Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/11/2022 9:33:47 AM EDT
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 9:41:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Check the stock torque and mounting,possibly even "skim bed" the mounting surface.

Composite stocks are 45 inch pound,wood is 15 inch pound,these are remington specs not sure about McMillian specs

Good luck.....somethings loose somewhere.
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 9:45:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 9:46:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 9:55:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 10:16:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 12:01:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Slug the bore.
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 12:46:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FedDC] [#7]
Inspect it.  

Starting at the muzzle...crown...muzzle device...torque spec on device...damage.  

Bore condition.  Inspect clearly, clean it properly, dry it.  

Chamber condition...same.

Bolt...factory?  Modified?  Headspace?  Lugs?  Lug seats?  Extractor/Ejector?  Handle timed correctly?  Extraction in line with specs?  

Action- Trued, square, mount is correct, bolt is not binding, bolt raceways are straight and not twisted, no odd mods for magazines?  

Stock...bedding, interface, free floated barrel?  

Ammo- Gold Medal?  

Link Posted: 7/11/2022 12:56:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Maybe it’s not the rifle . No insult op but I didn’t see in your post what kind of shooting you are doing .

Are you using a rest ? Prone ? Sand bag ?  These all make a huge difference from just free hand .

I got my son a shooting bench/ table  for Christmas just for this reason .

Good Luck .
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 2:00:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 2:26:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Sounds like the rifle needs a new barrel.  The only way to check that is with a borescope -- maybe a Stoney Point tool to see how far out the throat is.

I've never heard of a GA Precision gun that didn't shoot well.
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 2:41:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 4:19:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 3:18:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By blastermike:
As most of you know (or maybe you don't) my company buys PD trade in guns and equipment. About 8 months ago I received a a bunch of Remington 700 from an agency and decided to keep one. The one I kept is a 308 WIN Remington 700 action, GA Precision heavy barrel (24") on a McMillan A5 stock. It also has a badger scope base. Here is my issue, I have not been able to get a group with it. I have tried 5 different types/grains of ammo (all match), two different shooters and two different scopes (Leupold and Vortex) and still noting:) The scope base is tight and has no movement (torqued down). The barrel crown looks to be in great shape and the barrel itself looks relatively new (check with a bore scope). When it comes to shooting we are talking 8-10" groups at 100 yards, and when I say groups I mean a bunch of holes... There is no consistency to the holes; one may be low left and the next one dead center then the next high right. Same results with different shooter/optics, and ammo. Anyone have any ideas? I can take pictures. I also have no issue sending it off to a good gunsmith to have them check it out! I don't think it is the barrel but who knows..

Thanks for the help!

Peter
View Quote

Call or send it to GAP? They built it maybe they would like to look it over and diagnose it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top