Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 3/27/2024 3:35:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FlashMan-7k]

No internet, freedom in the summers, people weren't fat, and communication between people was very intentional (and desired).
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:55:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:56:34 PM EDT
[#2]
My 69 Camaro had a front tag that read Love America or Leave it. Have to dig that one out.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:02:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Boy was that guy mad at whoever he was talking with...
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:03:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By FlashMan-7k:
https://i.imgur.com/VLyRilb_d.webp?maxwidth=760&fidelity=grand

No internet, freedom in the summers, people weren't fat, and communication between people was very intentional (and desired).
View Quote

One trip abroad will reveal how antisocial America has become.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:14:42 PM EDT
[#5]
We used to leave post it notes at the various bars we frequented to find each other lol.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:16:31 PM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:16:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Makes me sad when I think about the 90s and how amazing things were. I hate what the world has become and I hate feeling like I’m connected to the whole world all the time and how nothing is special or unique anymore.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:24:52 PM EDT
[#8]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Yeah, those handsets were remarkably sturdy!
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:27:37 PM EDT
[#9]

View Quote

Her parents were probably crappy parents thus she probably went on to become a crappy parent.
Why, because she really should have been wearing proper foot wear to protect her feet and toes from the bicycle chain and the possibility of stepping on broken glass from those evil glass bottles of the day.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:28:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Pallas:
We used to leave post it notes at the various bars we frequented to find each other lol.
View Quote

Not a vintage pic, but it fits
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:28:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:30:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By CTM1:

Her parents were probably crappy parents thus she probably went on to become a crappy parent.
Why, because she really should have been wearing proper foot wear to protect her feet and toes from the bicycle chain and the possibility of stepping on broken glass from those evil glass bottles of the day.
View All Quotes

How many scars do you have on your shins from these:

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:31:08 PM EDT
[#13]
The nation was happier and healthier before they were put into a cage . We are like zoo animals or livestock.  We aren’t free anymore.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:31:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Creole_Cat:
My 69 Camaro had a front tag that read Love America or Leave it. Have to dig that one out.
View Quote
My grandfather had one that said "The US is Still #1"  I found one just like it... somewhere... and kept it in my garage.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:32:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:32:50 PM EDT
[#16]

View All Quotes

And it sums up the modern world.  Always talking, never listening.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:33:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By DDDDCheapAF:
The nation was happier and healthier before they were put into a cage . We are like zoo animals or livestock.  We aren't free anymore.
View Quote
Where is this cage I am in?  I am free to go anywhere and do anything I want.  Just as the people in these pictures were.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:34:00 PM EDT
[#18]

I found a box full of slides from my dad, been getting through some of them lately.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:34:23 PM EDT
[#19]

Did you ever get to ride in one of these?

https://en-academic.com/pictures/enwiki/49/1931_Ford_Model_A_roadster_rumble_seat.JPG
View All Quotes
I did get to deliver Sunday newspapers out of the back of one of these...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:34:32 PM EDT
[#20]

https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/26696/e7cb5ebe-47d8-4510-a245-e758d1a8ae6c5e949991ec.jpeg
View Quote
I wrapped mine with carpet, cause I rode barefoot a lot.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:34:34 PM EDT
[#21]

https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/26696/e7cb5ebe-47d8-4510-a245-e758d1a8ae6c5e949991ec.jpeg
View Quote

That post stung the shit out of me.

OWWW
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:36:11 PM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

Yep, if we were litigious back in the day there should have been a class action to at least get us a coupon for something other than shin scrappers.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:36:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FlashMan-7k] [#23]
Originally Posted By Burnsy:
Where is this cage I am in?  I am free to go anywhere and do anything I want.  Just as the people in these pictures were.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DDDDCheapAF:
The nation was happier and healthier before they were put into a cage . We are like zoo animals or livestock.  We aren't free anymore.

Where in regular public places can you go and interact with people out of earshot of any microphone and out of sight of any camera ... or where you can't be reached by a phone?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:37:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Admiral_Crunch:

OWWW
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Admiral_Crunch:

OWWW

My shinbones still feel like craterfields because of mine.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:39:03 PM EDT
[#25]
1984 happened when we weren't looking.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:39:08 PM EDT
[#26]

https://en-academic.com/pictures/enwiki/49/1931_Ford_Model_A_roadster_rumble_seat.JPG
View Quote

No, but I did ride in the back of an El Camino once and shortly after a kid from HS was thrown out of the back of one and died.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:40:00 PM EDT
[#27]
It’s ironic that in no time in human history has there been a higher standard of living yet people seem to more unhappy than ever before. If we would all learn to appreciate the simple things in life and stop worrying about every single headline and social media post we’d probably be better off
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:40:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Burnsy] [#28]

Where regular public can you go and interact with people out of earshot of any microphone and out of sight of any camera ... or where you can't be reached by a phone?
View Quote
It's certainly true there are a lot more cameras around.  Everyone has one in their pocket for sure.  I didn't know that's what we were talking about in this thread though.  I don't think the fact that people have cell phones means that I am in a cage.  I am not a prisoner or something.

To more answer your question, I can choose to leave my cell phone at home or put it in airplane mode and go for walk in the woods for an afternoon.  I can do that tonight if I want and I am not special.  Most anyone can "disconnect" if they want to, anytime they want.

You can't bring back pay phones on street corners but...if you want to live a life as if you are still in the 80's, you can certainly do so.  There is nothing really stopping you.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:41:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:44:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EDDIECRUM] [#30]
Attachment Attached File

Bumpers were too low for federal standards. Goodbye to stylish English sports cars.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:45:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:45:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:45:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:47:09 PM EDT
[#34]

No, but I did ride in the back of an El Camino once and shortly after a kid from HS was thrown out of the back of one and died.
View Quote

Can't count the number of times I rode in the back of a pickup truck...at highway speeds (50/60 +)...for well over 40 miles or more. And I've ridden sitting down, laying down, and standing up while hanging onto the light bar.

Good times.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:47:47 PM EDT
[#35]
I remember it like it was yesterday
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:51:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By mudholestomper:
Makes me sad when I think about the 90s and how amazing things were. I hate what the world has become and I hate feeling like I’m connected to the whole world all the time and how nothing is special or unique anymore.
View Quote

The 90's were nothing compared to the mutha fuggin 80's, Best decade in the history of mankind.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:53:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By SystemFailCoreDump:
View Quote
It's worse than 1984. First, the masses volunteered for the surveillance state... and now most of them would swear it doesn't exist if you asked them.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:54:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:54:19 PM EDT
[#39]

View All Quotes

Freedom requires sacrifices.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:54:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By JustDaniel:
It’s ironic that in no time in human history has there been a higher standard of living yet people seem to more unhappy than ever before. If we would all learn to appreciate the simple things in life and stop worrying about every single headline and social media post we’d probably be better off
View Quote

I agree, but I think it's deeper than that. I think a lot of it stems from feeling kind of boxed in by the world. It feels a LOT smaller than it did before the internet and cell phones existed. You have to plan it out and then force yourself to be "disconnected" now when it was just the standard way of living 25-30 years ago.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:58:13 PM EDT
[#41]
It's certainly true there are a lot more cameras around.  Everyone has one in their pocket for sure.  I didn't know that's what we were talking about in this thread though.  I don't think the fact that people have cell phones means that I am in a cage.  I am not a prisoner or something.

To more answer your question, I can choose to leave my cell phone at home or put it in airplane mode and go for walk in the woods for an afternoon.  I can do that tonight if I want and I am not special.  Most anyone can "disconnect" if they want to, anytime they want.

You can't bring back pay phones on street corners but...if you want to live a life as if you are still in the 80's, you can certainly do so.  There is nothing really stopping you.
View Quote

You can live like you're in the 1880s, too, but not if you want to be a semi-successful adult. Try to get a decent paying job, start a business, or raise a family without owning a cell phone,using the internet and email, dealing with social media drama, etc.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:59:06 PM EDT
[#42]

View Quote

*slowly raises hand with tears of pain in my eyes*
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:01:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By BloodRaven:

Can't count the number of times I rode in the back of a pickup truck...at highway speeds (50/60 +)...for well over 40 miles or more. And I've ridden sitting down, laying down, and standing up while hanging onto the light bar.

Good times.
View Quote

There was nothing quite like getting frisky with some young lady in the back of a pickup (under a blanket) while your buddy hauled ass down the road.... knowing that if he got in a wreck, you were gonna end up as pavement pancake. Oh well....

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:02:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Burnsy] [#44]
Originally Posted By CenterMass762:

I agree, but I think it's deeper than that. I think a lot of it stems from feeling kind of boxed in by the world. It feels a LOT smaller than it did before the internet and cell phones existed. You have to plan it out and then force yourself to be "disconnected" now when it was just the standard way of living 25-30 years ago.
View Quote
It think it's just more of humans thinking the grass is always greener and never being happy with what they have.

People wanted to be connected.  Pagers sold like crazy and then cell phones changed the world.  They were not forced upon us.  There is was no law passed that said you had to buy a cell phone.  We WANTED them...a lot, most everyone who could buy one did and those wouldn't couldn't, they didn't celebrate that.  They wished they could.  Being "disconnected", when it wasn't optional, sucked.  If not having cell phones was truely better, we would just do that.  It's not like we didn't have a choice and we can certainly still make that choice right now.

If I were to bet though, you are going to not throw your cell phone in the trash after reading this and you are going to plug it in tonight when you go to bed, to make sure it's working for you tomorrow.  I would bet this because in reality, for reals and not arfcom GD talk, it's a lot better with than without.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:03:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:03:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Patriot Act getting signed into Law.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:03:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cayman_shen] [#47]
Originally Posted By SystemFailCoreDump:
View Quote

No, Brave New World happened. We're controlled by comforts, not intimidation.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:04:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:05:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:09:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Burnsy] [#50]
Originally Posted By CenterMass762:

You can live like you're in the 1880s, too, but not if you want to be a semi-successful adult. Try to get a decent paying job, start a business, or raise a family without owning a cell phone,using the internet and email, dealing with social media drama, etc.
View Quote
Last summer I discovered that my chimney was falling down.  I had a HELL of a time finding a mason who would bother even giving me a quote.  Most were so busy they didn't even bother returning my call or giving me an actual quote that I could sign.  I basically waved my money at anyone with "mason" for a title that would listen to me.

The guy I finally got to fix it had a cell phone but it was not a smart phone and as far as I can tell, had no internet.  It only made phone calls and sent texts.  He accepted no credit cards, payment was check or cash only.  He was crazy busy and I got lucky that he was in my area already doing a larger job and made time after to swing by for a few days and knock out my problem.  

I am a software developer that works from home with a college degree and many years experience.  I did the math and old guy brick layer out there with his freakin flip phone and no social media presence....I had to pay him more per hour than I make per hour.

Go tell him you can't make good money and have a family, life etc without modern tech.  I don't think he knows.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top