Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/4/2024 2:22:06 PM EDT
I had some excavating done and part of my yard is now smooth, packed clay with sparse grass.  I want to lay down a couple inches of black dirt and blend it into the clay, two or three inches down, before spreading grass seed.  Will a flail-type dethatcher do this, or should I use/rent a roto tiller?  I have already removed the larger stones.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 5:36:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 50-140] [#1]
I don't have any experience with dethatchers but it appears they're are mainly towed.  Rear tinned tillers are walked, so the size of your area might play into your choice.  
A tiller can be set to where you're only tilling to the depth you want and any rear tinned tiller worth its salt has enough power to bust up clay.
I have a Troy Bilt Horse tiller which has worked well, over the years, but now I also have a 3 point tiller on my tractor, I'm planting about 3 1/2 acres.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 12:31:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 50-140:
I don't have any experience with dethatchers but it appears they're are mainly towed.  Rear tinned tillers are walked, so the size of your area might play into your choice.  
A tiller can be set to where you're only tilling to the depth you want and any rear tinned tiller worth its salt has enough power to bust up clay.
I have a Troy Bilt Horse tiller which has worked well, over the years, but now I also have a 3 point tiller on my tractor, I'm planting about 3 1/2 acres.
View Quote

Thanks, but I'm talking about the powered dethatcher with hardened flail knives on a rotating shaft with adjustable depth.
I think I'll have to use a roto tiller to get to the depth that I need to.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 5:01:44 AM EDT
[#3]
A flail mower's anvils are on chains, usually. I wouldn't imagine you'd get much penetration into hard dirt. I'd till it.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 7:58:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Homesteader375:
A flail mower's anvils are on chains, usually. I wouldn't imagine you'd get much penetration into hard dirt. I'd till it.
View Quote

A dethatcher and a flail mower are two entirely different animals.. not sure why anyone would use a flail mower to loosen dirt.  

Go with the tiller OP as they're made to penetrate soil and mix it at the same time.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:04:48 AM EDT
[#5]
f it's anything like the clay in the NC Piedmonts, you're going to need dynamite!

I say tiller.  Go with the tiller, don't think a flail mower is going to be the tool for this job.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 4:48:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By IH1026:

A dethatcher and a flail mower are two entirely different animals.. not sure why anyone would use a flail mower to loosen dirt.  

Go with the tiller OP as they're made to penetrate soil and mix it at the same time.
View Quote

I wasn't suggesting using a flail mower but presumed that a flail dethatcher was a similarly designed animal. I'm not far off, though, the dethatcher lacks the chains and simply has pivots, which I didn't know. I would still think it would lack depth of cut that OP needs.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 6:44:46 AM EDT
[#7]
If you have a tractor, tiller all things then level.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:13:50 AM EDT
[#8]
For any decent sized area a tractor mounted tiller is the only way. Rent a small tractor/tiller setup and you’ll be done in 1/10 the time of a walk behind tiller. Dethatcher isn’t made to work the soil and hard packed clay is a bitch for a walk behind.  Btdt.  Seriously.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top