Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 8
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:39:47 PM EDT
[#1]
OP probably likes letting his weeds grow so it hides all the old cars and other crap he collects in his yard. Glad he’s not my neighbor.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:40:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DFARM:
Who decided on grass?

Why not some other ground cover that only gets a couple inches tall? Maybe some kind of clover?

Straight moss would be awesome, like shag carpet. Lol
View Quote

I used to rent a house that had a sizable clover patch in the front yard. Looked pretty cool. Always thought if I end up buying this place I'll rip up all the grass and cover the whole yard in clovers.

Didn't end up buying it though.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:44:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I hate mowing.

Put cows on it and let them graze it down
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:45:02 PM EDT
[#4]
If we are gonna be mowing anything it's hay to put up for the winter.

Everyone else is a savage to mow grass and leave it to waste.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:45:07 PM EDT
[#5]
2 hours to mow? Humble brag?

I mow 1.5 acres and it doesn't take 1 hour.

Maybe you're doing it wrong?
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:45:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Nickel_Plated:

I used to rent a house that had a sizable clover patch in the front yard. Looked pretty cool. Always thought if I end up buying this place I'll rip up all the grass and cover the whole yard in clovers.

Didn't end up buying it though.
View Quote
We have a lot of clovers. Unfortunately, we also have a lot of crab grass. Because I hate grass anyway, I just don't care enough to try to get rid of it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:46:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jos51700] [#7]
Mowing is a hygiene thing.

Cuts WAY down on pestilence, and in the old days, helped you avoid stuff like hook worm when you could identify shit piles and steer clear
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:47:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I hate yard work so I pay someone to mow. I'm considering the returns to nature approach for my yard.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:49:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By JustinU235:
I hate yard work so I pay someone to mow. I'm considering the returns to nature approach for my yard.
View Quote

Cliffs: Stop being poor?
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:51:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:51:58 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't hate having a lawn, but we like doing other stuff in the summer.  Travel, ride bikes, kayaks, camp, shoot, etc.

Mowing a yard is just an impediment to doing the fun stuff we like to do.

I can't imagine wanting acres of just grass to maintain.  Fuck that, I have a life.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:54:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CouncilOfDave] [#12]
I hate mowing, because it's always an annoying balancing act in the spring between finding time when it isn't raining. Today it was acting like it would start raining at any moment, and I was trying to get it done before then. I'll do it again next weekend, probably. I have other shit I should be doing.

I refuse to mow the entire property, and only get the half around the house/drive/shop. I don't live in the suburbs so, if I don't care, it won't be bothering anyone else.

Later in the year it'll stop growing once it hits 100* and stops raining. I'll hit the rest of it then.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:55:30 PM EDT
[#13]
I love having a nice clean yard.  And when I'm finished mowing, edging, and weedeating, I can look at it with the pride of a job well done.  It's easy to see where my yard stops and my neighbor's yard begins.  

Not to mention the current nationwide rash of house squatters.  An overgrown lawn is a sure sign that the house is vacant and can be broken into, burgled, and/or squatted in.  And why go out of your way to cut that kind of trouble?

Just keep your lawn neat, and all those other problems go away.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:55:52 PM EDT
[#14]
I can understand not letting your yard turn into a jungle in town.

I you have land, I don't see why you can't let it go.

Why cut it?  I don't run a golf course.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:58:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Duke117] [#15]
OP’s lawn.
Attachment Attached File

Random internet photo similar to my lawn.
I take pride in making my turf look like a golf course.
Attachment Attached File

The choice is yours…
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:00:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Macchina:
Call me a greenie or a lazy Millennial but why the fuck are we still all out mowing our lawns!?
Mowed lawns were invented by the English to demonstrate how much extra money they had!  We're not wearing powdered wigs or bleeding with leeches anymore, why mow?

It takes a couple hours out of my week for no reason.
Harms almost all wildlife, especially pollinators.
Costs money for gas, oil, parts, new mower every decade.
Does absolutely zero good aside from it looks a certain way people decided it should look.

I have a few paths at my property up north I mow (we have thorny raspberry everywhere that will grow up if we don't) but it's otherwise natural fields and it's awesome.  Wildlife everywhere, honey bees, monarch butterflies on the milkweed, etc.

For what?  I get we have to mow a ton of stuff, schools, playgrounds, ball fields, etc and that's fine because it serves a purpose.
But why can't we normalize just knocking down the lawn once or twice a year?
I've literally gotten crazy voicemails from my cranky neighbor once when we had our kid and didn't have time to mow for almost 3 weeks.  You'd have thought the house was on fire for how worked up he was about a tall lawn.
View Quote

Just kill it and put down Turf or a Rock Garden.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:01:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By SAINTDANIEL:
I have nothing but time and money, i will keep my grass,i have acres of woods too.

https://i.postimg.cc/L4z9KZHd/20230427-153959.jpg
View Quote

Beautiful.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:03:08 AM EDT
[#18]
There are plenty of alternatives to grass, but the folks who insist on legislating everything have made them illegal anyway most people live.  I've got better things to spend my time on, so I just hire it out.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:03:28 AM EDT
[#19]
I enjoy it.  I would probably enjoy it more with a zero-turn, but when I have that kind of money I end up buying something fun…
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:05:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By onthebreeze:
-Fire risk is the big one
-Rodents
-Insect infestations
-Fucking stickers and sandburrs

It is a lot harder to maintain a house if it's surrounded by 3 feet of grass and weeds. Ever heard of chiggers? Ticks?
View Quote

I absolutely hate mowing. But the above is true.

Also keep the spiders, snakes, mice, rats, and flees at bay. I would think it could also help prevent termites in the right circumstances.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:10:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Raised beds, pathways,ponds,gazebo,sitting areas,fire pit,outside kitchen,ham shack,soon to be climate controlled reloading shed,ground cover. Plants bushes. About an hour a week walk through for up keep. Don't miss the hour or it turns into 4 the second week.

Grass what grass
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:11:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Grass is the worst. If left uncut it looks trashy, but the yards that look like a golf course are tacky as hell. Sand or rock yards are superior.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:13:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: drfroglegs] [#23]
Snakes and ticks.

I've spent over $7k the last 6 years trying to get grass to grow in my yard and I've ultimately just said fuck it.

So I cut the weeds every 2 weeks go keep the snakes and ticks at bay for the kids and dog.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:13:30 AM EDT
[#24]
I love the brown/dead season of grass.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:15:05 AM EDT
[#25]
I agree with op. Grass is one of the dumbest things ever. As a kid I remember my dad and neighbor fighting over how to maintain a lawn and wondering who the hell cares. Current house has dry land scape in front, only a rose bush, dragon fruit cactus and two pineapple plants. Back is a 15x15 patch of grass, garden beds, a Japanese maple, some flowers and a mint and oregano bush in an unused spot against the fence. Only reason I keep the grass is so my kid can play in it when he gets older.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:15:08 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Ebolinux:

I absolutely hate mowing. But the above is true.

Also keep the spiders, snakes, mice, rats, and flees at bay. I would think it could also help prevent termites in the right circumstances.
View Quote

It doesn’t seem to keep the wolf spiders away.  I also see a lot of ringneck snakes in the middle of the yard when I’m mowing.  I pick them up and Uber them over to a wood pile.

Last summer there was a Coachwhip in the middle of my yard.  That sucker turned his head around and saw me then took off faster than any snake I’ve ever seen In my life.  It was amazing how fast he was.  And it was the heat of the day…high 90’s.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:15:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Matanzas:
Grass is the worst. If left uncut it looks trashy, but the yards that look like a golf course are tacky as hell. Sand or rock yards are superior.
View Quote

So to be clear… a beautifully manicured lawn is tacky but sand and rocks are not?
Holy fuck.. that’s a hot take I didn’t see coming
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:15:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Lawns are gay.

Ticks are way gayer though.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:16:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: killstick_engaged] [#29]
Originally Posted By Macchina:
Call me a greenie or a lazy Millennial but why the fuck are we still all out mowing our lawns!?
Mowed lawns were invented by the English to demonstrate how much extra money they had!  We're not wearing powdered wigs or bleeding with leeches anymore, why mow?

It takes a couple hours out of my week for no reason.
Harms almost all wildlife, especially pollinators.
Costs money for gas, oil, parts, new mower every decade.
Does absolutely zero good aside from it looks a certain way people decided it should look.

I have a few paths at my property up north I mow (we have thorny raspberry everywhere that will grow up if we don't) but it's otherwise natural fields and it's awesome.  Wildlife everywhere, honey bees, monarch butterflies on the milkweed, etc.

For what?  I get we have to mow a ton of stuff, schools, playgrounds, ball fields, etc and that's fine because it serves a purpose.
But why can't we normalize just knocking down the lawn once or twice a year?
I've literally gotten crazy voicemails from my cranky neighbor once when we had our kid and didn't have time to mow for almost 3 weeks.  You'd have thought the house was on fire for how worked up he was about a tall lawn.
View Quote

Tldr

"I mow my own lawn not because I enjoy I'm it, but because I'm poor"
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:26:17 AM EDT
[#30]
Attachment Attached File

Before I took over the mowing duties.  This is what OP’s lawn will turn into.🤣🤣

Attachment Attached File

This is the only “lawn” part of the property we maintain actually.  Mostly to keep fire danger down.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:26:18 AM EDT
[#31]
I support the OP’s Manifesto!

I mow my pitiful excuse for a lawn when it gets to tall to see the little dog.

My Sears Craftsman riding mower was bought new at a Sears store at the mall 20+ years ago. It’s old & weathered, but low mileage!
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:26:30 AM EDT
[#32]
How big is OP's lawn , if it takes a couple of hours to mow? I can now my 1 acre lawn in about 45 minutes.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:32:13 AM EDT
[#33]
I had to do some land reclamation when I bought my place.  I had to cut saplings and brush, burn it, and pull roots and stumps with my pickup.  I planted grass and keep it mowed.  IMO, mowing a lawn or brush hogging a field is the best way to maintain open land.  Mowing my hillside acre with a riding mower takes about 25 minutes.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:33:46 AM EDT
[#34]
I used to think as you do. Then I moved to a place with ticks.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:36:57 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By MikeJGA:
How big is OP's lawn , if it takes a couple of hours to mow? I can now my 1 acre lawn in about 45 minutes.
View Quote
Mowing is the easy part, but I can easily spend a couple hours on the lawn when edging and weed whacking is accounted for too.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:39:06 AM EDT
[#36]
Im with you OP. I hate wasting time, effort, and water on my lawn. I live in the fucking desert. I'm gonna do a rock garden soon with some raised planters.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:39:14 AM EDT
[#37]
To Mow or not to Mow: History and Lawn Care

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:39:59 AM EDT
[#38]
I pay a teenager $20 to cut mine.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:41:14 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:46:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jozsi] [#40]
I have a 10 acre farm.

I have 3 riding mowers with 20 to 24 HP engines. One Cub Cadet, One Troy, and One Craftsman. All average 42" to 48" blade cuts.

I need them and I need to do it. It's therapeutic.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Plus at the end of the other side is my berm and valley for my shooting range.

I need it cleared for the 200 yards.

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:46:59 AM EDT
[#41]
Shit, if I had it good financially......I would quit my job and convert my entire yard into an extensive garden.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:49:18 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:51:05 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By odiedodi:
We have a lot of clovers. Unfortunately, we also have a lot of crab grass. Because I hate grass anyway, I just don't care enough to try to get rid of it.
View Quote

"You have crab grass !!"  

Lmfao remember that commercial ?
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:55:39 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Dano556x45mm:
Shit, if I had it good financially......I would quit my job and convert my entire yard into an extensive garden.
View Quote

I'd plant a lot of trees and live in a forest.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:03:39 AM EDT
[#45]
Mowing is fun if you have a sense of humor and live at the end of a runway.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:08:01 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By millfire517:
I mow mine to help keep the rodents at bay
View Quote

I mow mine so that my neighbor can enjoy my buff bod in shorts and a tank top.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:10:19 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:13:13 AM EDT
[#48]
The World's Fastest Indian - Don't Forget To Mow You Lawns Will You
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:28:58 AM EDT
[#49]
I hate mowing too.

Grass is a high maintenance weed.

I get how some guys like it though, because they get to zone out for a bit mowing the lawn.

My next mower will be a robot.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:12:48 AM EDT
[#50]

That looks pretty sir!  On my last trip to Georgia, I felt a bit claustrophobic.  Too many tall trees blocking the sky.  Just not used to it.  My wife felt the same.
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top