Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:11:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Caddys83:
People that carry cash dress weird

https://i.postimg.cc/x117tQYs/images-4.jpg
View Quote

Is it because of the bulge in their pants from all that carried cash?

I always assume when I see someone with a huge stack of CC's that the reason they have so many is because there is a maxed out limit on most of them. Always love getting behind a card swiper trying to find that one last card that still has a usable balance left on it. The best are the put $30 on this one, $45 on this one and the rest on this one.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:12:18 AM EDT
[#2]
And it's not just power outages either, glitches happen all the time with cards. Happened to us in the middle of a 3-day moving trip, was driving a big diesel rental truck, pulled into a station and filled up, but there was something wonky about the pumps, they just wanted to work on commercial fleet cards, but cashier got me taken care of so I got the gas.

But since I used a non-fleet card, the gas vendor put a $1000 block on my card, which wouldn't have killed me itself, but my bank flagged the block as suspicious activity and locked the card up completely. Stopped to get gas the next day and card declined, thankfully I carried a fat stash of cash in my wallet just for such fuckery, and was able to get my gas and roll on, while the wife got on the phone and slowly worked the whole deal out while we continued our journey.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:14:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Dragynn:

Same same. Except mine was at a grocery store. Bad storm had knocked out a lot of power in the area. Grocery store had power, but no net to run cards or process checks. Went in and loaded cart, came back up front to a frustrated line of people, and an aggravated manager trying to explain to people that they couldn't take cards or checks.

He finally says really loudly "Does ANYBODY here have cash?",  I hollered out that I did, and he says bring your cart on up. Oh the fury of the other people in line, lol.

One guy even chased me out into the parking lot and offered to write me a check for 300 bucks if i'd give him 200 cash.

This went on for two days, bank was shut down so nobody could get cash anywhere.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By tooldforthis:

same sorta deal

the internet went down and no ccard readers were working in this part of the state during harvest

the line of semi's at the gas station was 20 trucks deep just sitting

I asked

"why is nobody using the pumps"

she said

"nobody has cash"

I asked

"you have fuel if I have cash?"

"yep"

"please turn on pump 8 I have 10 $100 bills to cover my fuel bill"

"pull right up"

laughing all the way out of the gas station at the morons who don't carry any backup cash

Same same. Except mine was at a grocery store. Bad storm had knocked out a lot of power in the area. Grocery store had power, but no net to run cards or process checks. Went in and loaded cart, came back up front to a frustrated line of people, and an aggravated manager trying to explain to people that they couldn't take cards or checks.

He finally says really loudly "Does ANYBODY here have cash?",  I hollered out that I did, and he says bring your cart on up. Oh the fury of the other people in line, lol.

One guy even chased me out into the parking lot and offered to write me a check for 300 bucks if i'd give him 200 cash.

This went on for two days, bank was shut down so nobody could get cash anywhere.

I've seen this on more than one occasion during severe storms or hurricanes down here. I've seen people almost at riot stage because they had no cash, only plastic. Yet here we are. People who carry only plastic bashing those who carry both plastic and cash. The stupidity is overwhelming here. Of all the things to bash people over this is not one of them.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:15:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By fxntime:

I always assume when I see someone with a huge stack of CC's that the reason they have so many is because there is a maxed out limit on most of them. Always love getting behind a card swiper trying to find that one last card that still has a usable balance left on it. The best are the put $30 on this one, $45 on this one and the rest on this one.
View All Quotes

Or maybe it’s because they all have different rewards programs and I like to use the one that pays more

Cash vs credit doesn’t have to be either or. Get both.

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:17:30 AM EDT
[#5]

View Quote

Now I've experienced that on more than one occasion. Now that does annoy me. Once a girl had maybe 20 bucks of stuff and her cards were declined. I eventually just said I'll pay for. Because I had already started unloading my cart on that conveyor belt.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:18:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By TexRdnec:

Or maybe it’s because they all have different rewards programs and I like to use the one that pays more

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/30587/IMG_6206-3200273.png
View All Quotes

I agree completely, I use CC's [debit cards are for tards] and cash for the vast majority of purchases. Last balance.........hell, maybe 12 years ago and that was for one month.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:19:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Crazyascanbe:
I haven't carried cash in years.

View Quote

Me either, been married almost 40 years.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:21:00 AM EDT
[#8]

I agree completely, I use CC's [debit cards are for tards] and cash for the vast majority of purchases. Last balance.........hell, maybe 12 years ago and that was for one month.
View All Quotes

true story, which also pisses people off to hear
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:22:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By 21usernamechecksout:
How do you know they're millennials?

You know there are other Generations, right?

Zoomers
Gen z
Gen x
Boomers

I'm a millennial and I carry cash on me.
View Quote

You do realize that Zoomer and Gen Z are the same? right?
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:26:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By DragoMuseveni:
If the POS is down there's no way to take an order or pay for it, even with cash.
View Quote

Wrong. There is a regular register at ever food place I’ve eaten at for as far as I can remember.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:30:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: eurotrash] [#11]

View All Quotes

same sorta deal

the internet went down and no ccard readers were working in this part of the state during harvest

I asked

she said

"nobody has cash"

I asked

"yep"

"pull right up"

laughing all the way out of the gas station at the morons who don't carry any backup cash

And that was just a storm. Imagine how long the power could go out if the sun sneezed or our international trade partners decided they didn’t want us to have satellites anymore.

I tell you what, that Johnny-come-lately Bitcoin stuff wouldn’t do you no good!
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:30:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Sandbowl1980] [#12]
Americans’ total credit card balance is $1.129 trillion in the fourth quarter of 2023, according to the latest consumer debt data from the Federal Reserve Bank of New York. That’s up from a record $1.079 trillion in the third quarter of 2023, leaving the balance the highest since the New York Fed began tracking in 1999.

Americans have an absolute mountain of credit card debt — $1.129 trillion, to be exact.

This credit card debt statistics page tracks Americans’ credit card use each month. We update this page regularly, looking at how much debt people have, how often they carry a balance month to month, how often they pay their credit card bills late and more.

This marks the third consecutive quarter in which Americans’ credit card balances topped $1 trillion, which had never happened before the second quarter of 2023. It also continues a trend of fourth-quarter credit card debt increases. Since this quarterly report began in 1999, credit card debt has fallen during the fourth quarter of a year just twice — in 2009 and 2010 as the nation wrestled with the impact of the Great Recession.

With this latest increase, credit card balances have risen by $273 billion since the fourth quarter of 2021. Americans’ credit card debt is $202 billion higher than the record set in the fourth quarter of 2019, when balances stood at $927 billion. However, thanks to record interest rates, stubborn inflation and myriad other economic factors, credit card balances are likely only going to climb, at least in the near future.
View Quote

I've actually over heard people talking about credit card kiting. Look up if you do not know what it is.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:33:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By JupiterMaximus:

Wrong. There is a regular register at ever food place I’ve eaten at for as far as I can remember.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JupiterMaximus:
Originally Posted By DragoMuseveni:
If the POS is down there's no way to take an order or pay for it, even with cash.

Correct plus a lot of business have back up power to run pumps ect.....but accepts cash only because lines are down and no cell service.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:34:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: eurotrash] [#14]

View All Quotes

$60? Do you actually use the credit cards? I pay mine off every month, but depending on when the snapshot is taken, it could be anywhere between $2000 and $7000.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:36:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By eurotrash:

People who run data centers have a vested interest in cashless societies and social credit scores, so it's not surprising they mock comments like this.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:42:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By JustinU235:

View All Quotes

People who run data centers have a vested interest in cashless societies and social credit scores, so it's not surprising they mock comments like this.

You intend on using your words or, nah?

https://www.ar15.com/forums/manageReply.html?a=quote&b=1&f=5&t=2717998&tl=how-long-before-pedophilia-is-legal-and-celebrated-in-the-US-&r=108632488&page=3
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:45:32 AM EDT
[#17]
I worked with one of those. He bummed money the first couple days in his new in-house position to use the cash only snack machine. I asked WTF? "Oh, I don't carry cash." I had to cut him off. I made sure to buy and eat snacks in front of him at least once per day going forward. He was not happy.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:49:11 AM EDT
[#18]
I try to keep a grand or so in my safe and $200ish on me
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:52:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JustinU235] [#19]
View All Quotes

Oh that was a serious comment? I thought you were being funny because of how silly it is. My bad. I also assumed this was meant to be a funny thread because of the title and OP sure seemed to be funny, playing on the stand GD tripe of "gotdayum millenials."

Sorry I didn't realize how seriously you, and a few others, take carrying cash that you feel the need to make personal attacks on those that do not.

Here's all I said in the thread, not saying anything against anyone doing something differently than me;

Gen X and I don't carry cash.

Then I was asked,

Originally Posted By MrKandiyohi:

Have you ever been in a situation where cash was the only way to pay?

I know some restaurants have started to give cash discounts.  It's not a lot, but if you can save money by pulling out cash instead of a card, some people will go for that.  And some people would prefer the owners get all of the money instead of some of it going to a credit card company.

To which I replied, again, not making a statement towards or mocking anyone.

Yes, I left. I won't do business with "cash only" businesses.

Then these were said directed at me;

Originally Posted By Lexington:

You probably didn't have the right attire either. At some places, credit cards are gauche.

Which I found hilarious because of how serious some of you take this topic. I only posted a laughy face, though. I didn't "mock" (your claim) or make a statement against them except to laugh at the silliness of the comment.

Now that I know you're serious, though, I'm getting fucking tired of you attacking me and my career and I am now going to start reporting your posts that do such.

If it makes you and the other cash carriers feel better, NOT carrying cash isn't the same has not having an emergency stash of cash somewhere. I simply don't carry cash on my person on a daily basis. I made it through eastern Poland, which is stuck a century back, without cash, and I have never "needed" cash in the last 20 years in the USA. I don't care if you and others carry cash, more power to ya, but you sure seem to care that others do not. The fact that you care says far more about you than what you keep trying to say about me and where I work.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:59:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: eurotrash] [#20]

Oh that was a serious comment? I thought you were being funny because of how silly it is. My bad. I also assumed this was meant to be a funny thread because of the title and OP sure seemed to be funny, playing on the stand GD tripe of "gotdayum millenials."

Sorry I didn't realize how seriously you, and a few others, take carrying cash that you feel the need to make personal attacks on those that do not.

Here's all I said in the thread, not saying anything against anyone doing something differently than me;

Then I was asked,

Which I found hilarious because of how serious some of you take this topic. I only posted a laughy face, though. I didn't "mock" (your claim) or make a statement against them except to laugh at the silliness of the comment.

Now that I know you're serious, though, I'm getting fucking tired of you attacking me and my career and I am now going to start reporting your posts that do such.

If it makes you and the other cash carriers feel better, NOT carrying cash isn't the same has not having an emergency stash of cash somewhere. I simply don't carry cash on my person on a daily basis. I made it through eastern Poland, which is stuck a century back, without cash, and I have never "needed" cash in the last 20 years in the USA. I don't care if you and others carry cash, more power to ya, but you sure seem to care that others do not. The fact that you care says far more about you than what you keep trying to say about me and where I work.
View All Quotes

Gen X and I don't carry cash.

Then I was asked,

Originally Posted By MrKandiyohi:

Have you ever been in a situation where cash was the only way to pay?

I know some restaurants have started to give cash discounts.  It's not a lot, but if you can save money by pulling out cash instead of a card, some people will go for that.  And some people would prefer the owners get all of the money instead of some of it going to a credit card company.

Yes, I left. I won't do business with "cash only" businesses.

You probably didn't have the right attire either. At some places, credit cards are gauche.

Are you still making edits or are you done?

See, it feels good to use your words.

Clearly this is a hot topic for you and we have strong ideological differences. You’re not going to convince me to stop supporting businesses that are cash-only and I’m not going to convince you that a cashless society is a real threat.

Also, you must not have had Kielbasa from a street vendor in Krakow. I highly recommend you his, but bring Zlotys. The vendor gave me stink eye when I accidentally handed him Forints.

On the subject of your job, I’m sorry if I offended you. I am very proud of what I do and you should be too.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:01:20 PM EDT
[#21]
I don't use it often, but I always carry some cash.  I also have an emergency $20 bill in both my vehicles.  Never know when the tech is going down.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:21:59 PM EDT
[#22]

View All Quotes

We had an issue with a cancelled card recently, and I started getting annoyed when the cashier insisted on trying the card a bunch of times rather than another card I'd already gotten out.  I guess I just don't understand since the bill at the end of the month gets paid from the same account no matter the card I use.

Way faster to just try another one and call the bank later, I had a burrito to eat!

Years ago, there was a restaurant that I paid for my meal the next day since their system was down.  I started thinking I was going there too much.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:25:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Admiral_Crunch:
I don't use it often, but I always carry some cash.  I also have an emergency $20 bill in both my vehicles.  Never know when the tech is going down.
View Quote

time to up those car bills to fiddies, $20 doesn't go very far anymore
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:28:06 PM EDT
[#24]

$60? Do you actually use the credit cards? I pay mine off every month, but depending on when the snapshot is taken, it could be anywhere between $2000 and $7000.
View All Quotes

must have been an oversight on my part, i know when my cards close and pay them before they do
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:29:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:29:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:39:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: runcible] [#27]
Isn’t this the same crowd that carries a gun, three extra magazines, a knife in their sock, and a drop gun for all contingencies?
But they don’t carry cash because everything is so predictable? It seems to be a betrayal of the mindset.
View Quote
Honestly, it strikes me as weird. Of all places, I didn't think walking around without cash would be so common in GD.
As I said, I almost never use cash, but having it has come in handy often enough that I wouldn't go out without it.
I wonder how many people here carry a tourniquet, or a reload, but no cash?
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:40:46 PM EDT
[#28]
I always have $100-200 on me just for this kind of thing.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:01:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Mojo_Jojo:
Several restaurants I frequent offer a discount for cash - most are 3.5%.   Not a big deal, but it adds up.
View Quote

Your damn right it adds up. For a 3% discount, I'm paying cash.  Under that, and I use the card that pays me 3%.  I had a tree removed and others trimmed last year and they offered 10% cash discount. (pretty sure I know what that was about). We have two family owned restaurants in town that offer 3.5% or 4%. I think Specs Liquor is 5% cash or debit

Aggressively working CC cash back programs nets us $1,800 - $2,200 a year.  It was almost double that when I was traveling for work more.

I think the whole higher merchant fees to support high cash back plans is bushtit, but as long as the CC companies are going to do it, I will take advantage of it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:32:00 PM EDT
[#30]
I was at a theme park Friday.

You can’t even pay to park using cash.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:36:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Dumb not having cash for a tank of gas everyone should carry a $100 at the minimum.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:48:16 PM EDT
[#32]
I will always have cash on me, stupid not to.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:57:02 PM EDT
[#33]
I've gotten a lot of good deals on guns because I had cash right now.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:38:34 PM EDT
[#34]

The post didn’t even deserve that single emoji response.  That is how dumb it was.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:50:20 PM EDT
[#35]
The Code of smugglers blues. You gots to carry guns, because you always carry cash.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:37:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Sandbowl1980:

I've seen this on more than one occasion during severe storms or hurricanes down here. I've seen people almost at riot stage because they had no cash, only plastic. Yet here we are. People who carry only plastic bashing those who carry both plastic and cash. The stupidity is overwhelming here. Of all the things to bash people over this is not one of them.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Sandbowl1980:

same sorta deal

I asked

she said

"nobody has cash"

I asked

"yep"

"pull right up"

Sometimes people have to figure things out for themselves the hard way .
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top