Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:00:15 PM EDT
[#1]
They aren't necessarily scams but they are happy getting the $2-300 service call and busy enough to price high. The tech is making $30 an hour and is happy to give you an inflated price so he can leave.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:07:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: contract] [#2]
Not an honest trade left.

When over 90% are shady, across every industry, it's just game over.

America has NO MORALS anymore.

People are shit.

Remember when folks were actually GOOD HUMAN BEINGS?

Those days are gone.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:10:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By drew5337:

100 bucks per lb of r410a.  Eat.  Shit.

Take the stupid test, get the EPA license, and DIY.
View Quote

Yep. 25lbs containers of R410a sell for $300.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:11:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Sharkman74:
the home service companies are getting bought out by private equities firms.  

Expect more of these scammy business practices.
View Quote

Seeing this happening to A LOT of industries.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:14:36 PM EDT
[#5]
When I started my property management company we found a guy doing AC that had also just started. Very fair prices, knew how to troubleshoot like a boss.  Never upsold.  A few years back he sold the company.  The first thing the idiots who bought it do: change the price structure.  Before they would charge $150 if they went out and it was a dead cap for the first cap and then the others would be $30.  This new company came out and replaced three caps at a house and charged $1125.  I looked at the invoice, called them and asked them if they replaced a motor also.  Nope, just three caps.  Their argument was:  "The trip charge is built in to the price of $375 for a capacitor."  I asked did you drive out there three times for each capacitor? And do you now have fucking tanks?  So right there they lost a property management account with 150 doors.  Why would you buy a company that is doing well and do that?  It was doing well because of how it was operating so why change it?  This company never advertised before but they must have run off all of the customers that came with the purchase because now they do all the time.  THAT is one reason I NEVER trust contractors that advertise all the time - they are almost always ripoffs trying to find new victims. Anderson Windows, Parker and Sons, etc.  You would think they would run out of suckers but they never seem to!
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:18:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Even though the manufacture's warranty may still cover parts warranty, they will fuck you out of more in labor than the parts cost for anything short of a compressor changeout.

For our previous home and the new home (as soon as the 1-year labor warranty ran out) I purchased capacitors, contactor, control boards, condenser fan motor and air handler blower motors.  
The old house that was about $250, because they were the older style motors. For the new house, it was about $600, that was buying used (salvaged from perfectly good systems that folks had been conned into replacing) and both control boards new. I don't want to wait for days or a week for parts when the AC is out on a holiday weekend.

Also, installing a 24 volt surge suppressor on both outside and inside units cost about $50 and will prevent 75% of the control board replacements.  HVAC companies know these reduce service calls and will try to tell you they void the warranty...yet go larger apartment complexes where they have their own in-house HVAC Maint folks and you will find them installed on every unit.

A few years back I spent two hours of studying and paid $85 to take the EPA test online.  You cannot contract or run a service company with just that, but the supply houses will sell to you with an EPA card.  But check amazon & ebay before hitting the supply house for parts...many times you will pay more at a supply house because you do not have a commercial account.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:28:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rustypigeon] [#7]
Originally Posted By bikertrash:

I'm interested....

Got some more info on how to do this?

@TriggerM
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bikertrash:
Originally Posted By TriggerM:
Yep. So last year I got my 608 Epa certification.  Pretty simple to do. Now I can buy my own r22.

I'm interested....

Got some more info on how to do this?

@TriggerM

I did my 608 Universal through Mainstream Engineering.

EPA 608 consists of type 1, (small appliances) type 2 (high pressure appliances) and type 3 (low pressure appliances) If you have all 3, it is called "Universal"

I took all the tests at once. 608 Universal has to be proctored, so someone has to watch you take the test. This was done at my local HVAC distributor supply.

If I remember correctly, I did all of it for less than $100. I just studied on my own using commonly available free online study materials and practice questions.

It looks like these days you can take the tests at home while someone watches you through your webcam to make sure you are not cheating.

I also did my EPA 609 which is automotive. It was very easy and can be done open book at home.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:09:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By ar15robert:
My brother in law house is 3 years old his ac was fixed the first year. They had to re solder something.

It recently broke in same area guys come out replace the part under warranty but bent him over on the refrigerant told him needed 10-11 pounds of r410 to recharge and that’s not under warranty well 4k later it was fixed. Yeh like 380 something per pound they charged him.

Told him they don’t come out for free he said yup they’ll make their money up somehow.
View Quote

How big is your BIL's house? 10-11 lb's is a shit ton of 410 for a typical residential house unless there are stupidly long runs and it would have to be 100 empty to boot. only reason to crack into the systems is for either coil or the TXV and unless it's the outside unit coil, you can pull most of it back into it, close the valves, and keep it to reuse.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:13:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Gordo556:

this. big time.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Gordo556:
Originally Posted By memsu:
I do HVAC controls. After 18 years of troubleshooting customer units that don't work I became pretty good at it. That's where these HVAC companies are failing. All the experienced people are gone or not in the field anymore. New employees don't know how to troubleshoot.

I bet there's a market for providing 2nd opinions and minor repairs.

Don't forget they are also phasing out R-410A.

this. big time.

I'll be another guy who was reasonably good at diagnostics gone in well under 2 months.

I've always offered to try to help diagnose systems if someone is on ARFcom and can read a meter and know what the reads mean.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:43:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Property manager calls me the Friday after Thanksgiving. One of our properties, actually my old house, was having furnace problems. Company had been out the day before Turkey Day and replaced the thermocoupler for $380, below our $500 owner approval limit. So they were back out, and said it was either a regulator or something they couldnt figure out because the furnace was too old to have an LED diag code. Carbon monoxide blah blah, $600 to maybe fix it, or $9800 to put a new furnace in, could do it next day. Told the property manager to tell them to get bent, they were not allowed at any of my properties, I'll call someone else. Property manager was worried about a cold front coming in (high 40's low 50's). Told him it wasnt a cold front, the place has a gas fireplace, and it wasnt a little old lady who paid rent on time, but repeat code violators who were a month behind. My guy goes out. Thermocoupler was loose, primary blower fan disconnected,  replaced air filters that looked like someone threw a shitzuh in a dryer and ran it 8 times without cleaning the lint trap. Like you couldnt even tell they were pleated. He tightened the thermocoupler, hooked blower motor back up, and adjusted the gas pressure regulator. Ran fine all winter. Property manager was worried about CO2. Told him to buy them a detector if he was worried but the first company didnt lock out and tag the furnace so obviously they werent too worried about it and neither should he . AC at same property went out. New compressor at $2200 from my guy, entire 3 ton system to include the furnace, new ducts,  coil, everything replaced top to bottom for $7200. Yeah, the 10 year warranty is parts only, but they same guy who kept me running all winter for $100 is the guy I'm paying for the labor on a warranty call so I'm not worried.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:48:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By rustypigeon:

I did my 608 Universal through Mainstream Engineering.

EPA 608 consists of type 1, (small appliances) type 2 (high pressure appliances) and type 3 (low pressure appliances) If you have all 3, it is called "Universal"

I took all the tests at once. 608 Universal has to be proctored, so someone has to watch you take the test. This was done at my local HVAC distributor supply.

If I remember correctly, I did all of it for less than $100. I just studied on my own using commonly available free online study materials and practice questions.

It looks like these days you can take the tests at home while someone watches you through your webcam to make sure you are not cheating.

I also did my EPA 609 which is automotive. It was very easy and can be done open book at home.
View Quote

Did mine last year, proctored, for free with SkillCat. Before they started charging monthly but it is still cheap. I think I paid $20 to take the 609 Certification.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:55:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By contract:

People are shit.

Those days are gone.
View Quote

It's not just contractors. It's literally every business. Everyone is fucking everyone where ever they can. Greed was always a thing but the money printer went brrrr. I bet you raised rent on the two family's?

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:57:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LRShooter] [#13]
One of the big companies here in Utah came out and said I needed $7500 in work done to keep my system going.  Mind you, at the time it was at least a decade old.  I asked how much for new - $14K.  I said no thanks.  Replaced a $200 control board on my own and it's been running fine.  That was three years ago.

I priced out the parts in that $7500 repair.  Under $1000 off of Amazon.  The refrigerant would have been a bunch, but it would have been over $4000 in labor to replace some parts.

And I didn't need refrigerant.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:57:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MJ11B4P] [#14]
Ended up replacing a 14y/o R-22 unit because holy shit the price of R-22!

Also, blower motor on my current 10 y/o unit went out last fall… that cost over $1k for the motor and a master control board from a supply house. I probably saved a grand or three on the up charges and labor an HVAC company would have charged
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:03:42 PM EDT
[#15]

People are shit.

Those days are gone.
View Quote

The real issue is that, once the facades are peeled back, 90% of people in general are shitbags.  Sexually obsessed, selfish, materialistic shitbags.  It follows that most tradespeople follow the trend.  Our entire society is very sick.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:04:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By fxntime:

So you are rich as hell then?

Hell, even 410 is ridiculous in price as compared to a couple of years ago.

Refrigerant replacement costs are one place where people may bitch but the cost to the repair guy can be astronomical. Last can of 410 I bought personally cost me $125 out the door, 25 lbs. Any dealer would hand over his trophy wife to buy it for that price now and toss in his kids if r-22 was still $300 a 30 lb can.
View Quote

Hell I remember buying r22 for 170 a can over the counter.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:23:24 PM EDT
[#17]

People are shit.

Those days are gone.
View Quote

Your one of the good ones. You should get a 10% patch or something
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:47:13 PM EDT
[#18]
One of my guys who works for me just had the tech out telling him he needed to replace his system. Yeah, no.

Our friend from church went out to check on his system. His diagnosis, good for at least another 8 - 10 years.

I lost a capacitor in mine last week. The biggest issue was Grainger didn't stock the cap. I found another local HVAC store that stocked. $15 I was up and running.

It was a Titan Pro, not the best brand.

I decided to reorder a GE Genteq. Actually my unit has two capacitors, I reordered 2. Even though the second one is still running after 10 years, I'm going to replace it. I also ordered a new contactor. Looks a bit worn, why put stress on the motor and compressor. I'm basically replacing all the electronic parts that don't directly involve the refrigerant. It's costing me $100. You aren't going to get a service guy to touch your unit for that.

For the record, I don't do AC work, but I manage a large facility with 44 exhaust fans and dozens of Modine natural gas heaters, alot of it has the same basic electrical architecture of your outside AC unit.

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 4:18:43 PM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

Got a link for the test?  Im sick of getting screwed.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 4:27:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By MorningNapalm:

That's so easy to get around. Just tell them you work for XYZ company. Call first and have the parts waiting for you at will call.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MorningNapalm:
Originally Posted By Into_the_Void:
Wait until you find out about the absolute cock sucking fuck HVAC supply shops that won't sell to you because fuck you

That's so easy to get around. Just tell them you work for XYZ company. Call first and have the parts waiting for you at will call.

Been there, done that….. lol

“My boss sent me over to pick this up”
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 4:31:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Had a family member that worked in HVAC for years and he said the same thing. Every company he worked for was very shady and made most of their money on upsells of parts and straight up replacement systems. They were told to try and repair things that were not broken to sell parts that were not needed. This included an extremely large brand name commercial name most people would recognize in the HVAC world.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 4:37:00 PM EDT
[#22]
I won't share the story about getting mis-diagnosed on a HVAC issue, but I'll share this tidbit.

The tech was a decent enough guy, had a nice Fluke meter that he tested everything with.

He left and 20-minutes later the doorbell rang.  Couldn't find his meter so I let him back in to check the areas he was working in (attic, garage, outside unit area).   He didn't find it and started getting pissy, talked about how expensive it was, he was going to lose money on this job, etc and asked to look inside my tool chest.  I declined that option and sent him out, told him I'd call if I found it.  

Some years later I found it while cutting the hedges around the compressor unit, buried well inside there.   Must have fallen off his belt.  The irrigation wasn't kind to it and it no longer works.   If he hadn't indirectly accused me of stealing it, I would have called him when I found it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 5:12:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Going through this currently, unfortunately. AC died right near the end of the summer last year. We have a home warranty, so they recommended a dude to come out and check. The outside condensing unit was older than the house (made in 1996 and house was built in 2000) so I wasn't surprised that it needed to be replaced. Dude replaced it, I paid my $100 deductible and that was that. Me, not knowing a damn thing about HVAC, noticed ice forming on the lines and figured "Yeah, that must be working well to get that cold." Well immediately after that it started getting cold so we didn't use it. Fast forward to a month ago, starting to get hot, turn the AC on and it can't keep up. Pipes freeze again. Look it up, turns out that's not good. Try to call the first dude, doesn't answer. Call another company who come out and immediately he tells me that the condensing unit that he installed is incompatible with the coil in the house. New unit runs R32 and my old unit runs R410A. Home warranty will only give $1000 towards coil replacement since they already paid fucko. I call the highest rated HVAC company in the area who have been in business for almost 100 years. Basically are dumbfounded that fucko did that without changing the coil/checking and accuse him of getting his license online. Oh well, they found me a coil that would fit my existing system so I wouldn't need to redo ducting, etc like one of the other companies I called said I would (and quoted me $8,000 to do). $1,200 for parts and labor, which actually seem lower for prices for this area.

Well, they change the coil and the dude goes to test it to find out that the condensing unit fucko put in is a 3 ton while the coil they put in is a 2.5 ton. Again, incompatible. They said that the coil they replaced was 2.5 ton. I finally get a hold of fucko who swears up and down that the unit he replaced was also a 3 ton (he could remember that but didn't remember who I was or even that he came to my house before). Come to find out talking with friends who work in construction fields that this is supposedly a common practice to make it so they have to come back to do more work? I don't know, all I know is I'm pissed.

Well, the upstanding company (I hope at least) will replace the unit with a 2.5 ton for $2,000 parts and labor, and now the home warranty company is telling me to go fuck myself if I don't use the original fucko that messed up. Well, not that I want to use him, but if it will save me $2k I'll take a chance, but now he won't take my calls. Ugh.

Side note: All of these tonnage calculators I'm finding are recommending a 3 ton unit for my house (1,760 sq/f) but the upstanding company says 2.5 will be fine. Anyone in the business have any insight on that? Don't want to have all of this done to find it's not enough to keep up.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 5:32:54 PM EDT
[#24]
It's not just the tradespeople and contractors, it's the manufacturing companies too.
Everything now has processors controlling the devices actions, do the manufacturers provide a way to ask the processor what's wrong - no they don't.
For example the post about the fan not running causing the heating elements to not turn on, it's the processor that is checking that the fan is running and refusing to turn on the heat, can the repair person hookup on a laptop or tablet to have the processor tell them this is the problem - no they can't. Can they get the processor to tell them what each sensor is reporting to figure out one of the sensors is bad - no. This problem goes back to the manufacturers as well as the repair people.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 5:42:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By 14Karat:
I got tired of the nickel and dime issues of my split system so I jerked it out and put in a Mr Cool 3 ton split unit.  That thing really cools and heats.  $3,500.
View Quote

My Mr cool hasn't been perfect but it works.  They've been a little challenging on two warranty claims less than 12 months in, but they still took care of me, mostly.  I had to waste about 800 bucks to refil a leaking system, they sent new lines under warranty but wouldn't pay for the gas.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 5:48:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By BillyDBerger:

View All Quotes

Bro you can buy the gas online, just check the box that says its for resale.  In minecraft.  Allied Refridgerents.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 6:46:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Last home I had a pretty good guy that talked about the crooks in his trade. He would go out of his way to repair my system at a great price.  Replacement was like him throwing in the towel.  His new system prices were about 65% of everyone else.

Then I moved.  System died last fall from a Freon leak.  It was 16 years old.  A friends SIL is starting up an HVAC company on the side.  He hooked me up for market value and he lives 10 minutes down the street.  Only time I might have an issue is if he’s on vacation and out of town.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 7:11:19 PM EDT
[#28]

People are shit.

Those days are gone.
View Quote

corporate greed and profit margins, %'s etc are the root cause for all this shit in trades.  then comes how they are paid and treated. then them as a person. those combined, will dictate how the worker performs. if upper management is on their back to pump out calls, little pay, treated like shit, the worker is more likely to give less fucks than grow in the field and turn out more valuable.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 7:14:16 PM EDT
[#29]

People are shit.

Those days are gone.
View Quote

The way people talk here trades are literally the only way you will be successful in our country? Now it’s all filled with scammers and low lives one step above stick up artist?
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 7:19:54 PM EDT
[#30]

I'll be another guy who was reasonably good at diagnostics gone in well under 2 months.

I've always offered to try to help diagnose systems if someone is on ARFcom and can read a meter and know what the reads mean.
View Quote

fuck yea dude.

2 summers ago, a dude here had his AC down and out. had a board and etc, posted pictures, we went back and forth in a thread and he bought me a membership here, got him going until a new board came in.

I just wish the kids that are coming into this field take it more as a career instead of a part time 8 hour day job. alot of the kids entering trades still live at home with little structure, no push to get a house, move out, start their lives. I ALWAYS pick my phone up to help.  but god damn, last week a 62 year old guy, 40 years in the field, had an issue, called me, I asked what the pressures were, what the superheat was, and if he had power here and here. "I dont have my meter on me but I have a ticker... and I dont know the pressures". I said when you can give me the SH and pressures and what the voltages are here and here when your in defrost, call me back.  he called me back, talked with him, it was only a dirty condenser for the freezer.  
give me a fucking break dude. im half your age, I wanted to say that so bad.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 7:20:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SuperSixOne] [#31]
Reminds me of when I lived in DFW with my Toyota and bought a (used) Lexus.
Mom and pop shop to handle all my car issues on the Toyota; Oil changes, tires, a water pump going bad.. respectable prices and never an issue. Brought the Lexus in for an Oil change and spark plugs  - $1100 quote .

I called the Lexus dealership for a quote on the same services: $450. Massive Fuck you from the mom and pop shop. Never went back. I wonder if these places calculate in the "pissed off the customer" factor when trying to screw people over, but I guess not.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 7:21:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Emeoba69:

The way people talk here trades are literally the only way you will be successful in our country? Now it’s all filled with scammers and low lives one step above stick up artist?
View Quote

It IS a "thing" here.  Something about "making it" with your own sweat and back-breaking labor that appeals to a lot of folks.  They even see it as being more "earned" and somehow morally better than someone in say, a white collar profession that earns his living largely with his intellect.  GD has always ever since I have lurked here had a bit of an "anti-intellectual" bent to it.  For the better or worse I don't know.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 7:21:56 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm a jack of all trades master of none but it seems to me that the only real justification for AC replacment is leaking coils or a compressor and even then the unit should be old enough for energy efficiency to factor in.

Like most third world nations American men are going to have to catch up on fixing our own crap.
Truly skilled techs are hard to find in a sea of scammers and bloated part swappers.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 7:47:27 PM EDT
[#34]
A friend of mine owns an AC company. YEARS ago he told me "yes I can fix it but I won't. I'll sell them a new unit though".
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:52:30 PM EDT
[#35]

How big is your BIL's house? 10-11 lb's is a shit ton of 410 for a typical residential house unless there are stupidly long runs and it would have to be 100 empty to boot. only reason to crack into the systems is for either coil or the TXV and unless it's the outside unit coil, you can pull most of it back into it, close the valves, and keep it to reuse.
View Quote

1700 sf packaged unit think 4 or 5 ton in az.sounded like alot to me as well but the price was insane.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:00:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ThreadKiller] [#36]
I found a good HVAC guy a few years ago when both of our AC units (5 ton and 2 ton) wouldn't come on in the Spring. The first company I called (big local company with tons of "good" reviews) came out and spent about 15 minutes in the attic and said that both units need to be replaced due to leaking coils. Quoted like 15k for replacement. I laughed him out of the house and he didn't even charge for the "inspection". A friend recommended a guy that owns his own, small AC company. He came out and fixed both units for $300 bucks and even gave me tips for troubleshooting. Turns out it was just a bad mainboard on one, and a bad capacitor on the other. He even topped off the R19 on the big unit for free. Been using him ever since for when I am over my head. That said, I've done a number of repairs on the units myself ever since. Usually just a bad capacitor in the condenser unit. Always check that first if the AC is blowing but the outside unit isn't coming on. It's usually under $30 and 10 minutes of your time. Also I have replaced blower motors and he is cool enough where I can message him pics and he is willing to walk me through it. I only pay him for his time and advice.

That said, he recently had to replace my 20 year old 5 ton unit, because it was low pressure and probably leaking. He offered to charge it but that was going to be expensive due to the cost of R19 and he was convinced it was leaking in the evaporator (the same thing the first guy lied about 5 years before). He recommend a new 5 ton unit and even sent me the part numbers with his quote. It was $6400 total and it was about $5k in parts for the evaporator and condenser. So ~$1400 for the install, 3 guys working at my house for about 3 hours. I figure that was fair for warrantied work and no BS. That comes to ~$150 per hour per man. They even took the time to show me the rusted out evaporator to prove that I made the right choice.

But yeah, most of those guys are absolute liars and crooks.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:56:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By ar15robert:
told him needed 10-11 pounds of r410
View Quote

That's gotta be close to twice the required charge.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:20:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Kachael:
Unfortunately you see alot of this either from service companies or auto repair shops.

No one wants to troubleshoot anymore, plus they rather upsell you a new unit.

Unfortunately these companies are being extremely short sighted by grabbing the big dollars right up front and not gaining the trust of a new or existing customer.

You think a person is going to call a company back after they stuck it to them
View Quote

Yep. Everyone is quick to shit on old equipment but sometimes the old stuff is good and easier to maintain. My furnace is about 3 years older than me and it's running fine after I replaced my inducer motor. No leaks or anything and heat exchanger is fine. I'd rather not buy something new and risk problems.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:43:40 PM EDT
[#39]
I cringe at the idea of having to replace our furnace.

I know it could do it myself, but ... the air conditioner is out of my skill set for that. Plus I want to upgrade at the same time.

I'll call my "guy" and have him get me a quote, then prepare for the shitshow that will ensue.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:52:11 PM EDT
[#40]

View Quote

https://www.skillcatapp.com/

Easily done in under a month, self paced.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:04:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GDaawg] [#41]
My sister got her oil changed at Skill Lube the other day. Shop tried to sell her $1200 worth of brake pads and rotors during tire rotation. Thank God her head was screwed on straight that day and she said no.

She brought the car to me so I could take a look.
Car has 35k miles on it and pads still look mint.

This is just one small example of the rip off artists this country employees in the trades. Trust no one....
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:07:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Just about "EverYoNe" is looking to Fuck you Extra Hard Today!
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:08:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Biggus_Dickus:
At least most of them, in my recent experience.

Own a duplex. A double with family living in both halves. Since we've lived here, I've had the HVAC systems replaced on both sides. The oldest one is 14 years. That one quit running.

Since I've been baby sitting my grandson and taking care of my 90 year old mother who broke her hip a couple months ago, I don't have a lot of spare time, so I call the HVAC company we bought from and had install it.

Guy comes out, does a few checks and then comes to me. Tells me it's either the blower motor or the ECM and he would replace both for 3300 dollars, but he thought I should just buy a new one (from him of course). Ummm, no. Goodbye.

Call a different, larger area company. Long story shortened somewhat, exact same story, except 4800 bucks and "it's 14 years old. You should just buy a new one (from us of course).
Ummm, no. Goodbye.

Both made it sound like 14 years was ancient. When questioned on this, the second guy claimed they needed replaced every 10 to 15 years.

So I take the thing apart, get the part numbers from the motor and controllers. Order the parts on line and when they arrived, installed them and it starts right up and runs perfect.

For less than 2 hours work and about $325, I fixed it myself.

As mentioned, I have a lot taking up my time, and was willing to pay a reasonable amount to fix my furnace. Had either offered to do it for $1200-$1500, I likely would have had them do it just for convenience. Instead, they went passed that robbery amount (I did mention I fixed it for $335 and less than 2 hours work, right?) and went straight to rape.

If you can, fix it yourself. If not, find a trustworthy handyman. The HVAC service companies have no interest in fixing your equipment and will try to sell you new, cause that's where the big payday is.

View Quote

Appears to me the big pay day is repair
$325 marked up to $3300
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:11:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Going through this exact thing right now.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 12:03:47 AM EDT
[#45]

Already ran in to that when finding the parts I needed.
View Quote

Don’t waste your time with supply houses, nearly everything is on Amazon
When I worked in hvac most of what we ordered for repairs was from Amazon.

And for a personal fuck hvac companies story, this last year I bought a investment house and the furnace was pushing past 40 years old and still running

I’ve replaced a lot of them over the years and didn’t really want to dive into the project, out of 3 companies quotes the cheapest was 7k

I ended up buying a Goodman furnace from Amazon and installed it my self and it’s actually a fully code install, the furnace even shipped free with prime and delivered on a pallet for me to pick up from a local business

I spent less than 1600 dollars and in 12 hours (when I did this as a job 6-8 hours was normal)
I saved over 5k

And just because you spend the money on a company to put in your shit don’t assume it’s code, our own guys could never finish an install correctly and we constantly had to fix shit.

It’s absolutely mind blowing I can save more than 5k in 12 hours and do better work than most of those idiots

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 12:11:37 AM EDT
[#46]
At least most of them, in my recent experience.

Own a duplex. A double with family living in both halves. Since we've lived here, I've had the HVAC systems replaced on both sides. The oldest one is 14 years. That one quit running.

Since I've been baby sitting my grandson and taking care of my 90 year old mother who broke her hip a couple months ago, I don't have a lot of spare time, so I call the HVAC company we bought from and had install it.

Guy comes out, does a few checks and then comes to me. Tells me it's either the blower motor or the ECM and he would replace both for 3300 dollars, but he thought I should just buy a new one (from him of course). Ummm, no. Goodbye.

Call a different, larger area company. Long story shortened somewhat, exact same story, except 4800 bucks and "it's 14 years old. You should just buy a new one (from us of course).
Ummm, no. Goodbye.

Both made it sound like 14 years was ancient. When questioned on this, the second guy claimed they needed replaced every 10 to 15 years.

So I take the thing apart, get the part numbers from the motor and controllers. Order the parts on line and when they arrived, installed them and it starts right up and runs perfect.

For less than 2 hours work and about $325, I fixed it myself.

As mentioned, I have a lot taking up my time, and was willing to pay a reasonable amount to fix my furnace. Had either offered to do it for $1200-$1500, I likely would have had them do it just for convenience. Instead, they went passed that robbery amount (I did mention I fixed it for $335 and less than 2 hours work, right?) and went straight to rape.

If you can, fix it yourself. If not, find a trustworthy handyman. The HVAC service companies have no interest in fixing your equipment and will try to sell you new, cause that's where the big payday is.

View Quote

Residential can be pretty bad now a days.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 12:14:29 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By ChuckcJax:

That's gotta be close to twice the required charge.
View Quote

Yup house is only 2.5 years old as well. Ac guys we’re gonna make their money one way or another.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:01:56 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Lorduss:

Don’t waste your time with supply houses, nearly everything is on Amazon

View Quote

I keep the cheaper items on hand so I don't have to wait for shipping.

Capacitors, contractors, igniters, etc. I can be back up and running in minutes.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:52:28 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Into_the_Void:
A guy down the road is part of a father son HVAC/plumbing business.  He has my loyalty for life if it's beyond my knowledge and I need help.  A few years he came out for what was essentially an emergency call on my heater.  After a half hour of fucking with it, it randomly started working without him doing anything.  He didn't charge a penny because "I didn't do anything to make it work again.". I tried paying just for him showing up, he refused.

It took months for me to figure out it was a pressure switch that was intermittent.

Edit - guys in the trades, pay attention.  I now recommend him to everyone.
View Quote

It took me a whole day of dicking around with my 25+ y.o. high-efficiency furnace, even replacing a $100 (a friend in the biz hooked me up with his wholesaler) circuit board, to figure out that one of the pressure switches had water in it from condensation. I took the switch off, drained a couple of cc's of water out and was back in business. Zero cost fix!
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:12:47 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By 1969GTX:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 1969GTX:

I’m a cybersecurity geek by day but I think I'm gonna do this too for the hell of it
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top