Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/28/2024 7:15:34 AM EDT
Let me start off by saying it’s entirely 100% my fault,I blame myself.
I’m 52 years old and I’m 5 foot 10 &100lbs overweight. I’m a disgusting slob. So recently bought me a trek fx3 hybrid,got it setup the way I want with fenders,clips & lights.
Took it out for a ride this morning and I struggled going up a slight incline. I didn’t even have the strength to standup and peddle. I’m pathetic! Went down a steep hill and had to walk back up.
Anyways should I ride every day to strengthen my legs & lower body or start out every other day?
Should I also do some light weight training in between bike rides as well?
Thx in advance,hope you all have a blessed Sunday.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:18:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Get your diet dialed in. What you eat is very important.  Start with a 500 calorie deficit.  Stay consistent with your eating and exercise.  Set realistic goals.

Stay at it and the pounds will melt off and you will feel better.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:19:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Keep going! You didn't get out of shape overnight, don't expect to get back in shape overnight either. Put in the work and it will pay off.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:20:04 AM EDT
[#3]
I was fit in my late 30's/early 40's.

My body started betraying me in my late 40's,
and now my body is trash in my early 50's.

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:21:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Be consistent.  Everyday / every other day is not as important as just doing it regularly.  Do something that your schedule or willpower will allow you to do on a regular basis.

If you have $$ invested in the bike, use that.  As you are able to improve, you can add other things to the mix.

I'm not a trainer.  I'm a guy on the internet.   Listen to my advice accordingly.   And be sure to consult with a doctor before walking to the mailbox.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:22:11 AM EDT
[#5]
If you're just starting up with riding, I would find a level place to ride to build up strength and endurance for awhile.  And then start to introduce some inclined roadways or tracks.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:22:19 AM EDT
[#6]
I’m no help with your question as I absolutely hate riding a bike, but good on you OP for getting after it! Keep it up!
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:22:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Did you change gears?
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:23:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Racer_X] [#8]
Start off with good diet and light exercise.  
Once things start to feel easy and you find yourself no longer running out of breath, then it's time to increase the activity and effort.

Want a real workout?  Once that fancy Trek becomes easy to ride, search garage sales and antique stores for a single-speed bike from the 1950s made out of steel.
That extra 40 pounds and 1 gear is a huuuge difference in effort.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:23:57 AM EDT
[#9]
I’ll throw out kettlebell swings . That will get the party started. Pick up a hex/trap bar or a barbell and start deadlifting along with some “ Good Mornings “ . You will be back in the fight in no time . Good luck .
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:24:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Realizing you’re a disgusting, morbidly obese slob is the first step to becoming the man you want to be.  

I have no advice, just keep going!
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:25:57 AM EDT
[#11]
It's all about the diet from here on out. Sad, but true. Ride because it is good for you, but also fun.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:26:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Don’t underestimate the effectiveness of walking throughout the day instead of taking the little shortcuts that are there for old people and pregnant women. Park a long way away from the store, take the stairs, etc. Just keep moving throughout the day.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:27:03 AM EDT
[#13]
If you worked out hard enough, your muscles will let you know if you should do it every day or if you should wait.

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:27:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By USNGM2:
Keep going! You didn't get out of shape overnight, don't expect to get back in shape overnight either. Put in the work and it will pay off.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:28:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ED_P] [#15]
I've battled being overweight my whole life but am doing ok now as I'm retired and can exercise a few times a week to keep my weight in a semi normal region (6 feet tall and 200 pounds, but really should be ~180)

My thought whenever I see someone really overweight, even if they're working out very slow at a gym or outdoors is not "That person is so gross..."  it's "Good for you- you're doing better than 90% of heavy people who are just sitting on a couch doing nothing".
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:28:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Nutrisystem has been a godsend for me. It's 500 bucks a month but I'm down 41 pounds (255-214) since mid january.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:31:32 AM EDT
[#17]
If you just want to get better at riding: ride more. Even fat slobs can ride pretty decently if they do it regularly.

Diet of course would be the next step. Doing pretty much anything physical is a lot easier if you're not overweight. Being strict with a meal prep for every meal and snack is my favorite way to go about it. Meal prep at least 3 days worth of meals at once and it'll make dieting a ton easier because you won't have to question choices constantly.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:31:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By HappyCamel:
Did you change gears?
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:33:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Ambridge77:

View Quote

Be honest....did your body betray you, or did you betray your body?

I betrayed mine pretty badly, all while lying to myself and saying things like "I just don't have the metabolism I did when I was younger." Truth is I've become much more sedentary than I used to be, and I eat way worse. Add those to things to the natural aging process, (which can be brutal in its own right) and things can get bad in a hurry.

I'm working on it. But my issues are almost entirely my fault.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:33:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Two to three times a week.

Challenge yourself to go further or faster each time.

Yes, weight training or strength training will be better for muscle growth and metabolism.

In your shape, any kind of exercise is good exercise in the beginning. If you stay consistent, eventually you will need to do less on the bike and more in the weight room to get better results.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:36:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Racer_X:
Start off with good diet and light exercise.  
Once things start to feel easy and you find yourself no longer running out of breath, then it's time to increase the activity and effort.

Want a real workout?  Once that fancy Trek becomes easy to ride, search garage sales and antique stores for a single-speed bike from the 1950s made out of steel.
That extra 40 pounds and 1 gear is a huuuge difference in effort.
View Quote

This.

I was shocked at how much easier it was to ride around on a super light bike.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:40:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Keep it up OP. Admitting you have a problem is a big step.

2 rules I went by that really helped lose weight.

1. No fast food
2. No fried food
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:43:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Just do something and quit eating junk.

No crazy diets, just don’t gorge on empty calories.

Spaghetti for dinner? Make it the high protein kind and you DON’T NEED BREAD WITH SPAGHETTI!

You know what to do, just do it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:48:12 AM EDT
[#24]
The fact that you recognize your out of shape and are taking steps to rectify the problem speaks volumes. Keep it up it takes time to undo the years of neglect. At 56 I realized that smoking/vaping/ drinking and lack of exercise combined with a junk diet had deposited an extra 50+ pounds and at times left me literally gasping for air. About 3 weeks ago I started walking the dogs every day regardless of weather. And eating better. The first week I could barely make 2 miles without half dying. Yesterday we went out and I came back with a happy exhausted dog and myself kinda a little sweaty but not wore out or breathing heavy. In a few weeks I might be able to get back to running. Maybe. Keep it up OP it gets better it definitely takes time but it gets better everyday. Before you know it, You will be riding up that incline.

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:55:27 AM EDT
[#25]
First off , good for you for taking that first step. Take your time and work up to more riding. If you go too hard and hurt yourself you wont be able to ride at all.  

As someone who recently lost 45 lbs, I can say diet is the most important thing to do first. You arent going to get skinny riding a few days a week without changing your diet.  cardio is not the answer. It can be an important part of a program but not all of it.
Track your calories and figure out your daily expenditure( lots of info online about how to do this) and put yourself in a slight deficit 400-500 cals.

Eat less, move more, high protein intake. Hit the gym and do some strength training.

Read : Muscle for Life by Mike Matthews.
Dude is simple, to the point and easy to understand. He does a podcast and YouTube as well. He is the reason I got it figured out and finally began to lose weight that I feel will be permanent.

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:59:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:00:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ENGCPT] [#27]
Originally Posted By GoldenMead:
Get your diet dialed in.
View Quote

You can't outrun/ride a crappy diet.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:04:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: runcible] [#28]
You lose pounds at the dinner table, ounces in the gym.

I would get my diet dialed in, get used to eating a new way, then start with the exercise. I found doing both at once to be somewhat overwhelming.
My initial "workouts" were nothing but walking. They were really just place holders, to get me used to setting aside the time.
Also, don't push too hard, too quickly. There's a difference between a workout that's challenging, and one that's miserable.
The 30 minute workout you do is far better than the 1 hour you don't, because it sucks so much.
You'll be surprised, when you're first starting out, a little goes along way.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:07:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BoneB1B] [#29]
Get a stationary trainer for your bike

Start doing steady work to build up.

Keep your rpm above 85
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:15:06 AM EDT
[#30]
Seriously:  DO NOT start by snatching heavy weights and barbells unless you want to injure yourself with torn biceps, rotator cuffs, trips to Ortho for cortisone shots, etc.     This is a marathon not a cross fit zoo....geeeez some of the advice is coming from 21 year olds  

Since you got the Trek.... use your bike and try to avoid any serious inclines for now.   Do not injure yourself as the injury not only hurts, but has a very negative effect on your morale and will set you backwards rather than forward on your journey.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:21:48 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Gunner226:

Be honest....did your body betray you, or did you betray your body?

I betrayed mine pretty badly, all while lying to myself and saying things like "I just don't have the metabolism I did when I was younger." Truth is I've become much more sedentary than I used to be, and I eat way worse. Add those to things to the natural aging process, (which can be brutal in its own right) and things can get bad in a hurry.

I'm working on it. But my issues are almost entirely my fault.
View Quote

Sighs in arthritis
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:23:27 AM EDT
[#32]
Get your diet in order first.  You're trying to do too much at one time, you'll get frustrated and quit.  I'm 51, 5'-10 as well.  I've lost 100 pounds twice in my life.  November last year I was 238 at the doctor,  I thought, nope, not going to let it get me this time.  I started back on keto, and increased my walking pace.  I typically walk 3.3 miles 3x a week.  I then started adding in jogging, but I couldn't run very far or fast.  I got my Garmin watch and started to track my progress.  As I lost weight I increased my jogging pace and distance.  I'm now down to 190.  There was a 5k race benefiting the local school yesterday and I placed 17th overall and won my age group!  You can do it man, don't try to do too much at once, but don't be a pussy about it either.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:24:23 AM EDT
[#33]
Do everything you can make yourself do, without getting hurt. After a while it will be easier and you will be glad you did it. The single most important thing is don’t quit.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:25:05 AM EDT
[#34]
I'm in the same situation. But I'm working on it.

We have a fairly decent gym where I work. So every day on one of my breaks I go down and ride one of the stationary bikes. They're electronic and you can set the difficulty (how hard it is to pedal), hill simulations, etc. The first few times I did it, my legs were like cooked spaghetti noodles. But now I can go longer on a higher difficulty setting and it not be as bad.

I've also cut my sugar intake WAY back and I've started eating more things that are better for me. It's slow going, but I know it's not a sprint. The hardest part is discipline; keeping to it when there's so much bad stuff (i.e., food/drinks) around you.

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:27:05 AM EDT
[#35]
Start slowly so you don't get burnt out, hurt, or discouraged.

One day at a time.  

Cut out excess calories, looking especially at what you drink and what you snack on.  

Multiple walks a day, along with some jogging, light lifting, and biking will help get you started on a good path.

Be better today than you were yesterday, be better tomorrow than you were today.

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:27:20 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Ambridge77:

View Quote

Same...
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:27:37 AM EDT
[#37]
You've already taken the first step, which is the most important thing you can do.  Congratulations!
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:28:17 AM EDT
[#38]
Calorie reduction is key. Manny ways to do it, few are sustainable. For me intermittent fasting is the sustainable way. I still eat what i want in a very narrow window
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:28:41 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Levi24:
Seriously:  DO NOT start by snatching heavy weights and barbells unless you want to injure yourself with torn biceps, rotator cuffs, trips to Ortho for cortisone shots, etc.     This is a marathon not a cross fit zoo....geeeez some of the advice is coming from 21 year olds  

Since you got the Trek.... use your bike and try to avoid any serious inclines for now.   Do not injure yourself as the injury not only hurts, but has a very negative effect on your morale and will set you backwards rather than forward on your journey.
View Quote

Who said anything about heavy weight?
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:31:47 AM EDT
[#40]
Also consider a cardiac work up to ensure your heart & arteries are healthy so you don't have a heart attack.

Get an Apple Watch that will help you track your cardio & as a bonus has fall detect.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:47:17 AM EDT
[#41]
Dropping weight happens in the kitchen.

Lift weight to get stronk.

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:33:41 AM EDT
[#42]
OP, don't expect to lose 100 pounds in a hurry.  What you eat, or more importantly what you don't eat, plays the biggest part in turning yourself around.  Simply put, you have to eat fewer calories and move more.  Start with small short-term goals that are achievable.  How much can you lose in a week?  How far can you walk today?  Start your exercise program incrementally and build up.  Walking is a great way to maintain and lose weight.  

I would suggest reading Tony Robbins book "Awaken the Giant Within."  He has some very good points about how to change your life permanently.  It's a long read and covers a lot.  Your problem is in your head, and that's where you need to start in fixing it.  Once you associate nothing buy pain by being fat and out of shape, and pleasure by losing weight and getting into shape your turn around process will be much easier and lasting.  Currently, I assure you your brain associates eating and being lazy with pleasure; and exercising and not eating what's bad for you with pain.  You need to flip that, or you will never achieve long term success.

Old habits need to be replaced with new habits, old patterns with new patterns.  Goal setting is important.  Perhaps more important is not letting missteps stop you from achieving your goals.  Everyone experiences setbacks, successful people don't let those define themselves.  Remove the people, events, words, and other triggers from your life that contribute to destructive behavior.  Again, your problem is in your head, that's where changes must be made!!
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:37:48 AM EDT
[#43]
Get the diet in check and keep pushing on exercise. Over time you’ll notice that things get easier and you can tackle a hill you haven’t before.

Remember you can’t out exercise your mouth.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:40:58 AM EDT
[#44]
The trick to riding is constantly changing gears and more importantly making sure the bike is fit to you.  Way too many people ride with the saddle to low which leads to excessive knee bend which in turn leads to getting fatigued quicker.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:41:10 AM EDT
[#45]
You can't out work a bad diet.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:43:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Notcalifornialegal] [#46]
Diets the biggest thing that will affect you.

Jeff Nippards a great channel to follow because everything he recommends is backed by science and he links the papers.

How To Build Muscle And Lose Fat At The Same Time: Step By Step Explained (Body Recomposition)

Beyond that doing something simple like cycling at a low heart rate (110-120) for 30 minutes a few times a week will boost your enduance and give you more energy, while simple weightlifting programs like 5x5 will make you stronger.

Edit:

Don't set huge goals like lose 100 lbs in a year.

In fact don't set any WEIGHT related goals. Set actionable item goals like "bike 30 minutes 4 times a week"  or lift weights 3x a week.  Then when you get some consistency try to go a little farther or faster then you did the last week.

It will build upon itself and be easier to stick with.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:50:08 AM EDT
[#47]
It took some time to get to your current level. I am 66 and just finished my five mile morning walk, I walk everyday. I have major spinal cord damage, knees, hips ,and feet. When I first started I was 273 and barely could get out to the mailbox and back. Eventually I added distance and increased speed. I am down to 230, goal is under 200. BP is good to low. So come up with an exercise program that you can do and complete. In time increase your goal, you'll get there.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:18:40 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By SUGuy:
It took some time to get to your current level. I am 66 and just finished my five mile morning walk, I walk everyday. I have major spinal cord damage, knees, hips ,and feet. When I first started I was 273 and barely could get out to the mailbox and back. Eventually I added distance and increased speed. I am down to 230, goal is under 200. BP is good to low. So come up with an exercise program that you can do and complete. In time increase your goal, you'll get there.
View Quote

Good advice.  OP dont dive head first into a dramatic diet and exercise change.  rarely do people stick with such measures.  Ease yourself into the changes and you'll stand a much better chance of staying with the plan(s) long term.  Also, learn to ignore the scale.......check your progress once a week or even once every few weeks..........dont try to track progress on a daily basis.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:20:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JarheadPatriot] [#49]
I know a lot of people who have dropped weight simply by walking a mile or two every day.
I would do that, OP. Drop some pounds, then hit the bicycle. After that, move into weight training.

eta: and eat better. As others have said.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:23:41 AM EDT
[#50]
Ride every other day until your backside gets used to the seat if you’re that overweight. Otherwise you risk pressure ulcer or tailbone issues. On the off days do stretching and kettle bell exercises.

Most importantly give your body the correct fuel for health improvement. No soda, cut out alcohol and tobacco and eat real food.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top