Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/2/2024 2:01:44 PM EDT
Last July a block of steel fell out of a truck and landed on my foot Completely crushing the arch, i’ve had one surgery involving plates, screws and pins and some of the screws did not take. I’m gonna have to have another surgery.

I’m getting paid twice a month no problem there, but I’m wondering if I need a lawyer?
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 2:07:03 PM EDT
[#1]
YES YOU NEED A LAWYER
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 3:11:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Nope. You are getting paid and medical taken care of.....right now. When it comes time to settle the claim then you 100% want an attorney and the great news for you is that you actually have time to shop around and verify that you don't get an ambulance chaser.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 3:35:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Agree with above.  The time you need a lawyer is when you've reached MMI and they start taking about your permanent impairment rating, which leads to a final settlement offer.

Use the time between now and then to schedule no-cost consultations with a bunch of lawyers. You want to be comfortable in advance with the lawyer you eventually hire.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:14:18 PM EDT
[#4]
As someone who has been through the work comp system with 3 fingers devolved and permanent nerve damage. Yes get a lawyer.

Keep in mind that work comp laws differs by state.

In Missouri the maximum a lawyer can charge is 25 percent of the permanent disability settlement. So that’s what they all charge. Doesn’t matter if you contact them day one or the day before the hearing.

I didn’t think I needed a lawyer. Went through most of the process without one. In Missouri it’s pretty set amounts and the only thing that can be argued is percentage of disability.  That was until one day I get a letter of a hearing before an arbitrator listing the 3 lawyers employed by the work comp company.  Nothing had been discussed. They just default to this. Called a couple
Lawyers and hired one same day.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top