BCM
User Panel

The mid life crisis. (Page 2 of 3)
Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:03:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TN-MadDog:
Well, I’m in my 60s so it’s a bit late for a “mid” life crisis.
View Quote

That's not a good attitude to take. People are living longer now, it's ok to go ahead can call it a mid-life crisis.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:03:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By MJ11B4P:
I wouldn’t call it a crisis… but I’m currently mid-40s and have struggled to find my purpose since retiring from .mil 4 years ago. I hate my job fixing shit, which is a field that I used to enjoy in my younger years. Since my son is not going to use the GI Bill benefits I transferred to him, I’m going back to school this fall to finish a bachelor’s degree. Not online; in a classroom at a traditional  university with a bunch of kids my son’s age. I even considered transferring to a BS Basket Weaving degree (that is “Bull Shit”, not “Bachelor of Science”) but I’ll probably stick to the business degree that I’m currently invested.

No desire for skirt chasing; just something I’ve wanted to do and I can’t get into 100% online coursework anymore.

View Quote

I met a retired helicopter pilot in Philosophy class who also said that he struggled to find something mentally stimulating and socially engaging after retiring so he started taking college classes for fun.  He always had a different take on things vs my peers.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:05:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By SnoopisTDI:
I think sometimes a man just spends the first two or three decades of his adult life with his nose to the grindstone, getting established in life, providing for his family, etc. Then one day he realizes he's not that broke 19 year old kid any more, and he can actually take his foot off the gas and relax and enjoy life for a few minutes.

Also, some men probably get married and start a family "because that's what you do" and later realize they could have had a very different life.

I think it's an epiphany of sorts. Not so much "oh shit, I'm getting old" as just "wait, I can finally..." or "wait, all this time I could have...?"

The less you do for yourself, the more likely you are to have this "crisis" and the more extreme it will be. If you take a little time to enjoy life along the way, have hobbies, projects, spend a little time with your friends, etc. it's probably less likely to happen.
View Quote

That is some real truth.  I have witnessed the same thing.  A lot of men think it is 'selfish' if you actually enjoy your life and you aren't a dutiful servant to wife and kids to the point of completely sacrificing yourself.  You can see these guys when they tell others who haven't had kids: "YOU ARE SELFISH AND BADDDDDDDD!"  They thought they needed to sacrifice it all and now they are starting to realize that wasn't the best choice.   Instead of correcting their own paths they get angry at others who are living the life they wish they had.  You are hurting yourself and your wife and kids if you live like a sacrificial lamb putting them on a pedestal.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:09:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Agilt:
Not enough time and money for a crisis. Maybe I'll try again around 60
View Quote

Same.

Only problem with trying to have one now is that we are responsible for my 90 YO mother. It's dragging us down in ways I never imagined, especially being able to go and do those things we put off.

SO is also taking care of GrandKid #1 (her choice) as well which I think is just an additional burden and I worry  about her burning out.

So I guess I'm in the sandwich part of life. Currently it's a shit sandwich.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:20:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Pussy, Porsche or Corvette, hair transplants and road trips/move to the beach.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:21:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By BombCrater:

That is some real truth.  I have witnessed the same thing.  A lot of men think it is 'selfish' if you actually enjoy your life and you aren't a dutiful servant to wife and kids to the point of completely sacrificing yourself.  You can see these guys when they tell others who haven't had kids: "YOU ARE SELFISH AND BADDDDDDDD!"  They thought they needed to sacrifice it all and now they are starting to realize that wasn't the best choice.   Instead of correcting their own paths they get angry at others who are living the life they wish they had.  You are hurting yourself and your wife and kids if you live like a sacrificial lamb putting them on a pedestal.
View Quote

Ha I’m even worse. I sacrificed 17 years of my life and countless hours of overtime for my ex wife and step kids. I worked myself nearly to death to make sure they were all taken care of.

About 15 minutes after the kids were out of the house and doing well she filed for divorce. She also took half of my 401k and “maintenance” that’s what Colorado calls alimony. Now the kids that I raised won’t speak to me. I have trained my brain to go from sad to pure anger. It’s just easier that way for me. Fuck all three of them.

I now spend my time and money going to Vegas to play craps and learning to fly airplanes.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:33:52 PM EDT
[#7]
My father spent his entire life busting his ass to provide for us and had big plans of retiring and doing cool shit.

Then he retired and died.

I learned from that and have done everything I ever really wanted to do by the time I was 40.

I'm 64 now, retired, and can't think of much else to get midlife crisisy about.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:53:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Men get a sports car, women get new tits and a divorce?
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:01:09 PM EDT
[#9]
If I missed having one the first time around, when will I be too old to have one?
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:10:07 PM EDT
[#10]
I bought a jacked up F250 brodozier because I knew if I bought a vette or a mustang I'd kill myself....
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:44:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By sitdwnandhngon:

I was kind of wondering if it hits some people harder because they realize that they haven't really done much over the last 20+ years, or rather they have accomplished much.

In my father in law's case he had a good job with good benefits, raised his kids well and was always active in the community, and found a lot of satisfaction in that. He's been retired for awhile now and wants to travel, but his wife won't go with him, so I kind of feel bad for him there, but he still has stuff he likes to do.

He's always been satisfied with life, so his idea of getting crazy was getting an ear pierced.
View Quote

Yeah, that's part of it. We all kind of had an vision or plan for our future, more or less for different aspects of our life (family, career, financially). Of course it morphed as we aged and maybe matured. And people hit a point when they realize that they accomplished those "dreams", or need to make an adjustment to get there, or maybe they decide they won't ever accomplish them for so many reasons. So some end up depressed, some get driven, some celebrate and spend, or some combination.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:08:15 PM EDT
[#12]
I really don’t believe there is such a thing. I don’t understand why people attribute every day actions to a midlife crisis.

A 30 year old buys a motorcycle, a center console or sports car and it’s “NICE dude!”

A 65 year old buys a motorcycle, a center console or sports car and it’s “poor fellow, he’s having a midlife crisis.”
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:24:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Well, I didn't plan it that way, but I guess mine was GWOT.  I was a municipal police officer.  Went back to college.  Graduated from law school, passed the bar at 40 and joined the USAR Jag .  Then a few years later I went back in AD for Iraqi Freedom, retired from the PD.  Spent a few more years on mob, 3 trips to AFG, and sort of stayed till I got MRD.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:25:43 PM EDT
[#14]
I started having joints replaced, I guess that counts as a midlife crisis.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:39:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Frank_B] [#15]
Bought a hunter/jumper horse at 52. Best purchase I ever made. He kept me in shape and was a great stress reliever.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 4:13:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Im 80 and have never had a mid-life crisis. I’ve been too busy.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 4:22:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By denverdan:

Ha I’m even worse. I sacrificed 17 years of my life and countless hours of overtime for my ex wife and step kids. I worked myself nearly to death to make sure they were all taken care of.

About 15 minutes after the kids were out of the house and doing well she filed for divorce. She also took half of my 401k and “maintenance” that’s what Colorado calls alimony. Now the kids that I raised won’t speak to me. I have trained my brain to go from sad to pure anger. It’s just easier that way for me. Fuck all three of them.

I now spend my time and money going to Vegas to play craps and learning to fly airplanes.
View Quote

Damn dude that’s really fucked up especially with the kids being grown.  

There should be zero expectation for a woman to maintain any semblance of her former lifestyle after a divorce when there are no minor children at home.  

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 4:24:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By TxRanger1838:
Im 80 and have never had a mid-life crisis. I’ve been too busy.
View Quote

Any tips on how to survive until 80 in this fucking circus?
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 4:28:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Into_the_Void:
I think it's just a matter of father time smashing them in their face and they realize it's time to shit or get off the pot.
View Quote
Yeah, and the middle part of life is just a grind.

Gotta break the monotony somehow.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 4:44:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Kraquine:
It affects people in different ways. Some do things out of character due to a loss of inhibition, others may become hermits.

It's a two stage event that usually occurs between 45-65. In the first stage the individual realizes their mortality. Up until then death seemed way off. It happened to other people and was never given a thought. They are no longer invulunerable and are regarded as "old" by people half their age.

In the second stage an urgency sets in. An individual realizes they have probably lived 3/4 of their life span and half of what's left will probably be shitty in some way, physically, mentally or both. Regrets from the past often occupy their thoughts.

Through all this the individual is watching friends and family drop like flies. Worse yet they may lose their spouse and maybe even one of their children.

It's a heavy cumulative emotional toll and why the elderly usually welcome the end.
View Quote

Lots of good wisdom in this thread and in this post particularly.

I don’t think the “mid life crisis” gets the attention it deserves psychologically. We ridicule it rather than live a life full of experiences and memories the best we can.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 4:59:59 PM EDT
[#21]
I’m close to 50 and I guess whatever “crisis” we (my wife) both are going through has been positive.  She quit big tech corporate and is starting her own business.

I retired early to work the family ranch as my parents are slowing down.  Always expected to but not this early.  It’s my dream job.  Love every minute of it.  Had an excuse to buy new big chain saw so I guess that’s the extent of wild and crazy for me.

Lucky for me my wife looks a good eight to ten years younger than she is and hasn’t changed personality wise since we got married.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:19:00 PM EDT
[#22]
I didn't want the hijack the other thread where I mentioned it, but what's the deal with them, and how common is it?

I think my father in law had one at about age 40. He got his ear pierced and bought a new mower, that seemed to be about the end of it.

My dad on the other hand has been through a few I think. In his 30's he quit his career and formed a business. He's always given everything he has to it but isn't very business savvy. At 45ish he started dying his hair and acting like he was 20 again, it was short lived because he got hurt. Since then he's focused hard on the sports programs at the school and hunting, while still working at his business (which is growing, but very slowly). At 59 he started acting 20 again and once again got hurt, and now every time I talk to him he says things like "I could die tomorrow, never know". Seems to be hitting him hard that 60 is coming.

I have two friends that are both 55 and each had one around 50. One of them started partying like he was 20 again and went on a year long bender with booze and tinder, while the other said fuck it and took out a huge loan to buy a second business.

They seem to affect people very differently, and happen at very different times, and lots of people seem to not experience one, or if they do the effects are minimal and go un-noticed.

Every 8-10 years there is a wave of "grey divorce" that sweeps through town, I expect another one soon as it's been awhile, I would guess they kind of go hand in hand with the midlife crisis.

I already have mine planned. If I start feeling like I need to be 20 again I'm gonna just go buy cool UTV or pick up a Jeep to turn into a project, because that's what my recreation was in my early 20's. Figure if I give myself a project then I'll be less likely to do something silly like get a tattoo or another woman.

I think my wife would prefer the Jeep project, but we'll see how it plays out when the time comes.

View Quote

Don’t buy a Jeep. Trust me.  I own one.   The project isn’t what you want as a mid life crisis unless you’re starting it this year.   You’ll dump some money into it and realize you don’t enjoy it. When you try to sell it for what you have into it you’ll be laughed at because no one wants your project for what you paid.

Buy a UTV and keep it for 5 years. Do this sooner than later so you can enjoy it. Otherwise you’ll be too cheap and not buy what you want.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:43:58 PM EDT
[#23]
I don't get mid life crisis, but I see them happen. I'm 44, married with 2 kids. I don't have time to have any extra stuff going on. I'm also extremely un-vain, so I'm not looking to improve my appearance.

On the other hand, I have a coworker that is a 45 year old female that is definitely going through a midlife crisis. She has lost a lot of weight and is obsessed with losing more (with little room to lose). She also is very focused on appearance. I think she is trying to keep up with her 18 year old daughter.

I have another coworker that is a male in his late 40's. He's going through a divorce and is definitely seeking attention from much younger women. I would say it is a form of midlife crisis as well.

I don't know what triggers these actions, but they definitely happen. I lean more towards aging as it comes and rolling with it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:45:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Guys finally get to a point that they can afford that really cool sports car they wanted in their youth and now they can try to relive that youth. I think that's part of it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 1:05:15 AM EDT
[#25]
I've been thinking about this lately. When I was 45 I started hitting the gym and lifting weights with my sons. About 7 months in I started TRT, at 11 months I added a smidge of Deca. I'm 46 now and will turn 47 in a few months. I'm stronger than I've ever been my whole life. I started hitting the tanning bed at the gym.

What the fuck?
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:59:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sitdwnandhngon] [#26]
Originally Posted By durtychemist:

Don’t buy a Jeep. Trust me.  I own one.   The project isn’t what you want as a mid life crisis unless you’re starting it this year.   You’ll dump some money into it and realize you don’t enjoy it. When you try to sell it for what you have into it you’ll be laughed at because no one wants your project for what you paid.

Buy a UTV and keep it for 5 years. Do this sooner than later so you can enjoy it. Otherwise you’ll be too cheap and not buy what you want.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
I didn't want the hijack the other thread where I mentioned it, but what's the deal with them, and how common is it?

I think my father in law had one at about age 40. He got his ear pierced and bought a new mower, that seemed to be about the end of it.

My dad on the other hand has been through a few I think. In his 30's he quit his career and formed a business. He's always given everything he has to it but isn't very business savvy. At 45ish he started dying his hair and acting like he was 20 again, it was short lived because he got hurt. Since then he's focused hard on the sports programs at the school and hunting, while still working at his business (which is growing, but very slowly). At 59 he started acting 20 again and once again got hurt, and now every time I talk to him he says things like "I could die tomorrow, never know". Seems to be hitting him hard that 60 is coming.

I have two friends that are both 55 and each had one around 50. One of them started partying like he was 20 again and went on a year long bender with booze and tinder, while the other said fuck it and took out a huge loan to buy a second business.

They seem to affect people very differently, and happen at very different times, and lots of people seem to not experience one, or if they do the effects are minimal and go un-noticed.

Every 8-10 years there is a wave of "grey divorce" that sweeps through town, I expect another one soon as it's been awhile, I would guess they kind of go hand in hand with the midlife crisis.

I already have mine planned. If I start feeling like I need to be 20 again I'm gonna just go buy cool UTV or pick up a Jeep to turn into a project, because that's what my recreation was in my early 20's. Figure if I give myself a project then I'll be less likely to do something silly like get a tattoo or another woman.

I think my wife would prefer the Jeep project, but we'll see how it plays out when the time comes.

We used to do the Jeep thing before kids, it got to where I enjoyed building them more than actually wheeling them. I figured it would be fun to buy one and do a tub off job on it. 1 ton axles, some kind of weird engine swap and a dovetail bed. My issue with that is shop space, so I have to get my other shop built first, then I can tackle it.

My other idea though, and I might go this route, is to get a WRX or Impreza and do a suspension lift and frame drop, chop the body enough to fit some 31's under it, probably put some heavy duty axles on it, and mess around with it until I destroy it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 6:37:00 AM EDT
[#27]

View Quote

Depends on the Jeep. Getting into CJs is own the best things I’ve done as far as an enjoyable an automotive hobby. You couldn’t melt anything newer than an TJ and pour it on me.

A UTV does absolutely nothing for me. Absolutely obnoxious and uninteresting.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 6:56:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By manderson1911:

I started working early as my dad was disabled. I'm 46 now and this was a big part of my mid-life crisis. I just started waking up angry and miserable another day at a job I hate. Sold my house outside of Atlanta and moved to a smaller house in the mountains with view. I still work but I fish and hike more. For me I needed to find better balance all the work wasn't paying off into more money. I was smart and I saved so it was time for me to shift into the next phase of things.
View Quote

Sounds same for me… 41 been working since middle school bc both of my parents didn’t want me sitting around. Hadn’t done anything drastic yet, almost bought a Porsche, or another fancy car but realized it wouldn’t do the job. I think I’ve become more of a hermit now really.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:12:19 AM EDT
[#29]
I watched a lady in her 40s start acting like a teenager. It was sad since she wasn’t attractive at all, but she decided to act like the popular girl on prom night. Another really weird thing she did was when she came across viral videos or pictures she would make up stories to pretend they were her family’s. One time she texted me that picture from 20 years ago that looked like a hunter taking a trophy pic with a wolf behind him nobody realized was there, except she claimed he was her friend and made up a story about what happened to him after the picture. She also made up a bunch of stories about her kids that were all based on viral videos of other kids.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:13:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Happy_Hour_Hero:
I watched a lady in her 40s start acting like a teenager. It was sad since she wasn’t attractive at all, but she decided to act like the popular girl on prom night. Another really weird thing she did was when she came across viral videos or pictures she would make up stories to pretend they were her family’s. One time she texted me that picture from 20 years ago that looked like a hunter taking a trophy pic with a wolf behind him nobody realized was there, except she claimed he was her friend and made up a story about what happened to him after the picture. She also made up a bunch of stories about her kids that were all based on viral videos of other kids.
View Quote

That’s not a mid life crisis… that’s straight-up mental illness.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:18:57 AM EDT
[#31]
One of my good buddies is going through one. Had a great life, good job, wife, and two boys. Midlife hit him and he freaked out because all he has ever done is sit in a cubicle and be in a relationship. Blew it all up.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:28:32 AM EDT
[#32]
I’ve always wanted a 911. I mean since I was 7-8 years old. So, I don’t see getting one at age 55 as a sign of a midlife crisis.

My ex bolted so I started dating attractive women. My job didn’t change although I moved to FL (NOT on the beach) to make it easier to get to work.

I’ve always been aware of my mortality (airplanes will try to kill you every so often) so, it’s not like I woke up at 45 in a panic.

I’m kind of at the point where I can see walking away from flying. ( I never thought that would happen.) So, I’m mentally prepared for that in a few years. I’m ready to chill.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:36:35 AM EDT
[#33]
I stick to vintage 4 wheel drive trucks instead of sports cars.  I’ve had a couple fast cars and was lucky I didn’t lose my license then.  Now I’ve got too much to lose to be doing stupid stuff in a car and get locked up.  Not to mention I think I’m actually less responsible now than I used to be when I was younger.  Comes with being all out of Fs to give.  
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:06:07 AM EDT
[#34]
The closest one Ive dealt with is the itch to get a Durango SRT or SRT Hellcat

Theres a few local for sale, and they have me twitching

Plus its a 3 row SUV for the family, and has a hitch to pull the boat. So still practical and not just fast
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:09:51 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By TaskForce:
Guys finally get to a point that they can afford that really cool sports car they wanted in their youth and now they can try to relive that youth. I think that's part of it.
View Quote
I don't think of it as reliving youth, but if you've put your own interests on hold for 20 years, there's a fair chance you might just pick up where you left off.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:41:16 AM EDT
[#36]
I don't know if I would classify it as a "crisis," but two years ago I decided to change my lifestyle.  One of my best friends had some major health problems and that scared me straight.  I stopped drinking, started watching caloric intake, and began rowing on an erg.  Fast forward to now (I'm 50) and I've lost over 70 lbs, off of BP meds, can row a sub 19 minute 5K.  I've also taken a crew rowing class, got a new position at work, sold $4k worth of stuff I accumulated over the years, and feel better than I have in years.  I also stopped worrying about things that I have little to no control over of and started to really focus on what I could, being mainly myself and family.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:54:25 AM EDT
[#37]
I kind of already had my MLC in my late 20's. Wife and I were DINKs with decent jobs. I went and bought a used S2000. I had wanted one since they were announced in 1999. Favorite vehicle I've ever had, but I had to sell it 4 years later to fund the minivan because our 3rd and final kid was on the way.

I'll turn 40 in 2027. NGL, I wouldn't mind having another one for sunset cruises...
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:07:35 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By ProfessorFalken:
I've been thinking about this lately. When I was 45 I started hitting the gym and lifting weights with my sons. About 7 months in I started TRT, at 11 months I added a smidge of Deca. I'm 46 now and will turn 47 in a few months. I'm stronger than I've ever been my whole life. I started hitting the tanning bed at the gym.

What the fuck?
View Quote
A little melanotan 2 will help with that tanning, and keep your time in the bed minimal.  Actually outside sunlight will help greatly and probably be better with that, just saying......
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:22:30 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By xenophon21:
A little melanotan 2 will help with that tanning, and keep your time in the bed minimal.  Actually outside sunlight will help greatly and probably be better with that, just saying......
View Quote

Ugh, I know. My son ran some mt2 for a little bit. I've considered it. Truth is I ran into some chest acne and I've been trying to clear it up. Nothing too serious but I'm trying to nip it now. A lot of people in my situation said tanning was greatly beneficial.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:28:23 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Bringo:
I kind of already had my MLC in my late 20's. Wife and I were DINKs with decent jobs. I went and bought a used S2000. I had wanted one since they were announced in 1999. Favorite vehicle I've ever had, but I had to sell it 4 years later to fund the minivan because our 3rd and final kid was on the way.

I'll turn 40 in 2027. NGL, I wouldn't mind having another one for sunset cruises...
View Quote

Our daughter bought a S2000 last year. Not my cup o' tea, but it's a neat car.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:44:50 AM EDT
[#41]
Here's mine:

Hit my milestones before getting her. House paid off, kids' colleges funded, no credit card or loan debts of any kind.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:57:49 AM EDT
[#42]
It's the moment when you realize you can't do the things you used to do that really fucks with you.  Maybe you have regrets about what you missed, or maybe you just don't want the party to stop, but faced with such a thing, I can understand the need to hold on to any little piece you can put your hands on.  Maybe that means doing something reckless, or buying something for yourself that you couldn't afford when you were younger.  Maybe it means putting the color back in your hair and getting a girlfriend that was born when you were in college.  It's all just a coping mechanism to remember what it was like to be young.  
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 12:08:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Into_the_Void:
I think it's just a matter of father time smashing them in their face and they realize it's time to shit or get off the pot.
View Quote

this.  you come to an age where you realize that you don't have an unlimited future, so you have to make choices about what you want to do.

you also stop worrying so much about what other people think is cool, and start really leaning into what you think is cool.  

this is how yellow porsches happen.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 12:09:25 PM EDT
[#44]
I think it's less "oh shit my life is halfway over" and more "I can finally afford all the cool shit I've always wanted".
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 12:10:56 PM EDT
[#45]
I'll be 40 next year. I'll let you know how it goes
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 1:52:04 PM EDT
[#46]
What I'll call my dads (early 60's) version of a midlife crisis, was jumping into the offroad world with me in 2019. At the time I had a RZR 800 that I was going to replace after the season with a RZR highlifter until he showed up with a CanAm X3 one day. About a month later I bought a twin to his, and we've been going on several trips a year since. The wildest part, my mother actually enjoys these trips rocking the passenger seat!

After year 1 the expense of this sport was realized, and now I get reminded about how if he ever knew how much money he would get into this toy he'd never have jumped in, but now it's too fun to stop. I agree, it'd probably have been cheaper to maintain a cocaine habit.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 2:10:28 PM EDT
[#47]

If I start feeling like I need to be 20 again
View Quote

I don't think that is what the feeling is, at least not for me.  In my case it is more of daily dealing with aches and pains of every injury, plus just regular stiff joints and sore muscles which makes me realize that I have physically peaked, it is all down hill from this point, and I need to make the most of the few remaining years where I am still able to do almost everything I want to do...just slower.  

tldr; realizing I need to make the most of remaining good years not thinking I'm 20 again.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 2:16:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Macsabbath:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Macsabbath:
Originally Posted By Bringo:

Neat is a good description. They aren't fast compared to most other modern offerings, but they're Hondas, you can put the top down, and you can whip them around a turn.

I have to stop talking about them or I will definitely have another MLC S2000 in 3 years.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 2:19:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By SWIRE:

I don't think that is what the feeling is, at least not for me.  In my case it is more of daily dealing with aches and pains of every injury, plus just regular stiff joints and sore muscles which makes me realize that I have physically peaked, it is all down hill from this point, and I need to make the most of the few remaining years where I am still able to do almost everything I want to do...just slower.  

tldr; realizing I need to make the most of remaining good years not thinking I'm 20 again.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SWIRE:

If I start feeling like I need to be 20 again

Yeah, you can always tell who “gets it” and who doesn’t… I’ve done my fair share of razzing 40-and 50-somethings for the obligatory Miata, but there’s a lot of other aspects to it that can really suck sometimes. And that’s not something I’ll give anyone any shit for.

There are aspects to life that you can only learn by living them, and people should count their blessings if their “crisis” at mid-life only includes a sporty car because you earned a little something for yourself.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 2:52:18 PM EDT
[#50]

I don't know man. My wife and I have talked about it more than once and at that age we want to be set. I don't want money to be a deciding factor in the things that we want to do or need to do.

The scariest thing we can think of is being broke in our 50's and 60's.

I'm trying to teach my kids that you set a goal and reach it, then rather than sitting on your heels patting yourself on the back, you set a new bigger goal and reach that next.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Zebra120:

Sounds like my dad.

He's been telling me all year stuff like "It goes so fast, do what you love" and I'm not sure he understands that I love my work and what it affords us. I have plans for more land, a second house, etc, and that means working to get it.

It kind of irks me because he's told the same thing to my cousin who is much younger and at a stage in life when he needs to be working as hard as possible and building wealth. The kid doesn't need to hear that, he needs to hear that it's May and the weather is good, get your ass to your jobsite.

Your dad is smarter than you think. You can have all the "stuff" you want, but in the end not a single bit of it matters. I would much rather see my children discover the fact that "enough" is just that rather than watch them slave away for things.

I don't know man. My wife and I have talked about it more than once and at that age we want to be set. I don't want money to be a deciding factor in the things that we want to do or need to do.

The scariest thing we can think of is being broke in our 50's and 60's.

I'm trying to teach my kids that you set a goal and reach it, then rather than sitting on your heels patting yourself on the back, you set a new bigger goal and reach that next.

My wife and I are 40 this year, and that’s kinda how we see it.

Yesterday was a good example of what we’ve built and how we’re enjoying it. We started off by skipping church to volunteer at a soup kitchen. For once, we actually did serve soup, but we do it about once a month and it varies. Their coffee maker was broken again, so I ordered a new one for them on Amazon and ran over to Dunkin’ to get coffee for the morning crowd.

After we locked up there I ran to the local diner to get a table while my wife took the kids to pick up her grandmother. She’s 93 - while fragility comes with that age, she’s lucid and active, and we get her out of the nursing home as often as we can. Her parents arrived at the same time she did, and walked in just as our name was called to be seated. We had a nice, long lunch. My in-laws tried to chip in $40 for lunch, which of course I refused after thanking them. Then I got in my Jeep, my wife loaded up the kids and her grandma in her minivan SUV, my in-laws got in their little sedan, and we left. I went home to stream for a couple of hours, my wife dropped off her grandmother and took our girls to my parents’ place to work with their show pigs. We didn’t all get home and done with our day until about 9pm, at which point we decided we didn’t want to cook and ordered delivery instead.

I get that a lot of people would look at the above and feel trapped. I don’t - I feel free. I dropped $200 that morning during our volunteer shift. I spent $120 on lunch. I, my wife, and my in-laws all drove away from the diner in reliable vehicles that we enjoy and fit our needs. All three of those vehicles were purchased in my name, and the titles to all three are filed away in my office. We came home to a comfortable home that, while mortgaged, was purchased for less than my annual income. Today, like very day, I’m sitting in my office working at a job that I like in a field that I’m passionate about. I work when and where I want, and I make enough to make all of the above happen.

We’re not debt-free. We could be, but decided pursuing that right now just isn’t worth what we’d have to sacrifice.

Think about this way: I put about $400 on my AmEx yesterday. I get paid twice a month, and usually have about $200 “left over” that I transfer into savings. We’re not rich, but we sure as hell ain’t poor. Our goals are stability, then comfort, then building wealth. I think we’re doing it right.

Could we be “rich”? Probably. Our girls are 10 and 15 right now. If we had saved every last penny for the past 15 years and focused hard on investments and passive income, we’d probably have around $2m in the bank and would be able to pull about $50k / year out without touching the principle by now.

Instead, we put enough in my 401k to be on track to retire at 60 and have put the rest into making our lives and the lives of those around us better. It feels good to be able to treat the people at that soup kitchen to name-brand coffee any way they wanted it. It felt good to be just hop on Amazon and know the people that run the place will get a delivery tomorrow with a new commercial coffee maker that can handle the volume they make and will last for years. It felt good to be able to enjoy spending time with family and not worry about the price of lunch. Maybe it’s mere sinful pride, but I do enjoy watching my in-laws leave the restaurant in a car they take care of because it’s the first new vehicle they’ve ever owned, knowing I bought it for them.

.. but I don’t think so. I look back to when I was 18-20, when I lost a full scholarship to a state university and was diagnosed with ADHD and depression, and think how far I’ve come. I look back to when I proposed to my wife on the floor of our unfurnished shitty little apartment and think about how she said yes, even though I only had a $15 fake-ass ring that I bought online and we didn’t know where we were going to get rent that month, and I think about how happy it makes me that we’ve not only survived - but that we’re still in love, and closer to each other now than we’ve ever been. I look at our girls and see the people they’re becoming and the values they hold. My wife’s grandmother is the last living member of her generation in either of our families; I’m comforted to know that she will pass confident that her descendants are doing well and that her great-grandchildren have a brighter future than she could have imagined at that age. My parents are financially set, but hers have been poor their entire lives; while I see hope for more when we’re their age, it’s extremely gratifying to know that they aren’t worried that they’re going to be hungry and homeless. We’re here for them and will make sure that doesn’t happen. I’m here for them.

Nah. I’m just not the mid-life crisis type I guess. When I look around at my life, I don’t feel trapped. The debt I have is easily manageable, and even if I lost the ability to generate income tomorrow, we’d be able to consolidate some things, maybe downsize a bit, and pay it all off. The worst likely financial case I can foresee is that I’d spend my twilight years puttering around a little house somewhere with my wife, fixing shit that annoys her while she works in her garden and clips coupons. Hell, that sounds great to me.

Would it be fun to go out and buy a new Corvette, find some young, impressionable girl that’s impressed enough when I pay her bills to suck me off, and spend the next few years blowing through my savings living that life? Of course it would! But it doesn’t hold a candle to the actual, true happiness I have found through my family and the life that we’ve built. No thanks.

Money doesn’t buy happiness, but you can use it to make enough space to build happiness yourself. A fat bank balance is a good thing; a life well-lived is better. If I’m on my deathbed with $0.05 to my name, surrounded by my descendants who are functional adults taking care of their own families, I’ll pull that last nickel from behind my great-grandkid’s ear and die with a smile on my face and peace in my heart.
Page / 3
The mid life crisis. (Page 2 of 3)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top