Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2022 2:59:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rbs86]
A friend sent me this.  Apparently the Air Force owns the triangle of land that crosses Sloan Lane and are shutting the road down due to their base commander thinking there are too many accidents in that area.

For those that are in the area of Nellis AFB.

This is a final reminder that the intersection of Sloan Lane and Las Vegas Blvd will close permanently on Saturday morning, 19 Nov.  
The significant increase in traffic from the many recently constructed box store warehouses and the proximity of the intersection to both our Range and Beale Gates, has made this area extremely dangerous.  
There have been countless major vehicle accidents and a recent dual fatality brought the Installation Commander to this decision in order to keep our Airmen and families safe.  
We have advertised this closure for over a month via email/social media/etc., but I am certain there will still be significant challenges with commute routes on Monday morning.  
I understand your frustrations, and I ask for your patience during your drive.  Please be safe out there.
Link Posted: 11/21/2022 12:46:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Was at a doctor's appt last week and got a bit more to the story.  The high accident rate is of concern to both the base commander and NLVP.  The proposed solution is to put in a stop light at the intersection.  Doing that requires $$$.  The big fight over who's going to pay for that is between the base commander and NLV. Since neither one wants to fess up the $$$ the interim solution is to close the intersection.  But here's the rub, they're not actually going to close it as in blocking it off.  It'll be on the honor system.  And to add even more absurdity to the situation, it's not going to be "closed" to everyone, just base personnel.  Your average Joe Blow civilian will still be bale to use Sloan to get to LV Blvd.  What a cluster.

Speaking of clusters, has anyone tried getting there via 215?  HO! LY! CRAP!  Trying to get to the above mentioned appt which was a 0730 it took me a hour and a half to get from 215/Lamb to LV Blvd. While waiting at the clinic I was chatting with a lady that said she wanted to avoid that mess too so she took Craig to LV Blvd and it was just as big of a mess.  How the holy blue HELL do you get to the damn hospital other than those two routes?  I guess I could take Lamb all the way to LV Blvd and then come in from the Southwest.  The whole damn thing SUCKS!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top