BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:38:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By NotJackMiller:

You miss the best planting times and your schedule slips.
View Quote

By taking a three-day weekend?  Come on
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:58:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By MMcCall:

By taking a three-day weekend?  Come on
View Quote

Depending on where they are at, final planting deadlines are also coming up to receive full crop insurance coverage.

Can't even imagine the hilarity of high schoolers and hired help versus trees, fence posts and gas wells if the markers have to come out.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 12:00:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By SperlingPE:

Reducing waste of what?
Talk to me about this efficiency you speak of.  What exactly would be less efficient?  How is it measured?

I’m not disagreeing with you.

Words get thrown about with no context and suddenly the gospel is written in stone.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SperlingPE:
Originally Posted By hma1:
A couple of local farmers told me they had problems. This is a thing. If they drive the tractors manually while planting, spraying and harvesting will be problematic and less efficient. Autosteer is so precise that it puts the machine in the exact spot, (+-2 cm), for harvest as it was for planting, reducing waste.

Reducing waste of what?
Talk to me about this efficiency you speak of.  What exactly would be less efficient?  How is it measured?

I’m not disagreeing with you.

Words get thrown about with no context and suddenly the gospel is written in stone.

Here’s an example.  Some farmers put fertilizer into the ground in bands at the same spacing they will later plant corn.  They use RTK to plant the corn directly into those fertilizer bands.  This practice reduces the amount of fertilizer they need to use and minimizes runoff.  Now, if the farmer is planting during an anomaly like this and misses the bands, his yield drops.  How much?  I don’t know.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 12:02:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By racer765:
anyone with their heads so far up their ass they didn't know of six X class flares with at least 4 cme hitting Earth in the last few days deserves to have their planting fucked up.  just wait a couple days until the gps system is back to predictable accuracy.  

I worked for the first precision farming equipment seller in the market (Deere, Collins, IH were not in yet) and even then paying attention to space weather was a thing.  not sure it was called space weather back then.  Internet was barely functional.
View Quote

Just wait for the rain that’s falling in LandMark’s service area right now and is forecast to continue off and on all week?  Lots of people were out the past couple days trying to get ahead of it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 12:15:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Gamma762] [#5]
It's only a problem for people who can't drive an effing tractor.

The real problem isn't the solar storms, it's the rain storms every 72 hours.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 12:31:23 AM EDT
[#6]
My WAAS auto steer wasn’t working this morning, it eventually started working after a half hour of farmer steering.
Our RTK on the airseeder balked a bit early in the day, it started working again after one round.
Auto steer saves us 3%-5% for Spring inputs. No over lapping, no skips.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 12:42:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Oh no, a day or two with some GPS degradation the instagram farmer can’t cope or what? Doom! Doooooooom! LOL These people.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 12:46:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By CavScout:
Oh no, a day or two with some GPS degradation the instagram farmer can’t cope or what? Doom! Doooooooom! LOL These people.
View Quote

Most of my arfcom posting is courtesy of auto steer and apparently my auto steer doesn't work often. .
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 12:46:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Meh, I'm in Monmouth Illinois right now and there are farmers all over planting and doing other farm shit.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top