BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 4:54:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RTX:

Hey, I don't make rash decisions. I'm admittedly still a bit intimidated by the idea of owning such a scary weapon of war.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AbleArcher:
This is a very valuable thread for a person like me who came to this site to explore the idea of buying a military style assault rifle of my own.

Did you make a decision in the 8 years of exploration?

Hey, I don't make rash decisions. I'm admittedly still a bit intimidated by the idea of owning such a scary weapon of war.

That's fair. I wish you the best of luck deciphering the wisdom of the sages of ARFCOM.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 5:33:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HDSledge] [#2]
I have a couple uppers with rds but I grew up with irons and have a couple uppers with only irons.  A peep clears things up for my imperfect vision due to some optical effect I can't recall the details of and I get better results than with the rds.  Ingrained after years of nothing but irons I suppose.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 5:34:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: southerncross] [#3]
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 5:38:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By PacNW5:

For condensate on the lens exterior, have you thought about using Cat Crap?  
We're from the Washington area and I used it all the time since you could be moving from a dry to humid environment very quickly.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By PacNW5:
Originally Posted By SpacemanSpiff:

I'm not talking about larping for a few hours.

I'm talking about living in the mountains in northern Maine through the winter, hiking, cutting trees, hauling firewood, breaking trail, etc etc.

Keeping an optic on all the time isn't worth the hassle for me. Half the time the lens is full of ice or mud or sawdust and even irons have issues with shit getting in them, it's just they are more likely to stay usable.

I'm not interested in worrying if my lens covers are on or if I need to clean my lenses again. I want a rifle I can sling up and go in and out of the house or truck or ATV and not have to worry if the lens is going to frost over with condensate or get covered in crap when it's -15 and snow and ice is blowing off of every tree.

For condensate on the lens exterior, have you thought about using Cat Crap?  
We're from the Washington area and I used it all the time since you could be moving from a dry to humid environment very quickly.

I haven't tried it, but its not a bad idea, thanks for the tip!

The wet season is a totally different set of challenges with all the mud and melt water.

The last two years the amount of rain we have had has been incredible. Our road has washed out three times and the flooding in the surrounding areas has been of historic proportions.

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 5:48:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Even with my eyes I can make iron sights work.  Of course dots, or LPVO are better than irons, but I sure as hell wouldn't want someone who has my ability to work iron sights shooting at me.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 6:20:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By RustedAce:
Eww no.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 6:24:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Glck1911] [#7]
Irons are fun and sure they are plenty effective.

They make shooting at things in the dark difficult, so optics are superior.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 6:44:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HDSledge] [#8]
Originally Posted By Genin:
Even with my eyes I can make iron sights work.  Of course dots, or LPVO are better than irons, but I sure as hell wouldn't want someone who has my ability to work iron sights shooting at me.
View Quote

Amen to that.  I could nail a squirrel head shot at 25 yards when I was 10 years old.  With a Benjamin pellet gun no less.  Reminds me I need to get a set of low profile irons for an upper that came in yesterday.
These are on another upper, may get another set.  The needle post makes a perfect spot for a fluorescent fly tying bead.  That thing lights up even under low light, makes it easy to aquire through the rear peep.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:55:24 PM EDT
[#9]
I run an Iron sighted patrol rifle during the summer months. The Texas gulf coast humidity is brutal. Optics tend to fog up immediately upon exiting a patrol vehicle with AC. The iron sights don't fog up. Rest of the time I run optics. Gonna be interesting to see how my glock with holosun fares as well. Anti fog stuff does not really seem to help.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:03:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By cwm1150:
I run an Iron sighted patrol rifle during the summer months. The Texas gulf coast humidity is brutal. Optics tend to fog up immediately upon exiting a patrol vehicle with AC. The iron sights don't fog up. Rest of the time I run optics. Gonna be interesting to see how my glock with holosun fares as well. Anti fog stuff does not really seem to help.
View Quote

I can see that as a problem for OWB going in and out of A/C. That's not a problem with concealed, though. Body heat and moisture prevents it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:07:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Glck1911:
Irons are fun and sure they are plenty effective.

They make shooting at things in the dark difficult, so optics are superior.
View Quote

That's what the light is for.

Or if it's bad guys the PVS-14 and IR laser.

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:12:30 PM EDT
[#12]
I really need to get some more optical sights. Every time I want to get a quality one, some other milsurp or old gun comes along. I am reasonably proficient with irons, but I am aware it's a huge detriment and in low light would be very ineffective.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:13:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Good optics are about so much more than hitting targets at the range.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:20:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:20:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By TaskForce:
View Quote

Looking good is good optics at the range.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:21:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By 11boomboom:

Looking good is good optics at the range.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:22:22 PM EDT
[#17]
My primary carbine has an ACOG - but I feel well armed with irons. If your eyes are GTG, irons are GTG. Especially 20 inch goodness:

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:30:07 PM EDT
[#18]
in general no... but special purposes like truck gun where battery life might be an issue ..
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:32:46 PM EDT
[#19]
If my old eyes hadn't betrayed me years ago, I would probably have at least one iron-sighted AR.

Sadly, decent optics are not given away.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:34:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Is anyone still running just iron sights as their primary sighting system on a modern AR in 2024?
View Quote

😎
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:35:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Redbirdxx:

Pretty much this, but I'd be an optic guy at this point either way. Too many advantages at any distance to ignore.

You might be surprised at the abuse a quality optic will tolerate.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Redbirdxx:
Originally Posted By ED_P:
My older eyes do much better with optics vs iron sights these days, so I'm forced into the optics camp.

Pretty much this, but I'd be an optic guy at this point either way. Too many advantages at any distance to ignore.

Originally Posted By Lungbuster:
My truck/SxS AR is irons. An optic wouldn’t survive the abuse.

You might be surprised at the abuse a quality optic will tolerate.

More than a relatively fragile FSP. I’ve seen more bent front sight posts than broken Aimpoints.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:47:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By 1245xx:

@southerncross

What kind of attachment do you use for the fixed carry handle?  My carry handle rifle is the only one I don't have an aim point or acog on.  I'm not quite sure how to attach one.
View Quote
Older model ACOGs were designed to fit on the carry handle.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:57:00 PM EDT
[#23]
My fastest rifle is a 20” A1 ish AR with TFO front post and dim tritium rear peep. Just six pounds with pellet rifle recoil. Have an AK with T1 on a scalar, AUG wit an ACOG and piggyback RMR. Like the Hi Vis fiber optic front post as well.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:05:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Karankawa:
My fastest rifle is a 20” A1 ish AR with TFO front post and dim tritium rear peep. Just six pounds with pellet rifle recoil. Have an AK with T1 on a scalar, AUG wit an ACOG and piggyback RMR. Like the Hi Vis fiber optic front post as well.
View Quote

You can put in work with a rifle like that.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:16:46 PM EDT
[#25]
I have an aimpoint comp and a cheap PA LPVO and prefer the carry handle sights, but i have never tried something really nice.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:53:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By 03RN:

Except for NH yeah. You actually did learn that Maine is the second snowiest state. I wouldn't say the hardest winters though. Just the snowiest.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/433221/1000000819_jpg-3212571.JPG
View All Quotes
I am learning that Maine winters are much harder than anywhere else in this thread.

Except for NH yeah. You actually did learn that Maine is the second snowiest state. I wouldn't say the hardest winters though. Just the snowiest.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/433221/1000000819_jpg-3212571.JPG

The problem with that is Michigan's Lower Peninsula is lowering the average significantly.

The UP gets absolutely dumped on, and averages much more snowfall. Marquette averaged 141 inches of snowfall per year, and was the fifth snowiest city in the United States large enough to be reported.

https://glisa.umich.edu/media/files/MarquetteMI_Climatology.pdf

I've never had an issue with a scope or a red dot while hunting, and I've killed plenty of deer and coyote in the middle of a blizzard with an Aimpoint Pro-equipped AR.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:56:09 PM EDT
[#27]
I have 2 AR's with stock open sights.

a Colt HBAR
a Bushmaster carry handle carbine with a XS tritium post.

I shoot the hell out of both.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:01:44 PM EDT
[#28]

Just out of curiosity,  where are you shooting piles of pigs in driving snow?

Peep sights pose their own issues in snow as well. They are easier to clear though.
View Quote

anytime we get snow, its an automatic day off for hunting.
waterfowl, deer or pigs.

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:02:12 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm old school enough to keep zeroed BUIS on my rifles, one or two cant be used without removing the scope but it is what it is.  I like irons sometimes but even in the army irons were just something you qualified with in basic then it was m68s, acogs and m145s for the mgs.  If you're good with irons you'd still be better with optics.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:03:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By 5thLegion:
My primary carbine has an ACOG - but I feel well armed with irons. If your eyes are GTG, irons are GTG. Especially 20 inch goodness:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/112468/IMG_3298_jpeg-3212884.JPG

View Quote
I forgot about my 20"...its my extreme backup gun.  It does have irons only but i'd need like 10 other ARs to fail which seems ambitious.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:42:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Missilegeek] [#31]
All the ARs have optics. About half have backup optics for the main optic. Shamefully some still have BUIS.

The vast majority of the pistols have optics.

Shit most of the .22lr's have optics.

Even the AK has an optic.

The only things without optics are the really old designs where optics are a pain to add. I shoot them occasionally to remind myself how gross iron sights areand how bad people used to have it back in the olden times.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:47:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By TaskForce:
View Quote

Maybe if they worked in the cold and the heat.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:48:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Primary AR?  No.  Backup?  No.  Backup to a backup?  Still no.  Backup to the backup to the backup?  Yes.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:50:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:52:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Jason280:
Primary AR?  No.  Backup?  No.  Backup to a backup?  Still no.  Backup to the backup to the backup?  Yes.
View Quote

This is why Ping Ping invented the $120 Sig Romeo 5.

Well for that and .22lr.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:54:33 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By TOTHEMAX:
No.  Why when red dots are so reliable and so much better.
View Quote

Red dots replaced BUIS, and added more functionality while doing it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:00:12 AM EDT
[#37]
Irons with a Blitzkrieg spike work pretty well for close ranges. Like a red dot is better, but I'd say it's the next best thing.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:00:18 AM EDT
[#38]

View All Quotes

How so? Can you dial elevation on the fly to make longer shots?

Unless we're talking an ACSS/BDC/etc. reticle, RDS do not add more functionality; in my opinion. Irons are much more functional over a broader range of engagement, thanks to having the ability to quickly make elevation and windage adjustments. With most RDS, you're using holdovers and Kentucky windage.

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:04:31 AM EDT
[#39]
Most of mine have irons. I have one competition AR with a Leupold VX3 1-4 on it, and a DPMS flat top upper sitting in the safe. Glass is fun, but long range irons is a fun challenge.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:11:03 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Square66:
Can’t see like I used to so optics it is.  It’s a bummer because I really enjoyed shooting irons.  Now it’s just frustrating even though I still give it my best.  

Even my retro A1 build has an optic now.  If you really want a mind screw try out an Armson OEG.  Believe it or not they are still being made.  I don’t really recommend it as a serious choice today, but it is period correct and what was available back then.  
View Quote

They take getting used to, but they're awesome at kissing distance.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:19:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AK-12] [#41]
Originally Posted By Muad:

Unless we're talking an ACSS/BDC/etc. reticle, RDS do not add more functionality; in my opinion. Irons are much more functional over a broader range of engagement, thanks to having the ability to quickly make elevation and windage adjustments. With most RDS, you're using holdovers and Kentucky windage.

View Quote

TBF most irons don't have that functionality either
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:07:41 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By AK-12:

View All Quotes

Maybe most BUIS that are sold (think cheap Magpuls, etc.). They do offer windage, just not elevation.

I personally don't run any Irons/BUIS that that don't have elevation adjustment - save a single set of DD BUIS on an AR pistol - which is not intended for much beyond 50 yards.

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:23:27 AM EDT
[#43]

View All Quotes

I didn't realize dialing elevation was something people were doing with back up sights.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:24:22 AM EDT
[#44]
Although to be fair I'm doing other stuff with my backup sight too.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:02:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AK-12] [#45]

Maybe most BUIS that are sold (think cheap Magpuls, etc.). They do offer windage, just not elevation.

I personally don't run any Irons/BUIS that that don't have elevation adjustment - save a single set of DD BUIS on an AR pistol - which is not intended for much beyond 50 yards.

View Quote

Aside from the Magpul MBUS Pro with the range dial and A2/A2 based rears I'm not aware of any others. My fixed Scalarworks and DD rears don't.

ETA: forgot Matech and some KAC
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:04:28 AM EDT
[#46]

Aside from the Magpul MBUS Pro with the range dial and A2/A2 based rears I'm not aware of any others. My fixed Scalarworks and DD rears don't.
View Quote

I used to dial range with Matech rear sights, but I haven't done it in a long time.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:13:35 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:19:58 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Ben:
I just realized I have optics that have back up iron sights,  mounted on a rifle with separate back up iron sights.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/72384/1000000473-3213276.jpg
View Quote

Swap the PEQ-2 for a tan PEQ-15 and this is pretty much what my service rifle looked like in 2018

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:24:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: -Ascent-] [#49]
Nope. I have one Carry handle AR and it still has a red dot on it.

I have back up irons on most guns but I don’t see the use for irons as a primary personally.

Lens caps work the best for the snow or heavy rain. Keep the lens’s covered until it’s time to shoot.

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:27:43 AM EDT
[#50]
Yes.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top