Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:29:55 AM EDT
[#1]
People have been threshing their yard for a long time and there’s a good reason for it unless you like even more bugs, rodents, and big fucking snakes in your house.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:32:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Agreed OP

Boomers are the worst. Those stupid fucks walk around their yard with spray bottles of Round Up blasting everything in sight and poisoning the ecosystem

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:41:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Can't just let it grow my community OP. After the deadline printed on the sign they place in your yard expires, they will get it mowed and bill you.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:47:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Plant it all with corn.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:55:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Lol. Just come out and say you couldn’t get your shit started.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:56:05 AM EDT
[#6]
The city won't let me build on every square foot.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:58:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sgtlmj] [#7]
75% of our property is a 'pollinator habitat' (planted with flowers, herbs, and stuff I don't recognize) with raised beds in a few areas. The other 25% is lawn for the kids to play on.

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:14:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Mowing the lawn is when I get to tune out the family, jam out to metal, and get some exercise and vitamin D.  What's not to like?
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:17:57 AM EDT
[#9]
I don't mow the back part.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:21:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Pinetree77:
Agreed OP

Boomers are the worst. Those stupid fucks walk around their yard with spray bottles of Round Up blasting everything in sight and poisoning the ecosystem

View Quote

And give themselves cancer and gawd-knows-what in the process, I sat for 3 years and watched my neighbors who were in their 70's do that shit to themselves. They'd go out there 3 times a year and hose the whole fuckin place down with Roundup, then a couple days later they're both in the hospital literally fighting for their life. It happened every. single. time. they used that shit. After two years of it I finally mentioned it to 'em but they steadfastly refused to believe it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:22:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Cigar plus beer, plus noise canceling head phones and mowing pasture and yards is a great afternoon.  OP I would not say you are lazy, I would say you are looking at it the wrong way.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:26:49 AM EDT
[#12]
I only mow 1 acre. I like the area around my house to be critter free. The previous owner did a shitty job taking care of the yard. There was a mice/rat problem the first year, amazing how that went away by taking care of the property. Same for woodchucks.
My yard isn't kept pristine but it's a million times better and looks damn nice after I mow.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:27:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Ok, we human beings have bodies that were designed to be active.....

Before modernization - where we have equipment to do shit for us, we had to physically get shit done, like Idk, beating dirty clothes on a rock to get them cleaned.

IMO, having all day occupied with chores is what kept us out of trouble...

Anywho, how this relates to grass??

I look forward to doing something that keeps my body moving and doing chores my body was supposed to be designed to do; and, yes, I think the smell of fresh grass is actually good for our mood and health - which again, ties in to the biology of the need for us to get out there and cut it.

Now yes, sometimes it sucks and is a shitty chore - but I try to make the best of it, like listening to music and/or catching up with my podcasts. Thank God I didn't live in the days when we didn't have something to listen to...ummm, maybe that's why slaves sang while slaving in the fields?
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:30:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Agree with OP.

Mowing is the biggest waste ever.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:32:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: onthebreeze] [#15]
Originally Posted By fxntime:

Snakes are not pests, they are living vermin control devices.
View Quote
Where I live, there are at least 3 varieties of snakes that can kill you. You really want to be able to tell the difference and being able to see the snake helps.
Originally Posted By Dragynn:
OP is right, lawns suck, waste of water and resources.

So happy we own our own place now, no more mowing for me, oh we have a huge yard front and back and sides, but i'm about to rip that shit out, every bit of it., It will all be garden and orchard space with berry bushes and herb areas and flowers and such. Fuck grass.
View Quote

Happy for you that you have time to maintain that. Most of us don't, so an hour a week to knock off the dandelions and grass is better.

Bold of you to assume I water it. This is Missouri, anyone stupid enough to try zeroscaping or a "low maintenance" garden is going to learn what bindweed is. But it all mows the same!
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:40:06 AM EDT
[#16]
OP is lazy and poor.

Get a riding mower. I come home from work twice a week, crack a beer open and do a few laps around the yard on the mower. Then I run the trimmer, blow the clipping off the concrete and call it a job well done. All told I spend an hour outside on lawn care per week in the mowing season. It’s far more productive and therapeutic than the hour a day most spend here.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:41:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By MADMAXXX:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyjFu0CbXTc
View Quote

Ok,

That's a bit extreme....

For Swamp Butt, I just have to make sure I jump in the shower as soon as I finish working outside, cuz yes, I've gotten infections from moist draws...

For bugs, if you're moving around that slows them down - otherwise, I just make sure I spray bug spray/OFF like around my face and other areas they frequent. I also wear sunglasses, something on my head/neck/face...

The only bad habit I have is not properly hydrating, cuz once I start working I don't want to stop...You have to hydrate properly or suffer later.

In our Central American shithole, I didn't know that I was supposed to put on sunscreen (and probably couldn't afford it either) and would literally wake up at 2/3 amish in the morning from my face burning....now I'm wiser and can afford to do shit to protect my skin out there.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:42:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Lawns are a giant waste of time, money and effort.

im going to tell my son to cuts ours, it needs it.  
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:43:06 AM EDT
[#19]
I’ve been cutting grass for money for years.  No longer full time but I make an extra 8-12 grand a year cutting 6 lawns a week.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:44:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By AJE:
I don't understand the people that will buy a few acres, build a house, and then not do anything else but keep an immaculate lawn.  Seems like an incredible waste of time and resources.
View Quote
If my property started with a decimal point I wouldn't mind it.  
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:44:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By housewolf:
I use a redundant system.
Found while mowing last week
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/177202/IMG_9555_jpeg-3200162.JPG
View Quote

faints in spanish.gif

So far no Snek found where I live now, but had many encounters where I lived before and growing up in that Central American shithole.

Uggh, one that stood out, I had a lot of monkey grass planted around the deck and once reached to pull some leaves out of the grass and there was a baby rat Snek....I screamed and ran away.

Outside of that, I usually let out the girliest scream and then go get a machete and cut their heads off...
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:49:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: OscarD] [#22]

And give themselves cancer and gawd-knows-what in the process, I sat for 3 years and watched my neighbors who were in their 70's do that shit to themselves. They'd go out there 3 times a year and hose the whole fuckin place down with Roundup, then a couple days later they're both in the hospital literally fighting for their life. It happened every. single. time. they used that shit. After two years of it I finally mentioned it to 'em but they steadfastly refused to believe it.
View Quote

I wear latex gloves, use the little spray bottle and just spot treat the stuff that pops up in the landscape always mindful not to use it on a windy day. It should be obvious to anybody that a product which is intended to kill things would be hazardous to your health.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:49:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By cthulhu:
I'm not a religious guy, but I just got a sense of how the devout feel when someone spits in the face of their deity.  

View Quote

Damn lol

People are nuts about their lawns

I am not one of those people
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:50:49 AM EDT
[#24]
My summer buds.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:53:48 AM EDT
[#25]
View Quote

I’d introduce that mess to a 12 gauge loaded with fuck you.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:54:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Mowing? Ha!!!
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:54:45 AM EDT
[#27]
View Quote

I know....

I kid you not, I was the other day looking at some cut up trees and was thinking that those fuckers need to pick that shit up before Snek and field mice make their home there....

Anywho,

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:56:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By onthebreeze:
Where I live, there are at least 3 varieties of snakes that can kill you. You really want to be able to tell the difference and being able to see the snake helps.

Happy for you that you have time to maintain that. Most of us don't, so an hour a week to knock off the dandelions and grass is better.
View Quote

If you do it right, after the initial outlay of time and materials and a couple years, it will actually take no more time than it would to maintain a lawn. I have only 2/3 of an acre, but it would take a lot longer to mow that than just an hour with my little mower, and zero chance i'm gonna spend a grand or two on a riding mower.

The berries and trees are permaculture, as are most of the flowers and many of the other plants too like rosemary bushes and such. Onions and shallots once established come up year after year in many places, if you let one pumpkin die naturally in the garden you'll have pumpkins next year. Let a couple lettuce plants bolt and you'll have a huge crop of lettuce the next year as they are very prolific seed-makers.

Place I had a dozen years ago wound up looking like the hanging gardens of Babylon. Cool thing that happens is stuff like tomato plants and bean plants and whatnot popping up in places where you didn't even plant them from wind and birds and such spreading seed naturally, we called them "volunteers". We grew far more food than we could can or eat, was giving away fresh food and eggs to our neighbors from a place where we had less space to garden than we do now.

And don't even get me started on how much tastier home-grown produce is than that grocery store shit that's picked green.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:00:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By OscarD:

I wear latex gloves, use the little spray bottle and just spot treat the stuff that pops up in the landscape always mindful not to use it on a windy day. It should be obvious to anybody that a product which is intended to kill things would be hazardous to your health.
View Quote

It should be, but those old folks took zero precautions, no gloves, no mask or respirator, just a big 2 gallon garden sprayer with a wand and hose the crap out of everything.

And they'd come back from the hospital and tell me that the hospital couldn't ever tell them exactly what was wrong, so they just treated the symptoms best they could and kept wondering what was fucking them up.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:03:25 PM EDT
[#30]
We are mowing because city gestapo will fine us $150 if it gets to ~ 8” tall. Thats when they call the grass - Noxious Weeds. Might as well have a HOA.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:11:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sabre_kc] [#31]
OP is correct. Lawns are expensive and consume your time. Landscape is where it’s at. Durable, low maintenance, and beautiful.

I live in 2.5 acres and mow with a 54” deck. Put in a pond to retain rainwater for obvious ecological purposes, haven’t mowed it once since.

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:14:03 PM EDT
[#32]
I grew up in a very hilly neighborhood cutting the grass plus whoring myself out in the summer for $7 per yard. I hated cutting grass with a passion. I had not cut my own for 20 years until we bought our property out in the country. Of that 5 acres, about 2 and change is pasture. I enjoy hopping on my little Kubota for 2 hours and riding around listening to my ipod. It's therapeutic. It's calming. It gives me time to think.

I have changed my mind about mowing.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:15:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Dan1918A2:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/157991/IMG_1417_jpeg-3200139.JPG

Stripes. All about the stripes.
View Quote
Such cute little patches of grass.

The orchard in my side field gets in the way of making perfect stripes.

The nice thing about having space is you can have both. The wife gets her perfect little patch of grass up by the house and pool, and I get to let the fields, orchard, and wood lot go until I feel like getting the bushhog out.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:15:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Vermin and insect control
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:17:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By stringburner:

@Chida66

How's your recovered pickup running?
View Quote

Like a champ now.  Bit the bullet last August and had the engine rebuilt from the bottom up.  Heads were lifting off the block under heavy loads.  So while it was out for better head studs (final fix for that 6.0) I had the shop do the whole thing.  Got O-ring heads from Kill Devil Diesel.  All cheaper than buying new.
@stringburner
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:20:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By P400:
Maybe try using your lawn for something fun? I mostly mow grassy go kart trails.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/61196/LE1502023_jpg-3200159.JPG
View Quote
That is what the big field is for. Gotta have somewhere to shake down the rally cars

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:22:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: H1Mech] [#37]
Originally Posted By Macchina:
Call me a greenie or a lazy Millennial but why the fuck are we still all out mowing our lawns!?
Mowed lawns were invented by the English to demonstrate how much extra money they had!  We're not wearing powdered wigs or bleeding with leeches anymore, why mow?

It takes a couple hours out of my week for no reason.
Harms almost all wildlife, especially pollinators.
Costs money for gas, oil, parts, new mower every decade.
Does absolutely zero good aside from it looks a certain way people decided it should look.

I have a few paths at my property up north I mow (we have thorny raspberry everywhere that will grow up if we don't) but it's otherwise natural fields and it's awesome.  Wildlife everywhere, honey bees, monarch butterflies on the milkweed, etc.

For what?  I get we have to mow a ton of stuff, schools, playgrounds, ball fields, etc and that's fine because it serves a purpose.
But why can't we normalize just knocking down the lawn once or twice a year?
I've literally gotten crazy voicemails from my cranky neighbor once when we had our kid and didn't have time to mow for almost 3 weeks.  You'd have thought the house was on fire for how worked up he was about a tall lawn.
View Quote

I was gonna say you are just trying to validate being lazy but you went ahead and admitted it upfront. Your wife spit out a kid and you literally did not have an hour of free time for 3 weeks? Riiiiiight.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:23:52 PM EDT
[#38]

If you do it right, after the initial outlay of time and materials and a couple years, it will actually take no more time than it would to maintain a lawn. I have only 2/3 of an acre, but it would take a lot longer to mow that than just an hour with my little mower, and zero chance i'm gonna spend a grand or two on a riding mower.

The berries and trees are permaculture, as are most of the flowers and many of the other plants too like rosemary bushes and such. Onions and shallots once established come up year after year in many places, if you let one pumpkin die naturally in the garden you'll have pumpkins next year. Let a couple lettuce plants bolt and you'll have a huge crop of lettuce the next year as they are very prolific seed-makers.

Place I had a dozen years ago wound up looking like the hanging gardens of Babylon. Cool thing that happens is stuff like tomato plants and bean plants and whatnot popping up in places where you didn't even plant them from wind and birds and such spreading seed naturally, we called them "volunteers". We grew far more food than we could can or eat, was giving away fresh food and eggs to our neighbors from a place where we had less space to garden than we do now.

And don't even get me started on how much tastier home-grown produce is than that grocery store shit that's picked green.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By onthebreeze:

Agreed....

When I first move somewhere and/or take on a landscaping project/job, the first few times are long and painful - eventually I come up with a system where I can freeze through it. I also try not to make more work for me.

One time when I took over the landscaping for the entrance of our hood (no HOA in that community), some idiot who claims she was doing it before me comes along and starts planting a bunch shit  there, where I got ultra pissed cuz it was left to me to maintain. Her and her husband came out like twice, and that was it - hence why it was a mess when I moved there and had to take it on. I'll have to post a story about that crazy woman one day....

Anywho, yea, I have to even get on my mom and my half-sister, cuz they want me to plant this/that or give me more plants, and I'm like "no, cuz who the fuck is gonna keep it up?"
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:24:02 PM EDT
[#39]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Rustler:
There are a lot of benefits.  Keeps pests away, especially ticks and snakes.  Gives you room to do things.  It looks better.  

Plus it's not just grass that grows. Trees and brush grow too and if you let them get tall it gets hard to deal with.  They can take over a house pretty quick and destroy it.

It's kind of insane to think it was only invented to show supremacy.

Y'all must not get many water moccasins.

Pitbulls of the ponds around here.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:26:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Agilt:

Yall from west Texas?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Agilt:
Originally Posted By Chida66:

That looks pretty sir!  On my last trip to Georgia, I felt a bit claustrophobic.  Too many tall trees blocking the sky.  Just not used to it.  My wife felt the same.

Yall from west Texas?

South Texas
@Agilt
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:28:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Until the 1940s, most lawns were dirt, especially in the Southern US. Prior to that, people pulled up or poisoned the grass and weeds around their homes or dug it up. Over several years of that, almost nothing would grow, at which point you'd have a perfectly good dirt yard. In a couple years, the topsoil would be worn away or tracked off, and you'd have a hard ground devoid of weeds. They did that for 10-20 yards from their houses. Women used to sweep the yard with a broom. That kept the insects away from their homes, and therefore diseases born by them.

That's the traditional way that lawns were kept. It wasn't until the invention of the lawnmower, and a decade after to be honest, that grass lawns became acceptable, which was around the 1940s. Rich neighborhoods had grass sometimes in the 1920s or 30s.

It was a luxury to have a grass yard and the equipment to care for it. In the 1950s, as the postwar economy boomed, and people were building home out on the county roads, the suburbs and such, they wanted to have their lawns look like the wealthy folks, so they had grass planted in their yards. That's when having a grass, manicured lawn became the thing to have.

Back in the day, none of the houses in my town had grass yards. They were dirt, with beautiful flowers and plants planted where the owners wanted them. The lawns were dirt. I have pics of my mom's house when she was a teen in the early 50s, no grass, but flowers and small trees. Her mother and father were mill workers, not wealthy.

My father, who's father was wealthy, a businessman, had a very large home, which serves as the funeral home in town now, had a grass yard, with flowers and trees, and the grounds were large for a house in town. But, they also had a crew that cut the grass, trimmed the trees, and cared for the flowers or planted new ones when needed. Two completely different income levels and stations in life, but that's the way it was in the south at that time.

Everybody having lawns didn't become a thing until the mid 50s or thereabouts.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:32:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Admiral_Crunch:
I don't mow my yard.  I pay someone else to do it.  
View Quote

Me too. I used too, but it's easier to have someone else do it.

I don't actually pay anyone. I'm home pretty much all day every day other than election season when I'm helping a candidate campaign, so I watch my neighbors houses for them. They cut my grass and do my yard work in appreciation for it. We help each other out.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:40:00 PM EDT
[#43]

View All Quotes

I don't like snakes, but those don't look venomous and are probably good autonomous rodent control.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:45:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Kanati:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Kanati:
Originally Posted By Rustler:
There are a lot of benefits.  Keeps pests away, especially ticks and snakes.  Gives you room to do things.  It looks better.  

Plus it's not just grass that grows. Trees and brush grow too and if you let them get tall it gets hard to deal with.  They can take over a house pretty quick and destroy it.

It's kind of insane to think it was only invented to show supremacy.

I used to live in Florida as a kid, if it even moved I tried to catch it. And I caught pretty much everything except a gator because there just were not that many around back them. I knew where a couple were but they were always very wary.

Looking back, I still can't believe I never got bit by anything.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:47:10 PM EDT
[#45]
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/3918/IMG_3819_jpeg-3199968.JPG

Because it’s fun!
View Quote

it's only fun because of two things.  anybody that enjoys mowing without these two things is a psychopath

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:49:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:51:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Yes, yes, we know, it sucks to be poor, and lawnmowers are obscenely expensive now.

You didn't have to remind us of that OP.

Of course, if you happen to live where there are snakes and you know people who have had pets killed because the grass was too high and you couldn't see them... Nevermind letting your kids out onto the lawn.

Mowing is a nice time to listen.

Quit complaining, and use the time well:
https://historyofrome.libsyn.com/

http://traffic.libsyn.com/historyofrome/01-_In_the_Beginning.mp3?dest-id=11182

Wed, 24 February 2010
001- In the Beginning

Welcome to The History of Rome, a weekly series tracing the rise and fall of the Roman Empire. Today we will hear the mythical origin story of Rome and compare it with modern historical and archaeological evidence. How much truth is wrapped up in the legend? We end this week with the death of Remus and the founding of Rome.
Direct download: 01-_In_the_Beginning.mp3
Category:general -- posted at: 7:47pm CDT
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:53:02 PM EDT
[#48]
View Quote

DINNER!

And some really nice hatbands.

Snakeshot works wonders if you've never tried it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:56:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FlashMan-7k] [#49]
Originally Posted By TexRdnec:

it's only fun because of two things.  anybody that enjoys mowing without these two things is a psychopath

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/30587/IMG_3262_JPG-641665.jpg
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TexRdnec:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/3918/IMG_3819_jpeg-3199968.JPG

Because it’s fun!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/30587/IMG_3262_JPG-641665.jpg

Po' broke bum's version:

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:57:18 PM EDT
[#50]

View Quote

I would love to do something like that, but would drive my wife and her borderline OCD to insanity.
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top