Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 8:37:22 PM EDT
[#1]
It means that bad guys get guns pulled on them all the time. Sometimes it stops them and sometimes you better be ready to actually shoot somebody.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 8:37:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RAL:

That's why you need a shotgun. All you have to do is rack it and the perp will shit himself.  
View Quote

My bedside 12 gauge needs no racking. I'm also not terribly attached to the kitchen stove or the sheetrock that will be my backstop should a goblin choose to kick in my door.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 8:38:25 PM EDT
[#3]
“Are you gonna skin that smoke wagon….or just stand there and bleed?”
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 8:42:38 PM EDT
[#4]
If you're going to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk

Tuco
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 8:51:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By dorobuta:

In your thread, we are discussing pulling a gun. If a firearm is presented, what should the response be? I.e.: what should you be prepared to do? If you aren’t prepared mentally, physically, and equipped to do the needful, should you even be armed?

Yes, there are many scenarios, but I suggested flipping the script for the sake of a clear argument. Those rules may be applied to you, if you draw a gun. You may be mistakenly targeted by a good guy…

What are you willing to do?

If you’re not prepared to act, why carry a weapon?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By dorobuta:
Originally Posted By BURN:

It depends

If a bad guy pulls a gun on me at the earliest possibility I would seek cover while drawing and firing.

But sometimes the deadly threat might not be a gun, or I might not be the intended target and in both situations, I might be able to deescalate the situation after I draw my gun.

In your thread, we are discussing pulling a gun. If a firearm is presented, what should the response be? I.e.: what should you be prepared to do? If you aren’t prepared mentally, physically, and equipped to do the needful, should you even be armed?

Yes, there are many scenarios, but I suggested flipping the script for the sake of a clear argument. Those rules may be applied to you, if you draw a gun. You may be mistakenly targeted by a good guy…

What are you willing to do?

If you’re not prepared to act, why carry a weapon?

If I draw my gun.

I'll shoot if I need to...I won't shoot if I don't need to.

But I won't shoot if I pull my gun and then don't need to shoot (to be dictated by what is going on right that second).

Some here say if you pull it you must shoot or there is no real reason to draw and that is just false.

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 8:53:28 PM EDT
[#6]
If you suspect a threat draw the weapon. Use if necessary.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 8:55:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By sirensong:

i've never seen anyone post that.  exactly the opposite - for example, in the 'street crime and you' thread, the OP specifically says to draw early, and if nothing happens, holster.

the point is that you draw in response to threat, and if the threat actualizes, you shoot.  that decision needs to be made before drawing: "if that guy continues to advance, i shoot." if not, then not.  

my only experience was a guy climbing over my 3rd floor balcony.  as i brought the gun up, i decided that i would light him up with the WML, and if he got his hips over the railing, it was go time.  fortunately he freaked out and jumped off the side of the building when i hit the strobe.  i'm no gunfighter, but in hindsight i was ok with my decision-making: simple, clear if/thens.  i like to think i would have followed through, but of course it's impossible to know.  anyway, i'll try to do the same thing next time - have the gun out early with a clear idea of when to fire.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sirensong:

No disagrement

But people on this site say that if you draw a gun and don't pull the trigger "the threat wasn't real enough" to draw the gun.

i've never seen anyone post that.  exactly the opposite - for example, in the 'street crime and you' thread, the OP specifically says to draw early, and if nothing happens, holster.

the point is that you draw in response to threat, and if the threat actualizes, you shoot.  that decision needs to be made before drawing: "if that guy continues to advance, i shoot." if not, then not.  

my only experience was a guy climbing over my 3rd floor balcony.  as i brought the gun up, i decided that i would light him up with the WML, and if he got his hips over the railing, it was go time.  fortunately he freaked out and jumped off the side of the building when i hit the strobe.  i'm no gunfighter, but in hindsight i was ok with my decision-making: simple, clear if/thens.  i like to think i would have followed through, but of course it's impossible to know.  anyway, i'll try to do the same thing next time - have the gun out early with a clear idea of when to fire.

There are people in this thread that are saying they will shoot the second they draw.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 8:58:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By TLD05:
You draw your firearm when deadly force is justified.

If deadly force is justified and you draw your weapon...why are you not firing, unless it's unsafe I suppose.
View Quote

So you see a guy charging you he is say 50ft away he has a knife and is saying he is going to cut your head off.

You draw and the second he sees the gun he drops the knife and runs away.

Are you saying you can't draw until he is at 21 feet from you? (I am asking, I am not putting words in your mouth)
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 9:00:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I think the saying means it's not a magic talisman. You should be prepared to actually shoot if necessary. If you're only bluffing, don't be surprised when they call your bluff.

I think there are a lot of gun store commandos who intentionally misrepresent sayings, although it's possible they actually have sub-Saharan IQ.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 9:15:21 PM EDT
[#10]

There are people in this thread that are saying they will shoot the second they draw.
View Quote

Or even worse, shoot after a few seconds, when it's not justified.  Remember Mike Drejka?
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:10:08 PM EDT
[#11]
No criminal is ever going to call the police on you for brandishing your gun…

Read the thread on street crime and you…
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:21:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tsonda4570] [#12]
Originally Posted By MadMonkey:
It has to draw blood before it returns to the holster.
View Quote

It helps to start with a small caliber to build up your immunity to GSW’s.

OP to me it means being prepared to fire. Not counting on the presence of a gun to end things peacefully.

Eta read this.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/-/5-1285487/?r=69773631

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:33:50 PM EDT
[#13]

That must mean you are damn near tactically omnipotent.

Because you can never foresee an instance where the presentation of deadly force deescalates a situation.

You believe it's either get away or shoot with nothing in-between ever.

View Quote

I am sorry to bust your bubble.  Shit happens beyond your control. Dwelling on the upmost unlikely is futile. How do you prepare for a mid air collision above your head and a massive jet engine is 1.87 seconds away from impacting you on the head?  You don’t.

I don’t look at the world the same way you do.  I live my life without concern of preparing for things beyond my control.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:35:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Because if you pull the gun you might be forced to use it / or have it taken from you and used against you.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:44:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:10:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Deadtired] [#16]
One should not present a weapon that one is unprepared or unwilling to use.  

Weaponized explosives are above a middle-eastern capital.  

One should not fire their weapon unless one intends to strike a particular target.

Again, weaponized explosives are above a middle-eastern capital.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:12:10 AM EDT
[#17]
It means exactly what it says. If you introduce a gun a situation, you best be willing to pull the trigger. I've seen many videos and heard many stories of things going south when a gun was drawn but the person for whatever reason couldn't find it in themselves to actually use it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:15:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Rifleman_556] [#18]
I've unholstered a handgun several times and not fired...

A few at animals but didn't fire because there was no clear shot/they ran or decided I wasn't of interest

A couple times when dealing with multiple people where the situation could have turned violent fast, but kept it out of sight down at my leg.

Thankfully I haven't had to line the sights up on another human yet, but there would have been zero hesitation on my part had that line been crossed.

Those that expect to be able to wave a gun around and solve anything or anyone who says "I have a gun for self defense" and also says "I just don't know if I could shoot somebody" are the problem.

The adage should be changed to: If you own a firearm, you better be ready to cap a mofo with it. Anyone who can't mentally deal with that... enjoy getting robbed, raped, and killed with your own gun, bitch

Edit: that sounded a little harsher than I originally intended. Being unprepared or unwilling to take drastic action will get you or someone else hurt and make a situation 10x worse
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:16:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By ARDunstan:
I'll take "People are retards" for $500, Alex.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:39:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Palm:

I am sorry to bust your bubble.  Shit happens beyond your control. Dwelling on the upmost unlikely is futile. How do you prepare for a mid air collision above your head and a massive jet engine is 1.87 seconds away from impacting you on the head?  You don’t.

I don’t look at the world the same way you do.  I live my life without concern of preparing for things beyond my control.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Palm:

That must mean you are damn near tactically omnipotent.

Because you can never foresee an instance where the presentation of deadly force deescalates a situation.

You believe it's either get away or shoot with nothing in-between ever.

Except in most cases in the USA presentation of a firearm does in fact stops the threat and there is no need to fire.

Others and I have drawn a gun with the intent to fire if need be and not had to.

Do you think none of us should have drawn because we didn’t fire?
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 6:13:25 PM EDT
[#21]

So you see a guy charging you he is say 50ft away he has a knife and is saying he is going to cut your head off.

Are you saying you can't draw until he is at 21 feet from you? (I am asking, I am not putting words in your mouth)
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TLD05:
You draw your firearm when deadly force is justified.

If deadly force is justified and you draw your weapon...why are you not firing, unless it's unsafe I suppose.

Here were I live I'd absolutely shoot the guy as soon as I could get my pistol out and I'd be fine with the law.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top