Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/16/2024 8:25:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ErikTaylor]
Afternoon/Evening All,

I am wanting to get into 6.5cm. I'm very happy with my KAC gassers in .308, but would like to try out a new cartridge and have the ability to shoot further. The conundrum I have is being in FL there's not a lot of places to stretch the legs out on a .308, much less a 6.5cm. My normal MO is just get the best I can find but I know more than likely it will sit around a lot. So I thought of a compromise of getting the Delta 5 Pro for a nominal purchase price (hard to argue with their 1/2MOA guarantee), and if I end up using it more thank I'm thinking as of this post, then upgrade and buy a custom gun. If it turns out I don't shoot it a lot, oh well, I don't have a lot wrapped in a custom gun not being used and can probably recoup most of the funds when I sell it.

With all that said, I am intrigued but the D5P, but all I hear/read is the slop in the action. That's really my only hold up in pulling the trigger on one of these. The rifle will be used for mostly target shooting on steel at distance.

Any input by actual owners would be great. The good, bad and the ugly.

TIA

Edit: Grammar
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 8:52:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I get where you’re coming from with pushing the easy button, but for $2500 you can build a decent semi-custom.

$900 Origin Action
$500 Preferred Prefit
$200 TriggerTech
$500 KRG X-Ray Chassis

And you’ve got $300 left over for miscellaneous bits.

(I did a quick search on prices of D5P’s, that’s where the $2500 came from)
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 12:25:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By gsd1983:
I get where you’re coming from with pushing the easy button, but for $2500 you can build a decent semi-custom.

$900 Origin Action
$500 Preferred Prefit
$200 TriggerTech
$500 KRG X-Ray Chassis

And you’ve got $300 left over for miscellaneous bits.

(I did a quick search on prices of D5P’s, that’s where the $2500 came from)
View Quote

Thanks for your post. The model I'm looking at is the 24" 6.5cm in FDE which I think those are close to $3K. Sorta beside the point but wanted to paint a better picture for you. I'll look at the components you mentioned and see if my wheel turns at all. My only hesitation with that is if I end up selling will I have a better return on a factory gun vs a semi custom one?

I've been debating for over a month now haha. I have all the accessories ready to go, just not the damn gun haha.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 4:50:12 PM EDT
[#3]
at $3k I would be looking at MPA PMR offerings over daniel defense.  If 6.5 cm is not a requirement, you can get a GAP Pinnacle production for $3k.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 9:04:27 PM EDT
[#4]
With a $3k budget you can build a hell of a rifle.

For example, this is my personal 6.5. Origin action, Proof Carbon barrel, TT Primary, and a secondhand KRG XRay (that I bought here from the EE).

All in not counting glass I think I’m at like $2300 or so.

PS, don’t judge the blanket pic. It’s dark out already.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 9:19:28 PM EDT
[#5]
With a $3k budget you can build a hell of a rifle.

For example, this is my personal 6.5. Origin action, Proof Carbon barrel, TT Primary, and a secondhand KRG XRay (that I bought here from the EE).

All in not counting glass I think I’m at like $2300 or so.

PS, don’t judge the blanket pic. It’s dark out already.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/402989/IMG_2334_jpeg-3132657.JPG
View Quote

That looks fantastic. Is she a shooter?
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 1:07:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Some form of custom action that takes prefits and drops in a 700 stock/chassis is your best option. Better resale than the DD and probably all around better setup.

If not concerned with resale then the Aero Solus is the way to go IMO. My 6.5comp model far exceeded my expectations.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 7:16:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: gsd1983] [#7]
Originally Posted By ErikTaylor:

That looks fantastic. Is she a shooter?
View Quote

Thank you. It will outshoot me all day long. Took about 50 rounds to shoot in the barrel. It performs well with 143gr ELD-X.

The other bonus is as you see it (even with the heavy Vortex 5-25) it is 11.2 lbs.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 7:38:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cone256] [#8]
Originally Posted By grn06rubi:
at $3k I would be looking at MPA PMR offerings over daniel defense.  If 6.5 cm is not a requirement, you can get a GAP Pinnacle production for $3k.
View Quote

Yeah if you're looking for a "factory" option then a Masterpiece Arms is where you should look.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 11:00:35 AM EDT
[#9]
I’d get a production rifle from MPA or GA Precision long before a Daniel Defense.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 8:07:11 PM EDT
[#10]
You can find the aero solus on sale for $1,600, mine shoots .3 and .4 with hand loads.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 8:24:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By jrh308:
You can find the aero solus on sale for $1,600, mine shoots .3 and .4 with hand loads.
View Quote

I heard a lot about those. I think I'm going a different route than the DD now! Seems like there's a lot better options for the same or not a lot more money. In some cases, even cheaper.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:11:58 AM EDT
[#12]
@ErikTaylor what did you decide on?
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:25:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Get an MPA PMR Gun. (in Short Action)  Its made up with all the bits and pieces you need and can be customized further the future.

https://masterpiecearms.com/cat/mpa-bolt-action/mpa-ba-rifles/pmr-rifles/

MPA Chassis  (Short Action Rem 700 Foot Print) fits essentially any SA clone

MPA Action by American Rifle Company

Bix N Andy Trigger

Lots of Caliber Choices.  You should drink the 6mm Kool Aid.

With this set up its easy to change calibers with a barrel swap.  Just order a prefit from MPA or your preferred gunsmith.

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:34:46 AM EDT
[#14]
@ErikTaylor what did you decide on?
View Quote

I still haven't decided on anything yet, it's actually been on the back burner. I'm down a couple of employees right how so have been working sun up to sun down the last couple of months.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:39:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By ErikTaylor:

I still haven't decided on anything yet, it's actually been on the back burner. I'm down a couple of employees right how so have been working sun up to sun down the last couple of months.
View Quote

Oof. Know the feeling, our rep just bailed on us a couple weeks ago. Sorry man.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top