Storms anybody? (Page 1 of 2)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/14/2024 7:41:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: zach_]
Got some damage.
Southwest Denton area.
Pics too big to load wtf?
Anyway, cars dented, roof prolly forked.

Link Posted: 3/14/2024 7:48:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: R3L04D] [#1]
Heard about baseball hail but unsure where

Weather sirens and small hail in Little Elm.

Hope everyone gets out ok
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 7:53:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: zach_] [#2]
It is now official again...
I have lived in DFW for 43 years. I have owned automobiles all 43 years. Every vehicle I have owned in Texas has suffered hail damage. One in my driveway is a 3 time loser.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 7:58:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Lots of rumbling and sirens in McKinney. So far no rain or hail.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 8:03:46 PM EDT
[#4]
It was unusual. The hail came in from different directions. It was hitting on all 4 sides of the house at different times. Never all at once. One at a time. Fucking spooky.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 8:13:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Mesquite checking in.

Sitting in a meeting with the Emergency Management Coordinator, ironically
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 8:15:19 PM EDT
[#6]
It’s called an insurance miner.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 8:46:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Sucks.

I’m just a few mins south of Roanoke which apparently got hammered.  I only got rain so far.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 11:05:05 PM EDT
[#8]
So far, not much.  I've been waiting on this thing since my first email Wednesday morning.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 6:09:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Big nuthin here...Centerville & Miller in Garland.  Had a light rain at 3:00 am Friday.  Just enough to knock the dust out of the air and onto the car, no significant winds.

mm
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 6:10:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Looks like Frisco had a tornado.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 10:18:18 AM EDT
[#11]
I just got a little rain
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 9:17:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Central Texas, nothing.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 9:39:52 PM EDT
[#13]
San Saba had a little excitement, but to the south of them we barely had enough rain to make things damp.  Hell of a lightning show at 6am though.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 9:41:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By R3L04D:
Heard about baseball hail but unsure where
View Quote

From scanning the warnings/watches yesterday it looks like the Oakies got hit with the baseball stuff. 2"+ up there. Roanoke and nearby areas started with 1"/quarter, then moved up to ping-pong ball (1.5") sized before the storm blew eastward into Collin, Fannin, and Hunt counties. Dropped a confirmed EF0 in Frisco, near the UNT campus (very short duration, looks like <1/4 mile) with only minor damage reported.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 9:46:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Saw video clips that Houston had rain and Hail coming down on people at the Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo fairgrounds.

OUCH!!!

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 10:35:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Got rowdy as hell @ 4am hella close lightning strikes.

Thankfully no damage except for washing out my road, 1.5” in a really short time period
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 6:45:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By wolfjflywheel:

Got rowdy as hell @ 4am hella close lightning strikes.

Thankfully no damage except for washing out my road, 1.5” in a really short time period
View Quote

Well Wolfy, most of us city folk would think that washing out our road was a major fucking situation to deal with.
Are you able to come and go as needed?

CHEESECAKE!
one day
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 7:38:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By zach_:

Well Wolfy, most of us city folk would think that washing out our road was a major fucking situation to deal with.
Are you able to come and go as needed?

CHEESECAKE!
one day
View Quote

yessir, that’s just a Tuesday around here
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:05:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Everybody OK? Looks like another day of bad storms.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:24:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Got a bit of hail in N Johnson but currently A OK
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:55:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Waiting on this rotation to pass into Kaufman Co. Driving to drive south tonight to go visit my daughter, I don't want to get caught in a hail storm.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:57:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Heavy rain and a pile of trash cans at the bottom of the street.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 4:56:22 PM EDT
[#23]
It all went north of us last night.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:34:08 PM EDT
[#24]
We drove through Ennis Friday evening, the RV park next to Whataburger on 45 was flooded out and the FD was plucking people out of their RV's with the ladder truck and their FD boat. Half of 45 and the service rd to Buccee's probably had 6 to 8 inches of standing water. When I came back into town yesterday, it had all receded.

This morning it probably rained at the house for 4 hours. There's a few trees down in my neighborhood, I'm not sure what happened, must have had some strong wind this morning when I dozed off.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 4:47:07 PM EDT
[#25]
We got severe thunderstorms between 3:30am and 5:30 am. Metric ton of lightning but no hail or tornadoes thankfully. Am in Hill Country in Adamsville area and directly west of Fort Hood/Cavazos. Looks like the tornadoes are in east Texas now.
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 7:07:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Blowing up again. Looks like some hail damage so far.
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 7:28:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Stormy storm fun
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 2:27:48 AM EDT
[#28]
1.23" of rain in downtown Mesquite
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 6:59:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: joemama74] [#29]
Got a little dime sized hail in Dallas Co. My folks got a little bit of golf ball sized hail in Ellis Co. Not much. Dad is beyond giving a shit, put steel roof on his house and every other building on his place 20 years ago. Said he never wanted to crawl up on the roof again, he's 75.

I wish I had mine done the same way.

Had probably a close lightening strike at work. Killed one of the network ports that goes to an outdoor Cat 6 that runs to another building. Started getting notifications about a failure in part of my network, so I got in the truck and drove in, the traffic light on the street corner was blinking. Also had a pipe in a basement we found was leaking water. So while the network was repairable, the water pipe was a headache. Had to turn the water off overnight and plug it this morning.
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 12:11:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Hope everyone is okay.  Seemed like big wind and widespread power outages in DFW and east of Dallas.
Possible tornado east of Terrell.

I recorded a 1-minute rain rate of 18in/hr, I think that's a record for me.  Then the weather station conked out when we lost power.  Showing 2 inches of rain this morning, while missing 1.5 hours of data in the middle of the storm.

Had one old standing dead tree fall over.  A piece of conduit pulled off my wifi/light tower.  I'm sure what little driveway gravel I had is now at the bottom of the hill.
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 4:16:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: zach_] [#31]
Carrollton got hit hard this morning. Lots of downed trees, carports, playhouses, and fences. Multiple trampolines in the streets. Worst damage I have seen without a tornado being involved. Lots of the stoplights still not working at 13:00.
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 5:02:58 PM EDT
[#32]
My 4 year old roof is f*kd.  All windows on north side have broken frames, the "special" thicker glass didn't break.  Both vehicles got a second round of hail dents, one windshield needed.

Seriously considering re-roof with metal.  Or relocating.

Paladin
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 9:28:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Armpitbull at 520am when she heard thunder. The wind caused me to turn TV on at 530 and the backyard tree falling over at 545 made me get out of bed.
6:01am lost power, power back on at 7:43pm. Twenty five years in Plano and thats the longest continuous power outage I've had.

Tree wasn't rotten, just soft ground. Busted up my fence a bit.

No hail.

Oddly, the storm sirens went off AFTER the storm front had passed. I'm wondering why no one bothered turning them on at 530 when NBC5 said it was +70mph winds.
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 9:53:59 PM EDT
[#34]
We weren’t as lucky on the second round. Power is out at my business, which means the internet is out, even with 80kw rocking out of the generator.

We lost a tree which crushed part of our fence. I wanted the fence back up, so I broke out the Stihl 461 and started cutting.

There was one large limb that went straight up from the trunk. I cut a wedge and thought I knew where it would fall.

I hear the first crack, pulled the saw and ran. Fucking thing fell the wrong way, literally inches in front of my face. Knocked the saw right out of my hands.

Lucky as fuck I’m not dead right now or have a broken arm. Just bruised as fuck. I did finish cutting it up about 20 minutes later.

I have a logging hard hat. It was sitting on my desk. Don’t be a dumbass, slow down and be careful.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 9:57:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By joemama74:
We weren’t as lucky on the second round. Power is out at my business, which means the internet is out, even with 80kw rocking out of the generator.

We lost a tree which crushed part of our fence. I wanted the fence back up, so I broke out the Stihl 461 and started cutting.

There was one large limb that went straight up from the trunk. I cut a wedge and thought I knew where it would fall.

I hear the first crack, pulled the saw and ran. Fucking thing fell the wrong way, literally inches in front of my face. Knocked the saw right out of my hands.

Lucky as fuck I’m not dead right now or have a broken arm. Just bruised as fuck. I did finish cutting it up about 20 minutes later.

I have a logging hard hat. It was sitting on my desk. Don’t be a dumbass, slow down and be careful.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/166748/IMG_3428_jpeg-3226162.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/166748/IMG_3429_jpeg-3226163.JPG
View Quote

Were there soiled shorts involved?
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 10:01:20 PM EDT
[#36]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/166748/IMG_3428_jpeg-3226162.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/166748/IMG_3429_jpeg-3226163.JPG
View Quote

Dealing with trees and running a chainsaw are equally dangerous, always gotta be careful and use safety gear
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 10:10:08 PM EDT
[#37]

Were there soiled shorts involved?
View Quote

No but my priorities were different for the rest of the day. My employees kept asking, what about this? What do you want to do about that?

I don’t care, just take care of it.
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 10:13:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Freakinout:

Dealing with trees and running a chainsaw are equally dangerous, always gotta be careful and use safety gear
View Quote

Yes, I had cut 80% of it already, I was drenched in sweat and tired of lifting that heavy ass saw. I should have stopped, reassessed what I was doing and composed myself a little more.

I’ve cut a lot of trees, first time I had a real fuck up. ☹️
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 10:25:46 PM EDT
[#39]

Yes, I had cut 80% of it already, I was drenched in sweat and tired of lifting that heavy ass saw. I should have stopped, reassessed what I was doing and composed myself a little more.

I’ve cut a lot of trees, first time I had a real fuck up. ☹️
View Quote

I had a very close miss in 1980. I worked for the forest service at the time. It shook me up for a while. There was too much noise, and not enough brains being used while we were cleaning up storm damage next to a railroad track.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 12:01:35 PM EDT
[#40]
It is now official again...
I have lived in DFW for 43 years. I have owned automobiles all 43 years. Every vehicle I have owned in Texas has suffered hail damage. One in my driveway is a 3 time loser.
View Quote

Second strike for my vehicles.  Never got the last (2020?) damage fixed, autobody shops were not helpful.

Wife asked if "new" damage would be covered.  Then I remembered my local agent had taken pictures of the "old" damage.

What will Allstate say if I file new claims for this years damage?  And can show them that the damage is beyond what they already paid for.

Paladin
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 1:35:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By PALADIN-hgwt:

Second strike for my vehicles.  Never got the last (2020?) damage fixed, autobody shops were not helpful.

Wife asked if "new" damage would be covered.  Then I remembered my local agent had taken pictures of the "old" damage.

What will Allstate say if I file new claims for this years damage?  And can show them that the damage is beyond what they already paid for.

Paladin
View Quote

You'd need to have it reassessed and they could pay for the difference.  It'd be a mess for the adjuster and probably not net you much.

If you have a vehicle without a clam on it prior, you can ask for diminished value.  Which is the amount of lost resale value due to the history.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 10:33:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Cary rain driving east out of Dallas tonight.  2 inches at the house in about 30 mins.  Drove through some water running across the county road that I probably shouldn't have, but needed to get home.  And waiting meant it would probably still be wet and also dark.  The worst part was in the nearby town, definitely had a bow wave going there.  

Few more tree parts down.  Also saw a clear garbage bag full of aluminum cans rolling along like a tumbleweed, that would not be fun to hit at any speed.
Link Posted: Yesterday 9:09:07 AM EDT
[#43]
Been out of town for 10 days, returned to minor wind damage in Collin County and one tree blown over at the root ball.  Headed north into Celina for some fence posts and food, saw tons of wind damage and damaged roofs.

Hking
Link Posted: Yesterday 12:06:11 PM EDT
[#44]
We went to Terrell this weekend and had dinner. Lots of broken trees, blown over signs, a few buildings collapsed. Then around Mesquite, we saw several red oak trees snapped off about halfway up the trunk. We're talk 8-9" caliper trees. Not huge trees, but relatively young oak trees. Just snapped like tooth picks. Too much foliage on top, I guess it was like a parachute.
Link Posted: Yesterday 11:48:04 PM EDT
[#45]
(random bitching post, sorry)

Drove back in the rain AGAIN on Monday, more wading.  The county road wasn't as bad as Sunday night, but for some reason the driveway damage was worse.  I have places where the gravel is 10' off the edge!

Sunday night I missed my usual exit from the highway, very poor visibility and the damn 1 mile ahead sign had blown over.  So I only saw the sign at the exit and it was too late.

Another rain shower this morning, but anything less than 1" is negligible by comparison after these 2 weeks.

Lost power again Monday night for a few hours.  No big deal but my transfer switch shit the bed.  For a while it hasn't been automatically activating, needing a manual switch (always fun standing in the driving rain throwing the lever on 200A), but would reset properly when utility power came back.  It had been on my list to fix but not high enough after the original installer ghosted me.  So now, I think the contactor is bad inside, it is only passing one leg of 120v through at all.  So the house has no 240v and half of the 120v breakers are dead too.  So all the extension cords got broken out AGAIN.  Local good electricians can't fix, they don't stock those parts.  And a wider survey of generator techs/installers shows them maybe into next week before service.  Still trying that angle.  House is bearable since the other a/c unit is before the ATS, so there's still 240v working there (why I knew it wasn't a utility phase issue).  Doing wash tonight but have no dryer.  Also no hot water in the main bath unless I hook up an outside extension cord to the water heater (propane but needs electric control).

Dear wife got her car stuck trying to turn around in the driveway, front drive wheels off the hard but wet road bed into the very soft pasture.  Very I told you so moment there.  No-go on matting and tracks under the wheels.  Very close to being down to the frame.  My truck needs a new battery so it wouldn't run to tug it back to the road, and possibly would have gotten stuck too.  Would start with the jump pack but not stay on.  Side-by-side didn't have enough grunt to pull it out, and then it did get briefly stuck too.  Sucked up my pride and let neighbors come to the rescue with tractor, 2 minute job when you have the right tool at hand.  At least had a good chat with them.  

Then when dear wife and the neighbors were on the way out, they didn't activate the gate separately and got caught by the closing arms.  Blown fuse so replacement got opener working again, but needs alignment which is a finicky ground job that will have to wait for a dry day.

Anyways, it's been a day.  Brighter days ahead.
Link Posted: Today 7:32:52 AM EDT
[#46]
This shit is getting old.
Link Posted: Today 7:44:04 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Bud:
View Quote

Yup. Soon we will have 87 days without rain. You know that will happen.
Link Posted: Today 7:44:19 AM EDT
[#48]
I'm looking forward to getting away from the stormy weather starting next week
Link Posted: Today 7:44:59 AM EDT
[#49]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bud:

It'll happen eventually, extra hot and dry could be a rainy summer at this rate
Link Posted: Today 8:53:58 AM EDT
[#50]
I used to think I would enjoy a Pacific Northwest rainy season, but now not so sure (different rain, but still)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Storms anybody? (Page 1 of 2)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top