Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 39
Posted: 5/9/2024 9:04:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: madmathew]
An attorney for the family of a Florida special operations airman who was shot and killed in his home by local police said Wednesday that officers responding to a reported disturbance may have entered the wrong apartment.

Senior Airman Roger Fortson, 23, who was assigned to the 4th Special Operations Squadron at Hurlburt Field, was alone in his apartment May 3 when police burst through the door and fatally shot him six times, according to Ben Crump, an attorney representing Fortson's family.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2024/05/08/family-of-florida-airman-shot-death-deputies-claims-police-went-wrong-apartment.html?ESRC=eb_240509.nl&utm_medium=email&utm_source=eb&utm_campaign=20240509

The Sheriff starts at 11 minutes into the video.
Okaloosa County, Florida Sheriff press conference on deadly Air Force Airman shooting

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:11:37 AM EDT
[#1]
IBTTBL
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:13:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Protected and served like a mother fucker
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:14:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Ooof
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:14:44 AM EDT
[#4]
If only the officers knew how to read an address....
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:14:58 AM EDT
[#5]
The sheriff's office recently came under scrutiny after one of its deputies resigned following an internal investigation last year of an incident in which he fired his weapon multiple times at a detained suspect after mistaking the sound of an acorn hitting the roof of his patrol vehicle as a gunshot
View Quote

Are these guys just functioning alcoholics or what?
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:15:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By burnka871:
View Quote

Coming soon: "We investigated ourselves and found we did nothing wrong".
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:16:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Ben Crump?
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:16:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:17:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By burnka871:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:18:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Wow this is the same dept the acorn shooter worked at...buncha clown shoes
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:18:46 AM EDT
[#11]
This is the same dept as the acorn?
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:20:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Creatyre:
This is the same dept as the acorn?
View Quote

Yep

And think this is the double dupe
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:20:18 AM EDT
[#13]

So if this was the wrong address, and the "witness" on the video call is correct,  you are cool with this dude getting smoked in his home?
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:20:22 AM EDT
[#14]
May have?
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:22:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By josepha1:
Ben Crump?
View Quote

That is my hang up.

On the surface the cops are jackasses of the highest order.  Ben Crump makes me question that though.

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:23:49 AM EDT
[#16]
I know GD won't like it, but it mentions he was on a video chat.

Was he on the phone with someone and they were screaming at each other which included threats and it was perceived by the officers that there were two people inside of the apartment and they believed that someone was in danger? They make entry, gun vs gun, and shots fired.

My hesitation is crump coupled with an "I can't breathe."

Go ahead, pile on me.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:24:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By mattellis2:

That is my hang up.

On the surface the cops are jackasses of the highest order.  Ben Crump makes me question that though.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mattellis2:
Ben Crump?

That is my hang up.

This is kinda where I'm at.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:24:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: kc-coyote] [#18]
I see that the airman's family has hired the notorious race baiting attorney Ben Crump.  That aside, why did Crump say they sheriff's department "may" have entered the wrong apartment, if they know in fact it was the wrong apartment....unless they don't and are seeing what will stick with the media.  It's not the first time Crump has done this.  The "may" part sounds like Crump isn't so sure.   Definitely would like to see the body cams, to see what ACTUALLY went down, even if they had the actual correct apartment (i.e. the woman had just left, was via a "video call" etc.) or they actually had the wrong apartment to begin with.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:24:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By arowneragain:
May have?
View Quote

Which means they did.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:27:36 AM EDT
[#20]
So - victim was on a video conference @430pm.

Knock on the door. "Who is it?" without a response.

Victim arms himself.

Cops make entry and victim gets drilled.

According to the article, they didn't identify as LEO.

Based on a disturbance call, they made entry without a warrant.

Fuck that cop and RIP airman.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:28:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Undaunted:
So - victim was on a video conference @430pm.

Knock on the door. "Who is it?" without a response.

Victim arms himself.

Cops make entry and victim gets drilled.

According to the article, they didn't identify as LEO.

Based on a disturbance call, they made entry without a warrant.

Fuck that cop and RIP airman.
View Quote

According to Ben Crump.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:29:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: kc-coyote] [#22]
Originally Posted By ExtraHardTaco:

Which means they did.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ExtraHardTaco:
Originally Posted By arowneragain:
May have?

Which means they did.

According to who?  The attorney representing the family (Ben Crump) is saying "may have" which doesn't sound confident.  And you take Crump's word as the gospel?   Hopefully the body cams will provide some actual insight as to what occurred.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:29:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Details aside, the fact that it is the acorn dept doesn't instill confidence.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:30:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Sadly nothing will happen to the cops who murdered that innocent man.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:31:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By GaryM:
View Quote

It doesn't appear to be as simple as that. From the article, it sounds as there wasn't an apt# provided. They actually state in the article, "Don't have anything further than a male and female; it's all fourth party information from the front desk at the leasing office,"

If that is the case, then why the fuck is dispatch putting it out before having the information??? The dispatcher has just as much culpability as the dipshit officer who didn't respond when the Airman asked "who is it", after the officer knocked on the door.  I didn't see if the officer busted into the apartment or if the airman opened the door.

The system is failed at multiple levels, but the moral decay is the underlying reason for stupid shit like this.

The dispatcher shouldn't have put it out without more information, or at least an apartment number.

The cop shouldn't have played super-secret agent/swat by not announcing himself as law enforcement after knocking on the door.

The airman shouldn't have opened the door (if he did) if someone knocks and doesn't announce themself.

What a waste, and if the cop did fuck up, I hope they fry his ass in the chair, but I know that most likely won't happen.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:32:00 AM EDT
[#26]
Ben Crump?
View Quote

This. Can't believe any of it now.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:35:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: treelow] [#27]
Ben Crump is involved?

Yeah, I’m gonna withhold any opinions until more info comes out. Crump’s word isn’t worth shit to me.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:36:01 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By mtnpatriot:

It doesn't appear to be as simple as that. From the article, it sounds as there wasn't an apt# provided. They actually state in the article, "Don't have anything further than a male and female; it's all fourth party information from the front desk at the leasing office,"

If that is the case, then why the fuck is dispatch putting it out before having the information??? The dispatcher has just as much culpability as the dipshit officer who didn't respond when the Airman asked "who is it", after the officer knocked on the door.  I didn't see if the officer busted into the apartment or if the airman opened the door.

The system is failed at multiple levels, but the moral decay is the underlying reason for stupid shit like this.

The dispatcher shouldn't have put it out without more information, or at least an apartment number.

The cop shouldn't have played super-secret agent/swat by not announcing himself as law enforcement after knocking on the door.

The airman shouldn't have opened the door (if he did) if someone knocks and doesn't announce themself.

What a waste, and if the cop did fuck up, I hope they fry his ass in the chair, but I know that most likely won't happen.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GaryM:

The dispatcher shouldn't have sent the job because they didn't have an apt #? How long have you been in law enforcement?
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:37:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Between this and the acorn thing, how does that department get out of an insurance/department ending settlement and a consent decree?
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:37:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Ben Crump?
View Quote

This.  All creditability just went right out the window and for the record and I think the cops fucked up here.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:37:59 AM EDT
[#31]
Ben Crump?
View Quote

Yes, race baiting lawyer saw a paycheck.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:42:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Was it or was it not the correct apartment? That makes a ton of difference. Sounds like it was not from the articles.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:43:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Ben Crump?
View Quote

Yeah I'm a lot more skeptical after reading that.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:44:43 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Evil_Ryu:

View Quote
Being Florida man is not a disqualifying condition for LEO here.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:45:33 AM EDT
[#35]

The dispatcher shouldn't have sent the job because they didn't have an apt #? How long have you been in law enforcement?
View Quote

Of course there are calls without complete information going out daily, but there is also a due diligence to obtain the most applicable information as possible before putting it out. The dispatcher had the leasing manager ON THE PHONE. If she isn't able to determine first floor, second floor, third floor, or other basic details of the apartments she rents, and the renters she has on the leases, the dispatcher needs to obtain a different profession.

The cop could have spoken with the leasing manager on-scene before walking aimlessly into the complex. There are a literal shit-ton of mitigating actions both the dispatcher and the responding officer could have taken but it appears they did not.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:46:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NCPatrolAR] [#36]
what is this; thread 3-4 on this?

ETA

#3, but one was locked yesterday.

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:48:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Creatyre] [#37]

Of course there are calls without complete information going out daily, but there is also a due diligence to obtain the most applicable information as possible before putting it out. The dispatcher had the leasing manager ON THE PHONE. If she isn't able to determine first floor, second floor, third floor, or other basic details of the apartments she rents, and the renters she has on the leases, the dispatcher needs to obtain a different profession.

The cop could have spoken with the leasing manager on-scene before walking aimlessly into the complex. There are a literal shit-ton of mitigating actions both the dispatcher and the responding officer could have taken but it appears they did not.
View All Quotes

You're assuming they didn't do any of this. It mentions 4th party. I'm assuming the lease manager got a call from a most likely unidentified neighbor to the suspected dispute.

Leasing manager says I don't know anything else, person didn't give me more information and I don't know who they are.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:48:43 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By jollyg83:

This.  All creditability just went right out the window and for the record and I think the cops fucked up here.
View All Quotes
Ben Crump?

We have a dumbass lawyer speaking in generalities like "may have", and a department with a history of fuckups.  I'm sure their investigation will be open and honest.

I despise Crump, and despise that department even more.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:50:48 AM EDT
[#39]
Ben Crump?
View Quote

Yep. He was blabbering about it in a clip on the local news this morning.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:09:32 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By haveTwo:

We have a dumbass lawyer speaking in generalities like "may have", and a department with a history of fuckups.  I'm sure their investigation will be open and honest.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By haveTwo:
Ben Crump?

Crump in saying they entered the wrong apartment.

especially considering the alarming witness statement that the police entered the wrong apartment," Crump said

The family of the airman is saying they "may have".

Police Who Shot Florida Airman 6 Times in His Home May Have Entered Wrong Apartment, Family Says
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:11:14 AM EDT
[#41]

View Quote

At this point I think that would be a vast improvement.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:12:44 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By LCPL4ever:

So if this was the wrong address, and the "witness" on the video call is correct,  you are cool with this dude getting smoked in his home?
View Quote

Just be happy he didn’t put Go at the end of his post.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:25:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Coffin-Nail] [#43]
Has Crump actually gotten any paydays? Anything relayed by him immediately casts doubt on the situation in my mind. It sounds terrible but I feel like either he is chasing the ambulance or low IQ greedy family recognized him by name only and sought him out.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:26:28 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Echd:
Was it or was it not the correct apartment? That makes a ton of difference. Sounds like it was not from the articles.
View Quote

I don't think it matters much, if they opened (or broke) the door themselves, and if opening that door was a clear 4A violation.

But, it seems we still don't really know WTF happened here, other than some 23 year old black Airman got offed in his own home and it seems related to his possessing a gun in his own home.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:29:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PepePewPew] [#45]

You're assuming they didn't do any of this. It mentions 4th party. I'm assuming the lease manager got a call from a most likely unidentified neighbor to the suspected dispute.

Leasing manager says I don't know anything else, person didn't give me more information and I don't know who they are.
View Quote

If I'm the leasing manager, I'm not calling the cops with that bullshit. The idiot who called me can call the cops themselves if they really care.

If I'm the dispatcher, "we've got a probable bullshit call, can you take a walk around and see if anything's going on there?"

If I'm the cops, walk, listen, "call cleared, no crime detected".
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:32:32 AM EDT
[#46]
Ben Crump?
View Quote

Yes.  The local race baiter.  Imagine the FLA version of Al Sharpton without the hair gel.

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:34:21 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By BoomerShooter:
Ooof
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:36:06 AM EDT
[#48]

View All Quotes
Ben Crump?

It’s a credibility crisis. Who to believe..  Acorn cops or Ben Crump… what a conundrum.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:36:52 AM EDT
[#49]
View All Quotes
The sheriff's office recently came under scrutiny after one of its deputies resigned following an internal investigation last year of an incident in which he fired his weapon multiple times at a detained suspect after mistaking the sound of an acorn hitting the roof of his patrol vehicle as a gunshot
Not functioning well
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:38:35 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By kc-coyote:According to who?  The attorney representing the family (Ben Crump) is saying "may have" which doesn't sound confident.  And you take Crump's word as the gospel?   Hopefully the body cams will provide some actual insight as to what occurred.
View Quote
I have little to no sympathy for the stereotypical Crump Case, but if things went down as is being alleged I’m gonna have to give him this one.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 39
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top