on what you consider to be a political topic. Can you give an example of what was discussed?
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:45:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Our pastor randomly throws things in. Using God's original design of family unit. One man one woman. Then saying that should be obvious but in today's world it has to be stated.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:52:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By cb69:
Our pastor randomly throws things in. Using God's original design of family unit. One man one woman. Then saying that should be obvious but in today's world it has to be stated.
View Quote

Pretty much the same, explains how God appoints our rulers whether they are good or bad and how we have to love or enemies and pray for their salvation.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:37:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By tspike:

Pretty much the same, explains how God appoints our rulers whether they are good or bad and how we have to love or enemies and pray for their salvation.
View Quote

That's as close as my prior pastor would come.  Pray for the then-current president by name, "and all our elected leaders." Being Methodist, we never got the "One man/one woman" talk.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:11:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Tech-Com] [#5]
Christ disarmed the Kings/Kingdoms of this world putting such things to shame. David's Kingdom was cut down to a stump so that the Kingdom of Christ which is unseen can have all the glory. Now your eyes should be fixed upon the unseen things and spiritual growth. Your pastor should not make a practice of leaving the word, especially if it motivates us to embrace the rivalries, divisions, and factions that are defined as opposing the spirit.

(1 Corinthians 4:6)
Brothers, I have applied these things to myself and Apollos for your benefit, so that you may learn from us not to go beyond what is written.

"The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity, and debauchery; idolatry and sorcery; hatred, discord, jealousy, and rage; RIVALRIES, DIVISIONS, FACTIONS, and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God."

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:00:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By cb69:
View Quote

Similar here.

There was a pastor at a large church in Houston last year that did a whole series called "Awake, not woke", Ed Young maybe. I haven't listened to it but keep intending to
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:19:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By TXBBQGuy:

Similar here.

There was a pastor at a large church in Houston last year that did a whole series called "Awake, not woke", Ed Young maybe. I haven't listened to it but keep intending to
View Quote
Ed Young is based in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, but they (Fellowship Church) did a series around that theme.

I had a pastor back in the GWB era talk about "respecting" those elected to office. Politics from the pulpit is a fine line, as churches can lose their non-profit status.

Talking about the issues is how you get around the "politics" of it. The church we went to in WA before we moved was suing the state on the requirement to offer health insurance that pays for abortions.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:02:52 PM EDT
[#8]
We are reminded and encouraged every year as caucuses and elections come around to study out the issues and actively participate in the electoral process. More recently, we had this talk given in one of our semi-annual churchwide conferences:

"We should never assert that a faithful Latter-day Saint cannot belong to a particular party or vote for a particular candidate," he said. "There are many political issues, and no party, platform or individual candidate can satisfy all personal preferences."

Members should instead "seek inspiration" on how to cast their vote according to their individual priorities, he said   a process that could even require changing party support or candidate choices from election to election.

"Such independent actions will sometimes require voters to support candidates or political parties or platforms whose other positions they cannot approve," he added. "That is one reason we encourage our members to refrain from judging one another in political matters."
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:09:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top