Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/11/2024 2:12:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer]
Your tax dollars hard at work - 1600 feet of high speed rail line that no one wants or needs.

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 7:02:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Every time I look, it seems the plans have been reduced in scope, the costs have gone up, the amount spent has changed, and the amount needed to finish has grown.  There's a couple of things haven't changed.  No one is riding it and no one is in jail.  I'd like someone to aks thegov when he tells how California could be considered the "world's seventh (or eighth) biggest economy!" why we need "foreign aid" to complete a train project?
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:37:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#2]
I've been checking this out.  The construction effort isn't as bad as originally shown but it is still pretty bad.

Link to BuildHSR.com

No one wants it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:01:11 PM EDT
[#3]
The link between San Diego and OC or L.A. was one of the first things to be cut.  Anyone who lives south of OC should be outraged that their tax dollars are going to a project that will never have any benefit for us in our lifetimes.  But there are a lot of dumb people out there.

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:04:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Trollslayer:
I've been checking this out.  The construction effort isn't as bad as originally shown but it is still pretty bad.

Link to BuildHSR.com

No one wants it.
View Quote

On a superficial, uninformed level, almost everyone wants it.  But the crowd dwindles quickly when they begin to learn how much it has to cost and why it might have to be in their neighborhood.

Gov. Jerry Brown in January, 2018 "Since I have talked about tunnels and transportation, I will bring up one more item of infrastructure: high-speed rail. I make no bones about it. I like trains and I like high-speed trains even better. So did the voters in 2008 when they approved the bond."  this was 10 years after the original bond was passed."

But you can't run 21st century trains on 19th century routes.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 12:49:45 PM EDT
[#5]
What a waste!
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 2:10:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Trollslayer:
What a waste!
View Quote

Yes, I also view it as the biggest bait-and-switch in my memory.  At best the cost analysis done in support of the 2008 ballot proposition was done with utter incompetence.  But term limits have allowed pols like Lynn Schenk to make bank by serving on the HSR commission as cheerleaders after all of their elected office opportunities were exhausted.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top