Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2024 1:32:02 AM EDT
This would be for a Stribog for close quarter range. Any better options for the price than the SureFire XVL2-IRC? As I understand it, the illuminator on the XVL2-IRC isn’t great for long range, I would only need it for shorter range distances.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:45:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Sean124] [#1]
I think the Streamlight VIR II is perfectly acceptable for a PCC and much less expensive.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:48:41 AM EDT
[#2]
I've been using a CQBL-1 with an M300V mounted to it for PCC use.  A pressure switch that activates both at the same time is required for this.

The mount is made by Unity but has been discontinued.  I believe Echo Arms makes something similar now.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:05:44 AM EDT
[#3]
My Olight IR laser is over the top powerful and a crazy good deal for the price.

No illuminator though
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:10:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GrinningDag] [#4]
From what I heard the XVL2 has more of a flood affect lighting up a whole room easily but it is short range.

The TLR-VIR II has a higher reach. The only downside is you can only have the infrared light and laser on at the same time. They can't be laser only or infrared LED only. Also no tapeswitch.

Holosun also makes a more advance version of the TLR-VIR II called the P.ID. It's Holosun though so you never know what kind of quality to expect.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:18:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Tlr VIR 2 is a great close quarters ir device. It's the smallest package and can be set to ir laser+illum, vis light, or off.

This guy concocted some sort of rear battery housing to use a pressure pad but those aren't available commercially i don't think.

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:20:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Scoobysmak] [#6]
I just wish I could get the Mil/police version of the XVL2
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:21:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Daggertt] [#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GrinningDag:
From what I heard the XVL2 has more of a flood affect lighting up a whole room easily but it is short range.

The TLR-VIR II has a higher reach. The only downside is you can only have the infrared light and laser on at the same time. They can't be laser only or infrared LED only. Also no tapeswitch.

Holosun also makes a more advance version of the TLR-VIR II called the P.ID. It's Holosun though so you never know what kind of quality to expect.
View Quote
I would be shocked if the vir 2 had better reach than any competitor. The ir illuminator is basically all spill with very little throw.

The surefire 400v has a nice, tight beam pattern that reaches out much further than the vir2. But the laser is external from the light housing, making it a lot more bulky.

Also from what I've seen, the holosun PID doesn't have an ir illuminator so it's not much of a comparison.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:11:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the replies.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:27:48 AM EDT
[#9]
In my (limited) experience with IR lights and lasers at close range I have found that is that it's very easy to have too much power to the point that it is counterproductive.

I am going to try adding some filters or diffusers to the front of my non-adjustable units to see how that goes for close range stuff.

When searching a building interior I've found that bouncing the IR beam off the ceiling is better than pointing it directly at what you are looking for. Obviously if you are worried about someone else finding you with their nods then that's not ideal.

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:47:14 AM EDT
[#10]
As others have said the tlr-virii. Best at 12 o'clock so a down pull on the left toggle is spring loaded momentary but it's usable at other orientations. They're way more durable than they appear to be.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:57:59 AM EDT
[#11]
You can focus the TLRVIRII with this if you want to spend the extra cash. Plenty of videos on youtube to see how it looks.

https://darqindustries.com/collections/laser-aiming-devices/products/tlr-vir-ii-efl
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:59:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: glklvr] [#12]
Originally Posted By spork:
I've been using a CQBL-1 with an M300V
mounted to it for PCC use.  A pressure switch that activates both at the same time is required for this.
View Quote

Same for me but dual switches.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:02:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ridgerunner9876] [#13]
Originally Posted By Sean124:
I think the Streamlight VIR II is perfectly acceptable for a PCC and much less expensive.
View Quote

I have the one that is all IR, not sure if that is the model designation.

It does a good job. You can switch from laser to light or both. Edit. Iirc. I'll have to dig it out and see. I remember a 3 position switch.

They aren't cheap, when you can find them. I lucked into one on ebay for like 225.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:09:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AbsoluteLemur] [#14]
I just use a DBAL A3 (not FP) along with an M300V on mine (10.5" barrel in 5.56).

M300V + IR laser only on low setting for interior/CQB, IR laser + illuminator on high setting for longer range targets, visible green laser + white light setting on M300V for use without NODs.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:14:19 AM EDT
[#15]
I've been using a CQBL-1 with an M300V mounted to it for PCC use.  A pressure switch that activates both at the same time is required for this.

The mount is made by Unity but has been discontinued.  I believe Echo Arms makes something similar now.
View Quote

I used to have this exact setup.

This is the ECHO Arms mount, works well.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:25:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Ridgerunner9876:

I have the one that is all IR, not sure if that is the model designation.

It does a good job. You can switch from laser to light or both. Edit. Iirc. I'll have to dig it out and see. I remember a 3 position switch.

They aren't cheap, when you can find them. I lucked into one on ebay for like 225.
View Quote

Yours is probably the tlr2 eyesafe. Have a couple i got off ebay for cheap probably from the same seller. They're a lot more powerful than the tlr-virii and will accept the streamlight remote switches. Biggest downside to these imo is the lack of an off position like the tlr-virii.

Wish someone would make a focus lense for them, but not having been that popular, it's unlikely. Seems like focused they have the power to punch out to a couple hundred yards. One of mine has a busted illuminator, but having been discontinued, idk if streamlight can fix it.

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:36:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:43:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Here’s what I’ve tried on PCCs/PDWs

CQBL/M300V is expensive, bulky, requires tape switches and more rail real estate.  But better illum both white/ir than other options and can be zero’d with vis laser.  

TLRVIR2 is cheaper, takes minimum rail space, does not require tape switches.  No vis laser means you have to zero under NV which is a bit of a pain.  Ir illum is super floody, but there is an aftermarket solution to make it better.  

XVL2 is an expensive option but has lots of nice features.  Also floody IR illum and white light is meh (also true of the TLR ViR white light).

If you like money more than you hate China, RovyVon makes a XVL2 knock ofdcalled the GL4pro.  Havent really gotten to test mine much yet but initial impression is positive.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:43:56 AM EDT
[#19]

You tried one? That looks pretty slick.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:54:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NCPatrolAR] [#20]
For something like the Stribog Id go with a X400V (at 12 oclock) and an optic on a high mount. A close 2nd would be the VIR-II and while the focus bezel helps some.....it still isnt great.   I'm currently using a Viridian HS-1 on my AP-5 and it is doing well. I need to add a Vampire head to my scout light but havent gotten around to it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:04:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Borscht] [#21]
Vir ii is flood-y stock, good for rooms and pistol distances and the villian(?) illuminator focus thing allows you to put a hot spot out to 100yards, but makes it a little tougher to pick out the laser in the illum. I need some more night time shooting with it.

I think it would be a good choice for a pdw. Couple pics:Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

eta: this was posted in the NV forum a little bit ago. No idea if it's good, but I added it to my Amazon list.

https://a.co/d/coyJX6R  $80

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:06:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Scoobysmak:
I just wish I could get the Mil/police version of the XVL2
View Quote

Use code ALLTHELUMENS
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:09:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By 74novaman:

CQBL/M300V is expensive, bulky, requires tape switches and more rail real estate.  But better illum both white/ir than other options and can be zero’d with vis laser.  

TLRVIR2 is cheaper, takes minimum rail space, does not require tape switches.  No vis laser means you have to zero under NV which is a bit of a pain.  Ir illum is super floody, but there is an aftermarket solution to make it better.  

XVL2 is an expensive option but has lots of nice features.  Also floody IR illum and white light is meh (also true of the TLR ViR white light).

If you like money more than you hate China, RovyVon makes a XVL2 knock ofdcalled the GL4pro.  Havent really gotten to test mine much yet but initial impression is positive.
View Quote

Zero your red dot live fire. Stack your laser on your red dot under nods. Done. I've never zeroed IR live fire.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:18:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By iwouldntknow:

Zero your red dot live fire. Stack your laser on your red dot under nods. Done. I've never zeroed IR live fire.
View Quote

Do you use Infinity merging zero or at a set distance?
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:31:34 AM EDT
[#25]

Do you use Infinity merging zero or at a set distance?
View Quote

Rifle around 500. Pistol I think 50
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:46:10 AM EDT
[#26]

View Quote

Yes to all of this.

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:49:11 AM EDT
[#27]

Soloscud on IG gave these pretty good reviews.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:53:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lilMAC25] [#28]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

For the Zero under NODs….. just converge your IR laser with your RDS at the furthest point you can find (a distant treeline or whatever. Works great.

Originally Posted By iwouldntknow:

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:55:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Where are y’all buying the Rovyvon GL4 Pro 4 from? Direct from manufacturer?
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:03:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lilMAC25] [#30]
https://thehebrewhammer.net/2024/04/03/rovyvon-gl4-pro-review/

I used a T.REX Arms XVL2 holster for both pistols. The fit was a bit tight, I assume due to the lever, but it was fine otherwise. After testing the fit, I spent about five minutes with a heat gun to reshape the part of the holster that the reflector fits into, and this got me an even better fit. This was a pretty cheap and easy way to get going with this optic.
View Quote

https://www.vf1systems.com/post/review-rovyvon-gl4-pro-the-xvl2-clone
This is Nick Chen (Soloscud) I believe.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:09:16 AM EDT
[#31]

I use a 300V and a Steiner Tor mini.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:09:22 AM EDT
[#32]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By lilMAC25:

I used a T.REX Arms XVL2 holster for both pistols. The fit was a bit tight, I assume due to the lever, but it was fine otherwise. After testing the fit, I spent about five minutes with a heat gun to reshape the part of the holster that the reflector fits into, and this got me an even better fit. This was a pretty cheap and easy way to get going with this optic.

They have 2 newer units that have more power.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:14:23 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:16:27 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By thesilvercord:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/327183/IMG_3238_jpeg-3200268.JPG
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By lilMAC25:

Nice, but the price starts creeping up.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:22:09 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By GreenMushroom:

Yours is probably the tlr2 eyesafe. Have a couple i got off ebay for cheap probably from the same seller. They're a lot more powerful than the tlr-virii and will accept the streamlight remote switches. Biggest downside to these imo is the lack of an off position like the tlr-virii.

Wish someone would make a focus lense for them, but not having been that popular, it's unlikely. Seems like focused they have the power to punch out to a couple hundred yards. One of mine has a busted illuminator, but having been discontinued, idk if streamlight can fix it.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/519824/20221007_103446-2653060.jpg
View Quote

Just checked. Yep, eyesafe.

Sorry for the confusion.

I was gonna get a flip lens cover for it but kind of decided to move away from emissions since everybody and their brother has some NV capability.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:27:46 AM EDT
[#36]
I run a TLR VIR II on my P226 MK25.  I got the Sig over a Glock so I can crank it down.  I didn't think a Glock would hold zero with a laser.  

The white light is fine for pistol distances.  The IR illuminator is nice, very broad and the right brightness.  You don't actually want enormous IR illum at pistol distances because you might auto-gate your NV.  The IR laser is adjustable.  

The one thing I don't like is the screw.  Mine broke from overtightening, but it was also coming loose from undertightening.  There seemed to be no middle ground.  So after the screw snapped I replaced it with a 2-56 screw and nut with washers and a dab of superglue on the nut.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:10:00 PM EDT
[#37]
I have TLR 2 on a couple guns, one rifle and one handgun.  No regerts.  Would buy again.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:13:04 PM EDT
[#38]
I have a NIB VIRii if anyone's nterested.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:43:28 PM EDT
[#39]

I saw the picture first snd thought this was a Rovyvon thread
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:18:10 PM EDT
[#40]

View Quote
That's really cool. I didn't know such an option existed.

It looks like the basic model is $300, the XL is $500, and the FP is $800.

My only gripe is that as the power levels increase, the laser pointer also gets more powerful and it doesn't seem like there's an option to select a lower power mode.

Give me the FP illuminator with a 0.7 pointer.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top