Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/27/2016 2:59:19 PM EDT
Recoil article on long range shooting with Todd Hodnett

One great quote, that we already know....

Q-
What would you suggest for someone looking to buy his first long-range rifle?

A- "......For the gas guns, or semi-auto, I wouldn’t buy a gas gun that isn’t a LaRue. LaRue Tactical is by far the best in the marketplace."

Read more: http://www.recoilweb.com/todd-hodnett-the-long-range-cowboy-108460.html#
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 3:02:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Some precision goodness from the article:

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 3:02:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Reminds me, I need a whiz wheel....and a .260 barrel
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 3:10:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd settle for a Radius to mount on my LT845 ....I see he doesn't have any mounted on the OBRs in the photo either....
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 3:35:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Draconis:
I'd settle for a Radius to mount on my LT845 ....I see he doesn't have any mounted on the OBRs in the photo either....
View Quote

Did you say Radius?

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 3:56:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Good article.

"The bullet always tells the truth"

Wisdom right there.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 4:05:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Think those are 20"s or 18"s in that pic?
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 5:59:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By macman37:
Think those are 20"s or 18"s in that pic?
View Quote

18's
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:58:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Defender3:

Did you say Radius?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v501/defender3va/DSC_0922_zps33jkbnc1.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Draconis:

Did you say Radius?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v501/defender3va/DSC_0922_zps33jkbnc1.jpg

.....Grrrrrrrr.....I really want one, but it's so far down on the list right now I'll probably be able to pick up the first gen for a song...as all of you are extolling the virtues of the gen fours.....

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 8:02:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 9:58:56 AM EDT
[#10]
does todd still shoot matches?  I've only been shooting sniper type matches for 6-7 years and have never seen him at one.  I have seen the author of that article at several.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 10:17:42 AM EDT
[#11]

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v501/defender3va/todd-hodnett-navy-seals-class_zpsyyxekyav.jpg
View Quote

I'm guessing those are schoolhouse owned guns since they're all the same
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 10:33:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By cone256:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cone256:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v501/defender3va/todd-hodnett-navy-seals-class_zpsyyxekyav.jpg

shit load of money in that pic
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 11:09:04 AM EDT
[#13]
I am not in to long distance...yet.  

But hats a very interesting article on a more interesting shooter.  

Thanks for posting it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 11:12:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 2:47:56 PM EDT
[#15]
I was a big Larue fan I like Marks politics, personality and gear. I like that he seemed to care about quality. I bought a barrel that simply won't group, 18" stealth. Factory, handloads, 55s, 77s different powders - won't group. Ok no prob, Larue is known for customer service. Two requests for a replacement barrel disappeared into a black hole, nobody seems to want to address it. Has larue gotten that big and successful? I get great groups with other barrels, can't make it happen with the stealth.

Hopefully you see this Mark. Give me some advice. I work in Iraq 9 months a year and it's almost time to come home again. That would give me some renewed faith

Thanks

Pat
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 4:46:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Great read!

Link Posted: 8/30/2016 4:59:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 5:11:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By n2bateyou:
I was a big Larue fan I like Marks politics, personality and gear. I like that he seemed to care about quality. I bought a barrel that simply won't group, 18" stealth. Factory, handloads, 55s, 77s different powders - won't group. Ok no prob, Larue is known for customer service. Two requests for a replacement barrel disappeared into a black hole, nobody seems to want to address it. Has larue gotten that big and successful? I get great groups with other barrels, can't make it happen with the stealth.

Hopefully you see this Mark. Give me some advice. I work in Iraq 9 months a year and it's almost time to come home again. That would give me some renewed faith

Thanks

Pat
View Quote

good bate job
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 5:52:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LaRue_Tactical] [#19]
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 4:33:27 AM EDT
[#20]
I had troubles with ordering from your website, a long time ago. Sent a couple emails no answer.  Called long distance, with questions about a scope combo, that was a waste too.

Who cares, screw it ill buy somewhere else, never had any problem ordering online with anybody else
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 6:57:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 7:42:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By TheBigStink:
I had troubles with ordering from your website, a long time ago. Sent a couple emails no answer.  Called long distance, with questions about a scope combo, that was a waste too.

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/31/2016 11:03:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: n2bateyou] [#23]
Attempted from billing and returns page twice last year (Im not at home much.). I'll attempt to call during regular hours. Sorry for the thread derail boys. Thanks

Edit- It wasnt my intention to start a lot of shit. And for the record, Hodnett is awesome.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 7:52:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Excellent  article.

Thank you for posting OP
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 8:29:32 PM EDT
[#25]

Who cares, screw it ill buy somewhere else, never had any problem ordering online with anybody else
View Quote

Bullshit. I've called several times and never had an issue.  If you have a valid gripe spit it out , otherwise gtfo.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 9:33:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By LaRue_Tactical:

Leave it to a nice thread about Todd Hodnett to be the perfect lead-in to start ...

The Big Stink
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By LaRue_Tactical:

Leave it to a nice thread about Todd Hodnett to be the perfect lead-in to start ...

The Big Stink

since the subject came up, i figured you would want to know.  my bad
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 5:43:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 1:25:33 PM EDT
[#28]
May just change the direction I was headed.  .260 might be an interesting new cartridge to play with.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 5:21:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Interesting.  Thread includes an article about one of the main long-range trainers who has really done a lot to advance the discipline, and is highly esteemed.

He mentions his preference in gas guns being LaRue, and all of a sudden, people pipe in to talk about problems with LaRue.

I own no LaRue rifles myself, just making the observation.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 7:22:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 8:29:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By JohnnyP:
May just change the direction I was headed.  .260 might be an interesting new cartridge to play with.
View Quote

The only problem  witn the .260 is the brass. How difficult is it to make it  out of .308 brass ?
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 10:37:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ziarifleman] [#32]
Originally Posted By Iggyort:

The only problem  witn the .260 is the brass. How difficult is it to make it  out of .308 brass ?
View All Quotes

A trip through a sizing die, for me, after annealing the brass.

Or you could buy new Lapua.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 1:00:57 AM EDT
[#33]

View All Quotes

There are plenty of factory brass sources for .260 Rem brass, more than any of the other 6.5-08 class of cartridges.

The problem with .260 Rem is that it doesn't have the industry support that it should have.

If one of the big manufacturers were to make a well-engineered gas gun series of loads for it, for example, it could take off.

Most of us that shoot it hand load for it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 10:15:42 AM EDT
[#34]

Originally Posted By LRRPF52:

There are plenty of factory brass sources for .260 Rem brass, more than any of the other 6.5-08 class of cartridges.

The problem with .260 Rem is that it doesn't have the industry support that it should have.

If one of the big manufacturers were to make a well-engineered gas gun series of loads for it, for example, it could take off.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By LRRPF52:

I spent some time yesterday looking through my ammo channels,  it's readily available in brass and factory loads.  I have boxes of reloading equipment that I have never used.  May set up an area in my garage and start.
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 11:07:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bass_ackwardz] [#35]
Thank God Todd did the Magpul Precision Rifle series video...  He showed most long range precision shooters just how much he didnt know, or was just plain wrong on...

Figured I better change it before I get into trouble...
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 11:19:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 2:07:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By bass_ackwardz:
Thank God Todd did the Magpul Precision Rifle series video...  He showed most long range precision shooters just how much he didnt know, or was just plain wrong on...

View Quote

Explain?
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 3:30:04 PM EDT
[#38]

View Quote

As a person who knows just enough about bolt guns to be dangerous, I have seen the Magpul video and other stuff Todd has done and I find him to be incredibly knowledgeable .  What exactly are you referring to when you say how much he didn't know or was just plain wrong about?
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 4:41:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By conndcj:

As a person who knows just enough about bolt guns to be dangerous, I have seen the Magpul video and other stuff Todd has done and I find him to be incredibly knowledgeable .  What exactly are you referring to when you say how much he didn't know or was just plain wrong about?
View All Quotes

I'm trying to educate myself on long range precision rifle right now. I too am curious in what he says and does that is wrong. He's someone who trains some of the best shooters in the world, I might want to listen to him and take some notes.
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 4:43:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By pumbaajk:

I'm trying to educate myself on long range precision rifle right now. I too am curious in what he says and does that is wrong. He's someone who trains some of the best shooters in the world, I might want to listen to him and take some notes.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By pumbaajk:

Shooting long is by far my favorite thing to do. Watched the videos back in the day and I dont recall anything jumping out at me as bad. It all was very legit info.
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 6:35:39 PM EDT
[#41]

View Quote

Cool picture. I have always wanted to go down and shoot a course at accuracy first.  Does A1 and Larue have a working relationship?  A friend had told me that everyone who attended one of his high angle courses was able to use an OBR with nightforce scope and one of larues cans on it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 10:04:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Todd is a corporate shill for whoever he is being paid by at the time.  I'm not saying the guy has no clue, but some of the herp derp that came out of his mouth in that DVD made several people that shoot for a living or compete at the highest level go

I am going to have to re-watch the video so I do not misspeak, because no doubt some one will bust my balls if I am not 100% accurate on exactly what he says.  I remember three or four specific things that myself and 3 other shooters saw and had to laugh about on the way to the Sniper's Hide Cup one year when we watched the video on the way up to Wyoming.

Link Posted: 9/5/2016 10:10:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 10:20:26 PM EDT
[#44]
You know what, nevermind.  I'll recant anything I said because its just not worth it.  I'm wrong, I apologize to Todd and to Larue Tactical.

Have a great night.
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 11:27:28 PM EDT
[#45]
I tell people that when there’s a bullet in the air, there’s hope.
View Quote

I got a kick out of that one.
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 11:32:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Side question. Why the love for the .260 over other 6.5 options?
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 11:01:20 AM EDT
[#47]
I have met Todd a couple times in Utah and found his system to be quite useful.
I am actually sitting in Flagstaff on my way up to that range right now. Wish my .260 was with me. Hint hint
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 11:46:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By assaultdog0351:
Side question. Why the love for the .260 over other 6.5 options?
View Quote

To each their own. .260 can shoot a tad faster than the creed, especially when you seat the bullet out further. Some say it feeds better. Some dont like jumping on the bandwagon and like something less ubiquitous. Others like matching their gasser ammo with their bolt acion. Others like playing with what the .mil is buying and trying. Theres a reason that the likes of GAP and Larue make em...demand.

Me, I just like that it works.
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 2:51:50 AM EDT
[#49]
You know what, nevermind.  I'll recant anything I said because its just not worth it.  I'm wrong, I apologize to Todd and to Larue Tactical.

Have a great night.
View Quote

I'm confused as a newbie reader here. Someone posted a reference to an article on Todd Hodnett. Then you talk smack about him. Then in a follow up post you call him a corporate shill. Then you get huffy and decline to back up the criticism.

I read this quote from the article which points to outcomes that validate the guy's abilities:

"Within a year of taking up competitive cowboy action shooting, he was a national champion. Shortly after breaking into long-range competitions, he won major matches."

Furthermore he has a successful school.

Who am I supposed to believe?  So let me ask this. Would you make those comments to Todd's face?
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 4:41:42 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top