Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:31:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Our only warning will be when someone here IVO Whitman posts about an unscheduled elephant walk
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:34:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By CMSENGINE:
I am not worried. In elementary school in the 60's we were highly trained to DUCK and COVER.
View Quote
So, if there is a credible threat of nuclear war and you are out waterfowl hunting...  What is your highly trained decision if someone says "duck!"
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:42:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By MATTINFAIRBORN:
So, if there is a credible threat of nuclear war and you are out waterfowl hunting...  What is your highly trained decision if someone says "duck!"
View Quote

I'll tell you what this means Norm, no size restrictions and screw the limit!!
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:43:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By jackthom8:
there's a good movie about that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5D36Haa8L0
View Quote

Thanks for posting this.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:07:10 PM EDT
[#5]
We don't count.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:00:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By M1Zeppelin:

When I’m running around in my road warrior leather, wearing Abraham Lincoln’s top hat and shooting super mutants in the face with his repeater, I promise to put you down mercifully if you’re a feral ghoul.

View Quote

That's some sigline material right there!
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:13:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By BM1455:
I'll just rush to the store and get some microwave popcorn because that might be all I have time to eat.
View Quote

That reminds me of something I read once that said there will be a certain radius from ground zero where all of the frozen pizzas in the grocery stores will be cooked to perfection.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:53:34 PM EDT
[#8]
I have no idea.
I'm screwed where I'm at so it's a moot point for me.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:56:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Tarkan:
Another GD nuclear war thread.

Since 1945, when I guess before that it was cool to be allied with Soviet Russia, but then it wasn't, the US and USSR has literally been shooting down each others military aircraft, fighting proxy wars, etc..etc..etc.. against each other, and no nukes have flown.

2024 - 1945 = 78 years of being in a huge drama fest. No one has launched a nuke.

I know...I know...You grew up watching Panic in Year Zero, and then enlisted in the 80s and got really bummed out when you defended Keesler's main gate from the commie horde and nothing happened, and have the entire script of Red Dawn in your brain, but..yeah.

No one is going to nuke anyone. Sorry. Which, if you're disappointed about that, should really tell you something about yourself.
View Quote

Riveting 6th post.

Welcome to the site, fellow gun enthusiast
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 12:37:08 AM EDT
[#10]
BARKING! TSWIFT VAPORIZED IN NUCLEAR ATTACK
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 8:30:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By VACaver:
Who's going to complain if they don't sound the warning?
View Quote

Post Apocalypse Zombie Mutant Karens.

You didn't really think mutual nuclear destruction would be enough to kill those off, did you?  

They're like cockroaches...
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 8:35:44 AM EDT
[#12]
The vaulties will let us die.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 6:23:15 PM EDT
[#13]
The only warning I'd ever get is probably a train of C17s hauling ass out of JBLM and flying over my house as they scramble to their assigned loiter areas over the Pacific to await their possible return
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 6:25:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By couchlord:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By couchlord:
Originally Posted By MATTINFAIRBORN:

Excellent reference sir.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 6:53:19 PM EDT
[#15]
The sons of Bitches don't give a fuck about us now, what makes you think they will care when the nukes are dropping.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:02:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Timbo:
You won't hear anything and all the VIP's will already be in Mount Weather.

We're little people.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:06:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Twitter will beat the USG by 15 minutes.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:10:40 PM EDT
[#18]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Dru:
Originally Posted By WhiteBuffalo:
If it happens, I hope it's detonated 10 feet above my head. Fuck this spinning rock.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/9407/Screenshot_2018-09-29-21-03-10_3_png-3209838.JPG

You got a news letter?
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:14:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Putin appoints new right hand man ‘Professor Doomsday’ who says West should be nuked NOW

Sergei Karaganov has called on his president to nuke the West instantly in order for Russia to gain victory in the war with Ukraine and against Nato

Continued
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 7:26:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By realwar:
Putin appoints new right hand man ‘Professor Doomsday’ who says West should be nuked NOW

https://www.thesun.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2024/05/000-non-governmental-groups-past-824958116.jpg?w=1440

Sergei Karaganov has called on his president to nuke the West instantly in order for Russia to gain victory in the war with Ukraine and against Nato

Continued
View Quote

Sodom and Gomorrah caught hellfire for their depravity too.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 7:34:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By TheAvatar9265ft:

Kings Bay GA is our Atlantic SSBN port.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TheAvatar9265ft:
Originally Posted By Dru:

Jacksonville, Gainesville... Whoooooooo?

Florida?

Kings Bay GA is our Atlantic SSBN port.

I know during the cold war.... My child/teenage years.... I was born and raised in Gainesville (florida).... The Gainesville newspaper put out an article about how Gainesville would get a nuke, because of the size of the air port and its abilities to handle military aircraft, refueling, etc.... Can't remember specifics as this was decades ago.

Why I was inquiring about Gainesville....  I know Jacksonville has military assets, etc....
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 7:48:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Alien] [#22]
Originally Posted By Tygon:
The only way you will find out is when you have the 1st detonation and someone posted it to Twitter/X. Or maybe you are by a Minute man base,
and you see them launch all the missles.

By then it's to late. That means a full scale attack is in progress.

A 20 to 30 minute notice won't help at all from a sub launch from off the either coast. You only have 6 to 8 minutes.

Read  

Nuclear War by Annie Jacobsen
View Quote
No thank you. JFC that woman is insufferable and a sensationalist crackpot (have a look at her extra terrestrial claims). Good God I wanted to stab myself in the ears listening to her on the Lex Friedman podcast. She doesn't even know how to say NORAD but she's a supposed nuclear weapons EXPERT. Listening to her talk about nuclear war was like listening to a supposed expert from The Brady Campaign or Moms Against Guns to convince people that guns are evil and we need to get rid of them. Pure sensationalism designed to get us to disarm (which our enemies won't do). I see her as a dangerous idiot that easily influences ignorant people with her supposed smooth voice.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 8:14:24 AM EDT
[#23]
I'm fucked.  MacDill AFB is close enough to matter.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 9:39:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Ewald:
The "government" would sound alerts because middle level managers in Emergency Management have spent their entire lives waiting to sound said alerts.

Higher level managers will want to cover their rear ends.  They fear the "Why didn't you respond earlier?" questions when the potential nuclear Apocalypse ends up only being New York City.  In my Midwestern home town they sounded the tornado sirens on 911 at about 8:30 AM.

As for top level .gov people faking something while they take cover...

As children of the Cold War, we were told it would take 30 minutes for an ICBM from Russia to reach American soil.  Submarine launched nukes would take much less time.

Do you seriously believe Biden and company could come up with any kind of comprehensive plan in 30 minutes or less?

View Quote

I’d imagine all sorts of plans have already been developed.

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 8:49:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Tarkan:
Another GD nuclear war thread.

Since 1945, when I guess before that it was cool to be allied with Soviet Russia, but then it wasn't, the US and USSR has literally been shooting down each others military aircraft, fighting proxy wars, etc..etc..etc.. against each other, and no nukes have flown.

2024 - 1945 = 78 years of being in a huge drama fest. No one has launched a nuke.

I know...I know...You grew up watching Panic in Year Zero, and then enlisted in the 80s and got really bummed out when you defended Keesler's main gate from the commie horde and nothing happened, and have the entire script of Red Dawn in your brain, but..yeah.

No one is going to nuke anyone. Sorry. Which, if you're disappointed about that, should really tell you something about yourself.
View Quote

Not to say your theory of 74 years with no nukes is wrong per se, but there are what 10 countries
That have them? And other than Russian, and north Korea ,  Pakistan , I’m confident that they won’t be “relaeased wildly” they are all  well controlled with multiple people having “stop” switches on their computers preventing launches . (North Korea has a catapult  so no switch).  

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 9:05:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By mancat:
The only warning I'd ever get is probably a train of C17s hauling ass out of JBLM and flying over my house as they scramble to their assigned loiter areas over the Pacific to await their possible return
View Quote

???  Shrug.  What was the question again?  

Bangor/Bremerton is going to have a hard time.  As will Jim Creek, weirdly enough.  (No one ever picks that place.  Or Cutler.)

If we're all going to die, it's not going to be by mushrooms.  It'll be bugs.  Sorry.  Guess we better reset all of those "How can I dlsinfect my mail?," threads from a few years ago.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 9:06:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By atavistic:
Twitter will beat the USG by 15 minutes.
View Quote

Broke the bin Laden raid, IIRC.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 9:07:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By odiedodi:
Yep. There'd barely be any time to panic in the grand scheme. There's nowhere to go in Florida so I'd just be waiting to die.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FreefallRet:
The alert will go out, but a 20-30 min heads up won't make much difference.
Yep. There'd barely be any time to panic in the grand scheme. There's nowhere to go in Florida so I'd just be waiting to die.

Idk, with a full 30 minutes of warning I could be approximately 15 miles offshore by the time anything landed. That seems pretty safe as far as staying out of a blast radius.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 9:28:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By networkguru:
Funny we always assume it will be a russian first strike.
And not us.

As to how people would respond?
I think a lot of people will act like that chick did on the rooftop in Independence Day.
View Quote

Hold up a banner saying “nukes welcome” while probably hoping they disappear into the fireball?
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 9:40:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By cavedog:

My thoughts too.

I’m close enough to MacDill AFB to get taken out by the initial blast. I’d rather not know it was coming.
View Quote

Yeah I was in south Tampa just north of Gandy. Figured we were good as dead if it ever kicked off. In riverview now so we might have a chance, would have to be able to out run any fallout drifting inland.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 9:56:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Your1Savior:

Riveting 6th post.

Welcome to the site, fellow gun enthusiast
View Quote

I found it to be quite funny.  

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:00:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Inneedofhelp] [#32]

https://www.thesun.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2024/05/000-non-governmental-groups-past-824958116.jpg?w=1440

Continued
View All Quotes

Continued

I really doubt it happens, but it shows the desperation certain people in the Russian government are feeling, wanting a victory in the war.  I have found the Sun to be a dubious source after they tried to pass off a video of a victory day parade rehearsal somewhere in Russia as being something other than it was.  

Originally Posted By iwouldntknow:

Sodom and Gomorrah caught hellfire for their depravity too.

Putin and the government he heads are god these days?  What about all of those abortions that are performed in Russia?
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:07:13 PM EDT
[#33]
View Quote

Maybe where you live, but I live 40 or 50 miles from the nearest potential Target.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:09:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Good luck, land dwellers!

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:59:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Did the nukes fly yet?
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:02:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By sierra-def:
Did the nukes fly yet?
View Quote

Dude, we’ve all moved on to solar flares and EMPs. Did you not get the memo?
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:20:03 PM EDT
[#37]
We'll be lucky if Biden launches a counterattack.

And my bet will be that it is Iran, especially since Biden keeps funding them..
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 12:33:12 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By eracer:
View Quote

Im in town instead of my place I  can see the lights of Mt weather from the bathroom when I take a piss
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:46:06 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By kbi:

Im in town instead of my place I  can see the lights of Mt weather from the bathroom when I take a piss
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By kbi:
Originally Posted By eracer:

I'm 15 miles from the monthly Dog Days Flea Market.  I probably won't have enough time to see the flash.  

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:36:08 PM EDT
[#40]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sierra-def:
Did the nukes fly yet?

Maybe the solar flares caused an EMP which caused the AI to think nuclear war started and they launched.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:15:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AJ_Dual] [#41]
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top