Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/12/2024 9:26:02 PM EDT
In northern Ohio. Any chance it’ll be visible again tonight?
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:27:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I missed it too so I'm counting on it. gonna go outside in a half hour or so and check.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:29:23 PM EDT
[#2]
It was epic at my lake place in northern MN

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:30:43 PM EDT
[#3]
If it does bloom up again (looking doubtful), be out in a place far from city lights with a clear view of the north horizon. You are several hundred miles closer to the Arctic Circle than we are in Dixie. Your view should be more impressive than here.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:32:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Not looking good for tonight. Only a G3. Maybe faint from where you are but you'll have to be away from light pollution to see it
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:32:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Overcast and drizzly in western Colorado the past coule of nights.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:33:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Are there any websites to track potential strength of these events? My daughter said Friday's event was "G-5".  Last night it was a G-3 and we saw nothing.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:37:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Flysc:
Are there any websites to track potential strength of these events? My daughter said Friday's event was "G-5".  Last night it was a G-3 and we saw nothing.
View Quote

https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/products/aurora-30-minute-forecast
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:42:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 19Charlie278] [#8]
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:49:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Nobody actually saw it. It’s all camera BS.  Not as fake as when Samsung did the moon thing, but the pics posted everywhere does not match what the naked eye saw (in most places).
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:52:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Unfortunately, you'll have plenty more chances.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:52:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Just went out about a half hour ago and ... nothing. I'll give it another shot but it isn't super active in my area right now.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:58:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Red-Stater] [#12]
Originally Posted By BuddyChryst:
Nobody actually saw it. It’s all camera BS.  Not as fake as when Samsung did the moon thing, but the pics posted everywhere does not match what the naked eye saw (in most places).
View Quote

Yep. Didn’t see shit in southern Kansas, but folks south of me have these crazy pictures?

I’ve seen them much more vividly here in the past.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:15:02 PM EDT
[#13]
View Quote

Well maybe my camera sucks then, because I took a few pics that looked okay, but it looked way better to me seeing it in person.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:47:53 PM EDT
[#14]
View Quote

Maybe if you are red/green color blind, or something like that.

I was walking back from downtown in Bortle 7 light pollution, and the sky was noticeably magenta, and awesome.  It was very short-lived here, but I had friends out at Lake Martin who had no idea this was going on, but saw it outside their windows, and they stepped out to take photos.

The sky was brighter than the 2020 RMNP forest fire evac.  And a much friendlier strawberry/magenta color, compared to the more ominous red/orange of the forest fires.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:53:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By L_JE:

I was walking back from downtown in Bortle 7 light pollution, and the sky was noticeably magenta, and awesome.  It was very short-lived here, but I had friends out at Lake Martin who had no idea this was going on, but saw it outside their windows, and they stepped out to take photos.

The sky was brighter than the 2020 RMNP forest fire evac.  And a much friendlier strawberry/magenta color, compared to the more ominous red/orange of the forest fires.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By L_JE:

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:55:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Me too, it was raining.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 5:18:29 PM EDT
[#17]
I saw itin the Fl Panhandle... I thought it was just heavy light pollution on a night we we should not have had much... (tornados)
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 7:35:17 PM EDT
[#18]
I was watching Fox News and the woman on mentioned it being visible in Florida.
Two seconds later the dumb fuck reporter said they had no such luck in Los Angeles because they are too far south.

Made me wonder if the guy ever looked at a map.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 7:38:42 PM EDT
[#19]
We had full cloud cover last weekend with rain, so we saw nothing.  

Tonight?

Full cloud cover and raining.  

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 7:39:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DirtNasty] [#20]
GEOMAGNETIC STORM WATCH--CANCELLED: A series of off-target CMEs emitted by departing sunspot AR3664 has missed Earth. As a result, today's minor geomagnetic storm watch has been cancelled. Aurora alerts: SMS Text

per https://spaceweather.com/
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 7:47:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Maybe more coming.

Biggest Solar Storm in 20 Years Has Hit The Earth. But It's Not Over Yet

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 7:50:33 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

You could still tell there was definitely shit going on in the sky. And we could tell which color, But phones absolutely enhanced it.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 7:53:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:01:47 PM EDT
[#24]
We couldn't see them here.

Some people did, with a phone camera set a certain way.

It looked all pink.

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:03:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Sunspot group just coming into view threw off an X class flare today, so you might see some in the coming days.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/New-Active-Sunspot-Throwing-out-X-flares-Already-Elevated-Space-Weather-Activity-Wednesday-5-15-24/5-2725236/
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 12:36:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By DaGoose:
Sunspot group just coming into view threw off an X class flare today, so you might see some in the coming days.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/New-Active-Sunspot-Throwing-out-X-flares-Already-Elevated-Space-Weather-Activity-Wednesday-5-15-24/5-2725236/
View Quote

Cool, I’ll be paying attention, this time.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 1:12:03 AM EDT
[#27]

I remember that pattern on our cups at lunch during junior high and high school.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 1:14:42 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 1:29:27 AM EDT
[#29]
View Quote

That’s certainly true for some of the photos I saw.
But in some spots in the continental US it was a hell of a show.
I’ve seen it more intensely in the past, but not across the entire night sky, down to the horizon 360 degrees like this was.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 1:56:12 AM EDT
[#30]
I saw them many times many years ago while stationed in Alaska, made some great memories on those movement to daylights snowshoeing across the tundra. As for now, meh.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 2:07:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: California_Kid] [#31]
We have May Gray in San Diego.  If you want cloud cover without any precipitation, lightning, tornadoes, etc. then come here.  It'll be a hoot.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 2:13:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mancat] [#32]
Looked like One Night and One Night Only for us. Friday and nothing else.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 2:19:33 AM EDT
[#33]
Nobody actually saw it. It's all camera BS.  Not as fake as when Samsung did the moon thing, but the pics posted everywhere does not match what the naked eye saw (in most places).
View Quote

I could see it very, very faintly unaided, but it was way more impressive with a 10 second exposure on a camera for sure.

Nevertheless, I did get to see it, and it was really neat since I likely will not ever travel to a place where they are common.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 2:28:14 AM EDT
[#34]
It's ok, we all died from the X class 9.87 that flipped the poles, you're in a simulation now
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 4:38:50 AM EDT
[#35]
Let me know if you guys up north start seeing the "squatter man" near the N pole. It's a sign of extreme solar plasma activity and means time to find a cave and get inside real quick since no one makes 1000 UVA and B sunscreen.

The Immense Aurora Event of Prehistory & The Worldwide Petroglyph Phenomena of the 'Squatter-Man'
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 5:58:05 AM EDT
[#36]
They were slightly visible with the naked eye where I lived but there is also a lot of light pollution.

The camera on my phone saw them far better.

Link Posted: 5/16/2024 6:08:35 AM EDT
[#37]
While interesting, they're just lights in the sky.

If it really vexes you, travel to Alaska to get it out of your system.

Again, not saying they aren't cool and all, but it's just lights in the sky, not missing your child being born or something important.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top