Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/15/2024 2:31:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Corvette-Racer]
I have a civil judgement against a person.  This is small claims court and I am acting Pre Se, no attorney.  I petitioned the court for wage garnishment and was awarded 25% of his wages weekly.  After three checks, they stopped coming.  I contacted the defendant's place of employment and he no longer works there. I guess he thinks that if he quit his job that let's him off the hook.  I need to find out where he is working now so I can file a new petition.  How can i get his new employment information?  Can I subpoena him directly?  Can I subpoena the Dept of Revenue or IRS?  Any assistance is appreciated.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:58:53 PM EDT
[#1]
If he moved out of state, are you SOL?

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 3:28:23 PM EDT
[#2]

Contact his friends/family. Surely one of them thinks he's a shithead and will cough him up.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 3:33:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Didn't move.  He is a semi-pro bass fisherman, has about $100k tied up in his boat and truck, but they have loans so I can't attach them.  Has a new baby too.  Not going anywhere.  Just thinks he is smarter than me.  My daughter and his sister are good friends, so I may have some info this weekend.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 5:00:28 PM EDT
[#4]
You'll have to do this multiple times....................
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 5:04:28 PM EDT
[#5]
In for some background on the judgement.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 6:08:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ag04blast:
In for some background on the judgement.
View Quote

He signed a contract to pay me $4000 for some equipment.  Didn't pay.  Open and shut case, breach of contract  He has no defense.

He hired a lawyer (I think it is Pro Bono, as so far, he would have spent more that $4k on the lawyer).  Lawyers MO is to postpone and continue until you give up.  Judge gave then one continuance, then denied two more.  Didn't show for court and judge ruled in my favor.

I filed petitions to garnish his bank account and paycheck.  His lawyer asker for a forbearance, judge denied it (he must know this attorney). Debt is now over $5k due to court costs and interest. I collected about $1000 then the checks quit coming.  I called his employer yesterday and he quit his job.

I have made collecting this my mission in life.  I will follow him for a hundred jobs to collect.  Every time I file a new petition for garnishment, it adds $100 to the debt, so I can go on forever.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:08:43 PM EDT
[#7]
If you're that dedicated, follow him to find out where he works.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:15:42 PM EDT
[#8]
I'll find him for three, but I'll catch him, and kill him, for ten.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:23:44 PM EDT
[#9]
PI to follow him around and find where he works?
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 8:36:24 AM EDT
[#10]
is there a way to find out when he enters a tournament and garnish whatever he wins?  the embarrassment might be good leverage
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:01:01 AM EDT
[#11]
If he has sponsors, call them.  Stir the pudding...............
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:37:09 AM EDT
[#12]
This is interesting… semi pro bass fisherman can’t cough up $4k, sad.  I would enjoy this process getting money out of the guy.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:01:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Buy a FPV drone and a few spare batteries.

Follow him next time he goes fishing.

Buzz him with the drone while he fishes.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:40:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Even though he has loans on all that, can’t you still file a lien against his property?
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 2:44:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 1245xx:
Even though he has loans on all that, can’t you still file a lien against his property?
View Quote

Told me at the courthouse I can only lien immovable property (house).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top