Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By LoBrau:

Thus the term, dead ringer.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 15jonshoot:
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/sponsored/people-feared-being-buried-alive-so-much-they-invented-these-special-safety-coffins-180970627/

In 17th century England, it is documented that a woman by the name of Alice Blunden was buried alive. As the story goes, she was so knocked out after having imbibed a large quantity of poppy tea that a doctor holding a mirror to her nose and mouth pronounced her dead. (Tea made from dried, unwashed seed pods would have contained morphine and codeine, which are sedatives.) Her family quickly made arrangements for her burial, but two days after she was laid in the ground, children playing near her grave heard noises. Their school master went to check the gravesite for himself. He found that Blunden was still alive, but it took another day to exhume her. She was so close to death that she was returned to her grave, where a guard stood by before deserting his post. The next morning, she was found dead, but only after struggling to free herself once more.
-------------------------
There were a series of inventions in the 19th century, which would aid someone, who was buried alive, to escape, breathe and signal for help.

Patent No. 81,437 granted to Franz Vester on August 25, 1868 for an “Improved Burial-Case”

The tomb is equipped with a number of features including an air inlet (F), a ladder (H) and a bell (I) so that the person, upon waking, could save himself. “If too weak to ascend by the ladder, he can ring the bell, giving the desired alarm for help, and thus save himself from premature death by being buried alive,” the patent explains.
Much more on coffins in the article.

Thus not. The term derives from horse racing.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 7:45:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 7:47:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 8:23:37 PM EDT
[#4]
How long do you think that TV will last hanging right over the grill that you don't have room to open?  How long will it take you to get tired of the fact you have to climb over the bar to get in there?  It doesn't appear there is a faucet on that sink, although one of the weird-shaped things behind it could be one.

I'm going with AI generated garbage, like 90% of the internet currently.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 8:42:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Years ago, there were some problems with the black-water tanks on airplanes: at high altitudes/low pressure, the effluent could be sucked out, whereupon it would freeze to the skin of the plane. When enough built up, it could break free and fall to the ground. Happening at a time that Intercontinental Ballistic Missiles were in the news, some wag noted that we were all under threat of icy BMs

Link Posted: 4/3/2024 8:43:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By bodybagger:

Meat for gyros and in Mexico, al pastor is traditionally packed like that on a vertical spit and roasted. But this pic demonstrates what is probably a really common to that culture but unappetizing to us packing practice.
View Quote

Ah... I figured it was something that would make me lose my appetite.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 10:42:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By FrankSymptoms:

WTF are these guys doing? Never mind using the ceiling fan as support.
View All Quotes

WTF are these guys doing? Never mind using the ceiling fan as support.

They are seasoning the meat with all the stuff attached to the ceiling fan blades.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 9:21:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bollocks44] [#8]
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 10:06:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Bollocks44:
https://x.com/volcaholic1/status/1775576733904752998
Twitter hotlink won’t work. A dashcam video from the M7.4 earthquake in Taiwan.
View Quote

Dayum.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 6:21:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FrankSymptoms] [#10]
THIS is the quality of men and women in American uniform. This is what we aspire to be... if we are worth a shit.

From Quora.com.

What is an outrageous thing that Navy SEALs do?
Hard to pick one. But I guess for me, it is the idea that a civilian hostage can be somewhere in the middle of nowhere, held by bad guys that know the local terrain and are keeping on the move and off the grid.

And that our intelligence and special operations communities can find them, and set wheels in motion resulting in a door getting kicked in on a remote mountainside hut or desert encampment in the middle of the night by operators who would probably not get a second glance if you passed them in a grocery store. That they can reach across the world with pinpoint precision and take an innocent hostage home.

More than once, the rescued tell of operators shielding them with their own bodies until the bullets stop flying. Sometimes, operators die on these missions.

In a world of military actions that generate controversy for some (drone strikes, collateral damage, etc), civilian non-combatant hostage rescue missions have a certain level of purity, especially when we’re talking about aid workers just trying to help the local populace - sometimes at great personal risk.

Jessica Buchanan falls into that category. She was kidnapped by Somali bandits in 2011 and held for 93 days. Her rescuers parachuted in to the desert under cover of darkness and silently approached her captors.

I think her own words say it best (from a CBS interview):

"She was on a mat, trying to sleep when she heard a faint scratching noise. One of the bandits she nicknamed "Helper" heard it too.

Jessica Buchanan: And then I see this look of just sheer terror on Helper's face. And then all of the sudden it's just this eruption of gunfire. And I think, "OK, well this is it. This really is truly the end." And I cover up with my blanket again, and I just start saying, "Oh god, oh god, oh god." And I just remember thinking, or maybe I'm saying out loud, like, "I cannot survive this."

She thought she was being taken by a rival group, maybe al Shabaab the Islamic extremists who would surely kill her.

Jessica Buchanan: And then all of the sudden, I feel all these hands on me. Roughly grabbing at me. And I try to protect myself, and I pull the blanket closer on top of me. And then I hear my name. But it's not a Somali accent, it's an American accent. And I can't compute. Like I can't understand that somebody with an American accent knows my name. And they say, "Jessica we're with the American military. We're here to take you home, and you're safe." I pull the blanket down from my face and all I see is black.  Black masks, black sky and all I can say over and over is, "You're American? You're Americans? I don't understand, you're American." Thinking, how did you get here? And I'm still alive, and they ask me where my shoes are and I don't know. And one of them picked me up and starts running. He runs for several minutes and puts me down on the ground. And I'm still asking who these Americans are? I don't understand who they are and I don't understand what they've done. And then they identify themselves, and that they knew I was very sick. And they have medicine and they have water, they have food. And they've come to take me home. At one point I think they thought they heard something. I don't know this group of men who's risked their life for me already asks me to lie down on the ground because they're concerned that there might be someone out there. And then they make a circle around me. And then they lie down on top of me. To protect me. And we lay like that until the helicopters come in.

Scott Pelley: When all of those SEALs laid down on top of you, you were the most important thing in the world for them?

Jessica Buchanan: It's really hard to comprehend.

Scott Pelley: They were gonna take a bullet for you?

Jessica Buchanan: Uh huh (affirm). And they are so kind and so gentle. And they are trying to assist me to get the the helicopter, but I think I've been out here for months, I can run to this helicopter myself. And so I just break away and I just take off running through the scrub, through the bush, and I throw myself onto that helicopter and push myself up against the wall. And I don't start breathing until we actually lift up off the ground.

Jessica Buchanan: And they hand me an American flag that's folded.

Scott Pelley: What did you think of that?

Jessica Buchanan: I just started to cry. At that point in time I have never in my life been so proud and so very happy to be an American.

eta It's kinda dusty in here.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 7:51:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Years ago, there were some problems with the black-water tanks on airplanes: at high altitudes/low pressure, the effluent could be sucked out, whereupon it would freeze to the skin of the plane. When enough built up, it could break free and fall to the ground. Happening at a time that Intercontinental Ballistic Missiles were in the news, some wag noted that we were all under threat of icy BMs

View Quote

Blue ice!
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 8:17:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Restoration of a .25 caliber Colt pocket pistol.

Restoration of a Seized up 1913 Colt Vest Pocket, (With test firing) #restoration

(I know nothing else about this video.)
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 8:20:31 PM EDT
[#13]
THIS is the quality of men and women in American uniform. This is what we aspire to be... if we are worth a shit.

From Quora.com.

Hard to pick one. But I guess for me, it is the idea that a civilian hostage can be somewhere in the middle of nowhere, held by bad guys that know the local terrain and are keeping on the move and off the grid.

And that our intelligence and special operations communities can find them, and set wheels in motion resulting in a door getting kicked in on a remote mountainside hut or desert encampment in the middle of the night by operators who would probably not get a second glance if you passed them in a grocery store. That they can reach across the world with pinpoint precision and take an innocent hostage home.

More than once, the rescued tell of operators shielding them with their own bodies until the bullets stop flying. Sometimes, operators die on these missions.

In a world of military actions that generate controversy for some (drone strikes, collateral damage, etc), civilian non-combatant hostage rescue missions have a certain level of purity, especially when we’re talking about aid workers just trying to help the local populace - sometimes at great personal risk.

Jessica Buchanan falls into that category. She was kidnapped by Somali bandits in 2011 and held for 93 days. Her rescuers parachuted in to the desert under cover of darkness and silently approached her captors.

"She was on a mat, trying to sleep when she heard a faint scratching noise. One of the bandits she nicknamed "Helper" heard it too.

Jessica Buchanan: And then I see this look of just sheer terror on Helper's face. And then all of the sudden it's just this eruption of gunfire. And I think, "OK, well this is it. This really is truly the end." And I cover up with my blanket again, and I just start saying, "Oh god, oh god, oh god." And I just remember thinking, or maybe I'm saying out loud, like, "I cannot survive this."

She thought she was being taken by a rival group, maybe al Shabaab the Islamic extremists who would surely kill her.

Jessica Buchanan: And then all of the sudden, I feel all these hands on me. Roughly grabbing at me. And I try to protect myself, and I pull the blanket closer on top of me. And then I hear my name. But it's not a Somali accent, it's an American accent. And I can't compute. Like I can't understand that somebody with an American accent knows my name. And they say, "Jessica we're with the American military. We're here to take you home, and you're safe." I pull the blanket down from my face and all I see is black.  Black masks, black sky and all I can say over and over is, "You're American? You're Americans? I don't understand, you're American." Thinking, how did you get here? And I'm still alive, and they ask me where my shoes are and I don't know. And one of them picked me up and starts running. He runs for several minutes and puts me down on the ground. And I'm still asking who these Americans are? I don't understand who they are and I don't understand what they've done. And then they identify themselves, and that they knew I was very sick. And they have medicine and they have water, they have food. And they've come to take me home. At one point I think they thought they heard something. I don't know this group of men who's risked their life for me already asks me to lie down on the ground because they're concerned that there might be someone out there. And then they make a circle around me. And then they lie down on top of me. To protect me. And we lay like that until the helicopters come in.

Scott Pelley: When all of those SEALs laid down on top of you, you were the most important thing in the world for them?

Jessica Buchanan: Uh huh (affirm). And they are so kind and so gentle. And they are trying to assist me to get the the helicopter, but I think I've been out here for months, I can run to this helicopter myself. And so I just break away and I just take off running through the scrub, through the bush, and I throw myself onto that helicopter and push myself up against the wall. And I don't start breathing until we actually lift up off the ground.

Jessica Buchanan: I just started to cry. At that point in time I have never in my life been so proud and so very happy to be an American.
https://www.publishedreporter.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/JessBuchanan.png
View Quote

This movie gets a lot of hate, but this scene seems appropriate:

Link Posted: 4/6/2024 9:47:44 PM EDT
[#14]

From Quora.com.

https://www.publishedreporter.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/JessBuchanan.png
View Quote

Thanks for that!
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 6:04:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Leisure_Shoot] [#15]
Someone looking at houses in Chicago took this pic from a house they viewed.

Link Posted: 4/7/2024 6:23:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Chris Farley and his dad in the 1990's at a beach on Lake Michigan.

Link Posted: 4/7/2024 6:46:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ARHank] [#17]
This is a pretty cool thread.

Link Posted: 4/8/2024 12:12:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Leisure_Shoot:
Someone looking at houses in Chicago took this pic from a house they viewed.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/46582/bux1mapn-3181387.jpg
View Quote

When you don't have room for a bed and a sex swing... Improvise, adapt, overcome.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 12:08:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Leisure_Shoot] [#19]
The Ghost Fleet of Mallows Bay, located in Maryland, USA.
It is here that hundreds of ships were sunk, 230 alone by the United States Shipping Board Merchant Fleet Corporation, with more than 100 of the vessels being wooden steamships, part of a fleet built to cross the Atlantic during World War I.  
Because they were built of wood, most of these ships were already obsolete by the end of the war, and the U.S. Navy did not want them due to high storage costs.  They were sold to the Western Marine & Salvage Company and moved to the Potomac River in Virginia, and eventually towed to Mallows Bay in 1925. The company went bankrupt and the ships were burned where they lay, only their hulls remain.
Remnants of those ships and many others, some dating back to the late 1700s, also lie there, including an early 1900s four-masted schooner, and many other vessels from the 19th and early 20th centuries.
Article and photos Deirdre Lynn  

call me skeptical, but I had to double check this is real....

Link Posted: 4/9/2024 7:44:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Edit by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 6:31:19 AM EDT
[#21]
View Quote

That's really cool. Nice work.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 6:59:01 AM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

I stole yer pic.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 9:46:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FredMan] [#23]
Originally Posted By zach_:

I stole yer pic.
View Quote

Edit by FredMan, on Flickr

Clouds screwed me on the 24mm, 5-minute interval immediately after max coverage.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 1:33:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 5:20:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 7:41:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By BikerNut:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BikerNut:
Originally Posted By 15jonshoot:
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/sponsored/people-feared-being-buried-alive-so-much-they-invented-these-special-safety-coffins-180970627/

In 17th century England, it is documented that a woman by the name of Alice Blunden was buried alive. As the story goes, she was so knocked out after having imbibed a large quantity of poppy tea that a doctor holding a mirror to her nose and mouth pronounced her dead. (Tea made from dried, unwashed seed pods would have contained morphine and codeine, which are sedatives.) Her family quickly made arrangements for her burial, but two days after she was laid in the ground, children playing near her grave heard noises. Their school master went to check the gravesite for himself. He found that Blunden was still alive, but it took another day to exhume her. She was so close to death that she was returned to her grave, where a guard stood by before deserting his post. The next morning, she was found dead, but only after struggling to free herself once more.
-------------------------
There were a series of inventions in the 19th century, which would aid someone, who was buried alive, to escape, breathe and signal for help.

Patent No. 81,437 granted to Franz Vester on August 25, 1868 for an “Improved Burial-Case”

The tomb is equipped with a number of features including an air inlet (F), a ladder (H) and a bell (I) so that the person, upon waking, could save himself. “If too weak to ascend by the ladder, he can ring the bell, giving the desired alarm for help, and thus save himself from premature death by being buried alive,” the patent explains.
Much more on coffins in the article.

Well shit, you're correct. Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 2:29:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Star Wars - 1950's Super Panavision 70
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 7:13:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Star Wars: The Phantom Menace - 1950's Super Panavision 70
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 10:31:46 PM EDT
[#29]
You know the story here:

Link Posted: 4/13/2024 11:39:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By M1907Sling:
You know the story here:

https://i.imgur.com/aepBN81.jpeg
View Quote
I'll take "artists who get so wrapped up in the extraneous details that it detracts from the subject of the art" for $3.50, Alex
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 12:28:52 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By M1907Sling:
You know the story here:

https://i.imgur.com/aepBN81.jpeg
View Quote

It's pronounced...Frahnken...steen.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 6:12:24 PM EDT
[#32]

Link Posted: 4/14/2024 6:15:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 6:50:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 6:57:00 PM EDT
[#35]

Link Posted: 4/14/2024 7:34:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:13:54 PM EDT
[#37]
that's his wife

Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:22:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: joeIII223] [#38]
[tweet]https://x.com/crazyclipsonly/status/1779625274247725385[/tweet]
https://x.com/crazyclipsonly/status/1779625274247725385

I fail at submitting X
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:48:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By joeIII223:

I fail at submitting X
View Quote

Checks title.

Ya. That definitely falls under WTF.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 11:05:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By CajunMojo:

Checks title.

View All Quotes

I fail at submitting X

Checks title.

Watched it twice

Dayum
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:19:12 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:22:16 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By craig24680:

Watched it twice

Dayum
View All Quotes

I fail at submitting X

Checks title.

Watched it twice

Dayum

Sent link to a couple people and one found this article

https://www.wmbfnews.com/2024/03/14/good-samaritan-dies-after-attempting-stop-carjacking-lumberton/

Not sure if related
But sure seems like it
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:28:59 AM EDT
[#43]

https://www.wmbfnews.com/2024/03/14/good-samaritan-dies-after-attempting-stop-carjacking-lumberton/

Not sure if related
But sure seems like it
View All Quotes

I fail at submitting X

Checks title.

Watched it twice

Dayum

Not sure if related
But sure seems like it

Yup. Found this after I saw your post. Sad.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/Armed-Good-Samaritan-fatally-hit-by-truck-after-trying-to-stop-carjacker-in-Lumberton-NC/5-2719486/
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 1:48:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 2:51:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 6:04:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: zach_] [#46]

Watched it twice

Dayum
View Quote

Was a w...
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:20:43 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:47:05 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By ENGCPT:

Put a bunch on a c17 and push them and a few extra batteries out the back.  Excellent SF insertion/extraction vehicle.

I wonder how far it can fly in 20 minutes.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ENGCPT:
Originally Posted By Ajek:

E-VTOL/quadcopter personal craft with 20 min battery life (powered by Tesla battery). Fun toy for people with more money than sense to kill themselves with.

Put a bunch on a c17 and push them and a few extra batteries out the back.  Excellent SF insertion/extraction vehicle.

I wonder how far it can fly in 20 minutes.

All the way to the crash site!
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:37:35 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:56:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 156
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top