Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/7/2018 4:09:14 PM EDT
I recently traded for a NIB Kimber Custom II.  I have always wanted a 1911 but couldn't decide what to get. I traded a Gen 4 19 and $200 and I think I did great.  I didn't really like the 19 and burried it in the safe when I got a Gen 5 19.

I have put 250 rounds through the Kimber this week, and I love it. The trigger is amazing and is very accurate.  It is a sweet gun. It has been flawless so far. Are the internet claims of Kimber being jam-o-matics just rumors?  I haven't found very many Kimber owners complain about it, just people saying they are.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 4:21:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Everyone has an opinion on Kimber.

I own a Custom Defender II all steel that I got in 01 I believe, and I've never had a problem with it.
Just got a Pro CDP II last month and this thing is just as sweet as the Defender.

I put S&A magwells on both and the Defender has a Novak rear, and that is the extent of my personalization.

Get a bunch of good mags and ammo and you should be set.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 5:40:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Mine was great.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 5:50:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Kimber Tactical Pro II here.  It's a range toy.  I wouldn't trust my life to it.
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 5:59:10 AM EDT
[#4]
There are more good kimbers out there than bad. That being said I see more problems with kimbers than with other brands.

I used to work with a guy who bought a new one and we fired a couple hundred rounds with no issues. Since then it never had a problem. I would not hesitate to carry that gun. I think any problems become apparent in the first couple hundred rounds.

My only other complaint is the finish. I've seen a bunch rust easier than I would think likely.

Good luck. They do tend to be very accurate
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 9:45:06 AM EDT
[#5]
I put another 100 rounds through it today. It has been 100% so far. I did pick up a KimPro 8 round magazine at the range and it ran fine. I did manage to add an idiot scratch putting it back together. I had been careful up to this point and got in a hurry. Oh well. It's got character now.  I'm fighting the temptation of buying more 1911's.
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 1:28:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't fight it!
Go with your feelings
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 2:08:08 PM EDT
[#7]
My tle/rl 2 has worked 100% since I got it in 05, runs 100% suppressed as well
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 2:35:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Nice gun op. I have Kimber 1911 from around 1999 before the series II changes. It seems like the prices on new Kimbers is very reasonable these days.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 9:16:20 AM EDT
[#9]
I've had my Custom II since 2004 and can't remember it jamming.

Love the accuracy of the piece but hate the ejector which tosses brass everywhere!
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 2:11:29 AM EDT
[#10]
They are decent guns once you remove the Schwartz safety and plastic mainspring housing.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 8:19:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: kchustle] [#11]
I've had a custom II for probably a decade and never had issues with it.  Use good mags.  I like chip McCormick power mags.  I have night sights and vz grips and it's good to go.  I carried it for a long time
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 4:03:12 PM EDT
[#12]
My Kimber has been problem free, sounds like you got a deal
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 8:08:06 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm sure it's like other brands where most are good but you mainly only hear about the bad. Unfortunatly my only hands on experience with a kimber was not good. A friend had a crimson carry and it jammed about every other round it seemed like. So for me since then I've stayed away until I shoot another one with no issues. I have a few other friends that swear by them so I'm sure it was mainly his gun but just left a bad taste in my mouth. Good luck and I'm sure it will shoot great!
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 8:38:58 AM EDT
[#14]
You have to ask everyone who has jamming problems - what magazines are they using?  There are some real junk mags out there.

In my experience if you get Wilson Combat, Chip McCormick, or factory mags you won't have an issue.  If you use promag or nobrand 1911 mags - then you might have an issue.   I wouldn't trust untested surplus mags either (they should run with fresh springs).
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 8:52:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Scott_R] [#15]
I have two Kimbers, and they're both very nice and shoot great.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 9:02:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: M4-AR] [#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 300Savage1899:
You have to ask everyone who has jamming problems - what magazines are they using?  There are some real junk mags out there.

In my experience if you get Wilson Combat, Chip McCormick, or factory mags you won't have an issue.  If you use promag or nobrand 1911 mags - then you might have an issue.   I wouldn't trust untested surplus mags either (they should run with fresh springs).
View Quote
My kimber has been 100% from day 1.

I mostly use CM mags, have 3-4 kimber mags but also have 6-10 $5 “1911” mags from cdnn.

It’s ran perfect on all of them, but I agree mags may be some folks problem.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 12:32:49 AM EDT
[#17]
I have an ultra raptor ss and haven’t had any problems
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 7:54:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JayRock-PHX] [#18]
I love kimbers . When I was stupid and young I got a gold match 2 and wow that thing was slick. Of course the guy at the turners gun shop was eager to sell it to me. I think it was like $2000.

My favorite is the tle
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 11:33:10 AM EDT
[#19]
I shoot a Gold Match II stainless that has been flawless.  Damn accurate firearm.  Was the most accurate pistol I owned until I got a CZ TSO....
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 9:38:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DOW] [#20]
I have a Custom ll TLE

Winchester white box gives me about 1 or 2 stoppages per 100 rounds.

Everything else seems to be 100% ok so far.

Go figure.

ETA
I Always use Wilson Combat 7 round mags. Gun just doesn't like WWB for some reason.
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 8:13:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Road_Clam] [#21]
I have the Kimber Target II LS in 10mm . Had some ammo feeding problems when it was brand new. I did some polishing to the slide rails, barrel feed ramp and the feed lips on the mags and that helped quite a bit. Feeding 10mm  Truncated Cone ammo can be hit or miss with the Kimber 10mm. Luckily for me I can buy Sig Saur 10mm ammo that's Round Nose and it feeds flawlessly.  Now I have about 700 rounds fired, and I handload and now my relibility is excellent. Maybe one FTF in 300 rounds. I'll say one thing for 10mm , that caliber packs a serious amount of energy downrange ! My Kimber 10mm loaded full house with 180's thumps a 8" steel gong with serious authority, comparable to my Desert Eagle 44 mag ! With the heavy-ish Kimber's 6" bbl, the recoil is elevated but very controllable. It's more of a heavy thrust than an abrupt smack of recoil.

Link Posted: 9/21/2019 9:09:06 AM EDT
[#22]
I have two Kimber 1911's.  A Desert Warrior and a Gold Combat.  They both are excellent shooters with regard to accuracy and function.  I exclusively use Wilson 47C magazines and have had no problems.  Over time I have read threads here that hate Kimbers for whatever reason.  Of course most of the haters are parrots and have never owned or shot a Kimber 1911.

Back in my college days I worked for a car dealer whose mantra was "Their is a seat for every ass and a ass for every seat".  Well I'm the ass who loves his Kimber 1911's.

Link Posted: 2/18/2021 5:13:47 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a ProCarry 2 tone that I bought on a whim. It is the most accurate pistol I own (out of 4). The Kimber is my favorite shooter due to accuracy and fun factor of the 45ACP. Big Holes . It can stack 200gr cast SWC right into a nice group at 15 yards. I need some more Wilson mags for it and load up some more ammo.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 8:26:04 PM EDT
[#24]
I got a Pro Carry II Stainless in 2006. My favorite gun to shoot. No issues, trigger is awesome and the gun is more accurate than me. If I don’t hit where I want, I know it’s me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top