Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Posted: 4/30/2024 7:14:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ChickenDaddy]
Hello Utah!
Bringing a couple family members to visit in the next few weeks for five or six days and looking at a quick easy White Water rafting adventure.

Anyways, thought the kids-- a girl and boy 17 & 15-- would like to XP WW rafting.

So...tentatively flying into SLC, straight South to meadow hitting a few sites ( Timpango, american fork?, Wild Horse, Meadow Hot Springs, Fremont Indian)-- then East to the SE corner of the state to Goblin, bear ear, maybe Canyonlands (several days over here), then back North through Green River back to SLC.

Is there a good one in the Green River/Price area (planning on an overnight here on run back to fly out in SLC)?  Or do i need to add a bunch of drive time tnd hit Dinosaur Nat'l monument?

Also on the SE leg we'll be near Moab, but wasn't planning on going unless that opens up a possibility (staying two nights in Cainesville over there in a dome).

I am a disabled vet so get into all national parks for free for the family, not sure if I get into your State parks free.

Thanks for your input!
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 4:14:38 PM EDT
[#1]
almost any of the parks are going to be good this time of year. and there are parks around green river.  I don't know if there is white water rafting on the green, but there are some fishing guides that will put you on some good fish on the green. it's normally really clear but this time of year is probably pretty dirty as runoff has started and there will be muddier water.

Link Posted: 5/1/2024 5:30:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Were going to stay in Green river and try to find a place around Moab for a one day ww rafting trip.

State parks u have to be a resident to use a vets free pass, no worries well hit a bunch regardless.

Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:00:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:27:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I was trying to reserve at river terrace but was on hold for an extended time then the connection was bad and they hung up on me, but it seemed nice and id try again next time

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 1:38:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Look into doing Westwater on the Colorado River east of Moab. OARS in Moab is one of the outfitters that does it. Great outfit, skilled guides and very safety conscious. There are also outfitters that take folks on day trips on the more sedate Colorado River sections between Hittle Bottom and Takeout. Generally known as the Moab Daily. A good two - three day overnight is the San Juan River from Sand Island to Mexican Hat a couple hours south of Moab. Great scenery, ruins and petroglyphs. A good chance to see Bighorn Sheep while on the river. One of my favorite floats. I took my packraft on it for an overnight last weekend and it was running at 1400 CFS.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 2:23:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By medicmandan:
Not much to eat in Green River but The Tamarisk and Ray's Tavern are really good.

A friend owns the River Terrace Inn so we usually stay there.  Nice place.  I think there is also a brand new Holiday Inn or similar on the west end of town.
View Quote

The lady at one of the rafting places also recommended Ray's and we will stop. I don't drink, but Can I conceal carry in there if they serve booze?
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 2:25:32 PM EDT
[#7]
OK, looks like we have to add a day in Moab to get in even a partial day of WW rafting.  I will be contacting OARS on Monday.  

In the 90's I had a pair of Nike Air Moabs, so this must be the place they were named after?

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 2:26:26 PM EDT
[#8]
You know, I love the desert SW.  I have not been here in almost 20 years--I met my wife in AZ--and I am concerned I am going to like it so much I am going to want to move.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 2:49:56 PM EDT
[#9]
BTW--here are some of the places we will be hitting, a former resident of Utah is my wife's co worker and he recommended these to avoid the lines at most of the Nat'k monuments.  Please feel free to correct me if I truly need to get into one or more monuments that I am planning on skipping:

Temple square (or whatever is open there)
Maybe Antelope Island--or salt flats?  (not sure which)
Tintic reduction mill? (or tomorrow AM)
Wal Mart for cruising supplies
Staying over at a downtown hotel

Fremont Park
Drifting down I70
Maybe meadow hot springs?
Joseph overnight

San Rafael Reef
Goblin Valley
Carl's critter garden
Overnight Hanksville

green river--2 nights
day 1 "west loop" (actually well probably head south from hanksville then bactrack to GR)
Bears' ears
Time enough to hit Glen Canyon?
Bactrack to Green River

Day 2--Moab if WWR
OR "SW loop"
Grandstand canyon
Dead horse point or arches?
Green river

Drive to Price, overnight
do more around Moab before heading out or hit something on way to price?

Back to SLC, fly out.
Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top