Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/8/2021 4:08:32 PM EDT
So I've got a line on a pretty good deal for a 700 5R with the fluted barrel. Problem is, 24" is too long for me. I much prefer an 18" since I never shoot unsuppressed. Does anyone know if the flutes would keep my smith from being able to rethread it after cutting?
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 1:25:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: borderpatrol] [#1]
It might look like ass, but it can be done.

Several places offer threading services with the barrel still installed. ADCO firearms will shorten the barrel on a barreled action and thread the muzzle for $140 if you ship it to them completely disassembled. No trigger parts or anything else on the receiver. Barrel removal isn't needed.

I would go with ADCO unless you want the barrel rechambered. That will cost a lot more money and take more time, virtually every custom shop is backlogged.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 1:30:47 PM EDT
[#2]
BTW - I prefer 24" and longer barrels in bolt action rifles. I'm not willing to sacrifice velocity in order to gain portability in a bolt gun. If I want light and handy I take an AR.

I do own two Howa mini-actions with threaded barrels that can be suppressed, a 7.62x39mm and a 6.5 Grendel. I don't consider either to be long range rifles.
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 11:14:54 PM EDT
[#3]
This guy cut and threaded a fluted barrel for me. There are pics in his EE thread

EE listing
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top