Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 1:23:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Amazing display at our house tonight. We have pretty dark skies on our property but the color was almost constant for the storm shifting from blue to green, purple and deep red at times. The kids and I stood in the yard for 2 hours watching them dance across the sky. Even caught a shooting star in the second pic.

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 1:26:47 AM EDT
[#2]
North Mississippi.Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 1:37:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By arowneragain:
I think a lot of people are seeing their phone’s night vision photo capability more than they’re seeing the northern lights.

Looking *due south* from my house:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/47056/AC306867-8AF3-4343-8578-3D4738829C79-3211134.jpg

I don’t think that’s the northern lights.
View Quote

A witness to the Carrington Event described just that from the southern hemisphere:
"The northern side from the zenith was also illuminated with beautiful colors, always curling round at the zenith, but were considered to be merely a reproduction of the southern display, as all colors south and north always corresponded."
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 2:16:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 2:29:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Gingerbreadman] [#5]
I live south of a large metropolitan area, and work pretty well inside of it. Leaving work tonight, I drove an hour west to get out of the city lights, and the show there was decent. Turns out that was unnecessary. Got home and looked south, and saw quite the show. It was good enough that I was able to take this picture with my phone in my hands.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 2:31:04 AM EDT
[#6]
My first time ever seeing them.   Truly amazing

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 2:34:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By tabraha:
Amazing display at our house tonight. We have pretty dark skies on our property but the color was almost constant for the storm shifting from blue to green, purple and deep red at times. The kids and I stood in the yard for 2 hours watching them dance across the sky. Even caught a shooting star in the second pic.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/177862/IMG_5389-3211208.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/177862/IMG_5407_Original-3211207.jpg

View Quote

Wow, that shooting star picture is something else. Lucky shot with the picture
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 2:43:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: gunnut003] [#8]
Originally Posted By THATS-A-BINGO:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I may be able to get the ISS under the lights…

Video, nothing too spectacular, but ISS with still some lights visible (I think)

ISS with north lights
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 2:43:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BTccw] [#9]
Okay… this is cool.

I had never seen them before…..

Angelic rain of color.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 2:52:06 AM EDT
[#10]
I think I'm late to the party.  Just see very faint and dim white columns in Ohio now - I'm not sure I would have noticed if I didn't know to look. Still cool though.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 2:59:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Furloaf:
I think I'm late to the party.  Just see very faint and dim white columns in Ohio now - I'm not sure I would have noticed if I didn't know to look. Still cool though.
View Quote
If you point a camera at those white columns and have the shutter open for a second or two, you'll see a lot more colors.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 3:05:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 3:16:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By LurkerII:
ITS HAPPENING!

Potential Impacts: Area of impact primarily poleward of 40 degrees Geomagnetic Latitude.
Induced Currents - Widespread voltage control problems and protective system problems may occur; some power grid systems may experience component failures or protective device trips resulting in blackouts or disruption of service. Pipeline currents can reach hundreds of amps.
Spacecraft - Systems may experience anomalies to include: extensive surface charging, unexpected orientation and attitude changes, uplink/downlink errors, and satellite orbit degradation.
Navigation - Satellite navigation (GPS) may be degraded or unavailable for days.
Radio - HF (high frequency) radio propagation may be impossible in many areas for one to two days.
Aurora - Aurora may be seen as low as Florida to southern Texas and southern California.

https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/products/alerts-watches-and-warnings

View Quote

Spacecraft attitude changes?

AI becomes self aware? No fate but what we make
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 3:44:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By JarheadPatriot:
What kind of camera?
View Quote

iPhone 15
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 3:45:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jambalaya] [#15]
I am just on the cusp of being able to see a little glow and striations with the unaided eye.  The phone camera on a tripod did okay.  It's pretty late, but it's the weekend and for my latitude, a once-in-a-lifetime event.  This makes me feel a little better about having to miss the recent eclipse.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 4:17:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Friend called last night to say he saw them, we are in Eastern Ohio.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 4:35:01 AM EDT
[#17]
East of Lafayette Louisiana and just north of I10, my oldest daughter sent me these.

I fell asleep before 9 last night and just woke up a few minutes ago to look but its cloudy now.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 4:57:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Mt St Helens.

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 5:17:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 5:25:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tac556] [#20]
Originally Posted By JackRebney:
Mt St Helens.

https://i.imgur.com/SCmYirH.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/VRmgeQa.jpg
View Quote

Nice.  Might go there tomorrow if it is going to be as good.  The predictions on this were way too conservative clearly.

WA also, 2300 hrs or so- lots of red/pink skies, slowly shifting, some green areas moving around.  Watched for an hour or so.  Got some great pics.  

Went out later- nothing.  Red tint mostly gone.  Thought the show was over…

Checked around 0130 before going to bed, most of the red tint was still gone, but waves of light were pulsating across the sky.  Fucking awesome.  Iphone was not capable of getting as good of photos of these though due to how fast they move across the sky.Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 7:33:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Just got back with the family.  Saw the shapes where we were at but no colors.  Our 24YO daughter could barely make out colors.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 7:54:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Buck_Naked] [#22]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Near the Columbia River Gorge
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 8:18:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Wildfowler:
I didn't think to take a pic pointing south. I was thinking I would go back out tomorrow night as my same time and take another pic to compare.

whatever I was looking at in MS just looked like faint pale clouds.
View Quote

We saw some straight overhead earlier last night. But I didn’t realize what I was looking at, at all.

I thought I’d be looking along the northern horizon. Didn’t realize it would be the whole sky. I’ll freely plead ignorance here; I’ve never been in a position to see northern lights and just assumed they’d be in the north.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 8:18:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By ruffhowzer:
Raining here.
View Quote

Told my wife and youngest to call me outside if they saw anything.  It was raining here too! No view.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 8:20:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Saw this in 2005 at Wilmington OH at the weigh station. Waves of green/pink lights.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 8:23:44 AM EDT
[#26]
I got a few last night. Tried my best with long exposure and no tripod

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 8:28:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Klee:
East of Lafayette Louisiana and just north of I10, my oldest daughter sent me these.

https://i.imgur.com/3iszwV5.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/1oHeP93.jpg

I fell asleep before 9 last night and just woke up a few minutes ago to look but its cloudy now.
View Quote

This was my experience. I think I saw a faint pink glow. It started to cloud up and my phone didn’t seem to pick up shit. Hopefully tonight is better. I’ll try driving out further into the country.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 8:37:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Pallas] [#28]
There are people in NW FL on reddit claiming to have seen them, even posting photos, but I think they are full of it. Went outside, didn't see jack, NODs didn't pick up anything either.

Those are some spectacular photos many of you were lucky to catch. Will try tonight.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 8:37:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AR15thur] [#29]
Originally Posted By perfectsilence:

Dimly visible here in north Knoxville.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/469899/IMG_8872_jpeg-3211072.JPG
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By perfectsilence:
Originally Posted By FlashHole:
I just walked outside, super clear out, but no colors.  It's a shame, it's a bucket list thing for me.

Dimly visible here in north Knoxville.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/469899/IMG_8872_jpeg-3211072.JPG

I know those towers
My camera on my phone stinks. My wife has better pics. This is from the other side of the ridge
Attachment Attached File

I got some video too of what the kids called a dancer. But it’s hard to see
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 9:00:30 AM EDT
[#30]
Didn't really see anything... And I'm farther north than many of you.

The horizon/light pollution from the city to my north looked slightly greener than usual. Guess I should have taken some long-exposure pics of that, but I was expecting the wavy motion of light from the only/last time I saw them when I was a kid.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 9:28:56 AM EDT
[#31]
I have seen them when I lived in Alaska, never Washington.  But last night it was awesome.  

" />

Someone impose Trumps head on this one.

" />
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:37:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tabraha] [#32]

View All Quotes

Indeed. I think that was a 10 second exposure on my iPhone. I'm planning on having my dSLR ready to go tonight.

ETA: I chalked it up to one in a trillion odds but dies anyone have a theory other than that on if there was a correlation to the "rays" emanating from the exact same direction as the meteor?
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:27:16 AM EDT
[#33]
A couple shots from my house last night. Wish my wife could have seen it.

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:40:29 AM EDT
[#34]
The aurora was just visible to the naked eye around midnight here in SE AZ just north of the US/Mexico border (31st parallel). It helps that I live in a decent Bortle zone still.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 12:05:34 PM EDT
[#35]
The string of Starlink satellites is what first caught my attention. Then noticed a crazy red glow reviewing those pics. Watched until around 1am. Really tapered off after midnight here. Actually seeing the motion of the solar wind interacting with the upper atmosphere was mind blowing.

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 12:30:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Usually it's raining here when the light shows are around. Last night was a surprise to have clear skies. Pics taken with crappy Android camera.

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 12:39:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Could someone explain - in terms a non-astronomer can grasp - why the northern lights appear *to the south* in my case?

I get that the light isn't just sitting above the north pole. I just assumed that being this far south I'd have to look north-ish to see the edge of the phenomena that was fizzling out *north of me*.

Is that usually the case and this weekend is an exception? Or?

I need to understand this so I don't 'tard up the night tonight like I did last night (looking straight up at the northern lights and telling my wife that must be the moonlight reflecting off the clouds but not what we went out to see, then us driving an hour in a circle trying to find a good northern vista....).
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 12:45:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kidnap_44] [#38]
Stunning photos!
I am still geeked out from seeing them here in the Twin City suburbs, MN.
First time in my life I have seen them!
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 12:50:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Could someone explain - in terms a non-astronomer can grasp - why the northern lights appear *to the south* in my case?

I get that the light isn't just sitting above the north pole. I just assumed that being this far south I'd have to look north-ish to see the edge of the phenomena that was fizzling out *north of me*.

I need to understand this so I don't 'tard up the night tonight like I did last night (looking straight up at the northern lights and telling my wife that must be the moonlight reflecting off the clouds but not what we went out to see, then us driving an hour in a circle trying to find a good northern vista....).
View Quote

Earth spins on a canted axis, it's all about the ejected radiation from the sun hitting the atmosphere. It happens all the time, but it needs to be dark out to see the effect on the atmosphere
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 2:01:32 PM EDT
[#40]

View Quote

It was explained to me that the atmosphere is reflecting the light.
So in our hemisphere, you can look south and see a reversed image of the light from the north.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 2:26:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By JackRebney:
Mt St Helens.

https://i.imgur.com/SCmYirH.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/VRmgeQa.jpg
View Quote

That is nice you caught it lighting up the snow on the mountain. I was up closer to wenatchee and it was super bright. Thought it would look good with a PVS14 but it actually didn't, the sky just looked like twilight

just cell phone pics
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 2:29:13 PM EDT
[#42]
How will it be tonight?   Any good chance to see it tonight?  SE MI
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 2:33:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By 20229mm:
View Quote

I think tonight is the strongest night.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 2:36:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Inquisitive_Spaniard:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Inquisitive_Spaniard:

Too soon to tell.  There may yet be more CME's
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 2:41:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Was this camping up on the WI/MI border….was overcast and raining all night.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 2:43:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Foxxz:
Have always wanted to see it
View Quote
looked last night but it was all clouds.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 2:46:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By JimEb:
Was this camping up on the WI/MI border….was overcast and raining all night.
View Quote

I’m SW of you. The storm passed us in time. It’s nice and clear today. Might could catch it tonight
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 5:36:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 6:05:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Drone.  Charging.  

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 7:05:01 PM EDT
[#50]
View Quote
Should be good tonight. I have my tripod and DSLR ready to go. I just hope my wife wakes up to get a glance.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top