Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Posted: 4/27/2024 10:57:15 PM EDT
Call me a greenie or a lazy Millennial but why the fuck are we still all out mowing our lawns!?
Mowed lawns were invented by the English to demonstrate how much extra money they had!  We're not wearing powdered wigs or bleeding with leeches anymore, why mow?

It takes a couple hours out of my week for no reason.
Harms almost all wildlife, especially pollinators.
Costs money for gas, oil, parts, new mower every decade.
Does absolutely zero good aside from it looks a certain way people decided it should look.

I have a few paths at my property up north I mow (we have thorny raspberry everywhere that will grow up if we don't) but it's otherwise natural fields and it's awesome.  Wildlife everywhere, honey bees, monarch butterflies on the milkweed, etc.

For what?  I get we have to mow a ton of stuff, schools, playgrounds, ball fields, etc and that's fine because it serves a purpose.
But why can't we normalize just knocking down the lawn once or twice a year?
I've literally gotten crazy voicemails from my cranky neighbor once when we had our kid and didn't have time to mow for almost 3 weeks.  You'd have thought the house was on fire for how worked up he was about a tall lawn.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:58:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MontstrSp] [#1]
Didn't realize my neighbor had an account here.

ETA- I love the way a fresh cut lawn smells.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:59:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Attachment Attached File

Because it’s fun!
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:59:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Chida66:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/3918/IMG_3819_jpeg-3199968.JPG

Because it’s fun!
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:59:48 PM EDT
[#4]
If I don't mow my yard where is my dog supposed to do zoomies?
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:59:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Lawn supremacy.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:59:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Do you want small furry critters chewing on your soffit/facia?

Because that is how you get small furry critters chewing on your soffit/facia.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:00:40 PM EDT
[#7]
I mow mine to help keep the rodents at bay
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:00:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Cut your hair and get a job hippie.

Plus I don't fuck with tics in my AO.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:01:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By cavedog:

View Quote

My house is brick on a concrete foundation.  Chew away!
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:01:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: onthebreeze] [#10]
-Fire risk is the big one
-Rodents
-Insect infestations
-Fucking stickers and sandburrs

It is a lot harder to maintain a house if it's surrounded by 3 feet of grass and weeds. Ever heard of chiggers? Ticks?
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:01:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Because an overgrown yard looks like ass?
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:02:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Next to working with my horse, mowing the lawn was high on my list of favorite relaxations.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:02:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GDaawg] [#13]
Lawn maintenance is for the peasants. I have hired help on premises for that chore.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:03:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By onthebreeze:
-Rodents
-Insect infestations

It is a lot harder to maintain a house if it's surrounded by 3 feet of grass and weeds. Ever heard of chiggers? Ticks?
View Quote

And a clear field of fire...
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:06:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SAINTDANIEL] [#15]
I have nothing but time and money, i will keep my grass,i have acres of woods too.

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:07:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Chida66:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/3918/IMG_3819_jpeg-3199968.JPG

Because it’s fun!
View Quote

Yup....

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:08:48 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm not a religious guy, but I just got a sense of how the devout feel when someone spits in the face of their deity.  

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:09:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Agree OP.  I try to mow ever 2 weeks, max, but the wife....

Also, grass is dumb, even if it looks nice.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:10:11 PM EDT
[#19]
I mow near the house pretty often, but I bought a big enough mower to not worry about letting it get too high in the field so it only gets a mow when I feel like it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:10:19 PM EDT
[#20]
I don't mow my yard.  I pay someone else to do it.  
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:10:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Sand spurs suck as do woods fires
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:10:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By SAINTDANIEL:
I have nothing but time and money, i will keep my grass,i have acres of woods too.

https://i.postimg.cc/L4z9KZHd/20230427-153959.jpg
View Quote

Shangri-La
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:10:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Because I like having grass and I fucking want to mow it!
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:14:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Macchina:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Macchina:
Originally Posted By cavedog:

A brick roof!  That's a peach.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:17:06 PM EDT
[#25]
-Rodents
-Insect infestations

View Quote

All of this, plus I like to see the snakes in my yard before I step on them. Found a good sized copperhead a couple of hours ago.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:17:34 PM EDT
[#26]
OP isn't wrong.  Maintain around the house some sure, but to treat acres and acres like lawn is time consuming, expensive and absolutely limits species.  The acreage around my pond I keep mowed trails, but basically maintain meadows by fire, which is more funner.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:17:39 PM EDT
[#27]
OP craves 70’s bush…

Neat, is hard to beat.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:18:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: phatmax] [#28]
OP, if you don't like mowing, you must hate farming....

BTW there is more forest than there was 100 years ago

https://www.treehugger.com/more-trees-than-there-were-years-ago-its-true-4864115

Many many states also have less farmed acreage than 100 years ago, including Michigan, and it hasn't all been developed.  

https://stacker.com/business-economy/how-farming-has-changed-every-state-last-100-years

Your kvetching about lawns is just that. There is plenty of space for wildlife and bees, etc. You just really don't want to cut the grass.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:18:13 PM EDT
[#29]

View Quote

Dam,..... that's nice.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:20:10 PM EDT
[#30]
I find it very therapeutic.  For two hours I'm not answering calls, not sitting through useless, non-productive meetings, not solving problems for people who want me to do their research, and no nagging from the wife because her Honey-do list isn't getting checked off fast enough, etc. For two hours a week, I have my life to myself. I actually look forward to mowing. Sorry, complete your own therapy.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:21:53 PM EDT
[#31]
'lazy millennial' it is.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:22:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Yeah, well, you do you.

Me? I'm gonna continue to mow five acres a week on my zero-turn.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:23:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SSeric02] [#33]
-Rodents
-Insect infestations

View Quote

All of this plus snakes.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:26:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Panta_Rei:
OP isn't wrong.  Maintain around the house some sure, but to treat acres and acres like lawn is time consuming, expensive and absolutely limits species.  The acreage around my pond I keep mowed trails, but basically maintain meadows by fire, which is more funner.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:26:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Used to burn ours from time to time.

I thought it was fun, but all the adults were on high fucking alert.

Dad would get all the neighbor buddies, there'd be a couple pick ups driving around with water tanks in the beds spraying and all us kids manning shovels.

Looking back, I wonder why we didn't just graze it off.  

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:27:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By whiskerz:
Sand spurs ...
View Quote

South Carolina?
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:27:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Won't necessarily disagree with OP. I fucking despise mowing. Complete waste of time. Literally the worst homeowner task I have to do. I would rather climb up on the roof twice a week and flush out my gutters.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:27:56 PM EDT
[#38]

View Quote

Wow. That is a beautiful lawn.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:29:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Who decided on grass?

Why not some other ground cover that only gets a couple inches tall? Maybe some kind of clover?

Straight moss would be awesome, like shag carpet. Lol
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:29:43 PM EDT
[#40]
I don't enjoy cutting grass and I'm busy anyhow. But, how can anyone be so tarded and lazy to not understand the necessity to keep it cut? Remove all of your grass and put something stupid looking in it's place if you can't handle cutting it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:30:36 PM EDT
[#41]
When I am in the last hours of my life, I will not bemoan having not spent enough time at my desk at the office or mowing the lawn.  What a waste of time mowing the lawn is.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:32:07 PM EDT
[#42]
The clippings are great free mulch
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:32:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By MontstrSp:
Didn't realize my neighbor had an account here.

View Quote

Instant headache for me.

It still looks good though.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:32:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: odiedodi] [#44]
Uh...
you ever see what happens when you don't? It's not that it just looks like shit, but it also becomes a habitant for nuisance animals.

I hate grass though. If it were up to me, I'd kill most of it and largely have a rock and sand garden, with small focal areas to plant trees and bushes.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:33:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Chisum:
I find it very therapeutic.
View Quote

I do too... until it's a 100 fucking degrees outside, and I have to get up before daylight to start mowing at 0700.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:34:53 PM EDT
[#46]
I hate mowing too...

But, if I don't then what? Yard grows up and weeds take over. Year two my yard is mostly weeds with saplings and briars growing in it. I can't walk through my yard because it's so bad. I've getting rodents, snakes, ticks, and assorted insects as a result.

Within a few years the saplings take over. And while I love the woods you can't let that go for long. You then have to get out with a saw and start clearing trees or they will choke themselves out and become even more of a fire hazard.

If you want grasslands you need something to graze the land or it will grow up. And then you have herd animals you have to deal with which is great if you are a rancher. (May you always have cows around.) But the damage cattle could do to a suburban house, or goats to an asphalt roof, would make mowing the lawn seem cheap in comparison.

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:35:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cherenkov] [#47]
It is done as a symbolic and light gesture that man can maintain order over his environment to demonstrate control, order and skilled prowess to survive over the natural world that would otherwise hand you your ass if you don't take some control of it.  You maintain control of your environment to survive, farm, hunt, etc.  Your home and order of its outside neatness is a soft rehearsal of survival skills - keeping back the environment.

It is also a symbol of order and organization, much like personal grooming hair cutting shaving - also pointless?  Wax your car?

If you maintain your lawn, you are more likely to find house maintenance issues to sustain the home - Clean the gutters, fix siding, paint, sustain the home, garden and grow things for beauty pride and even small amounts of food.  The idea of lawns is also that one must clear trees to have land and the cleared land is grass bearing to prevent erosion, but not grow wild with trees and brush that holds moisture against the home that causes decay of expensive dwelling.  

Not mowing your lawn is a lefty enviro-mental issue that makes them feel better about not maintaining a home.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:37:17 PM EDT
[#48]
I hate mowing the lawn.  The day my lawnmower went tits up this past summer was one of the happiest days of my life!  

Unfortunately that means I need to buy a new mower and as much as I hate mowing, It's just something that has to be done. I've been conditioned by society.

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:37:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Only liberals have overgrown lawns. Police your lawn
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:37:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By MontstrSp:
View Quote

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top