Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/7/2024 1:04:13 PM EDT
All right, so a little background have cable Internet service 650 mb down 15 mb up. Consists of a cable modem provided by the cable company which is connected via cat5e cable to a Deco M4R. The m4r then has a cat5e cable connected to a 16port gig switch.

Anything plugged into the switch is capable of 500+ Mb. There are two more M4 units in the house that are connected wirelessly. They do not have ethernet back halls given the topography of the house.

I am using these units because in one room I have a commercial grade printer which does not offer wireless capability so it is fed from one of the M4 units.

House has a variety of TVs and other wireless devices connected. Wireless speeds vary from between 100 to 200 MB at best with nothing else other than the Speedtest running in the house.

I have tried setting up QOS services on the router, but that did not seem to have any noticeable difference.

I’ve tried surfing Reddit and other forums, but I can’t seem to be making any headway on getting decent speeds. If it is a matter of needing different hardware, I’m open to suggestions. The only thing that is a requirement like I said is one of the wireless mesh units must have ethernet port to hook up my printer. I think the TP Link units firmware is pretty crappy and very consumer grade. I am on the latest version of firmware.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:40:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Upgrading all my cables to cat 8 made a HUGE difference in my house.

This was after we upgraded to fiber (1 gig up & down).

Not sure if that will help you.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 3:23:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm not clear on your issue being wireless only or wired too.  I'm thinking you mean wireless only.  Which would mean looking at your APs and possibly upgrading them.  Not to be to pedantic, but you changed up mb, Mb and MB in your OP so it is not clear which you are actually using as your unit of measure.

If you have a device that can run iperf then I would test with it both wired and wireless.  It will give you a breakdown of the actual speed between the iperf server (normally installed on a wired machine) and the clients.  This will help you get a consistent measurement of speed as you try different areas of your house and different network segments. Since iperf is internal in your network, it lets you know if there is a problem on the inside before trying to figure out if there is a speed problem getting outside.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 3:53:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By turtle2472:
I'm not clear on your issue being wireless only or wired too.  I'm thinking you mean wireless only.  Which would mean looking at your APs and possibly upgrading them.  Not to be to pedantic, but you changed up mb, Mb and MB in your OP so it is not clear which you are actually using as your unit of measure.

If you have a device that can run iperf then I would test with it both wired and wireless.  It will give you a breakdown of the actual speed between the iperf server (normally installed on a wired machine) and the clients.  This will help you get a consistent measurement of speed as you try different areas of your house and different network segments. Since iperf is internal in your network, it lets you know if there is a problem on the inside before trying to figure out if there is a speed problem getting outside.
View Quote

Sorry, voice to text and I didn’t proofread very well. Yes my issue is mainly on wireless only that I am experiencing poor speed. I could live with the wired speed being 50 MB less than what I’m paying for.

On average, the wireless speed is very poor, for instance, this morning I ran a Speedtest from my iPad, connected wirelessly and got 8MB download speed. I went to a hardwired computer and obtained 540 MB speed connecting to the same speed test server.

Now most of the time wireless is averaging in the 140MB which I think is unacceptable

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:25:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By chrishag:

Sorry, voice to text and I didn’t proofread very well. Yes my issue is mainly on wireless only that I am experiencing poor speed. I could live with the wired speed being 50 MB less than what I’m paying for.

On average, the wireless speed is very poor, for instance, this morning I ran a Speedtest from my iPad, connected wirelessly and got 8MB download speed. I went to a hardwired computer and obtained 540 MB speed connecting to the same speed test server.

Now most of the time wireless is averaging in the 140MB which I think is unacceptable

View Quote

Thanks for clarifying.  So, not to be too pedantic on this but, you don't have 540MB as your fastest wired connection.  You have 540Mb I'm sure which is 67.5MB. Megabit vs Megabyte.  I'm going to assume megabit going forward.

So the question is now what kind of wireless cards are in your devices that have the slow speeds.  Your mesh router is only 802.11ac (at best) which can get the speeds you're after, but not likely in real world.  So the specs say, AC1200, 5 GHz: 867 Mbps (802.11ac),2.4 GHz: 300 Mbps (802.11n).  If I were to guess, your devices are dropping to the 2.4GHz bands and then add normal real world interference in there and you have horrible speeds.  If your devices aren't 802.11ac then you're likely still operating at 2.4GHz too.

You can likely see what channel you're on with your router configuration manager.  If you're in the 2.4GHz range, that is the problem.  If not, then it is just an interference problem.  If you're on a child mesh node with wireless back haul, then that compounds the problem.

The best real solution to the speed problem is newer APs and wire connect the APs vs using wireless back haul.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:16:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Your mesh router is only 802.11ac (at best) which can get the speeds you're after, but not likely in real world.  So the specs say, AC1200, 5 GHz: 867 Mbps (802.11ac)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Your mesh router is only 802.11ac (at best) which can get the speeds you're after, but not likely in real world.  So the specs say, AC1200, 5 GHz: 867 Mbps (802.11ac)

Those speeds on the spec sheet are physical rate, and in the real world assuming near perfect conditions, you can roughly cut that in half for actual useful traffic over the link.  Cut it in half again for it being a mesh network.  Finally, cut it in half a third time for a real world RF environment.

The best real solution to the speed problem is newer APs and wire connect the APs vs using wireless back haul.

This is by far the best option if you can do the work yourself.  Run wires to the APs, then set them to run in separate non-overlapping 5ghz channels.  For non-DFS, that means you get 2x 80mhz wide, and one 40mhz, so pick which one of the APs you want to have less bandwidth and give it the 40mhz.

Otherwise, upgrade to a tri-band wifi6e 6 Ghz mesh system and set it up to use 6 Ghz for backhaul, and 5 Ghz for client devices.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top